Garmin Launches Approach S1, First Golf GPS Watch, With Preloaded Courses

[quote name='jimmies78' timestamp='1300127668' post='3054485']
I wanted to love this watch - I really did - but at three courses in my area in N.Yorkshire the reading were anything between 35yards too long or bang on. The norm was for it to be 5 yards off. Now this is ok'ish if you can see a fairway marker to be able to compensate for this, but if I was off in the rough I didn't know if I could trust the reading it was giving me.

I wish it wasn't the case but I ending up getting shop credit back (it was in perfect condition) and bought a skycaddie. I know I will miss the ability to just look at my wrist but I need to be able to trust what it is telling me.

I'm sure this isn't a fault of the watch....just the maps for the courses I play

shame really
[/quote]

I can only agree.I wanted to love the S1.
I'm in UK too, at my home coures it is useless, 200 yards wrong on one hole, 50 on another.
I've never had cause to doubt my Skycaddie, had it 4 years too.
I'd try an S1 again but only if they can prove some accurate mapping. (Mine packed up completely in any case after 4 rounds, had to go back)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this thing. Picked up this week and tested yesterday at Celtic Manor with my pro buddy who uses a laser. +/- 2-3 yards each time we compared. Same was true at my home course today. More than good enough for me. Couldn't be happier with this thing. Bummer that some of you guys have hard a raw deal with the S1!

Just got an S1 today. Couple of questions for you experts:

- on available course listings - what does Tree Cover mean?
- when new courses are added do you have to "download" anything or will they appear on the unit automatically
- how long on average does it take for a requested course to be added?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='oiler45' timestamp='1300934632' post='3082859']

- when new courses are added do you have to "download" anything or will they appear on the unit automatically

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

I think it means just that, that the course has tree-lined holes or is surrounded by trees and I guess they put it on there to alert you to the fact that this may affect the GPS signal? No problems for me so far though!

You need to connect the watch to a computer to update it and go to the Garmin website (www.garmin.com/CourseView).

As for how long it takes for a course to be added I do not know this sorry.

You will love this watch the more you use it if not already!

[quote name='happyh' timestamp='1300631659' post='3071281']
[quote name='jimmies78' timestamp='1300127668' post='3054485']
I wanted to love this watch - I really did - but at three courses in my area in N.Yorkshire the reading were anything between 35yards too long or bang on. The norm was for it to be 5 yards off. Now this is ok'ish if you can see a fairway marker to be able to compensate for this, but if I was off in the rough I didn't know if I could trust the reading it was giving me.

I wish it wasn't the case but I ending up getting shop credit back (it was in perfect condition) and bought a skycaddie. I know I will miss the ability to just look at my wrist but I need to be able to trust what it is telling me.

I'm sure this isn't a fault of the watch....just the maps for the courses I play

shame really
[/quote]

I can only agree.I wanted to love the S1.
I'm in UK too, at my home coures it is useless, 200 yards wrong on one hole, 50 on another.
I've never had cause to doubt my Skycaddie, had it 4 years too.
I'd try an S1 again but only if they can prove some accurate mapping. (Mine packed up completely in any case after 4 rounds, had to go back)
[/quote]

I purchased my s1 from golf galaxy. Everything seemed to work but all the readings were off.
I called Garmin support and they walked me through loading the the most up todate download.
Everything seems to be right on now.

[quote name='oiler45' timestamp='1300934632' post='3082859']

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Tree Cover applies to Garmin's other GPS units, including G5 and G3. The complete hole view may or may not include trees on the fairway. Showing the tree-line makes it easier to see the spot you want to select for readings, such as dog-legs or lay-up distances. Garmin's original maps did not indicate any tree cover, but their mapping department later started showing tree cover in their maps, and adding the tree cover by remapping earlier maps.

• 2 weeks later...

any more reviews?
this thing has my attention. i hate having to keep up with a 3rd party item, including my phone. this would be ideal.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1302574205' post='3144402']
any more reviews?
this thing has my attention. i hate having to keep up with a 3rd party item, including my phone. this would be ideal.
[/quote]

Still loving mine if that helps?! Feel this thing is saving me a couple of shots per round and time as I no longer have to pace out my yardages from the 150 yd stick. Lightweight and battery seems good. Will definitely do 36 holes.

`I gave up my skycaddie 2.5 for the Garmin Approach S1 watch. Simple to use, no more courses to download or annual fee. The only thing missing is the layup or target yardages the skycaddie gives you. For me I didn't use those functions very often so I'm glad I made the switch. I got mine for $200 shipped with coupon offer from Golfsmith a few months ago

Yes, the band and watch portion are all one. It has a funky looking 5 or 6 pin clip thing that attaches on the edge of the watch. I think a mini usb would have been a better option for charging but it is not a show stopper. Battery goes for about 12 hours. If you use the odometer function while playing a round it drains the battery more. Pretty cool to see how far you actually walk in a round though. It also can measure shot distance like the skycaddie. Finds the course you are at pretty fast, no issues.

[quote name='Spumoni' timestamp='1302625229' post='3146036']I think a mini usb would have been a better option for charging but it is not a show stopper.
[/quote]
Mini USB is not water/dirt proof so some kind of cover would have been necessary. Given the limited real estate on a watch size unit I think the contact pins was a good decision (similar to the smaller eTrex units).

