No push carts allowed?!?!

16 hours ago, Shilgy said:

It’s weird how folks think that cart is meant to be pushed.  Like the defunct(now Bagboy is using the name) Riksha those two wheelers are balance so well they almost roll forward on their own once tipped backwards a bit. Folks that pull those rather that push must really like the extra exertion.

Learned something new today.

Yeah, 2 wheels has to be pulled. But I stand by the fact that I haven't seen these on the course in years.

6 hours ago, Newby said:

I reckon virtually all courses in the UK have buggies (riding carts) available from the pro shop.

I stand corrected. Thank you

1 hour ago, larrybud said:

Learned something new today.

Yeah, 2 wheels has to be pulled. But I stand by the fact that I haven't seen these on the course in years.

Not the Riksha or ClicGear.  Those two wheelers are balanced that pushing is easier.  Easier on the back and shoulder as well to push.

And they are modern and seen often at our club. 

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

There are MANY US (and elsewhere) courses where walking is going to dramatically slow down the game because of extremely long green to tee distances. Often this is simply to accommodate the golf subdivision/golf course business model. You can be a purist and say that 'it should not be that way' but the result will be many fewer golf courses.

Until spinal stenosis forced a change in my golf habits I was walking and carrying my bag. But there were a number of holes where I would become a 'third golf bag' and ride to the next tee just so my playing partners did not have to wait on me. And not all those courses are subdivision courses (but most are). 

dave

ps. Thank you for your unsupported and completely worthless description of Americans on the golf course and in general life. We need more of this 😞

I am not sure if it was the chicken or the egg, but you are correct there are plenty of courses that were designed so they could not be walked in a practical way. 

I have faith that if golf course architects didn't have the crutch of making it a 'cart course' they would still be able to figure out great routing in allot of courses. You are correct though that there would be some courses that would not be possible. 

As for the PS. Sadly the US does have the highest rate  of obesity in the world. In the U.S., 70.9 percent of men and 61.9 percent of women are overweight or obese, compared to 38 percent of men and 36.9 percent of women worldwide. The WHO also ranks the us 143 out of 168 for exercise levels. Lazy might not be the correct world to use - but walking the course rather than riding would be a good thing for a pretty high number of golfers.

Edited by 2bGood

On 8/30/2010 at 2:00 PM, ChipDriver said:

[quote name='Headgames' timestamp='1283210868' post='2669817']
So, today I got an invite to play a round at a local private course by a good friend of mine who caddies there. We show up at 8am, unload the clubs, and head to the pratice and chipping greens.

Now, I've been using a push cart for the last year since I screwed up my back, and generally find it easier than constantly picking up and putting down a 20 lb bag. As we're heading to the first tee though, the assistant pro comes up and tells me that the course doesn't allow push or pul carts. Being a guest, I didn't think it was my place to question the courses policies, so I apologized, bu the cart back in the car, and then we teed off. The rest of the round went off without a hitch, but I'm just totally confused by their "no pull-push carts" policy, ESPECIALLY considering half of the groups we saw on the course were in POWER CARTS!

Anyone else heard of this? What possible reason could the club have for this? I tried to think of one, but came up zeros.
[/quote]

Less revenue. If you use your own cart - you only pay greens fee; carts bring in more revenue - i.e.- maintenance costs. It's sort of like going to sit in a restaurant and ordering water but no food.

[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204518504574420891621636098.html"]http://online.wsj.co...1621636098.html[/url]

That might be the worst analogy I've ever read.

If you want to use a dining analogy ... 

The green fees is the meal - choosing to walk is like drinking water instead of ordering wine.

Edited by tatertot
  • Sad 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 9/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, Shilgy said:

I stand corrected. Thank you

Not the Riksha or ClicGear.  Those two wheelers are balanced that pushing is easier.  Easier on the back and shoulder as well to push.

And they are modern and seen often at our club. 

We have a local course that uses the 2-wheeled ClicGears as their rentals.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

The WHO also ranks the us 143 out of 168 for exercise levels. Lazy might not be the correct world to use - but walking the course rather than riding would be a good thing for a pretty high number of golfers.

A little off track but exercising your way out of a 50 pound weight problem is not going to work for most people. Or at least that is what virtually every medically trained professional in this business says. And I know what it takes to exercise your way out of a 50 pound weight problem because I have done it (more than once). And it isn't a couple rounds of golf per week carrying your bag - nor is it something that most people would try to take on. 

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

A little off track but exercising your way out of a 50 pound weight problem is not going to work for most people. Or at least that is what virtually every trained professional in this business says. And I know what it takes to exercise your way out of a 50 pound weight problem because I have done it (more than once). And it isn't a couple rounds of golf per week carrying your bag - nor is it something that most people would try to take on. 

dave

I think your point go directly to the point of walking vs riding. It's our American way for instant gratification. Why walk a course when I can ride around and get where I need to be faster. Kinda the same with our weights here. As stated by others, it's not everyone but we have the instant gratification with food and giant portions. 

Then once you are use to something i.e riding in a cart, or larger food portions, anything else is different and not comfortable per se.

I will say here in FL I ride during the summer, I lose enjoyment battling high heat, high humidity. In the winter when cooler and the courses are packed anyways I usually walk since there's no where to go and I won't hold up much. 

