(A Review) TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons

MrParr1Noid

It looks like the specs for the '09 and 2.0 are almost the same except for the lie angle in the longer clubs.

But that didn't answer my question. Are the shaft lengths the same as stock if you opt for the upgraded shafts? For exmple: the stock shaft for a 7 iron is 37 inches for the Burner, If I upgrade to say Nippon NS950s will the shaft also be 37 inches or 36.75 inches like most other manufacturers?

I am not an authority on these Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons. But through Taylor Made Golf and GolfWRX, I have received a set of Burner 2.0's irons to give my evaluation, of my experience with these irons. I posted the spec sheet to give those inquiring about the shafts, their lengths, swingweights, just to give you some information that has become available..

I'm not privy to any special information from from Taylor Made Golf, and I don't work for Taylor Made Golf but I'm a member here just like all of you guys are. biggrin.gif

p.s. I'll give you guys all the information that I can get my hands on but chances are, you might get this information sooner, via your own connections.ok.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black chrome iron heads Mac, adding a bit of flair to the image!

You'll be wearing white belts next

:drinks:

White braces, white spats, and a black top hat...cool.gif . Where you been stranger? Golf season just starting there? biggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Mine were ordered with the KBS tours. My new best shafts.good.gif

I've the KBS90s in my CB2s love the high ball flight on those shafts. I was hoping i could get them in the Burner 2.0.

I'm going to be ordering mine tomorrow...I wish i could order them with KBS :(

unfortunately my local store said its not an option. I may have to settle for Nippon NS Pro 950s

From what I've read not a bad shaft either.

You got bad information...I've ordered a set with KBS 90 at no upcharge ship Oct 15th

I guess the store needs to upgrade their info. Either way i got to try out the nippons they aren't bad either.

Its not going to make much of a difference for my skill set anyways

I cant go wrong with either shaft.

You got bad information...I've ordered a set with KBS 90 at no upcharge ship Oct 15th

I guess the store needs to upgrade their info. Either way i got to try out the nippons they aren't bad either.

Its not going to make much of a difference for my skill set anyways

I cant go wrong with either shaft.

Nippon's are tried and true, it's hard to go wrong with something you know and like. The main reason I went with KBS Tour, is because that is what I have in my present set, and I like how they reacted to my swing...bb.gifbiggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

MrParr1Noid - great review!
I think I can tell just from the pictures but I'd like to get your opinion as the Burner 2.0's and the Mizuno Mx200 & Mx300 are on now on my short list for a winter irons upgrade.

In the first picture above it's quite clear that the Burner iron is taller (that looks like a short iron). In a picture a few down it looks like the Burner has more offset. And it also looks like the Burner has a wider sole.

So while not to ask for a detailed Burner 2.0 comparison to the Mx300, would you say it's fair to say the Burner 2.0 has more "game improvement" looks to it and the Mx300 is a little more "players"?

MrParr1Noid - great review!

I think I can tell just from the pictures but I'd like to get your opinion as the Burner 2.0's and the Mizuno Mx200 & Mx300 are on now on my short list for a winter irons upgrade.

In the first picture above it's quite clear that the Burner iron is taller (that looks like a short iron). In a picture a few down it looks like the Burner has more offset. And it also looks like the Burner has a wider sole.

So while not to ask for a detailed Burner 2.0 comparison to the Mx300, would you say it's fair to say the Burner 2.0 has more "game improvement" looks to it and the Mx300 is a little more "players"?

Thanks RacineBoxer, I appreciate the flowers.

My reasons for the comparison between the Burner 2.0 and MX 300 was for a head size, and length comparison. But yes, Taylor Made Burner 2.0 are G I irons and with a touch more offset than it's comparison to but there isn't that much difference to be sure. Sole width advantage goes to the Taylor Made Burner 2.0's with just a skosh more in the width department...And blade lengths between the two are quite comparable.good.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I get the nicer finish for improved appearance. Of course I'll look in person as soon as I can, but from the pictures I don't see that much difference between the 09's and these as far as topline, sole, offset. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 09's, and as a 'ho I am likely to get the 2.0's just for comparison, but other than the finish I'm wondering what the differences are?

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I get the nicer finish for improved appearance. Of course I'll look in person as soon as I can, but from the pictures I don't see that much difference between the 09's and these as far as topline, sole, offset. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 09's, and as a 'ho I am likely to get the 2.0's just for comparison, but other than the finish I'm wondering what the differences are?

You're asking me all the hard questions.laugh.gif .I've tested (demo'd) these irons, and wrote the review, and am now playing these irons. This from Taylor Made's web site, and this will better inform you, rather than myself to talk about something that I know not.biggrin.gif

http://www.taylormad...ml?IsPopUp=0#30

Thank You for asking.ok.gif . You can click on the "technology" button for your answers.

p.s. AND! You can blame me for the photo's as well.bye.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

You're asking me all the hard questions.laugh.gif .I've tested (demo'd) these irons, and wrote the review, and am now playing these irons. This from Taylor Made's web site, and this will better inform you, rather than myself to talk about something that I know not.biggrin.gif

http://www.taylormad...ml?IsPopUp=0#30

Thank You for asking.ok.gif . You can click on the "technology" button for your answers.

p.s. AND! You can blame me for the photo's as well.bye.gif

Well, as much as I like my TaylorMade equipment, I think that the TaylorMade web site does what TaylorMade is best at: marketing. Like I said, I'll certainly compare them in person, and likely I'll buy a set and then keep what works best, but I'm just not sure how much difference there really is on the basics - topline (it was already progressive), sole width (it was already progressive), club length (it was already too long, which is why I ordered mine shortened), etc.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Well, as much as I like my TaylorMade equipment, I think that the TaylorMade web site does what TaylorMade is best at: marketing. Like I said, I'll certainly compare them in person, and likely I'll buy a set and then keep what works best, but I'm just not sure how much difference there really is on the basics - topline (it was already progressive), sole width (it was already progressive), club length (it was already too long, which is why I ordered mine shortened), etc.

