Dampening Vibration??

Sean2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing it would help, but you'd probably have to try it to find out how much. I have the same problem with tendinitis in my left/leading elbo and it can be VERY painful at times. I have iron sets with both and can't really tell a difference on the 'bo from graphite to steel. I can however tell a difference between hitting off mats and natural turf. I suck it up, medicate and play my steel shafts. Funny too as I have a set of PSI sitting here that I never installed.

I think they work great. Back when I practiced and played alot (aka: before I got married), I started having elbow pain. Installed ProSoft inserts and pain was alot better in a few weeks. As previously stated, if you are at the range try to hit off the grass if possible, the mats are pretty rough on the joints.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. I will go the PSI route first. I'm also going to put on the Lamkin REL 3Gen grips, which are supposed to have some vibration dampening properties as well.

As to the mats I purchased a mat from Country Club Elite. It comes in two pieces, one to stand on and one to hit off of. It's just like hitting of grass. It's very soft and is a real blessing to those of us with joint/tendon issues. I wouldn't be able to hit balls at all without this mat. It's extremely sturdy as well. It comes in a variety of sizes too. The two pieces are easy to take to the range.

If you are interested: http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1292878672' post='2850289']
I have elbow problems and the doc says I should go to graphite shafts. [b]Will something like ProSoft inserts and a vibration dampening grip reduce the vibration enough so I don't have to go to graphite shafts?[/b] I really don't like the feel of graphite shafts in irons.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Have an old shoulder (rotator cuff) injury and was able to get by with the use of Prosoft inserts, soft grips and low-comp balls for a couple of years. Eventually, however, was forced to bite the bullet and switch to graphite in the irons. It's nice being able to hit a bucket at the range and play 18 without feeling like I've been beat up! As always, YMMV.

I have elbow pain in both elbows. Pro softs help, but for me graphite has been the only thing to help. If you prefer steel in your irons I would try Aerotech 95's, Fuji Rombax 115i and Matrix program hd 130.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1292887078' post='2850535']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1292878672' post='2850289']
I have elbow problems and the doc says I should go to graphite shafts. [b]Will something like ProSoft inserts and a vibration dampening grip reduce the vibration enough so I don't have to go to graphite shafts?[/b] I really don't like the feel of graphite shafts in irons.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Have an old shoulder (rotator cuff) injury and was able to get by with the use of Prosoft inserts, soft grips and low-comp balls for a couple of years. Eventually, however, was forced to bite the bullet and switch to graphite in the irons. It's nice being able to hit a bucket at the range and play 18 without feeling like I've been beat up! As always, YMMV.
[/quote]
I will try this first before going to graphite. :-)

[quote name='poppman2142' timestamp='1292887612' post='2850553']
I have elbow pain in both elbows. Pro softs help, but for me graphite has been the only thing to help. If you prefer steel in your irons I would try Aerotech 95's, Fuji Rombax 115i and Matrix program hd 130.
[/quote]
Thanks for the graphite shafts recommendations. I hope the PSI and grips will take of the problem first!

The prosofts are certainly cheap enough to try. Doweling alone or with the inserts will also help with the vibrations. Couple that with the right grip and it could help out enough for you. A guy in my normal foursome (he's pushing 70) still uses steel even though the doc recommended graphite to help with his elbow problems. He's a low handicap guy and doesn't like graphite, much like you. I built him a new set of irons at his request. We ended up going with forged cavities (for their softer feel), DG lites in stiff with prosofts, dowels, and the Lamkin grips yours looking at. He said he hasn't felt better in years, and he's taking money just as much as before (we usually spread it out winning, somehow, and what you lose you eventually end up winning back a week or two later). He's won a little more frequently than before but not a staggering amount. They do get on me, though, for building the clubs and his win percentage going up a tad. But hey, I love playing with him and the new clubs make the game more enjoyable for him.

Conversely, another guy at the course tried a similar approach for tendonitas and the inserts weren't enough to help his pain enough. He ended up pretty much having to switch to graphite. Ended up going with VS Proto iron shafts. He actually picked up distance(not much, he says half a club) after getting used to them. That said, the most important thing is the pain was gone and he enjoys it more now.

Guess it just depends on the person. I'd certainly try the inserts first cause it's the cheaper option.

