Wood Brothers Texan

Freddie-

If memory serves me, Sam Snead once was quoted as saying the following about Drivers-

"You'll be lucky to find two Drivers you really like in your lifetime."

Bob Tway was the first Tour player I remember who proudly showed his WB Texan, and that was over 30 years ago.

Recently won a wager about the early days of Callaway Golf, when they offered persimmon woods..

Sam Snead played an Izett driver nearly his whole career.

I own a Sam S oddity - a Wilson laminated driver with a certificate of authenticity from his son.

There's a story that Wilson sent drivers to Sam for testing, but he stashed them in the trunk of his car, and stayed with the Izett. He'd give away the Wilsons - which is what I assume I have - a test club.

Once the Izett broke, Sam never again found a driver he liked.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

CC, Here is a better pic of the "Perfect 10" named by Nick Faldo.. They are all custom made Texans, a few of them were made for PGA Tour players, you have probably seen some or most of them before.

Gene Sauers, 2nd from Left and 5th from left, and 2nd from Right.

Ben Crenshaw's 9 deg. 3rd from left.

Bernhard Langer's 1st Texan 4th from the Right..

Mark Brook's Texan blonde far right, (white/red/insert) can't be seen.

Custom made Texan made for Jackie Burke Jr. 5th from right..

4th from left, I'm convinced is (head shape and face) pretty similar to what Langer used in 1993. Its one I like to hit alot.

3rd from Right also a Tour Texan.

Texan at far left is like a clone to the Jackie Burke driver, even has the exact same grain and tons of carbon. Its like an exact twin. Same shaft and exact same swing weight..

You also once owned a Sluman Texan!

freddiec and I swap Wood Bros clubs occasionally, and I now have Sluman's Texan.We've both been at this Wood Bros collecting for decades.

My list of WB Tour clubs:

Seve Ballesteros - 3 drivers - Texan Masters insert, Texan EOM 60 firing pin insert, Spain Tribute.

Lee Trevino Texan (late addition)

Ben Crenshaw - Texan driver - White/Grey/White EOM insert

Hal Sutton - Texan driver - White fiber insert

Jeff Sluman - Texan driver

Steve Jones - Texan driver

Peter Jacobson All American (late addition

Henry Ransom - Texan driver - Red fiber insert

Pat Burke - Texan driver

Jay Delsing - Texan driver

Hugh Royer III - WB Dick Meckley proto - Red fiber insert

George Burns - Fairway Instrument - Red/White/Red fiber insert

Gene Sauers - 3 Fairway Instruments - Red fiber and Red/White/Red fiber inserts

PS - later additions - Lee Trevino Texan + Peter Jacobson All America with Jacobson added Speed Slot

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

CC, Here is a better pic of the "Perfect 10" named by Nick Faldo.. They are all custom made Texans, a few of them were made for PGA Tour players, you have probably seen some or most of them before.

Gene Sauers, 2nd from Left and 5th from left, and 2nd from Right.

Ben Crenshaw's 9 deg. 3rd from left.

Bernhard Langer's 1st Texan 4th from the Right..

Mark Brook's Texan blonde far right, (white/red/insert) can't be seen.

Custom made Texan made for Jackie Burke Jr. 5th from right..

4th from left, I'm convinced is (head shape and face) pretty similar to what Langer used in 1993. Its one I like to hit alot.

3rd from Right also a Tour Texan.

Texan at far left is like a clone to the Jackie Burke driver, even has the exact same grain and tons of carbon. Its like an exact twin. Same shaft and exact same swing weight..

You also once owned a Sluman Texan!

freddiec and I swap Wood Bros clubs occasionally, and I now have Sluman's Texan.We've both been at this Wood Bros collecting for decades.

My list of WB Tour clubs:

Seve Ballesteros - 3 drivers - Texan Masters insert, Texan EOM 60 firing pin insert, Spain Tribute.

Ben Crenshaw - Texan driver - White/Grey/White EOM insert

Hal Sutton - Texan driver - White fiber insert

Jeff Sluman - Texan driver

Steve Jones - Texan driver

Henry Ransom - Texan driver - Red fiber insert

Pat Burke - Texan driver

Jay Delsing - Texan driver

Hugh Royer III - WB Dick Meckley proto - Red fiber insert

George Burns - Fairway Instrument - Red/White/Red fiber insert

Gene Sauers - 3 Fairway Instruments - Red fiber and Red/White/Red fiber inserts

Texsport

Tex-

You also have the 3 LH Wood Bros models...... :taunt:

One of your LH models may have belonged to PGA Tour winner Phil Blackmars father...

rex235

Yep, never showed the LH Texan to Dave Wood for positive I D.

I am working on a photo file of the entire collection, however, which Dave has been requesting. Just getting around to it after retirement.

Maybe the LH Texan will finally be identified.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Wood Bros site lists Mickelson as a customer + I read an article in a golf publication which interviewed Phil about his persimmons. He said the last one he played was a Wood Bros.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

I think the extra work on All Americans is because every All American sole plate was first cut to a standard size, and then slightly custom trimmed to fit each head.

The All Americans were individually different, customized for each player. They were generally more custom than the later era Texans, which became pretty standard. (The earliest Texans were customized). On smaller All American heads, or heads with smaller soles, the sole plates were individually shaped to fit.

You may notice that on some smaller headed All Americans, the West Coast side of the sole plates are trimmed back and rounded off, for fit.

