2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What Was Ben Hogan's Swing Speed?

Lie angle changes with bare hands........whow!!! I thought he was a super golfer...turns out he may have been Superman???? Someone needs another drink.:drinks:

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

• 1 month later...

sorry, but there's no way he bent the hosel by grabbing it and the clubhead and twisting. No where near enough leverage there. He's not a god, he hit bad shots, he hit some off the planet, and he can't bend a 2 inch piece of steel with his bare hands.

I think he swung it pretty hard, just watch him swing, he knew how to release some serious angles/energy into the ball and he hit it on the button more times than not. With modern equipment I'd say he would be similar to a jason day type player. Surprisingly long at times given their size.

[quote name='sanderslongdrive' timestamp='1282355773' post='2652316']
Is it possible using footage from old tapes to scientifically calculate swing speed?

If so does anyone know BH's SS?

I would love to calculate how far he would likely hit using today's equipment.
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LM7h5hXIY&NR=1[/media]

• 1 month later...

There's a story about a Hogan-Snead match (might have been the Wonderful World of Golf) and Snead lets one rip on the first hole and Hogan follows and outdrives him -- and apparently telling Snead that he could do it any time he wanted. He had fought the hooks in his early years and reined himself in to keep the ball in play. Don't know if the story is true, but I've heard it from several old timers, so there's a chance it is. I've heard the Arnie Masters story too. Nicklaus often said he'd rather be 250 in the fairway than 260 in the rough, so I guess Hogan felt the same, especially with his hooking problem.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

Hogan used to compete in long driving events in his early years. he could get it out there if he had to, for sure

About his driver, I heard from Gary Player (who idolises him) that he was practising beside him before the 1958 US Open at Southern Hills. An official comes out and tells Hogan there's a trans- Atlaantic phone call for him. Hogan set off for the clubhouse & Player, after making sure he was completely out of sight, picked up his driver to try it out. he said it was as heavy as hell, the shaft was like a telegraph pole and the grip (which was pretty thick) had a ridge running through it, which was set way weak ('open') Player hit 4 shots with it, none of which really got off the ground.

He was like 5'2" tall. Sure, the beanie makes him look 6 foot....

Luke would crush him big time.

Not.

I can watch Hogan's swing for hours, it is really so beautiful. I cannot believe his takeaway and his extension. His turn is so powerful it it awesome. His finish is also so high it is fantastic.

I don't like how he sets up to the ball, but I am no Hogan.

I am Jack Pearsall.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Here is another way to triangulate his clubhead speed based on one pretty solid datapoint about how FAR he hit the ball post-accident.

There is a plaque at Merion where Hogan hit his famous 1-iron shot that is 223 yards from the center of the green. I don't know the dimensions of the green but just say for the sake of argument that that the pin was in the middle of the green that day. A 223-yard 1-iron isn't super-long and considering that a 1-iron back then is more like a 2-iron today (probably 19*), that is probably 2 if not 3 clubs shorter than what top pros can hit today to that same distance.

Even if you take off another club of distance because of the modern ball, Hogan's 1-iron wasn't crazy long at all.

Add 10 yards for a 4-wood, another 10 yards for a 3-wood and 20 more yards for a driver and you are looking at 260 distance with the big dog. 260 distance back then probably required a carry of 245-250 because the fairways didn't roll out as much as they do today. With modern equipment and a decent launch angle and spinrate, that can be achieved with a swingspeed in the low 100s (per Trackman)

Take into account lower COR with a wooden driver and less distance with a balata ball and Hogan probably swung in the low- to mid- teens (113-115) to achieve those numbers back in his day. He is nowhere near a Dustin Johnson in terms of clubhead speed and distance and probably would be outdriven by a Ricky Fowler as well. But Hogan would always be in the fairway :)

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1320794062' post='3776575']
Here is another way to triangulate his clubhead speed based on one pretty solid datapoint about how FAR he hit the ball post-accident.

There is a plaque at Merion where Hogan hit his famous 1-iron shot that is 223 yards from the center of the green. I don't know the dimensions of the green but just say for the sake of argument that that the pin was in the middle of the green that day. A 223-yard 1-iron isn't super-long and considering that a 1-iron back then is more like a 2-iron today (probably 19*), that is probably 2 if not 3 clubs shorter than what top pros can hit today to that same distance.