• 10 years later...

I'm in the same situation.  Does anyone know the efficacy of pro softs versus the Cushin inserts that Ping uses?

I'm torn between trying to find a solution with my current shafts and biting the bullet on graphite. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

19 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

I'm in the same situation.  Does anyone know the efficacy of pro softs versus the Cushin inserts that Ping uses?

I'm torn between trying to find a solution with my current shafts and biting the bullet on graphite. 

10 year old thread my friend...

Anyway, aside from some minor differences, vibration dampening is vibration dampening.  I have prosoft inserts installed in some steel shafted iron sets. It helps, but is not the same as graphite.  That said, while my graphite shafted iron sets are easier on my joints, I just can’t get locked in with them on a consistent basis, so I am back in steel for the time being. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

21 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

10 year old thread my friend...

Anyway, aside from some minor differences, vibration dampening is vibration dampening.  I have prosoft inserts installed in some steel shafted iron sets. It helps, but is not the same as graphite.  That said, while my graphite shafted iron sets are easier on my joints, I just can’t get locked in with them on a consistent basis, so I am back in steel for the time being. YMMV.

LOL.  I read it as December 20, 2020 instead of 2010.  I guess we are still struggling with the same issues. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Update to my post from 10 years ago! Shimada steel shafts and oban steel shafts are two that do not hurt my elbow’s and feel amazing even compared to Nippon.  But there are a lot of graphite shafts that are really good these days like the MMT and diamana thump. 

Edited by poppman2142

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

1 hour ago, NorthStar7 said:

LOL.  I read it as December 20, 2020 instead of 2010.  I guess we are still struggling with the same issues. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ha, all good.  Vibration dampening is still totally relevant.  Now, if you were asking for input on the Ping G5 driver or something like that, then that’s another story, lol.

Anyway, for those of us getting up in the years and with some creaky joints, this is top of mind.  I still own sets of irons with Steelfiber 95 and 110, and Recoil 95, so real premium shafts.  And those are in fact great shafts, that I can play well with.  But something seems off for me with the overall consistency, and I seem to come back to steel pretty often.  And I don’t really try to come back to steel without vibration dampening.  Every time I have re-gripped one of my sets with steel shafts, I have thrown in prosoft inserts, which are very cheap and easy to install.  Good luck. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

2 hours ago, poppman2142 said:

Update to my post from 10 years ago! Shimada steel shafts and oban steel shafts are two that do not hurt my elbow’s and feel amazing even compared to Nippon.  But there are a lot of graphite shafts that are really good these days like the MMT and diamana thump. 

Ha...that’s what you call a long term review!  We should start a series like “Up Series” to check in with golfers every 7 years. I think the “49 Up” edition could focus on pain and graphite shaft deliberations. 

I found a set of AP2s on the bay in great shape for cheap with SteelFiber i95 stiff to try out. I won’t be able to hit them for a while but the feel is decent with little pitch shots in the house. They could work. I have hit the SF 110cf before and hated them. 

I really like my Modus 120S shafts, so I don’t want to switch...which is why I am thinking about trying inserts, grips, etc.  It may be best to just bite the bullet and get fit and try to find a similar bend profile for graphite and not look back.

Edited by NorthStar7
Spelling

Sean, If you can,  try a Steelfiber shaft side by side with the irons you have with the inserts.  Saved me from stopping golf nine years ago with basal arthritis. Still playing the same Miuras since that fitting. I tried hitting some Ping irons with the stock graphite last year and they just felt so loose compared to my light (74g) steelfibre ones.

Of course another "fix" is just to rest your elbow for a while from golf, especially in the winter cold, but we both know that's not gonna happen!  Do try a Band It elbow brace though if you haven't already implemented that.

I went from KBS Tour 120’s to UST Recoil 110’s a couple of years ago because of tendinitis in my elbow.  Found the switch to be seamless for me.

I was concerned the Recoils would launch too high, but this hasn’t been an issue at all.  Dispersion has been the same as steel.

I would encourage anyone with these issues to see a fitter and try the different graphite options available (there are many).

Titleist TSi2 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TS3 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Yonex ezone CB 501 MCC MMT 105S
54* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S
58* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5