Complete Game Deterioration (Need Serious Help)

Like said above, please help!
Well I have been playing mostly my whole life. Have been a better player as well. Usually shoot in the upper 70's. Sometimes a bit worse, sometimes a bit better. But the fun has stopped there.

About 2 months ago, I picked up a new set of blades as I had taken a year off and wanted to get back into golf and maybe at a professional level. Went out to the range twice after I bought em and was happier than ever. Good distance and accuracy perfection. I then decided to play 18 to get the feel back. Played not so good. Shot an 87 which really isnt bad but should have been better. I was starting to hit some small pushes and as the round went on, these pushes turned into little slices. Quite abnormal? For me yes. It just kind of showed up on me.

I went to the range a week later to work on fixing this slice. When I got to the range, it proceeded to get worse. I further got more frustrated with what was happening cuz I had no idea what was happening to my swing. I then worked on trying to come a tiny bit more inside out to hopefully cure it. Did not work. I then tried slowing my tempo. Did not work.

I took a break for another week to clear my head and decided to get in another 18 hoping that this crazy slice was just a little virus. Guess what I shot? 116. Thats right. I havnt hit over 100 since I was 11. This was the worse round I have ever had in my life. I also lost all of my golf balls. 17 Pro v 1's to be exact. All because of this slice. And it got worse as the day progressed.

I got home, took a shower, and started to research online for ANYTHING I could that could be the reason for this crazy slice. And I'm telling you... it's bad. Like 90 degree turn with a driver. No crap. As I was searching I came across a video talking about having a stronger grip. By basically turning the club face in a bit, gripping the club, then turning the face back to the target at address and droping the wrist down. I thought "THATS IT! THIS WILL FIX IT!" So I then the next day, headed out to the range. IT DID NOT WORK! I even tried turning the club face almost 90 degrees to the inside and it still sliced.

I am so freaking scared right now. I am not kidding. I felt like actually breaking down and crying at the range today. I tried so hard and did anything I could but nothing worked. I feel like I have no ownership of my swing anymore. I have been playing for 20 years, and I feel like I am starting from scratch. Nothing feels right. I am in really bad shape physically and mentally with this.Every club from pitching wedge to driver slices.

Now I have been researching my videos and comparing them to pros and I do see that I am cutting inside the ball on impact but while at the range, I cannot feel this and I cannot fix it. I need tips on ways to not do this. AAH!

Also here is a picture of the agle of club entry into the dirt. It looked odd to me. Anything you can tell from this?
IMG_0340.jpg

Below I have a video with 2 different angles from today. Also toward the end of the video is a look at my divot direction. I have never seen this before. All my divots are heading way left of my target line. You can see this as I set a club down pointing at my target and the divots next to it.

Please watch this. Please help. I am in desperation. This has never happened and I need help badly. Please please help!

Click for HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00xO_ut0WEA

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are taking your hands out and away rather than back and in...
Look, a slice is caused by an out to in path and a draw is created by an in to out path. Lets say I put a circle around you (you being the center) on an inclined plane. A circle that is pointed to the left is going to create a slice. When you take your hands out and away you are turning your circle to the left. You need to get the circle pointed more at your target.

What does this mean for you? You need to get your hands going more inside and get your arms more connected to your body.
How? I want you to work on two things. First, I want you to hit balls with a tee in each armpit and don't let the tees hit the ground. Second, I want you to work on getting your shoulder turn a little steeper and your hands going more inside. Feel like you are pushing your left shoulder down and getting your hands into your right pocket.

Take a breath man. Life is good, golf is fun. Just remember one thing. Never settle for the tip of the week type instruction. Those guys have no idea whats going wrong with your swing and most of the time, their advice wouldn't fix it if they did know. Turning the club left is only going to get the ball started more left... and if your clubface did finally catch up with your path, it would be the biggest pull you have ever seen.

And just for the record I typed that 4 different times thanks to IBM putting an awesome Back button right next to the arrows on my keyboard. I felt bad for you so I kept retyping it.

Dude, you will never overcome this. Give up now.

Just kidding-you will never overcome this with your GIGANTIC BACKSWING. Now that thats cleared up go out and do this-use a seven iron-take a half swing-the club should not come back more than halfway!
This alone will help a bit think of hitting like a chip swing-STOP LIFTING YOUR DAMN LEFT ARM SO FRIGGIN FAR!
What you need to do is turn back not lift up! Take a backswing by not moving your hands up AT ALL! Simply turn back with your shoulders and then lift the club up NO MORE THAN HALFWAY TO THE TOP!!!!
Shaft should not go up very far!!!!!
Now that you have this backswing hit seven iron about 80 yardsin the air. Do not try for more distance until you have a straight shot or draw-slowly work it until you feel good then add distance.
Hopefully this drill will get you to feel a draw type of shot-half swing turn then lift turn then lift. Your head should remain still here it is only a half shot-keepdoingthis until youbegin to reestablish your tempo.
Slice means your club is movinright to left across your target line at impact you want to be thinking diff from that!
I want you to feel like you do not move your hands/arms until your shoulders have turned 90degrees to the target on backswing. ON BACKSWING-TURN FIRST THEN LIFT HANDS A BIT.
This isnot a swing method only a drill to get you feeling anattack from the inside.

