The best training aid I have ever used bar none

choptalk

There are 5 dynamics of the golf swing, and one of them is the flat left wrist.

how many pros do you want me to list that don't have a flat wrist during the swing?

if you're saying to not flip, then yes.

During or at impact?

I have the SKLZ version of the glove. Doesn't have the hinge but that shouldn't matter, you can still **** properly. My only criticism is that you can still cup your wrist slightly inside the glove.

What I don't like about the SKLZ version is that it resists proper hinging of my left wrist too much. I want to feel no resistance on proper hinging E.g.

hinge%20up.JPGhinge%20down.JPG

and resistance on improper cupping.

Maybe it's an individualized feeling but I've never felt the SKLZ glove limited proper hinging (side to side hinging of the wrist).

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't like about the SKLZ version is that it resists proper hinging of my left wrist too much. I want to feel no resistance on proper hinging E.g.

hinge%20up.JPGhinge%20down.JPG

and resistance on improper cupping.

Maybe it's an individualized feeling but I've never felt the SKLZ glove limited proper hinging (side to side hinging of the wrist).

I've tried both and the Dynamic Swing Glove has less resistance to hinging due to the two-piece design. This is especially true if I wear the gloves snuggly.

swing-glove1.gif

My main issue with the plastic-hinge Dynamic Swing Glove is that it also lets me cup my wrist very easily due to the weak plastic internals. That and the costs to replace it frequently led me to search for something better.

I am not sure if http://www.surewrist.com is it since I haven't used it. If anybody has any experience with it and it doesn't work as advertised, I'd appreciate a post to save me the trouble of getting and then returning it. Thanks.

sorry if i'm being that guy, but would a ruler and a rubber band get this done?

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1300764150' post='3076466']
[/quote]

Yes, sometimes a lot more painfully, though. I've used tees stuck in gloves too. The problem is if you do something like that in a long range session be prepared leave with a bloody wrist :lol:

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1300773035' post='3076805']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1300764150' post='3076466']
[/quote]

Yes, sometimes a lot more painfully, though. I've used tees stuck in gloves too. The problem is if you do something like that in a long range session be prepared leave with a bloody wrist :lol:
[/quote]

I've also tried both the comb and the ruler. My comb broke at finish and I almost cut myself bloody. The ruler was stronger but it hurt big time when I am trying to finish with a cupped left wrist (which all pros do). I couldn't hit more than 3 balls with it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is part of SureWrist's appeal. At least the designer got this requirement right. I don't know how it pops and gives though. It looks too simple to do that.

i'm going to go with weight at the end of a string. if you swing back and forth with that from toe up to top up, matching the weight swinging, you have a perfect pendulum feel that helps a lot.

i'd also say two alignment sticks. if you're not setup consistently, whether open, closed, or square, it makes it a lot harder to groove a swing.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Great thread.

Last year I bought a new wrist watch and it had a much larger crown (winder thingy) that I have ever worn before. First thing I noticed when golfing or practicing was a noticeable red mark and irritation on the back of my hand where my watch had been pushed by my cupped wrist. So then and there I knew I had a pretty severe cupped impact position issue since my takeaway and top of swing position was not nearly as cupped.

So I bought one of these gloves (not sure if it is the same or similar) but it immediately helped me feel and understand the flat left wrist to a much higher degree.

I have also tried the impact bag and when I concentrate on getting a flat left wrist it is possible but trying an 80% swing in the impact bag results in same cupped wrist as in normal practice. So I guess I have learned, that while an impact bag is a good tool, it is still possible to do it wrong and think you maybe have done it right.

For me the new watch has been instrumental in showing me once and for all that I was cupped, and quite consistently so.

[quote name='caryk' timestamp='1291133733' post='2816016']
Glad to see that's worked for you and is helping you understand how that feels. [b] I've learned though that a flat left wrist is NOT the result of any conscious effort to create it but rather the consequence of a good downswing motion that allows the left wrist to get to that position naturally, not artificially. If you let physics do it's thing, that should happen automatically.[/b]

[b]Like you, I thought creating that flat left wrist position was the "nirvana" position and what I needed to strive for when in reality, it was the physics of the swing that I really needed to understand. The FLW is just a beneficial by-product of that. Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.[/b]
[/quote]

Well, it turns out that both Chop and Caryk are correct. But, you have to go into more depth on the subject. It's something we've been working on for over 20 years and finally have a cure for casting and coming over the top, flipping, chickenwinging, etc.