Even if you take off another club of distance because of the modern ball, Hogan's 1-iron wasn't crazy long at all.

Add 10 yards for a 4-wood, another 10 yards for a 3-wood and 20 more yards for a driver and you are looking at 260 distance with the big dog. 260 distance back then probably required a carry of 245-250 because the fairways didn't roll out as much as they do today. With modern equipment and a decent launch angle and spinrate, that can be achieved with a swingspeed in the low 100s (per Trackman)

Take into account lower COR with a wooden driver and less distance with a balata ball and Hogan probably swung in the low- to mid- teens (113-115) to achieve those numbers back in his day. He is nowhere near a Dustin Johnson in terms of clubhead speed and distance and probably would be outdriven by a Ricky Fowler as well. But Hogan would always be in the fairway :)
[/quote]

The major flaw with this logic is assuming that Hogan hit a 1 iron based on distance. Hogan rarely played a club based on distance, more often he hit the club that felt right. I base this on him being quoted as saying this in several sources. I don't have a specific source, but I remember reading that he stated if he wanted to hit a 150 yard shot he would base it on feel, if he wanted to hit a 7 iron 150 he would, if he wanted to hit a 5 iron 150 he would, if he wanted to hit a 5 wood 150, he would.He also stated that if he felt the need to hit a driver for a 200 yard shot, he would, if he felt like hitting it 275, he could, or futher. Kris Tschetter, in her book, says that he, in the one 9 hole "match" they played in the 80's was out driving three Div 1 ladie golfers consistantly. The ladies were playing from the ladies tees and he was playing from the tips, as much as 25 yards behind them, remember that he was in his 70's at this time. Another story, possibly apocryphal, has Hogan hitting his persimmon driver for the last time, teeing up three balls in succession, hitting the first badly, then the other two down the middle and long, 265+ and close enough together put a towel over, again in his late 70's or early 80's. Something to remember, no matter his swing speed, he was never obsessed with distance, especially after the accident. He could be as long as anyone, and often was, but placement was his obsession, the best place to attack the next shot from.

• 1 month later...

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1320811339' post='3777761']
[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1320794062' post='3776575']

[/quote]

The major flaw with this logic is assuming that Hogan hit a 1 iron based on distance. Hogan rarely played a club based on distance, more often he hit the club that felt right. I base this on him being quoted as saying this in several sources. I don't have a specific source, but I remember reading that he stated if he wanted to hit a 150 yard shot he would base it on feel, if he wanted to hit a 7 iron 150 he would, if he wanted to hit a 5 iron 150 he would, if he wanted to hit a 5 wood 150, he would.He also stated that if he felt the need to hit a driver for a 200 yard shot, he would, if he felt like hitting it 275, he could, or futher. Kris Tschetter, in her book, says that he, in the one 9 hole "match" they played in the 80's was out driving three Div 1 ladie golfers consistantly. The ladies were playing from the ladies tees and he was playing from the tips, as much as 25 yards behind them, remember that he was in his 70's at this time. Another story, possibly apocryphal, has Hogan hitting his persimmon driver for the last time, teeing up three balls in succession, hitting the first badly, then the other two down the middle and long, 265+ and close enough together put a towel over, again in his late 70's or early 80's. Something to remember, no matter his swing speed, he was never obsessed with distance, especially after the accident. He could be as long as anyone, and often was, but placement was his obsession, the best place to attack the next shot from.
[/quote]

You guys are forgetting that back then the club was shorter/heavier so you need to add club head speed, I think he was Bubba long.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Tour AD XC 6X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75TXM5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8X

Ping i230 4, iBlade 5-9, SM9 46* - KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide Pro Forged 50*, Epon Tour M Muko 56*, 60*- Modus 125W

Evnroll ER5.1

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1295742693' post='2915874']
285 with persimmon and steel is quite a whack. Dude would be huge with today's equipment, although that idea seems wrong somehow.
[/quote]

Same stuff that the record 515 yard shot was hit with; dont see any of those happening with drivers of similar length. I dont think Hogan would like new equipment

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1320811339' post='3777761']
[/quote]

I recall a story about Seve, where he demonstrated the ability to hit a full shot into the green from 150 yards with every iron/wood club in the bag. He's also supposed to have gone round Penina in 1-over just using a 3-iron (including shots in bunkers)

So your point about Hogan basing his shots on feel is well made - these guys were plenty good enough to do things with a golf club that are pure fantasy for most of us.