Biggest difference to me? Burner 2.0 are easier to elevate in the mid irons, I don't use the long irons...biggrin.gif .Sump'n bout being old n slow.

I posted the link for you to check out Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons specification, and the new technology. In the web site it will tell you what Taylor Made has changed in the way of technology to improve their Burner 2.0 irons. I hadn't read this until after I wrote my review. ok.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Do you think the 2.0 would work well for a sweeper like myself?

I don't know about that, I'm not a fitter, I've demonstrated the Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons, and have written a review on them, and am playing them but nothing more. Hopefully someone qualified in club fitting will chime in here but I can't recommend what will work for your swing, I am not a fitter.. Ok...ok.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I am finding myself wanting these irons 3-PW with s300 shafts. They look awesome.

To me, the TM Burner 2.0 is much more classy looking than the first generation of TM Burner irons I'm a fan of the black and carbon fiber look.

Funny story about these irons. Last week when I first got them, a friend and myself were out back on my hill hitting PW out in the course. He was complaining to me about the PW going to far. He's about a 58 year old guy, and was hitting the TM Burner 2.0 PW 140-150 yards, where his normal Callaways go 125-130 yards.bb.gif .I'm a decade older and not nearly as strong or flexible, and I was hitting PW 105-115, and was pleased.biggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='andemw01' timestamp='1286070163' post='2725327']
[/quote]

I'm a sweeper and the 09's are awesome for me.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

The '09 and 2.0 specs from the TM website are available. The only differences are that the 2.0's have a little less offset in most lofts and the 2.0's are a little more upright in the longer irons. Lofts and club lengths are identical.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

The '09 and 2.0 specs from the TM website are available. The only differences are that the 2.0's have a little less offset in most lofts and the 2.0's are a little more upright in the longer irons. Lofts and club lengths are identical.

From what I've read in the TM website, the most changes were internal, such as added weight in the toe area, and redistribution of weight in the sole.

TM Burner 2.0's are definitely easier for me to elevate, and easier to shape shots with, where as the 1st generation Burner 09's tended to be worm eradicators from my usage.laugh.gif

My final statement: Taylor Made Golf, and their new Burner 2.0 have received an A for their efforts from myself. My hat is off to Taylor Made Golf.hi.gif

Thank You

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1286120034' post='2725938']
[quote name='andemw01' timestamp='1286070163' post='2725327']
[/quote]

I'm a sweeper and the 09's are awesome for me.
[/quote]

Sweeper here as well and the 09s are awesome for me as well.

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1285987828' post='2724214']
[/quote]
Just returned from the golf shop where I hit several of each the 2.0's and the 09's into a sim. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I honestly couldn't tell much of a diff at all, both in looks and playability. May be diff on the course, and, of course, YMMV.

I have owned the Burner 09s for a few years now and hit the Burner 2.0s and what a difference. I was seeing a little higher ball trajectory but nothing I could not live with. The ball flight was straight and had better distance when comparing my 6-irons. I will buy them the day they come out and I will not look back. Can wait to bag these irons.

Great review. I was trying to wait for the 2.0's to come out, but I just ordered my 2009 Burners. I couldn't resist the $499 price tag, and I have been wayyyy overdue for new clubs. I hit the burners and absolutely fell in love with them. I wanted to try the 2.0's, but I figured I already knew how much I liked the Burners. Oh well. I still can't wait to try the 2.0's out.

I have a set of Scratch combo TC-1s and I just tested the 2.0s along with the Mizuno 800 offerings and the 2.0s were by far the best feeling and easiest to hit for me. They also look fantastic from address. I was shocked.[quote name='golf_fanatik' timestamp='1286574593' post='2734878']
Ordered a set of the 2.0's in stiff w/ stock shafts but 2* flat. Looking forward to getting those in a couple of weeks. They may actually replace my EZ-1's (gulp!).
[/quote]

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

Well I placed an order today. I am really excited but I was not sure about what shaft to go with given my swing speed. I usually get the S-Flex but I was thinking I would try the 90S-flex since I am right in between both according to KBS. I have always been a high handicapper and this is the year I want to get down to about a 10-14 HP. black%20eye.gif

Burner 2.0 Irons (½ inch over in length) 4-PW

KBS 90S Flex shaft (85mph swing average) I could go the S-Flex or the 90S-Flex?

Tour Pride New Decade Multi Compound Mid-Size Blue/Black

2* Upright Lie

1. 100+ mph = X-flex

2. 90 mph = S-flex

3. 80 mph = R-flex / 90S-flex

4. 70 mph = 90R-flex

Played my first round today with the burners. No range time. couldn't really get a groove going with this until the last 2-3 holes. All I can say is these things are pretty forgiving, most of my shots all day were off the toe, I mean really off the toe and the distance was still decent. When I did make decent contact, the irons are LONG. The ball just springs off the face. I think once I get used to these irons, they'll probably stay in my bag for a while. Overall very happy with these irons