(1) Flat or bowed left wrist at top (think Dustin johnson) for example, versus Gary Player who was on Golf Channel with Michael B. and stated that the biggest mistake ams make is not to cup their wrist at the top. By the way, Jim Colbert personally told me the same thing, and I personally think the easiest way to move in the backswing is to to that.

But then the question then becomes - which (or somewhere in between) is easier and more effective for you. It's not something that I consciously think about anymore - I have no need to do that. The swing is a motion, and unfortunately we do not practice it like the game is played. For example, in the [size="2"]May 2010 issue of Golf magazine, Rickie Fowler said "My game is all about hitting all-feel,no-think shots."[/size]

(2) There are the aha moments, but the trick is that you not only have to create a reliable swing, but you must maintain it. That's where caryk's post is right on:

[color="#0000FF"]Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.[/color]

and how you have to do that is thru "Feel." [b] This feeling is subject to change[/b], so you need something that will allow you to rekindle that feel as fast as possible.

If you notice the video on the Power Tools page, you'll notice that Jr has a perfectly flat leading wrist at impact. He's not consciously trying to do that, as its just a result of the correct swinging motion.
[color="#0000FF"] [/color]
[color="#0000FF"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]Good Luck,[/size][/color][/size][/color]
[color="#0000FF"] [/color]
[color="#0000FF"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]J
[/size][/color][/size][/color]

[quote name='John Novosel' timestamp='1300804276' post='3077289']
Glad to see that's worked for you and is helping you understand how that feels. [b]I've learned though that a flat left wrist is NOT the result of any conscious effort to create it but rather the consequence of a good downswing motion that allows the left wrist to get to that position naturally, not artificially. If you let physics do it's thing, that should happen automatically.[/b]

[b]Like you, I thought creating that flat left wrist position was the "nirvana" position and what I needed to strive for when in reality, it was the physics of the swing that I really needed to understand. The FLW is just a beneficial by-product of that. Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.[/b]
[/quote]

Well, it turns out that both Chop and Caryk are correct. But, you have to go into more depth on the subject. It's something we've been working on for over 20 years and finally have a cure for casting and coming over the top, flipping, chickenwinging, etc.

(1) Flat or bowed left wrist at top (think Dustin johnson) for example, versus Gary Player who was on Golf Channel with Michael B. and stated that the biggest mistake ams make is not to cup their wrist at the top. By the way, Jim Colbert personally told me the same thing, and I personally think the easiest way to move in the backswing is to to that.

But then the question then becomes - which (or somewhere in between) is easier and more effective for you. It's not something that I consciously think about anymore - I have no need to do that. The swing is a motion, and unfortunately we do not practice it like the game is played. For example, in the [size="2"]May 2010 issue of Golf magazine, Rickie Fowler said "My game is all about hitting all-feel,no-think shots."[/size]

(2) There are the aha moments, but the trick is that you not only have to create a reliable swing, but you must maintain it. That's where caryk's post is right on:

[color="#0000ff"]Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.[/color]

and how you have to do that is thru "Feel." [b]This feeling is subject to change[/b], so you need something that will allow you to rekindle that feel as fast as possible.

If you notice the video on the Power Tools page, you'll notice that Jr has a perfectly flat leading wrist at impact. He's not consciously trying to do that, as its just a result of the correct swinging motion.
[color="#0000ff"][/color]
[color="#0000ff"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]Good Luck,[/size][/color][/size][/color]
[color="#0000ff"][/color]
[color="#0000ff"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]J
[/quote]

John,

Big fan of your work. How about putting and chipping (those little swings)? Is there any problem employing a training aid to help you sense whether your left wrist have broken down or not?

I used to be a slicer and cupped my wrist at the top big time. The first time I tried to maintain a flat left wrist (at one of the Nike schools) at the top, I pulled the balls way left. After a few shots I realized that in order not to pull it, I had to swing from the inside out. That got me to hit straight and draw (and about one to two clubs longer). Is that bad? Should I go back to cupping my wrist and try to draw it another way?

Thanks.

[quote name='swhite' timestamp='1300847170' post='3079485']
[quote name='John Novosel' timestamp='1300804276' post='3077289']
Glad to see that's worked for you and is helping you understand how that feels. [b]I've learned though that a flat left wrist is NOT the result of any conscious effort to create it but rather the consequence of a good downswing motion that allows the left wrist to get to that position naturally, not artificially. If you let physics do it's thing, that should happen automatically.[/b]

[/quote]

[color="#0000ff"]Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.[/color]

and how you have to do that is thru "Feel." [b]This feeling is subject to change[/b], so you need something that will allow you to rekindle that feel as fast as possible.

[color="#0000ff"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]Good Luck,[/size][/color][/size][/color]

[color="#0000ff"][size="4"][color="#000000"][size="2"]J
[/quote]

John,

Big fan of your work. How about putting and chipping (those little swings)? Is there any problem employing a training aid to help you sense whether your left wrist have broken down or not?

I used to be a slicer and cupped my wrist at the top big time. The first time I tried to maintain a flat left wrist (at one of the Nike schools) at the top, I pulled the balls way left. After a few shots I realized that in order not to pull it, I had to swing from the inside out. That got me to hit straight and draw (and about one to two clubs longer). Is that bad? Should I go back to cupping my wrist and try to draw it another way?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hey swhite,

[color="#0000FF"]Big fan of your work.[/color]

Thanks, much appreciate the kind words.

[color="#0000FF"]How about putting and chipping (those little swings)?[/color]

putting - [url="http://tourtempo.com/electricputter.html"]http://tourtempo.com...tricputter.html[/url]

chipping - [url="http://www.powertoolsgolf.com/"]http://www.powertoolsgolf.com/[/url] We have a special drill that we do with Power Tools PW that takes care of learning the correct feel for chipping, as chipping is no more than smaller version of this:

[attachment=750449:OnlyMove.jpg]

[color="#0000FF"][color="#000000"]Basically we only do things that work and allow you to easily transfer those feels to the course. I don't have time for things that don't do that.[/color][/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Is there any problem employing a training aid to help you sense whether your left wrist have broken down or not[color="#000000"][color="#0000FF"]?[/color][/color][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][color="#000000"][color="#0000FF"][color="#000000"]Intrinsically, no, but where we are with our playing and teaching is why not learn to perform and thereby 'feel' the correct motion? Unfortunately, conventional teaching is stuck on pointing out faults and then prescribing fixes. We have found that when you get the right feel, all the little things that most obsess on actually work themselves out - including the flat left wrist at impact.[/color]
[/color][/color]
After a few shots I realized that in order not to pull it, I had to swing from the inside out[color="#000000"]. [/color]That got me to hit straight and draw (and about one to two clubs longer). Is that bad?[/color]

Haha, no, that sounds extremely good to me ! Golden rule - use whatever works. As long as you don't have to think about it and have no problem taking it to the course, just keep doing it.

Hope this helps, and any q's, let me know.

J

Hi,

I searched everywhere and can't find any metal hinged Dynamic Swing Glove. Looks like they don't make them that way anymore.

Short of that, SureWrist seems to have similar benefits of the Dynamic Swing Glove without the drawbacks like the frequent replacement cost when the glove wears out. Still looking for anybody who has experience with it before I spend the money. If I don't hear from someone soon, I might just go ahead and be the Guinea pig.

Thanks.

Just got it at home tonight. Could only putt indoors. WOW!

I always thought my putting mechanics is pretty good. SureWrist lets me know otherwise. I actually have subtle movements of my hands (very minute flip), and the sound of Velcro unhooking (even though from just a few strands) is undeniable. It’s driving me crazy!! :wacko: After struggling for about 10 minutes, I finally was able to completely eliminate the sound and the change of pressure on my forearm.

My contacts feel much more solid. Putts went longer than before but VERY consistent. I was able to repeatedly roll 3 balls from various distances (as long as 20 feet) right next to each other.

Also, I feel like I was using different muscles to putt (once the hands are taken out of the picture). It’s weird that my abdominal muscles actually felt a little tired after 30 minutes.

Will go and play tomorrow and see how this thing performs on the course.

Report:

Played 9 holes with SureWrist. Couldn't use it for full 18 because we had a couple of money games going on and my partners insisted that I took it off for the back nine :angry: .

I made 3 putts that I usually wouldn't make and chipped two of them super close. Didn't use it for full swing.

