(A Review) TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons

MrParr1Noid

I would say forgiveness is something that sometimes is forgotten with these clubs with all the emphasis on length. Just in the last 2 rounds, I have had shots that I just hit [u][/u]horribly[u][/u], turf first, clubface turning, just awful - look up, ball on green, pin high. I play the 09's, but presumably the 2.0's have similar forgiveness.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went from the Burner 09s to the Burner 2.0 I did not see much of a difference in the shorter irons and they seemed almost exactly the same. It was not until I started hitting the longer irons where I could see a difference. It just felt better and I was getting some great distance. On the launch monitor yesterday it showed me hitting over 200 yards with a 6-iron. The last one had me at 203 with a 185 carry and I only swing at about 85 mph? Seemed like much more distance than I would normally get. I normally hit my 6-iron about 190 in the Burner 09s.

[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1286798357' post='2737785']
When I went from the Burner 09s to the Burner 2.0 I did not see much of a difference in the shorter irons and they seemed almost exactly the same. It was not until I started hitting the longer irons where I could see a difference. It just felt better and I was getting some great distance. On the launch monitor yesterday it showed me hitting over 200 yards with a 6-iron. The last one had me at 203 with a 185 carry and I only swing at about 85 mph? Seemed like much more distance than I would normally get. I normally hit my 6-iron about 190 in the Burner 09s.
[/quote]

That's what I would expect, even hope for, since I have much better success with the short irons than the longer irons in the 09's. Really my only complaint with the short irons is ballflight too high; with the 5, 6, and 7 irons I have much greater difficulty getting consistent contact, despite the fact that I ordered them 1/2" to 3/4" shorter.

I am experimenting with a stiff shaft '09 9 iron to see if that helps the ballflight problem.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I have played 4 rounds of golf with mine and they are the best irons that I have ever hit,very forgiving.

In my opinion much better than the 09 model and if you do not like these irons you will not like any.

A low or high handicap can play these and they look great at address.

The sole is not to my taste but I cannot see that at address.

[quote name='Stage12' timestamp='1286767371' post='2737546']
Played my first round today with the burners. No range time. couldn't really get a groove going with this until the last 2-3 holes. All I can say is these things are pretty forgiving, most of my shots all day were off the toe, I mean really off the toe and the distance was still decent. When I did make decent contact, the irons are LONG. The ball just springs off the face. I think once I get used to these irons, they'll probably stay in my bag for a while. Overall very happy with these irons
[/quote]
Just curious to find out how the finish held up on the irons if you were hitting them off the toe.
The reason I ask this is I seen a set on display at a golf store and notice a chip on the finish on the back of
iron it was white underneath very noticeable . Wonder how they would hold up with just normal bag chatter.
Thanks gb

i have never been a fan of any TM product really. chalk me up as one of "those" guys that just ignore their stuff since it seemed TM was always trying to throw it down my throat with a new model and bad re-sale value. i know i know.....

anyway, saw the burner 2.0's today at GG and man, they looked good. longer standard shafts, which i like, and they look great and feel good in hand. didnt hit them yet, but for a moment was thinking, "wouldi/could i play these and forget my mx-200?"

i do want to hit them now.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='cxissi' timestamp='1286841452' post='2738683']
Played my first round today with the burners. No range time. couldn't really get a groove going with this until the last 2-3 holes. All I can say is these things are pretty forgiving, most of my shots all day were off the toe, I mean really off the toe and the distance was still decent. When I did make decent contact, the irons are LONG. The ball just springs off the face. I think once I get used to these irons, they'll probably stay in my bag for a while. Overall very happy with these irons
[/quote]
Just curious to find out how the finish held up on the irons if you were hitting them off the toe.
The reason I ask this is I seen a set on display at a golf store and notice a chip on the finish on the back of
iron it was white underneath very noticeable . Wonder how they would hold up with just normal bag chatter.
Thanks gb
[/quote]

Well only took them out once, finish looks great. we'll see how long it'll last. I just hope they hold up better than the x-24s

[quote name='Stage12' timestamp='1286866823' post='2739212']
[quote name='cxissi' timestamp='1286841452' post='2738683']
[/quote]
Thanks gb
[/quote]

Well only took them out once, finish looks great. we'll see how long it'll last. I just hope they hold up better than the x-24s
[/quote]