DANG IT! I WANT ONE. dont have $200+ to spend on a watch right now. just picked up a mashie and a clicgear. this may have to be next, though.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I got my S1 today and have a question. I charged it up and turned it on out in my yard. It locked on a course near my home. It showed distance to the green from my house at 212 yards. The course is about 3/4 of a mile away. The other golf gps devices I have read 999 yards for distance greater than that. Am I missing something here or is my S1 screwed up? I registered it with Garmin and it told me that I have the latest software.

Halp.

[quote name='Rickochet' timestamp='1303261689' post='3169185']
I got my S1 today and have a question. I charged it up and turned it on out in my yard. It locked on a course near my home. It showed distance to the green from my house at 212 yards. The course is about 3/4 of a mile away. The other golf gps devices I have read 999 yards for distance greater than that. Am I missing something here or is my S1 screwed up? I registered it with Garmin and it told me that I have the latest software.

Halp.
[/quote]

After seeing your post, I turned mine on from my back yard. I am approx 1-1/2 miles from the near nearest course. My S1 distance shown were more like the distances from the tee box on the #1 hole. Perhaps its like being in demo mode when you are too far from the course. My unit has been 99.99% flawless for more than 5 months. I think your true test will be at the course. I don't think you have a problem. Please report your results after playing a round of golf. Good luck. Pars & birdies to ya'.

[quote name='hectex' timestamp='1303296455' post='3170083']

Halp.
[/quote]

After seeing your post, I turned mine on from my back yard. I am approx 1-1/2 miles from the near nearest course. My S1 distance shown were more like the distances from the tee box on the #1 hole. Perhaps its like being in demo mode when you are too far from the course. My unit has been 99.99% flawless for more than 5 months. I think your true test will be at the course. I don't think you have a problem. Please report your results after playing a round of golf. Good luck. Pars & birdies to ya'.
[/quote]

Same for me. It should work fine when you get to the course I just think you're too far away for it to register.

[quote name='Sean25rp' timestamp='1303297262' post='3170094']

Halp.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Same for me. It should work fine when you get to the course I just think you're too far away for it to register.
[/quote]
Thanks for the replies Sean and Hectex. I am going to take it to the course today to compare yardages with my Golf Guru 4. The yardage I got may be the scorecard yardage. I will know soon. I really hope the S1 works well. I really like the size and font sizes my old eyes can read without putting reading glasses on.

[quote name='Rickochet' timestamp='1303297784' post='3170105']
[quote name='Sean25rp' timestamp='1303297262' post='3170094']

Halp.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the replies Sean and Hectex. I am going to take it to the course today to compare yardages with my Golf Guru 4. I was concerned because the other GPS I have read 999 yards when beyond that. The yardage I got may be the scorecard yardage. I will know soon. I really hope the S1 works well. I really like the size and font sizes my old eyes can read without putting reading glasses on.
[/quote]

Sounds about right on the scorecard yardage as this was what I got when I left mine on GPS mode and drove home the other day.

Good news. I drove over to a course near my house and the S1 locked on quickly. Yardages seem pretty close to my Golf Guru 4. I really like this bugger. It is super easy to use and the big fonts are easy to see. I noticed that as I drove home the yardages clicked up to about 900 yards then the numbers showed as the card yardages. As I drove back to under 900 yards the yardages would change from score card yardage and start clicking down. The S1 is pretty good size but is only 25 grams heavier than the Casio sports watch I wear and I don't notice the extra weight. I don't plan to use this as my everyday watch but I think that I am really going to enjoy this. I think this would be super popular for someone who walks and only needs the basic info.

I hope to play tomorrow and plan to compare it to some other units and the surveyed in markers.

Used the Garmin S1 for the first time yesteday. Yardage was spot on. I absolutely loved having to just look down at my wrist to get the yardage. By the third hole, my golf partner was asking to give him a read to the green. No problem or time providing that information with the S1. The simplicity and accuracy was amazing. I did a fair amount of research and am thrilled with my decision to purchase this GPS.

I am interested in the band/watch interface.

Had one of those cool nike sports watches with the angled LCD.
But the band broke after a year or two and nike did not provide repair service for the band which was integral to the watch face. Nor could you get a replacement part to fix it.

If I had this watch, I'm not sure if I'd want to wear it every day....

Okay, I am torn....

I most always ride a cart..... For $200 plus $60 1X fee I can get the MX from Cally, or do I go for the S1 watch $249 and $50 rebate?

I have a Neo, and like it, but again, I seem to set it down or have it fall off the cart, and I have to "back-track" to find the bugger.....

I just wish the watch had info to water/bunkers you could scroll to....

Thoughts?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

They must be running this promo with all their retailers as well. I saw the same $50 rebate for Garmin GPS products on [url="http://www.golfclubs.com"]GolfClubs.com[/url] the other day. With all these great reviews for the watch i'm seriously contemplating getting one. Thanks for all the reviews!
[quote name='Ritt' timestamp='1304291148' post='3200513']
Check this out
[url="http://www.megagps.com/rebates/2011%20Garmin%20Approach%20$50%20Rebate.pdf"]http://www.megagps.c...50%20Rebate.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Here's where we might get burnt...

IF we wait a month, with a new generation come out? Or maybe the price drops to $149?

I want one to, but wish you could scroll to bunker/hazard distances....

Or, F-it! I should just buy the damn thing.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag