Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

Did a couple of my wedges tonight after spending a great deal of time reading this thread. First off thanks to all of you who contributed. Second....if you are thinking of trying this I say go for it. I messed up a couple of times at the beginning but once I got a feel for how the paint travelled and stuff it was easy and a lot of fun. All you do is clean up ans start again. Once I do my entire set of irons I'll post some pics.

Beats sitting on the couch waiting for it to snow or watching some stupid @ss show.

• 2 weeks later...

How is Tamiya paint holding up without clear coat? Just curious.

Update - very well. Much better than expected. Will be my go-to from now on.

Absolutely critical to give a thorough amount of time to drying.

How long did you wait for drying? Did you use a primer before and/or a clear coat

I used no primer or clear coat. It has held up well, but not perfectly. The same issues continue to plague it; the 8-iron is particularly susceptible to chipping - same as any other.

I fully believe that's why Ping's new iron numbers have the chrome bottoms with thin paint lines; it'll last a lot longer that way.

I let it dry 72h. I imagine 48 would have been enough.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spent like 10 straight minutes rubbing my MD3's with acetone and paper towels and it didn't even make a dent in removing the stock paint fill. My fingers just kept rubbing over top of the lettering, and I wasn't actually able to rub the inside of the grooves to get the paint out.

Are you supposed to use a brush? Something stronger than acetone? I got pretty damn frustrated.

I spent like 10 straight minutes rubbing my MD3's with acetone and paper towels and it didn't even make a dent in removing the stock paint fill. My fingers just kept rubbing over top of the lettering, and I wasn't actually able to rub the inside of the grooves to get the paint out.

Are you supposed to use a brush? Something stronger than acetone? I got pretty damn frustrated.

Try Citrustrip

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Rust O Leum auto stripper - spray it on, walk away, come back in 20 minutes and take an old tooth brush under water and first time is usually a charm (some times it takes more than one time).

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Tal-Strip works really well, but it is some strong crap so handle with care! I'm not sure if it's safe to use on irons with PVD or other finishes outside of chrome or satin heads either, as I've never tested.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

For those that have been using Tamiya on irons, have you been using the Clear or regular colors? For example, X14 Sky Blue or X23 Clear Blue? I don't know chit about it, but it seems to me that the clear more fits the use case of filling in the cameron dots than the numbers on irons.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I have a question - does anyone use the pipettes to paintfill? https://www.golfworks.com/paintfill-bottle/p/PBT/

I bought some of these and poured all of the paint into them, thinking the paint would stay usable. However, it ended up all drying out. I didn't think they were one time use only, and it seems like any of the pictures I see OEMs post (like Callaway's twitter feed or facebook page) show them just having a bunch of these filled with paint to use.

Do I need to add thinner to the paint or something to keep it from drying? Any suggestions?

It's not a large sum or money, but wasting almost an entire testors paint plus a one of these paintfill bottles each time seems silly.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I have a question - does anyone use the pipettes to paintfill? https://www.golfwork...l-bottle/p/PBT/

I bought some of these and poured all of the paint into them, thinking the paint would stay usable. However, it ended up all drying out. I didn't think they were one time use only, and it seems like any of the pictures I see OEMs post (like Callaway's twitter feed or facebook page) show them just having a bunch of these filled with paint to use.

Do I need to add thinner to the paint or something to keep it from drying? Any suggestions?

It's not a large sum or money, but wasting almost an entire testors paint plus a one of these paintfill bottles each time seems silly.

I'd like to know as well. I'm wondering if a syringe would be even easier.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I have a question - does anyone use the pipettes to paintfill? https://www.golfwork...l-bottle/p/PBT/

The needle size on those ones from the golf works was nice, was able to control the flow pretty nicely. Just not sure if next time I should only put a little bit of paint into the bottle each time I want to use?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

The needle size on those ones from the golf works was nice, was able to control the flow pretty nicely. Just not sure if next time I should only put a little bit of paint into the bottle each time I want to use?

Maybe cover the needle with tape afterwards?

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Maybe cover the needle with tape afterwards?

Maybe I can try that. They come with rubber covers for the tip that seemed to be pretty tight, which is all I used last time.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Tal-Strip works really well, but it is some strong crap so handle with care! I'm not sure if it's safe to use on irons with PVD or other finishes outside of chrome or satin heads either, as I've never tested.

Tal-Strip or Rustoleum Aircraft remover are basically the same thing and will strip paint in a minute or so. As said, it's strong stuff. Apply outside and use safety glasses. Disposable rubber gloves are a good idea too.

Be near water when you use it. If you get any on your skin, you're going to need to wash it off immediately. Not that it won't be apparent within a couple of seconds, but make sure you don't have too far to go. I got some on my hand and it started to burn after a second or two. I washed it right off, within 10 seconds, and was glad I didn't leave it on any longer.

Acetone will work, but it takes longer. Soak the painted part in acetone for 30 minutes, then scrub with an old toothbrush. You might ght need to repeat to get everything out.

So the top 2 brands of paint I've seen over and over again are Testors and Tamiya. Where exactly are you getting these at?! Both websites list Michaels and Hobby Lobby as vendors, but nowhere local carries them. Have been in both Michaels and Hobby lobby.

Also, are we talking strictly acrylic paints? There aren't many options on Amazon, but I did find a color of the Testors I want, but it says it's enamel paint. Is that okay to use?

did ya let it set for 20 + min. so as to soften the paint?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

First paint fill job here. Changed the metal x milled color scheme to USA! Still need to get the SS USA flag to complete, but here is what I have so far.

Looks great. The Tal Strip did not remove the black coating from the putter? I'd love to modify my See More but don't want to strip off the finish

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

FYI to anyone having trouble getting paint out: I used CitriStrip Gel on my Mizuno MX-200's. Put a decent glob over each section I wanted to remove and let it sit overnight. When I came back the paint was separated from the clubs and floating in the gel. I would wipe off with a towel and you could see the word 'Mizuno' in full letters. Worked amazingly well. Just a sewing needle to pick out the stubborn corners but otherwise no scrubbing needed at all. No idea how it might affect other finishes though.

Did a couple of my wedges tonight after spending a great deal of time reading this thread. First off thanks to all of you who contributed. Second....if you are thinking of trying this I say go for it. I messed up a couple of times at the beginning but once I got a feel for how the paint travelled and stuff it was easy and a lot of fun. All you do is clean up ans start again. Once I do my entire set of irons I'll post some pics.

Beats sitting on the couch waiting for it to snow or watching some stupid @ss show.

And ? :taunt:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

This is honestly the most frustrating ordeal I've ever done in my entire life. I'm beyond angry right now. You guys must all have the patience of saints, have a background in hobby-ing, or I'm doing something completely wrong.

Acetone didn't do a single damn thing for me. So I took up some advice on here and purchase Citristrip. I sprayed it on my wedges.

4FyAnMll.jpg

Ran some errands. Let it sit/soak there for over an hour. Came back, scrubbed the s*** out of it with a tooth brush, then used a rag and water to scrub some more. This is my end result.

bM5n3arl.jpg

Not.

A.

Damn.

Thing.

I just wish I could pay someone to do this for me. This is absolutely not worth the hassle and money I've spent on all the materials. I give up.

This is honestly the most frustrating ordeal I've ever done in my entire life. I'm beyond angry right now. You guys must all have the patience of saints, have a background in hobby-ing, or I'm doing something completely wrong.

Acetone didn't do a single damn thing for me. So I took up some advice on here and purchase Citristrip. I sprayed it on my wedges.

4FyAnMll.jpg

Ran some errands. Let it sit/soak there for over an hour. Came back, scrubbed the s*** out of it with a tooth brush, then used a rag and water to scrub some more. This is my end result.

bM5n3arl.jpg

Not.

A.

Damn.

Thing.

I just wish I could pay someone to do this for me. This is absolutely not worth the hassle and money I've spent on all the materials. I give up.

OK, a couple things...

First, spray? Just take a stick or q tip or whatever, and apply it in a lump to where you can no longer see the paint.

Then, let it dry overnight.

If it doesn't just come off with a toothbrush in the morning, I'll eat my hat.

Back to spray... it's a goopy gel. Right? Don't tell me they have a new product...

OK, a couple things...

First, spray? Just take a stick or q tip or whatever, and apply it in a lump to where you can no longer see the paint.

Then, let it dry overnight.

If it doesn't just come off with a toothbrush in the morning, I'll eat my hat.

Back to spray... it's a goopy gel. Right? Don't tell me they have a new product...

I've read online to use the spray? I've never done this before, and I figured spray would be easier. I guess I can return this and get the tub of gel or whatever.

Also, after posting last night, I decided to try again. I sprayed both my 56 and 52 down, left them out all night, and scrubbed again this morning. They were covered/soaking from 10pm until 7:30am.

5Fvw9ufh.jpg

Still, absolutely nothing. That's 10.5-11 hours of soaking with Citristrip and scrubbing with a tooth brush. I'm bamboozled and perplexed.

The 56 degree is reacting a little better to it.

lZ3N6VVh.jpg

But still, at this rate, it would take me about 5 days & nights of waiting to get it fully clean. I must be really dumb, because I haven't read about anyone else having such an issue.

I don't know what to say. This is what I've been osing on on most everything I've done for the last year plus:

https://www.grainger.com/product/4YLF6?gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5kp4J-9mZBKdS_1I5I0RHGeg2ch_J_4LiCi8RVA_eqihoC85zw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Paint%2C%20Equipment%20and%20Supplies-_-Specialty%20Paints%2C%20Coatings%2C%20and%20Additives-_-4YLF6&AL!2966!3!56558784717!!!g!104636344677!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!56558784717!!!g!104636344677!&ef_id=UcJxIAAAANqzLtwR:20170407162234:s

It's always worked, maybe not after first try. But...you spray it on, come back after 20 minutes and got at it with a brush of some sort. I said tooth brush, and many times that has worked for me...occasionally I will use a steel/golf club brush to get at it a little quicker or stronger.

I'm sorry you haven't had results.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]