I've had my 09's for about a year and 1/2. Other than some wear on the badges due to a failed experiment with lead tape, the finish on these is just fine. I don't use iron head covers.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Saw the 2.0's for the first time last night. Yes, I know the technology changes aren't visible, but other than the nicer finish and slightly smaller cavity, not much difference from the 09's. Longer irons still look clunky to me - thicker topline, cavity visible from address, largish sole width: this is my problem with the 09's and the 2.0's didn't solve it. As for the long irons being easier to elevate, that's not a problem I needed solved.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

And another range session with my new Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons...Works for me..I seem to be a lot longer...with my new irons...biggrin.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Honestly, I am thrilled for Mr. ParNoid and anyone else who loves the 2.0 Burner's...but...I hit the 2.0 6 iron against my '09 Burner 6 iron today and there just wasn't any appreciable performance difference. I do like the look of the 2.0's better - the carbon black and the shallower cavity - but I just didn't see any difference in length, forgiveness, or accuracy. If I was buying new irons, I would buy the 2.0's because the better appearance alone would be worth the $200 or $300 difference to me, but if I was on a budget and wanted to save some money, I would buy the '09's.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I watched the TM introduction video . They were saying they made the scoring irons 8,9, & pw with the better player in mind . Anyone that has hit these notice an improvement in the short irons from the 09's

Thanks gb

I am one who did not care for the original TM Burner 09 irons. Yes I know, many in here are saying there is little difference if any, other than the black and carbon fiber looks.

It just might be me and my game but I could not hit the Burner 09's to save my life. The only difference between my 09's and the 2.0's were the 09's were shafted with TTDG's and the 2.0 are shafted with KBS Tours.

The 2.0's work for me.drinks.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I had the 2009 version and loved them. (first new set of irons since the Maxfli Revolutions (that I still love) I just got the 2.0s yesterday and want to change grips. I have heard the shaft weight and the grip weight were all closely engineered with the head weight to make the overall product perform so well. Anyway, does anyone know what the current TaylorMade rubber grips weigh that come stock on the 2.0s? I want to make sure I get new grips that are close to that same weight/thickness.

Thanks

I haven't read anyone asking about adjusting the lie on these. Can they be adjusted two degrees flat (and remain that way) or can they, and should be ordered that way?

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

I had a similiar question so I emailed TM and they told me they can be adjusted. I also asked about extending the length and they told me they were designed to be extended or cut down 2 inches. I was unsure due to the hype about the different kick points and the engineering differences between clubs. When I first watched the release video these thoughts hit me, most of us have some type of adjustment done to our clubs and it seems like nothing should be altered with these clubs.. I think it is just part of their agressive advertising, because the first thing I did is have some GP Multi-compounds midsize 3 layers of tape. I think I am going to have my AW-8 iron extended a 1/2" next week.

I love these clubs, it was hard to pull the R7's out of the bag but I am glad I did. I couple questions I have is about the finsh and how much abuse they will take. Say if someone :rolleyes: has a tendency to hit the ball off the toe a time or 2 a round, will the black chip? Also what is the best cleaning technique? I have always reached for my wire brush after each shot in the past and find myself hesitant about doing so with these, now I only use the soft side.

[quote name='gravedigger' timestamp='1287183840' post='2745090']
I had a similiar question so I emailed TM and they told me they can be adjusted. I also asked about extending the length and they told me they were designed to be extended or cut down 2 inches. I was unsure due to the hype about the different kick points and the engineering differences between clubs. When I first watched the release video these thoughts hit me, most of us have some type of adjustment done to our clubs and it seems like nothing should be altered with these clubs.. I think it is just part of their agressive advertising, because the first thing I did is have some GP Multi-compounds midsize 3 layers of tape. I think I am going to have my AW-8 iron extended a 1/2" next week.

I love these clubs, it was hard to pull the R7's out of the bag but I am glad I did. I couple questions I have is about the finsh and how much abuse they will take. Say if someone :rolleyes: has a tendency to hit the ball off the toe a time or 2 a round, will the black chip? Also what is the best cleaning technique? I have always reached for my wire brush after each shot in the past and find myself hesitant about doing so with these, now I only use the soft side.
[/quote]

Just keep a bath towel with you on each round and keep half of it wet. I wipe clubs down after every shot so there is nothing to worry about....