You're welcome.

If you are going to fix your swing, it will be helpful to understand why the ball curves the way it does. There has been some new and very helpful information developed with respect to the ball flight laws. Here is an excellent explanation here.

[url="http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/search/label/gravity%20golf"]http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/search/label/gravity%20golf[/url]

Totally agree with what slicer2scratch said. I would like to see more hip rotation, too. I am going to risk being flamed by posting these links, but here are a couple of Shawn Clement's videos that discuss ball striking in general, and working the ball. If you can intentionally hook the ball, you will have cured your slice.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/2/joVA28CvMmU"]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/2/joVA28CvMmU[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/8/BeVBB7h9rgI"]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/8/BeVBB7h9rgI[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/u/22/TadSQVU_FMw"]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/u/22/TadSQVU_FMw[/url]

You are way outside the line.....severe cut swing. The only draw you can play with your current path is a pull draw and you don't really want to do that. If you want a band aid, use your current swing but play a cut....you can be really effective with your swing path by playing a pull fade.

You would be far better off though by trying to implement the changes that cbrian suggested. Your problem, plain and simple, is set up by your takeaway....your circle is way left. You don't need to worry about hips, length of swing or anything else right now. Hands in and left shoulder down will solve most of your problem, you can tweak it after you have rerouted your swing.

Good stuff posted by happyroman on ball flight laws. The changes that cbrian recommended will help you move your path more down the line which will ultimately straighten your ball flight out.

When I once suiddenly fell apart after an equipment change, the problem was that how my old clubs lied "square" was different than my new ones...the new ones just never started square when I thought, so they never squared...I dumped em for custom fit irons - and will never buy a set of irons not custom fitted for me again to avoid this problem. Not sure it is your issue - but it was mine. Try to make sure when you set up, before your swing, that you are square...You may want to take em into a pro shot and take a few swings on a strike plate to check...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='slicer2scratch' timestamp='1287440421' post='2748659']
I like happyromans post...Certainly knowing why the ball curves is extremely helpful....I think as golfers we need to know why the ball does what it does and then back up and decide what causes the club and face to come in on such angles...So many golfers say im just over the top or the face was just open. Even when they know this then why cant they fix it? Simple the cure is in why is your body and club getting you into that impact position and why wont it let you get it where you want? The answer for you starts with your core rotation...
[/quote]

Is core rotation like a catch phrase or something....

I had the 90 degree slice with the driver for a while, and when it was bad I would hit harder and the slice would get worse. Somehow I got a regular flex shafted driver (not sure how I missed it) that was always behind my swing. In your video the shaft of the club looks pretty soft. You might try a stiffer shaft to see if that helps.

There is both a short-term fix to stop the bleeding and restore your confidence and a longer-term solution that some of the other posters have already suggested,ie you have an extremely "armsy" swing that lacks proper core rotation. Basically you need to lower your arm plane, get your hand path more to the inside since you are way outside right now, learn a proper Pivot, fix the flying right elbow and learn the Triangle Fundamentals regarding Arm Structure, ie stretch/extension pressure and Connection pressure. But all of that is major work and will take a lot of time to ingrain to level of dominant habit, like a year or more of training if you are like most golfers.

The shorter-term fix is to get your clubhead path to move a bit from in to out - or at least intend to - since right now your path is severely out to in, your subconscious knows it and you are reverse rolling your forearms and wrists during Release, which is massively opening up the clubface, a compensation to keep it from going way left, since that is exactly where it would go if your face was square to your path, let alone closing a bit relative to your path as in a normal release. You can clearly see your left elbow chicken wing during Release, which will almost always open up the face angle a ton.

It is always a question of which to fix first: the path or the face, and there are strong arguments for each. From a cause and effect standpoint, it is sometimes hard to tell, but in your case it looks like more of a path cause. Place a half -filled water bottle about three inches target side of your golf ball and one-half inch outside of the toe of your seven-iron. Try to hit the ball first and then the bottle. There are all kinds of mechanical ways to make that in to out path, but I think it would be wiser for you and your natural athletic ability to figure it out on your own. Just try to hit the bottle after you hit the ball. My guess is that it might take ten or twenty or even thirty swings before you will be able to do it. Don't give up, even if it takes a hundred swings.

