Top Posters In This Topic

that's pretty sweet right there.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Interesting idea, but IMO worthless in application even if it's inexpensive. Aside from never wearing my watch when playing, if I am going to get only "one" yardage number I'll choose my Bushnell 1600 tournament every time. Least it gives me the choice of aiming at different objects.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1288278459' post='2763297']
Interesting idea, but IMO worthless in application even if it's inexpensive. Aside from never wearing my watch when playing, if I am going to get only "one" yardage number I'll choose my Bushnell 1600 tournament every time. Least it gives me the choice of aiming at different objects.
[/quote]

I agree. I never wear my watch when playing and I don't know many (if any) that do either.

I've used my Garmin G5 for a full season now and I'm extremely impressed with quality and durability, I'm sure this product will function well...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the perfect GPS for the person who is playing their home course mostly. I mean once you play a course 4-5 times you know what holes you need to layup on. For ME, I only need the other features when I am playing a course for the 1st time. I really need to know the distance to the green front/middle/back.

I like it's idea.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I got it and I love it works great for me. I had the original sky caddie, the SG4 and still have the Garmin G3. The main reason it works for me is I can see the display with out my glass which I never wear when I plan.something about all these new color displays I have a hard time seeing them with out my glasses the old LCD displays no problem. The G3 is great too especially if you need distances to hazards, bunkers, etc. but it requires extra fiddling with it to get the information. I carry a laser also so I can just point and shoot on that. The S1 is convenient and I have my yardage fast without mess with anything works well on coarse that I know and it is all I use when walking.

I,too, find the S1 my rangefinder of choice on familiar courses. I also carry the G5 and a laser rf. The S1 is easy to read, accurate and the distance is there with quick glance at your wrist. I find it a great addition if you are willing to part with the $$$ for a basic gps device. Note: It's also a watch, measures shot distances and has an odometer for those who are fitness conscious.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the idea of this watch. I hate having to carry an additional item when playing. Even a small GPS like the swami requires taking it out of your pocket or out of the cart and looking at it... with this watch i could just glance down at my wrist when needed. Exactly what i'm looking for. My only question/concern is, how hard is it to get garmin to add a golf course??? Does anyone know? I'd also love to hear some real world user reviews but there just doesn't seem to be any yet. Does the battery really last a solid 8 hours in gps mode, does it auto advance to the next hole, are there any quirks or bugs? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='jjarrett79' timestamp='1291919590' post='2832001']
I really like the idea of this watch. I hate having to carry an additional item when playing. Even a small GPS like the swami requires taking it out of your pocket or out of the cart and looking at it... with this watch i could just glance down at my wrist when needed. Exactly what i'm looking for. My only question/concern is, how hard is it to get garmin to add a golf course??? Does anyone know? I'd also love to hear some real world user reviews but there just doesn't seem to be any yet. Does the battery really last a solid 8 hours in gps mode, does it auto advance to the next hole, are there any quirks or bugs? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I have owned and used the S1 since day 1. I pre-ordered and have used since the day they were released for sale approximately a month ago. I think one other person in the thread talked of his experience of using it.

As you stated, distance to front, back and center is available with a quick glance at the wrist. I find the distances the same as my G5. I sometimes get 2-3 yards difference than my Nikon 1200 LRF. 14,000 preloaded courses. I understand that you can download new courses as they become available in Garmin course library. Mine takes 30-60 to acquire satellite signal. Watch is available immediately when you press the power button, indoors or outdoors. Very simple to operate, nothing to do but select any additional functions you want to use on the course (odometer, measure shot distance). It finds the course you are at. Automatic hole advance. No maps or distances to hazards, bunkers, etc., just distance to front, back and center of green. I am a walker and use the odometer. The battery meter shows little less than 1/2 charge left after 4 hour round. I have been recharging after every round so I don't know what the actual battery life might be. The pins on the charging clamp have to mated precisely with contacts on the watch to recharge. A little finicky but no biggy.

Conclusion (my opinion): This is a very basic gps (fcb of green, shot measuring, odometer and watch). Menu is easy to navigate. A little pricey but easier & quicker to use than lrf & gps for those basic distances. It's definitely a personal decision whether it's for you but I love mine.

[quote name='hectex' timestamp='1291929382' post='2832270']
[quote name='jjarrett79' timestamp='1291919590' post='2832001']
[/quote]

I have owned and used the S1 since day 1. I pre-ordered and have used since the day they were released for sale approximately a month ago. I think one other person in the thread talked of his experience of using it.

As you stated, distance to front, back and center is available with a quick glance at the wrist. I find the distances the same as my G5. I sometimes get 2-3 yards difference than my Nikon 1200 LRF. 14,000 preloaded courses. I understand that you can download new courses as they become available in Garmin course library. Mine takes 30-60 to acquire satellite signal. Watch is available immediately when you press the power button, indoors or outdoors. Very simple to operate, nothing to do but select any additional functions you want to use on the course (odometer, measure shot distance). It finds the course you are at. Automatic hole advance. No maps or distances to hazards, bunkers, etc., just distance to front, back and center of green. I am a walker and use the odometer. The battery meter shows little less than 1/2 charge left after 4 hour round. I have been recharging after every round so I don't know what the actual battery life might be. The pins on the charging clamp have to mated precisely with contacts on the watch to recharge. A little finicky but no biggy.

Conclusion (my opinion): This is a very basic gps (fcb of green, shot measuring, odometer and watch). Menu is easy to navigate. A little pricey but easier & quicker to use than lrf & gps for those basic distances. It's definitely a personal decision whether it's for you but I love mine.
[/quote]

I'm a watch wearer so this device certainly appeals to me. Like with all new items the price is a little high but once the price comes down I'm going to grab one. I'll certainly continue tracking reviews and prices.

Handicap:  3

I bought an S1 last week,I have a skycaddie 2.5 which I like and trust but am getting fed-up of the 10 course capacity and annual fees.
My friend bought a Golfbuddy for the same reasons and is generally quite pleased, with accuracy at our home course quite good but when he used it at a courses in Spain,alongside my Skycaddie, it was as much as 20 yards out on some holes.This made me wary, but I bought the S1 anyhow. I used it yesterday for the 1st time at my club, Silverstone GC,UK.I ran it alongside the skycaddie as a test.
All went well for 6 holes then on the 7th tee, 500yards by the card, 485 by the skycaddie,ok as we were forward, the S1 tellls me it's 706 yards! When I stood on the green it gave a yardage of over 200! Later I stood by the 150 marker on the 18th, skycaddie said 149, S1 says 119 !
In short the S1 was absolutley misleading and useless on 6 holes on the only course I've tried it on.
I've emailed Garmiin customer support but havent had a reply yet.I'll keep you posted.

[quote name='happyh' timestamp='1292250663' post='2838407']
I bought an S1 last week,I have a skycaddie 2.5 which I like and trust but am getting fed-up of the 10 course capacity and annual fees.
My friend bought a Golfbuddy for the same reasons and is generally quite pleased, with accuracy at our home course quite good but when he used it at a courses in Spain,alongside my Skycaddie, it was as much as 20 yards out on some holes.This made me wary, but I bought the S1 anyhow. I used it yesterday for the 1st time at my club, Silverstone GC,UK.I ran it alongside the skycaddie as a test.
All went well for 6 holes then on the 7th tee, 500yards by the card, 485 by the skycaddie,ok as we were forward, the S1 tellls me it's 706 yards! When I stood on the green it gave a yardage of over 200! Later I stood by the 150 marker on the 18th, skycaddie said 149, S1 says 119 !
In short the S1 was absolutley misleading and useless on 6 holes on the only course I've tried it on.
I've emailed Garmiin customer support but havent had a reply yet.I'll keep you posted.
[/quote]

I'll give you $100 for it :D

Garmin helpline were reasonably responsive but in this instance useless. They are "not aware of any problems " with this product and it "might be a mapping problem".
Their only suggestion was to "fill out a fault form...."
Having established that I have the latest software loaded (which I do, but I only received it last week!) they have now asked me to reset the device and go back to the course and try again.
This I will do, not hopeful.

[quote name='jjarrett79' timestamp='1292612145' post='2845576']
Has anyone seen any really good deals on this watch? The golf warehouse has it for $211.65 shipped but today is the last day. I'd love to get it for under $200.
[/quote]

Sounds like the best price around. I too would like to get it under $200 but I don't think that's going to happen for months - it's still a new product.

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1292616632' post='2845677']
[quote name='jjarrett79' timestamp='1292612145' post='2845576']
Has anyone seen any really good deals on this watch? The golf warehouse has it for $211.65 shipped but today is the last day. I'd love to get it for under $200.
[/quote]

Sounds like the best price around. I too would like to get it under $200 but I don't think that's going to happen for months - it's still a new product.
[/quote]

I agree that it probably will not go down in price for a while being a unique new product. For guys waiting for it to go under 200, isn't 211 close enought?? I mean 10-20 bucks should not stop the process. You could be enjoying the item.

I won't be able to play golf for a solid 4 months ... so i'm hoping i'll be able to get it for a little lower by then or I would have snagged it for the $211 price. There will inevitably be some people who buy them or receive them as gifts and don't like them... so buying used is might also be an option.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1288309397' post='2764089']
[/quote]

I agree. I never wear my watch when playing and I don't know many (if any) that do either.
[/quote]
ditto ditto for me too. Love my Bushness 1600 as well.

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1292796679' post='2848692']
[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1288309397' post='2764089']
[/quote]

[/quote]
ditto ditto for me too. Love my Bushness 1600 as well.
[/quote]

I wear my watch full time so this product interests me. Unfortunately, I think the watch needs recharged every 3 days for clock mode which doesn't sound appealing. Now if it had a separate power source I might be all over it.

[quote name='keb' timestamp='1292808227' post='2849005']
According to the "Test Freaks" site, the [b]battery life is 3 weeks in the clock[/b] mode and 8 hours in GPS mode. The watch has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. I can live with that.
[/quote]

Thanks for correcting me. Must have read the specs wrong. Still interested but have to wait on the prices.

I went to Golf Galaxy this weekend and tried it on. Unfortunately they didn't have one that was charged so I was unable to turn it on and see the display at work. I was originally concerned with the size of the watch and how it would feel while swinging a club. The watch didn't seem too big to me and as long as i wore it maybe just an inch higher than my normal watch, didn't affect my swing by interfering with my wrist action or by touching the back of my hand. The band seems perfect for a golf wrist watch... It is basically all notches, ensuring a good fit for everyone. Overall, I think it seemed like a solid piece of equipment... I think I'm sold.

[quote name='happyh' timestamp='1292250663' post='2838407']
[/quote]
I reset the device as instructed and tried again.Stood next to our 18th green got a yardage of 55yds.
Garmin support say they have logged a mapping fault which "should" cure this, unfortunatley they are unable to even suggest when this might happen.
So now I have a choice of 2 options. Send it back for a refund or just wait until an update might appear.This really is pisspoor from a major name in the GPS world.
I'm off to Spain for a golf trip next month and was hoping to use this but....I cant trust it!