I tried to argue that nobody complained when I played with Dynamic Swing Glove, why the double standard on SureWrist. But they voted me down. After a couple of holes into the back nine, I started missing chips and putts like the old me and gave some of the money back.

Nevertheless, I came home with quite some change in my pocket. It's hard to believe that SureWrist already paid for itself in one round!

I will try to practice my long game with it next week and see if if helps.

I'm not big on training aids, because they can cause you to focus on one particular motion and exaggerate it to the point where it doesn't work with the rest of your swing. That said, I like the following training aids:

- Pure ball striker: It allows you to feel lag pressure in your trail hand to help you maintain lag and eliminate casting
- Impact bag: This is probably the best training aid ever. Again, helps with impact position and lag.
- Tour striker iron: This allows you to hit normal shots but doesn't allow you to get away with any casting or flipping.

I recommend all of these, they work, and you don't have to worry about messing your swing up by working with them too much.

Report on SureWrist

Practiced with it twice this week. Started with half swings (left arm to 9 o'clock position). Felt funny at first since I needed to clear my hip a lot more to hit the ball. See the video below at right past the 1:00 mark, the student was showing the teacher with some practice swings, check out his hip movement and that's exactly what I felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyG8JC5wT4

Balls came out one to two clubs lower than my old swing. I.e. I feel like I my 9 iron turned into an 8 or 7. Seemed to have more spin since the balls checked very quickly. Not sure trading trajectory with spin is a good thing; opinions welcome.

Biggest difference is that I felt it's very easy to hit the ball SOLID. Not only did I hit the center of the club face much more regularly, I was also nailing them slightly higher on the club face which gave me the soft buttery feel.

I put SureWrist inside of my glove instead of between the Velcro and that gave me a lot more feedback. Wear%20under%20glove.JPG

As I progressed into full swing, I struggled. My guess is that I tend to turn my shoulders before most of the weight got transferred to my left foot. SureWrist probably requires a good bit of weight on the left foot before the turn on full swings. I just couldn't shake the old habit. Maybe a bucket of balls isn't enough. Will give it another week and see what happens.

Oh, by the way, do not wear SureWrist in your glove as above on full swings. It hurts big time when I couldn't keep my left wrist flat :cry: . It's better to put it in between the Velcro strips. Much less sting.

• 6 years later...

Worst training aid product I have ever purchased. This device is too weak and needs to be much stronger. This will not keep your wrist from breaking down! Don't wast your money. The best I have ever used is the Wrist Firm. This product is no longer available anywhere. I loned mine out to a friend and that friend was killed in a accident and I never got it back. I have used many devices and this one should not be one that you waste your money on.

Nice input. Can I ask, how you learned how to go about creating the correct downswing motion allowing the hands to move away from the body. Can you recommend any drills / videos to assist with this?

Despite that, I think this glove looks good. Learning how the left wrist should move in the swing is very important. After 15 years playing golf, i have only recently realised that my wrist action is totally wrong and trying to break old habits is very difficult indeed. Some recent threads on here have helped a lot though.

I actually learned it using an simple aid my daughter has fun with (she's a +0.7 HCP). It's called a SNAG Snapper. It's a handle with a streamer attached to it. The idea is to swing it so that the streamer makes a loud "snap", kinda like crack the whip. She's really good at it but when I initially tried it, I had all kinds of trouble trying to get it to do that. Part of my problem was that I was moving the handle forward when I swung it. I could never get it to snap. Then my bright daughter showed my how she did it and I realized she was accelerating her hands away from her body as hard as she could towards a spot on the floor where a ball would be. Once that clicked with me, I tried it again and lo and behold, I was snapping it just as hard as she was. It sure frustrated me at first before she gave me the "secret" .. lol.

Here's what it looks like ... http://shop.nays.org...napper-1090.cfm

It's pretty inexpensive actually but you can't make it snap unless have a good downswing motion. You'll achieve a flat left wrist without even trying if you learn how to do that. It's fun to use. We have contests now to see who can make it snap the loudest (unfortunately she still wins most of them .. lol).

Btw, watch the last couple of seconds of the video in post #14 with Jeff Evans and you'll see exactly what the hands should be doing.

Broken link!

Nice input. Can I ask, how you learned how to go about creating the correct downswing motion allowing the hands to move away from the body. Can you recommend any drills / videos to assist with this?

