2024 Cognizant Classic WITB Pics ×

Moon Palace in Cancun

tigerfan23

Who has golfed here?
Going on my annual end of winter golf trip that usually ends up in myrtle beach or miami area but we wanted to try something different this year.
We booked Moon Palace in Cancun

4 nights
unlimited golf (Tee times currently setup for 36 a day, I'll likely do more!)

Drinks / Food inc.

It' VERY expensive ($1700) for each person for only 4 nights but I've heard it's a nice place with great food. I don't eat when I golf and I don't drink too much so really I'm only concerned about the golf!! How's the course??

2024 Bag TBD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw some of the course in 2003 when I got married, we honeymooned there. The best I can remember it was pretty nice, but I think it was a young course back then. The food was great with lots of choices. I know you will be pleased from a resort standpoint! I hope the same from a golfing standpoint, good luck!

My girlfriends parents got a time-share at those resorts for '11. They went to Moon Palace this past fall and said it was awesome. Resort sounds/looks amazing from the pics I saw and her dad played the course but I didn't get much feedback about it. Might get to make one of the trips with them this spring so I'm looking forward to playing it as well. Let me know how you like it if you get there before I do

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

Its a mexican golf course. If you have played one they are not the conditions you are used to. Don't get me wrong they are fine, but nothing special and overpriced.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60S

3 Wood??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PW DG 120 Stiff

Vokey SM10 50.08F DG120 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54.10S  & 58.08M DG AMT White Stiff

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1294020012' post='2871905']
Its a mexican golf course. If you have played one they are not the conditions you are used to. Don't get me wrong they are fine, but nothing special and overpriced.

[/quote]

shoot that sucks. That's where were headed 100%, just paid for it.
I heard it was great. Did you play there OD?

2024 Bag TBD

Ummm excuse me odshot, but what golf course did you play?? Moon Palace is a good layout. If i remember, slope was up at 73.5 from the tips. Good greens, and a good challenge. Don't know how its recovered from the hurricane damage, though When i asked the locals if it was worth the ride to playacar? they said no. If you are a stick, get in the "workers" skins game during the week.

You should know that the unlimited golf is a deal. My father inlaw has that with his timeshare. I played with a Dentist from Serrano country club in sacramento, he had to pay $ 125 per round ontop of his timeshare (that was 6 years ago).

You should be fine. Oh yeah... don't forget to order the chi chi's pool side. Pina colada with absolut instead of rum, roll an extra shot on top with some cherry... perfection!!

Just finished 36 holes at moon palace today!! it was awesome.but way overpriced..great conditions, a bit slow as there quite a few people playing who were staying at the resort...started first nine at 6.30, finished nine at 7.45...then started second nine (there are three nine holes that they get you out on) and then finished 18 at 10am...(2h15)...then played second 18 starting at 1030 and finished at 3pm...slow by our standards...lots of racoon looking animals on the course that eat all the food out of your golf cart...even taking unopening soda cans! but overall, a little disorganized but conditions very good...rates are better if you have a golf passport which gives you 30% off your green fees...I am actually gonna put my two golf passport cards on sale on BST...it's $40 each, and am selling them for $20 each with free shipping..let me know if you are interested..
attached are some photos...

crocodile

[attachment=712679:photo 1.JPG]

iguana

[attachment=712683:photo 2.JPG]

racoon type animal...forgot local name.
[attachment=712684:photo 3.JPG]

[quote name='raidernut1234' timestamp='1295135781' post='2899208']
Ummm excuse me odshot, but what golf course did you play?? Moon Palace is a good layout. If i remember, slope was up at 73.5 from the tips. Good greens, and a good challenge. Don't know how its recovered from the hurricane damage, though When i asked the locals if it was worth the ride to playacar? they said no. If you are a stick, get in the "workers" skins game during the week.