Modern pros seem to have average driver swing speeds between 100-125 from what I've found on the internet. I'd imagine Hogan would be similar.

It's always interesting to see how many WRXers seem to have average swing speeds faster than the fastest current tour professional, which is Alvaro Quiros at 125mph average. Bubba is 123 according to the PGA Tours own stats, and US PGA tour average about 110-111.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Random Hack' timestamp='1304968641' post='3219428']
[quote name='bunkerputt' timestamp='1304949634' post='3218622']
Ben Hogan woke up every day, ate a pound of bacon, and chopped down a tree with his bare hands. That very tree he would whittle into a golf club that he would then swing at phenomenal speeds. One can only imagine how shots from his 5'7" frame dwarfed the measly 6'4" Dustin Johnson, or the paltry 6'1" Gary Woodland, who incidentally has an estimated high ball speed over 200mph. No, these guys can only hope and dream that someday their pure and unrivaled athleticism with their entire body can even come close to one little trick Ben Hogan used with one tiny part of his body to knock a fly off a coke bottle at 350 yards every day of the year. Come on guys.
[/quote]

+1,000,000

Anyone who thinks 5'7 and 140 pound Ben Hogan would swing 120+ and be top five in driving distance today needs to send me some of what they're smoking.

Pulling a number out of my educated but guessing arse, I'd put his SS (with modern equipment) somewhere in the 110ish range, which means he was right around 100 with the older equipment.

Jack Nicklaus was longer than anyone when he came out, and his average driver (from Golf My Way) was 250, although he said he could get it out there to 260 "without tearing any muscles"...............so now Hogan is 30 yards longer than Nicklaus?
[/quote]

Mr. Random Hack, instead of pulling random numbers out of your educated but guessing arse, why don't you do some research? OK. I'll do it for you. On July 7, 1937 Ben Hogan came in second place in a long driver competition. So when distance was the ultimate goal, Ben hogan was near the top. Put modern equipment in his hands and a super ball and Ben hogan would have a fair shot of being towards the top of the driving stats, he would definitely be above average.

Besides, look it McIlroy, at 5'9" 160 lbs he was 7th in driving distance (307.2 yds) in 2011. Better yet, look at 5'1" Tadd Fujikawa, he averaged 298 yds at the Sony Open last week.

Here is the proof that in his era, when distance mattered Hogan would be near the top: [attachment=991909:Hogan_Long_Drive.pdf]

[quote name='FourDogs' timestamp='1327167185' post='4130233']
I remember a quote from Davis Love III after he was given a persi9mmon driver and old style balls at the range. Well hit shots were similar to faded 4-irons.
[/quote]

Four dogs:

I would like to see that quote. - I used to watch him hit
His persimmon driver 260 to 280 with the "old" ball all the
Time.

As a matter of fact - I did too.

Davis Love grew up with persimmon and played persimmon on the tour when he started out.

Also, saying that Hogan swung at 110 - 115 is in the Dustin Johnson area is WRONG. Dustin swings much faster.

Hogan was accurate, he was not a superman, he was not the longest of his era. Quit this crap like he is a GOD, he was an exceptional pro golfer, and thats all!

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1327205913' post='4132919']
Davis Love grew up with persimmon and played persimmon on the tour when he started out.

Also, saying that Hogan swung at 110 - 115 is in the Dustin Johnson area is WRONG. Dustin swings much faster.

Hogan was accurate, he was not a superman, he was not the longest of his era. Quit this crap like he is a GOD, he was an exceptional pro golfer, and thats all!
[/quote]

Yes, I agree DJ swings faster with modern equipment. What's his swing speed with steel-shafted persimmon?

Have you seen Hogan swing modern equipment and ball? NO. Then how can you claim that he has no shot at being towards the top of the driving distance stats? You do realize that by being heavier, persimmon and steal shafted clubs slow down swing speed. Plus the era he played in control was more important than distance.

This is not hero worship or treating Hogan like some deity. It comes down to analyzing constants and variables before making comments that can't be supported.