Honestly, I am thrilled for Mr. ParNoid and anyone else who loves the 2.0 Burner's...but...I hit the 2.0 6 iron against my '09 Burner 6 iron today and there just wasn't any appreciable performance difference. I do like the look of the 2.0's better - the carbon black and the shallower cavity - but I just didn't see any difference in length, forgiveness, or accuracy. If I was buying new irons, I would buy the 2.0's because the better appearance alone would be worth the $200 or $300 difference to me, but if I was on a budget and wanted to save some money, I would buy the '09's.

For those guys whom the TM Burner 09's worked for DocSchteeve, you may be right...But...the Burner 09's didn't work for me, AND ! the Taylor Made Burner 2.0 did.

Check & Mate...bye.gif

p.s. Was Abe Lincoln honest?biggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I am a beginner of golf learning for 3 months, and I am using a set of Callaway X18 irons which my dad does not use anymore.

I am hitting a 7-iron to a distance around 145-155 yards with only 50-60% of shots reaching this distance as I mishit a lot.

I am thinking whether to buy a set of burner 2.0, as I imagine the additional forgiveness and distance would help my game.

Any advice on whether I should pay for the new irons, or stick with the current set until my skills is more 'capable' to get an iron set of mine?

Thanks

[quote name='MrParr1Noid' timestamp='1285711858' post='2718684']
[center][left][u]Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Irons Review [/u][/left][/center]

Whether you're a scratch player, a weekend warrior, or anywhere in between these irons will fit the largest portion of our golfing community -- quite possibly moreso than any of their previous G I offerings. Hands down a winner here for Taylor Made Golf.

[/quote]

Been away for a while .... Sorry ....

GANG ... These irons are the [size="7"][b]REAL DEAL[/b][/size].

I had the good fortune of being asked to be a tester for these - and I have been putting some time in with them. MrParr had his long before - but I have been reading this with great interest. I have similiar tendencies as MrParr - and MAYBE ;) ... a little bit better handicap - but I have been more a shovel user - and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it.

I am working on my own review - but MrParr is pretty spot on ... These kicked out my UFIs out( also use 04 TM CBs - 09 Tour Preferred & Hibores from time to time ) .... ANYWAY ... One quick thing which I must point out that MrParr said which I COMPLETLEY agree with (I am a picker - NEVER take a divot) ... You CANNOT mishit these - and thin shots have virtually ZERO performance loss ... It's almost kind of wierd ... and they are LONG ... I'll elaborate later

Atta boy TM ... I only have 1 COBRA in the whole bag now ... and the Superfast is fighting that too ... I NEVER expected that.

Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Irons Review

Whether you're a scratch player, a weekend warrior, or anywhere in between these irons will fit the largest portion of our golfing community -- quite possibly moreso than any of their previous G I offerings. Hands down a winner here for Taylor Made Golf.

Been away for a while .... Sorry ....

GANG ... These irons are the REAL DEAL.

I had the good fortune of being asked to be a tester for these - and I have been putting some time in with them. MrParr had his long before - but I have been reading this with great interest. I have similiar tendencies as MrParr - and MAYBE ;) ... a little bit better handicap - but I have been more a shovel user - and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it.

I am working on my own review - but MrParr is pretty spot on ... These kicked out my UFIs out( also use 04 TM CBs - 09 Tour Preferred & Hibores from time to time ) .... ANYWAY ... One quick thing which I must point out that MrParr said which I COMPLETLEY agree with (I am a picker - NEVER take a divot) ... You CANNOT mishit these - and thin shots have virtually ZERO performance loss ... It's almost kind of wierd ... and they are LONG ... I'll elaborate later

Atta boy TM ... I only have 1 COBRA in the whole bag now ... and the Superfast is fighting that too ... I NEVER expected that.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...And we all know of Robo's quest for the truth...einstein.gif

I can't wait to read your review and to check out your photographic skillz.drinks.gif

While demo'ing and writing my review, I did had lots of fun doing it, and I was pleasantly surprised as to what my findings were. Hurry up, and get some pics taken, and take those TM Burner 2.0's for a spin. I eagerly await your take and opinion on these irons, and your full report...There is but (1) Robo..bb.gif

Carry On..biggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='DrHK' timestamp='1287486369' post='2749346']
I am a beginner of golf learning for 3 months, and I am using a set of Callaway X18 irons which my dad does not use anymore.