Then fix the face. Try to make the right forearm crossover and touch your left forearm before impact and into followthrough so that you severely shut the face. Try to hit a big hook, even a bit of a pull hook, but still swing the path in to out.

When you can hit the hook on command, keep doing that for awhile, then back off and see if you can hit a baby draw. Play with the amount of forearm roll that you use until you can feel how it affects the face angle.

I have seen much worse out to in paths and much worse open faces than yours. You can fix this, and you can probably do it in two to four hours at the range in one session.

Hope this helps!

Thank you guys so much for the responses so far. I know exactly what you mean about getting that core rotation. I used to have it but this virus took over my swing and that "trying to fix my push and slice so I keep my body more still to avoid any flaws" took over my swing and I lost my original swing.

The tee's in the armpits is a great drill I am going to start doing. Next time I go to the rang, I am going to hit about 200 balls and every shot I will use the tee method. Then go back to the range in a few days and hit normal and I hop my body and mind will adjust to the new change and become constant.

Still going over your posts as there is alot of info there. Need to just relax, read, and let it soak in.

Thanks so much. Never noticed the change in lack of spine/core rotation! I see it now and understand! Still need to hit the range tho! I'm kinda scared.

When I hit the range and run these drills, I will let you know how it went.

And now for the mental side...stop calling it a virus. You aren't sick. You are a good golfer who had a few issues creep in that you are going to fix. We've all been there. Viruses stay with you for a while, and this will pass.

Cobra Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Titleist Ts2 16/Elements Wind 8f5

Srixon u85 20/Recoil 95

Srixon z785 4-pw/Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland Rtx4 50, 54, 60/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='mLuMaN83' timestamp='1287470423' post='2749258']
The tee's in the armpits is a great drill I am going to start doing. Next time I go to the rang, I am going to hit about 200 balls and every shot I will use the tee method. Then go back to the range in a few days and hit normal and I hop my body and mind will adjust to the new change and become constant.
[/quote]

For what it's worth, 40 balls for 5 days in a row would make a lot more difference than 200 balls in one day. You may find a 9-to-3 drill helpful.

I worked with a PGA instructor today and made some real improvements.

We worked on a completely different spine angle and rotation aroung that spine angle in the back swing. When I did hit them flush, they were straight and hitting a 6i 180 yards.

Feels SOOOOOO weird but the more I do it, the more comfortable it will become.

[quote name='slicer2scratch' timestamp='1287640029' post='2752349']
[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1287621331' post='2752018']
[quote name='slicer2scratch' timestamp='1287380106' post='2747734']
I understand your struggles! I am a former slicer now teaching professional...

I[/quote]

'slicer2scratch, I hope I haven't missed your story. What was the difference going from 'slicer2scratch?

Perhaps, the answer can help the OP.

Cheers,

Tanner

[/quote]

Tanner, very long story. I will probably get a website up soon then possible a dvd or something (when I have time) which will tell the story a little more.... Basically ALOT of hard but correct work! I am currently teaching full time so dont have the time to put all this together just yet.
[/quote]

That's a shame because changing it might have only taken half an hour. Getting it in to the system will obviously take longer ......

@ OP:

If you look at your face on view you will notice that you may have fallen victim of the 'wide takeaway with a braced knee' ..... it's causing you lower body an hips to shift sideways, which is stopping you hipturn and as a consequence your shoulderturn, which in turn makes your arms bend.

it causes issues with path and timing

I would advice you to

1. straighten the right leg in your backswing so the knee will move gradually up and in, instead of getting way outside o/y right ankle
2. keep your right upperarm attached to your chest during your backswing (might feel weird at start)
3. hit 3/4 shots whilst keeping your arms straight after impact

• 2 weeks later...

haha i feel ya i shot a 92 in the us open qualifier this year marking my worst tournament score since i was 12 or so -- i was hitting the ball all over the place -- im sure theres some issues in the swing but i think having a horrible round has a lot to do with getting your anxiety torqued up as well -- my guess is if you go to the range and mess around for a bit youll figure something out -- go out and play for the hell of it eventually things get better even if its baby steps -- youll be fine stop worrying

TaylorMade M5 10.5* // Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 60X
TaylorMade M5 15* // Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75X
Titleist 915 3H // Diamana S+ 80X 
PING I210 (4-U) // Steel Fiber FC 115 F4 
PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 56* // Steel Fiber FC 115 F4
PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 60* // Steel Fiber FC 115 F4
Byron Morgan DH89 

I thought I had a grip a grip on this but it is back. I am so screwed. Went to the range a few times and stopped it for the most part. Played 18 and shot another 100+ round and lost 14 balls.

russian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gif