Isn't Justin 6'5" and Hogan approximately 5'8"? That accounts for a lot of club head speed. Distance aside, you seem to think that I am pooh-poohing Hogan, I am not! Just pointing out that Hogan had little interest in distance, he played to win, he used a superior brain, planning, and accuracy.

My point was also to point out that too many posters apply Super-human qualities to Hogan. Obviously, he was one of the greatest golfers to have played the game. But, he had flaws that others seem not to acknowledge. Hogan had no secret, as he said "Dig it out of the dirt", to me that meant to practice until you accomplished what was right for you. It is interesting that many say he would have won more than anyone if he had not had the auto accident. The strange thing is the accident just made him more determined, his record setting years were after the accident. Sometimes those with physical flaws or hendrences most adapt to the physical flaws and play better (example: Calvin Pete, Larry Miller,). Hogan succeeded because he was single minded and practiced ridiculously. He was a miserable person to be around and cared for very few people.

I personally never met Ben Hogan, but I played many rounds of golf with his cousin Ray Hogan. Hogan was a great golfer, yes. Too much attributed to his length in these posts when he himself didn't strive for length. I think that many don't understand the correct approach to the game or the man.

first, Hogan kind of did have a secret, that was brought up by Geoff in the Encyclopedia Texarcana ,

"the connection of the upper arms through impact, specifially the upper left arm. As the core unwinds around the left pivot point, the arms are pulled tight to the chest, which forces the butt of the shaft to the left thereby squaring the face. To quote Burke, “He always told me, you don't keep this arm (meaning left arm) on your chest long enough in the swing. You gotta' keep it tight to the chest and take it AROUND (unwinding) with your hips and shoulders (core).” He never mentions this in any of the legitimate Hogan sources."

Legitimate or not I'm not sure, but Geoff knows as much about Hogan and his swing as anybody.

Again distance was not Hogan's primary objective. I remember seeing the Shell Houston Open on the TV and recalling that Hogan DID NOT MISS ONE FAIRWAY. Precision was the key for Hogan.

In regards to distance I would only be guessing, just like EVERYONE here has been. fool.gif... What everyone forgets to account for is the incredible lag and compression Mr. Hogan created, coupled with his amazing ball striking, I would imagine that he always (99%) would hit the ball on the NUTS taking the most advantage of modern day golf club advantages.

Also in regards the post above with the New Paper Clip where Hogan avg. 335, you do have to account for the fact that he was 165 yds above- any math guys here might be able to figure out the distance without the height advantage, so the distance is skewed and needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Would like to hear though when someone has some sound numbers, not just I have an old driver and some wound balls, because you (or anyone for that matter) could replicate the same ball contact and swing characteristics Mr. Hogan did

Callaway Epic LS 9* MMT 70s
Taylormade SIM2 Ti 5W Evenflow Riptide X

Taylormade SIM2 4H Ventus S
New Level 902 5-P TTx100 SS
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* TTs400
Evenroll EV-2
Bridgestone B-X
Vessel

That Lookout Point pdf is great. For anyone else that has played there it is off a cliff, holes 1 and 10 both are

Number 1 is a 423 yarder and if you swing 110mph you can get within 50-75 yards of the green.

I am surprised no one is quoting that when Hogan played with a young Nicklaus he was in awe of both Jack's distance and mile high trajectory. (Granted BH was past his prime). Nicklaus had his swing speed measured at 117 when he was in his late 50's ... and still managing a top 10 at The Masters.

I'm going to guess Jack was 122-124 in his heyday and Hogan was a 112 to 116 guy

The quote on Jones at 117 is bang on I believe. One of his old video's has him [u]repeatedly[/u] knocking 4 woods onto a green from 235-240 yards out, and it was an uphill shot .. with freakin' hickory

Hogan seems to be a physical size and distance match perhaps with the new young phenom Bud Cauley ???