I am hitting a 7-iron to a distance around 145-155 yards with only 50-60% of shots reaching this distance as I mishit a lot.

I am thinking whether to buy a set of burner 2.0, as I imagine the additional forgiveness and distance would help my game.

Any advice on whether I should pay for the new irons, or stick with the current set until my skills is more 'capable' to get an iron set of mine?

Thanks
[/quote]

It's always good to get fitted, so I recommend that no matter what you play. That said, probably not that much difference between the 2.0's and X-18's AS YOU ARE LEARNING FIRST YEAR OR TWO - emphasis added as I am sure many may disagree.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1287692599' post='2753103']
[quote name='DrHK' timestamp='1287486369' post='2749346']

Thanks
[/quote]

It's always good to get fitted, so I recommend that no matter what you play. That said, probably not that much difference between the 2.0's and X-18's AS YOU ARE LEARNING FIRST YEAR OR TWO - emphasis added as I am sure many may disagree.
[/quote]

Yep I will disagree . The burner are at least a full club longer but a touch less forgiving than the x-18's . For me the 2.0 burner is much better iron all around the x-18. Better feel , distance and more accuate the cally's .
gb

[quote name='MrParr1Noid' timestamp='1285782129' post='2720053']
[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1285777943' post='2719931']
I think TM's policy on non-stock shafts with the 09 Burners was to make them standard length, so keep this in mind.
[/quote]

Whereas I don't remember the length of my TM Burner 2009's, I am however, reviewing here, the Taylor Made Burner 2.0, 2011 model. I have compared their lengths to the Miz MX 300's, iron to iron. The last photos in my review will show that there is less than 1/4 inch difference between MX 300 and TM Burner 2.0's to the 5 to 5, 7 to 7, and 9 to 9.

I don't know if the KBS tour shafts are a custom offering or a stock offering.
[/quote]
Is the stock shaft KBS Tour or KBS 90 ? TM was using the 90s last year on most everything. There's a 25+ gram difference, and they play like it.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I think TM's policy on non-stock shafts with the 09 Burners was to make them standard length, so keep this in mind.

Whereas I don't remember the length of my TM Burner 2009's, I am however, reviewing here, the Taylor Made Burner 2.0, 2011 model. I have compared their lengths to the Miz MX 300's, iron to iron. The last photos in my review will show that there is less than 1/4 inch difference between MX 300 and TM Burner 2.0's to the 5 to 5, 7 to 7, and 9 to 9.

I don't know if the KBS tour shafts are a custom offering or a stock offering.

Is the stock shaft KBS Tour or KBS 90 ? TM was using the 90s last year on most everything. There's a 25+ gram difference, and they play like it.

Like I've said before, my TM Burner 2.0's were ordered with KBS Tours. I'm not for certain whether or not the stock KBS Shafts are the lite 90's or the KBS Tour standard weight shafts.

I haven't ever hit the KBS lite 90's, they may be or may not be good for me but I've not ever tried them. KBS Tours are my new "best friend". laugh.gif And I love the added height they give me...bb.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I am leaving on our annual golf trip with the guys for 5 days in Mesquite, NV and St George, UT next week and I am waiting for my Burner 2.0 irons. I got everything special ordered and I think it is delaying the order. Man I hope they arrive next week so I can play them on the trip!

Good luck to you man, I hope what you ordered works as well for you as what I ordered, and received. Out Standing Here!drinks.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1287804134' post='2755183']
I am leaving on our annual golf trip with the guys for 5 days in Mesquite, NV and St George, UT next week and I am waiting for my Burner 2.0 irons. I got everything special ordered and I think it is delaying the order. Man I hope they arrive next week so I can play them on the trip!
[/quote]

Not sure if you ordered them from TM or a dealer but give them a call and tell them your situation. I was in the same situation and I called and tried to have them expedited. I was leaving on Thursday and was told they could not guarantee them by then and they were 2 day shipped on Wed. I was waiting in the formal area of my house all day (like my 6 y/o waiting on santa) and sure enough arrived at 4:30 and I was on the road with them unopened in the box.. LOL. They will over night them if you catch them before they are ready for delivery. Your special order should not hold them back more than a day so I would give them a call. Taylor Made's customer service is very good so call them regardless of who you ordered them from .

Good Luck