Despite that, I think this glove looks good. Learning how the left wrist should move in the swing is very important. After 15 years playing golf, i have only recently realised that my wrist action is totally wrong and trying to break old habits is very difficult indeed. Some recent threads on here have helped a lot though.

I actually learned it using an simple aid my daughter has fun with (she's a +0.7 HCP). It's called a SNAG Snapper. It's a handle with a streamer attached to it. The idea is to swing it so that the streamer makes a loud "snap", kinda like crack the whip. She's really good at it but when I initially tried it, I had all kinds of trouble trying to get it to do that. Part of my problem was that I was moving the handle forward when I swung it. I could never get it to snap. Then my bright daughter showed my how she did it and I realized she was accelerating her hands away from her body as hard as she could towards a spot on the floor where a ball would be. Once that clicked with me, I tried it again and lo and behold, I was snapping it just as hard as she was. It sure frustrated me at first before she gave me the "secret" .. lol.

It's pretty inexpensive actually but you can't make it snap unless have a good downswing motion. You'll achieve a flat left wrist without even trying if you learn how to do that. It's fun to use. We have contests now to see who can make it snap the loudest (unfortunately she still wins most of them .. lol).

Btw, watch the last couple of seconds of the video in post #14 with Jeff Evans and you'll see exactly what the hands should be doing.

Broken link!

I just got one of these and is the best aid I've used, plus it makes it fun to see how loud you can snap it.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Glad to see that's worked for you and is helping you understand how that feels. I've learned though that a flat left wrist is NOT the result of any conscious effort to create it but rather the consequence of a good downswing motion that allows the left wrist to get to that position naturally, not artificially. If you let physics do it's thing, that should happen automatically.

This is just MHO, I think those who tend to flip struggle with that because they have too much lateral motion with their hands (moving them towards the target) as they approach impact. The result is as they do that they subconsciously pull their hands TOWARDS their body rather then allow them to move AWAY for it. That in essence defeats the natural physics of the swing (i.e. centrifugal force) and requires you to flip as well as come out of your spine angle in order to allow the club enough time and space to bottom out.

Like you, I thought creating that flat left wrist position was the "nirvana" position and what I needed to strive for when in reality, it was the physics of the swing that I really needed to understand. The FLW is just a beneficial by-product of that. Take it from a former flipper ... if you learn how to create a good downswing motion, everything else will fall into place.

That's a great explanation, thanks for sharing! Makes a lot of sense ( fits my swing to a tee at least).

Jasonic

Can you post a link to where you purchased it? A search online only shows "sold out"

I took a lesson from Ben Jackson at fast first and he gave me one. I would contact snag directly or maybe eBay? I also recommend Ben jackson as he's a little out there but his method works. I've already gained over 10 mph of speed and better sequencing after one lesson. It's no joke.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Broken link!

I just got one of these and is the best aid I've used, plus it makes it fun to see how loud you can snap it.

IMO, this seems like the dumbest training aid I’ve ever seen, would only suit a true hacker.

Broken link!

IMO, this seems like the dumbest training aid I’ve ever seen, would only suit a true hacker.

Just what this site needs another ignorant troll with nothing beneficial to add. Welcome troll

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I’ve read the rules, and I’ve attempted to not make any personal attacks. You on the other hand seem to be intent on making them.

Now you're the victim? Lol Calling anyone who has an aid that you are completely ignorant about a true hacker is borderline at best. Grow up newb.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

A Twirl Baton...

61%2BQbLVO2VL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

The hand/wrist action of a sound golf swing is one of the most difficult and illusive things to understand and to learn. If you can learn to twirl a baton with both wrists (not in the fingers) on both sides of the impact zone it will bring a wonderful new awareness of how the forearms, wrists and hands work through impact. It shouldn't be that hard for anyone to learn once they watch this video and spend a little time on the practice range incorporating it into their swing. But, when this 'twirl' hand/wrist action happens during the downswing is what takes most people by total surprise. If you can learn to completely abandon all control to the baton twirl and have your body get out of the way you'll learn what it's like to have hand/wrist action that golfers find so desirable, yet so illusive. Trust and confidence should come quickly...

When you learn how and when to do it you'll probably feel for the first time what good hand/wrist action truly feels like ... and when you see the results of what good hand/wrist action does for your golf swing you'll wonder why it has taken so long to find it.

[media=]

[/media]
[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]