9 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

A little off track but exercising your way out of a 50 pound weight problem is not going to work for most people. Or at least that is what virtually every medically trained professional in this business says. And I know what it takes to exercise your way out of a 50 pound weight problem because I have done it (more than once). And it isn't a couple rounds of golf per week carrying your bag - nor is it something that most people would try to take on. 

dave

Funny there is a thread on this topic going on and I made the same point. Exercise is great for you but the key to a healthy weight. 

All the same if you walk three days a week golfing or ride three days a week golfing. I don't think anyone would argue that walking is going to better for almost every person's health. 

I was at a small public course once, and they had a sign with the prices.

Green fee =$abc

Riding  cart =$xyz

Pull cart =$1 all day ( fee covers using your pull cart or ours).

??????? They had these little cheap pull carts,  but it was the same if you used  your own.

They told  us the  course owner was a non-golfer and this made sense to him, and satisfied him.😳😳😳

Edited by Jackal66

Making a simple question so complicated. No push carts means extra money(carts). faster rounds( less walkers). Excluding all GolfWRXers who walk faster in their fivesome than any twosome in carts 

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, Carl Spackler3 said:

Making a simple question so complicated. No push carts means extra money(carts). faster rounds( less walkers). Excluding all GolfWRXers who walk faster in their fivesome than any twosome in carts 

Power Carts does not equal faster rounds.  One course I like to play went to mandatory power carts all day - every day and if anything, their pace of play became slower (5+ hrs).  I like to walk and as a result, I play there less. 

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, dubbelbogey said:

Simply untrue that walking causes rounds to be slower vs riding.

And I'm not talking about any super-special traits that WRXers have.

It is also simply untrue that walking does not cause rounds to be slower vs. riding. It depends on the course. Some courses have very long green to tee distances and walkers WILL slow things down. 

Before spinal stenosis reared its ugly osteoarthritic head, I would be the only walker in most of the groups that I played with. Had I been the shortest hitter in the group, they would have been waiting for me to arrive at my tee shot in most cases. 

But for walkable courses where everyone walks, walking will not be slower than riding, typically. 

dave

• Like 1

The courses which are built within communities where its 300-500 yards between green and tee box, yes walking is slower than riding. But on a normal course where the distance is 100 yards or less walking isn't slower. Especially since most riders don't ride properly by dropping off 1 person then going to their ball and then meeting up somewhere in the middle after. Most riders just ride to one ball, let their partner hit then go to the next ball. That can be slower than walking.

2 hours ago, Marty86 said:

The courses which are built within communities where its 300-500 yards between green and tee box, yes walking is slower than riding. But on a normal course where the distance is 100 yards or less walking isn't slower. Especially since most riders don't ride properly by dropping off 1 person then going to their ball and then meeting up somewhere in the middle after. Most riders just ride to one ball, let their partner hit then go to the next ball. That can be slower than walking.

I am not sure what a "normal course" is.  Of the 13 courses that I have played in the last year, 8 of them have multiple 'excessive' green to tee distances to deal with. 

dave

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I am not sure what a "normal course" is.  Of the 13 courses that I have played in the last year, 8 of them have multiple 'excessive' green to tee distances to deal with. 

dave

Being on a relatively small island and covered in courses that were designed and built over 100 years ago, we don't have many courses with underutilised tracts of land between greens and tees..

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

dave

In the NY area the distance is short distances from green to tee on most public courses and even many private.  

2 hours ago, Newby said:

Being on a relatively small island and covered in courses that were designed and built over 100 years ago, we don't have many courses with underutilised tracts of land between greens and tees..

FWIW, the measurement of 'efficient utilization' of land WRT a typical US subdivision golf course is a lot more complicated than calculating how much space is taken up by a mile or so of extra 8 foot wide cart path (which is actually not a whole lot of land anyway).

And for golf courses designed before the advent of golf carts as being the norm, there were other considerations. All 5 of the courses that I play that are walkable were designed before 1970. The others were designed later than that. 

dave

I walked a solo round last Friday. I was the 2nd one out, following a twosome riding that got a 20 minute head start. Another twosome riding followed me. I walked off the 9th hole as the twosome behind me was pulling up to the 8th tee. I wound up finishing ~4 holes ahead of them. 

I caught the twosome ahead of me on the 8th hole, and waited on a couple of shots before they picked up the pace. I followed them for the remainder of the round. During the round I fixed a number of fresh ballmarks, and raked a few fresh footprints in the bunkers. The rabbits in front of me didn't seem to want to be bothered taking care of the course. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, Carl Spackler3 said:

The walker that’s faster than a cart is the” you can’t hear my music guy”,  the” I pick up my cigarette butts guy”

Couldn’t disagree with this more. It’s not at all uncommon for a group of 4 walkers to be waiting behind a group of 4 in carts. 

Golfers that play quick do so because of the movements they make during the round and while others are playing their shots. Not because they are walking or riding. 

People that walk quickly go to their ball and hit it. They don’t tell stories on the tee boxes or greens. People that play quickly in carts drop each other off, take extra clubs, and walk when it helps speed up play. 

Golfers in carts that play slowly drive to one ball, watch them hit, and then drive to the other. They hit their chip shot from 30 yards, and then get back in the cart while the driver takes it to the cart path. 

Playing fast or slow is about how you have been taught and what you are doing when it’s not your turn to hit. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 2