Dave also would sometimes shift the sole plates forward for fit. This would require custom cutting into the Ram's Horn leading edge to accommodate the East Coast side of the sole plate.

I'd say the most valuable All Americans might be the larger headed versions, which required no trimming - you get the full- sized sole plate. However, to fully appreciate the craftsmanship of Dave Wood, examples of more customized versions would be required for inspection.

A study of Wood Bros clubs will lead to an enormous appreciation for the hand craftsmanship and artistry of Dave Wood, the founder and driving force of Wood Bros. With these clubs, the general public was able to buy customization and hand work generally only available to professional players. Wood Bros was the last great hand made club maker.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

The Schultz connection is.strong because Mr Schultz was Chairman of Bectel Industries - a Houston firm.

In addition to the 1st All American, Dave later, also made a few clubs with custom Bectel sole plates for Mr Schultz's daughter and a couple of executives. Those clubs were Kool Cats, stained very dark walnut with a bright red Bectel logged sole plate. I have 2 of them.

The Japan Tribute sole plates have brass inserts inserted into cutouts in the base aluminum sole plate - quite elaborate.

The most complicated inserts were the Velocitized and Eye-O-Magic 60. Dave copied these from MacGregor/Toney Penna, but made very few because the small insert plugs and bullseyes were screwed deeper into the head - solid feeling "firing pins". MacGregor discontinued them because of the difficulty in repairing them.

Dave completely restored a set of SS-1 Velocitized woods for me in the late 1980s - I had long discussions and watched him unscrew the bullseye from the driver. Most repairmen simply cut the firing pins off behind the inserts.

Dave made a Velocitized inset for his 1st Crenshaw Texan driver and an E-O-M 60 Texan for Seve, because he loved the firing pin. Both of those clubs are in my Wood Bros collection.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Dave once told me the story of how the All American was born. Shultz daughter was introduced to the Wood Bros clubs somehow while on a golf course, thought they were really neat, called Dave and wanted him to create something very "unique" for her Dad.. She wanted to surprise him with a special club, the All American was born. If I remember at the time the Daughter might have been dating a player that had a WB.. That part I'm not 100 percent, but her calling Dave about a unique club is..

I've heard lots of stories from Dave, my Texan which Langer played was somewhat inspired by the movie "Christine", when Dave built the 1988 Tour Demo he wanted the club to have "Soul".

rex235

I recently acquired a 2nd LH Wood Bros Corker.

They're rare, but a few are out there.

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

rex235

I recently acquired a 2nd LH Wood Bros Corker.

They're rare, but a few are out there.

Texsport

Tex-

Have seen as many as a half dozen different LH WB Texans. Was looking for a LH Kool Cat, but not a LH Corker.

Your collection of LH WB Drivers (Texan, Kool Cat, and Corker) remains the standard.

As for me- am happy with one WB.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, it has been a while! I am making some changes to my collecting habits and have decided to offer some of my WB drivers to those within this forum as I know they will go where they should!

If you are interested, please send me a PM with your offer and I will confirm who will win on Sunday, March 29th.

I am putting up a few great ones!

#1: my avatar, The Australian! It is one of the first ever built by Dave Wood and is virtually the twin to the one he refurbished that was Steve Elkingtons!

#2: one of a kind, All American built for Peter Jacobsen! Unique speed slot like you would have seen in Hogans!

#3: All Japan driver, never hit!

#4 Texan custom built / promotional club with WYNNER logo

Any questions, let me know!

CC

WOW CC!

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Well folks, it has been a while! I am making some changes to my collecting habits and have decided to offer some of my WB drivers to those within this forum as I know they will go where they should!

If you are interested, please send me a PM with your offer and I will confirm who will win on Sunday, March 29th.

#1: my avatar, The Australian! It is one of the first ever built by Dave Wood and is virtually the twin to the one he refurbished that was Steve Elkingtons!

#2: one of a kind, All American built for Peter Jacobsen! Unique speed slot like you would have seen in Hogans!

CC

I hope that's a mistake for 29th April, otherwise that's a long wait!

CC

I hope that's a mistake for 29th April, otherwise that's a long wait!

The 29 th is only 4 days away buddy!

Here are 3 more available!

Custom Texan with RWR insert and DW on neck!

Black Texan that was used by Lee Trevino, came from his caddie Herman

Blonde Texan, no loft markings and unique aluminum shaft

PM me if interested as before. BTW, I will not be sharing any offers, simply best offer by Sunday (assuming not rediculous), wins!

CC

Here are pictures of the following:

The Australian

All Japan

Texan WYNNER

Will be posting other pictures of the All American Jacobsen and some others!

CC

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to add the Australian to my collection but I know it will be way out of my price range. It will end up going to a home who appreciates the craftsmanship of Wood Brothers Golf.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Getting some offers folks, thanks! Keep in mind that if you would be interested in multiple clubs, send me offers on the package as well as individual clubs. I would likely consider packages if fair over moving clubs piece meal..

I may just include something additional within any packages too!

CC

Getting some offers folks, thanks! Keep in mind that if you would be interested in multiple clubs, send me offers on the package as well as individual clubs. I would likely consider packages if fair over moving clubs piece meal..

I may just include something additional within any packages too!

CC

CC, my offer would be considered an insult to the Australian. If the Australian sits square to maybe a degree open then she's perfect. Typical April financial constraints. Believe me, the Australian would be well taken care for and loved in my home! :)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on