I think you guys are underestimating roll out in the old days. The courses were dry. Watch some of the old big 3 golf videos, Palmer is getting home from 260 with a two or 3 wood on some long par 5's

I played persimmon drivers from '79 to '91 and as ~112mph guy back then I can confirm that 275 yards was a massive blast. My home course had a 460 yarder and if you got to the 200 plate you were VERY happy. Man I miss the sound of liquid filled Maxfli balata's coming off my persimmon McGregor driver. You could curve those balls around a barn if you wanted to

PS I love the bending steel story. Reminds me of my old university golf coach from the early '90's, guy was an ex boxer and at 66 could bend a quarter between his two thumbs. Talk about freaky hand strength ! He once gave me a love tap to the ribs and i was winded for 5 minutes

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1327294388' post='4138209']
The strange thing is the accident just made him more determined, his record setting years were after the accident. [/quote]

If you mean 1953 as "His record setting years", you are correct. But he actually won 35 events in the approximately 3 years prior to the accident, (almost a 12 win per year average) or slightly more than half of all of his wins in a multi decade career. He won more majors after the wreck, mainly because he concentrated on The Masters and The US Open due to the limited schedule his injuries allowed him to compete for the remainder of his life. He wasn't a god, he was a man, but for those three years, he was the best in the world, maybe the best ever.

first, Hogan kind of did have a secret, that was brought up by Geoff in the Encyclopedia Texarcana ,

"the connection of the upper arms through impact, specifially the upper left arm. As the core unwinds around the left pivot point, the arms are pulled tight to the chest, which forces the butt of the shaft to the left thereby squaring the face. To quote Burke, "He always told me, you don't keep this arm (meaning left arm) on your chest long enough in the swing. You gotta' keep it tight to the chest and take it AROUND (unwinding) with your hips and shoulders (core)." He never mentions this in any of the legitimate Hogan sources."

Legitimate or not I'm not sure, but Geoff knows as much about Hogan and his swing as anybody.

Again distance was not Hogan's primary objective. I remember seeing the Shell Houston Open on the TV and recalling that Hogan DID NOT MISS ONE FAIRWAY. Precision was the key for Hogan.

In regards to distance I would only be guessing, just like EVERYONE here has been. fool.gif... What everyone forgets to account for is the incredible lag and compression Mr. Hogan created, coupled with his amazing ball striking, I would imagine that he always (99%) would hit the ball on the NUTS taking the most advantage of modern day golf club advantages.

Also in regards the post above with the New Paper Clip where Hogan avg. 335, you do have to account for the fact that he was 165 yds above- any math guys here might be able to figure out the distance without the height advantage, so the distance is skewed and needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Would like to hear though when someone has some sound numbers, not just I have an old driver and some wound balls, because you (or anyone for that matter) could replicate the same ball contact and swing characteristics Mr. Hogan did

You are absolutely correct, that's why I did not mention the 335 yards. However, all the pros that participated in that Long Drive competition teed off from the same tee, correct? So tee elevation does not matter when comparing the end result of that competition from 1937. The elevated tee was a constant for everyone.

What you can take from that first hand account is that during a pre-tournament long drive competition where distance matters, Hogan came in second place. Thus my reasoning Hogan would rank towards the top of the distance stats.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='elb' timestamp='1310302128' post='3378954']
woooo 101 boys. read it and weep.
[/quote]

there's no need to embellish Hogan,his record speak for itself. Jack at 250 yds was longer than anybody when he came out on tour.
There's a period youtube vid of Hogan and Father Keller, and Hogan hits a couple of drives around the 7min. mark in the vid. and he calls them out at 220 maybe 230. He does a slo-Mo demonstration of his swing too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXYWhqA50w8

• 3 months later...

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1282613302' post='2657989']
I'm sure you if you would give a 30 year old Ben Hogan a Major Brand Driver and a top flight shaft he would bomb it with anyone out there. His swing was so pure it was sick......
[/quote]He would have been similar to Rickie Fowler. Comparable body size and down-**** in his swing. He would have had plenty of pop with modern equipment. He was by no means a short hitter.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Panhandleprophet' timestamp='1337315589' post='4936024']
[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1282613302' post='2657989']
I'm sure you if you would give a 30 year old Ben Hogan a Major Brand Driver and a top flight shaft he would bomb it with anyone out there. His swing was so pure it was sick......
[/quote]He would have been similar to Rickie Fowler. Comparable body size and down-**** in his swing. He would have had plenty of pop with modern equipment. He was by no means a short hitter.
[/quote]

yap...maybe with a bit more zip but very similar I would imagine.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• 2 months later...