You should know that the unlimited golf is a deal. My father inlaw has that with his timeshare. I played with a Dentist from Serrano country club in sacramento, he had to pay $ 125 per round ontop of his timeshare (that was 6 years ago).

You should be fine. Oh yeah... don't forget to order the chi chi's pool side. Pina colada with absolut instead of rum, roll an extra shot on top with some cherry... perfection!!
[/quote]

Awesome thank you. Nothing like Pina Colada's on vaca!!!

[quote name='ericft' timestamp='1295135889' post='2899217']
Just finished 36 holes at moon palace today!! it was awesome.but way overpriced..great conditions, a bit slow as there quite a few people playing who were staying at the resort...started first nine at 6.30, finished nine at 7.45...then started second nine (there are three nine holes that they get you out on) and then finished 18 at 10am...(2h15)...then played second 18 starting at 1030 and finished at 3pm...slow by our standards...lots of racoon looking animals on the course that eat all the food out of your golf cart...even taking unopening soda cans! but overall, a little disorganized but conditions very good...rates are better if you have a golf passport which gives you 30% off your green fees...I am actually gonna put my two golf passport cards on sale on BST...it's $40 each, and am selling them for $20 each with free shipping..let me know if you are interested..
attached are some photos...

crocodile
[/quote]

Booked the unlimited golf package - have 27 booked a day (old guys can't play any more!), I'll stay and play another 9 or 18.

I'm so excited man.

p.s. thanks for the photos but they aren't very good!

lol

2024 Bag TBD

I know you've got unlimited golf at Moon Palace, but if you have a day to get away, you should go down the coast to the Mayakoba complex and play the course down there. It's where the PGA Tour event in February every year is played at, and is a Greg Norman design that has a lot of variety in it. I really enjoyed it when I played there a few years ago, the greens were in amazing shape.

Article about Mayakoba: http://www.worldgolf.com/resort-reviews/fairmont-mayakoba-resort-riviera-maya-mexico-11081.htm
2 articles about golf at Moon Palace: http://www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews/mexico/dunes-moon-palace-golf-club-1292.htm
http://www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews/mexico/moon-palace-golf-course.htm

[quote name='GoHawks' timestamp='1295278600' post='2903002']
I will be in Cancun in a couple of weeks and I am staying at a Palace Resort and I am also planning on playing the other Nicklaus Course Riviera Cancun. Has anyone played that course that has been down there recently? I also plan to play all 27 at Moon Palace and thanks for the replies about the Moon Palace courses.
[/quote]

also played 2 rounds at riviera cancun when i was there last week...pretty good shape, no complaints..but golf is really overpriced down there...make sure you have the golf passport as it gives you 30% discounts on the green fees( except twilight and junior fees). I have two of them that I would love to let go off for a nominal fee. PM me if you are interested.

It very nice and in great shape... 3- 9 hole courses in one setup. I played the 27 about a month ago in one day. Jack Nicklaus design. If I am not mistaken they are the jungle, links and dunes. Some very pretty holes that you will remember for a long time. High end facility

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1293980898' post='2870646']
Going on my annual end of winter golf trip that usually ends up in myrtle beach or miami area but we wanted to try something different this year.
We booked Moon Palace in Cancun

4 nights
unlimited golf (Tee times currently setup for 36 a day, I'll likely do more!)

Drinks / Food inc.

It' VERY expensive ($1700) for each person for only 4 nights but I've heard it's a nice place with great food. I don't eat when I golf and I don't drink too much so really I'm only concerned about the golf!! How's the course??
[/quote]

That golf pass that the guy mentions earlier is apparently in the garbage already. I tried to get one last week but someone forgot to ask permission for the logos etc from some of the courses before spending all the money and they have been removed from the clubs...........The PGA logo did not like being shown on a billboard without permission I guess...

You get your golf free at Moon Palace so its great. As for the condition, the pros think the courses here are as good or better than any they play. I carried the first year of the tour here for a nationwide player in the group with Schnedeker and Hinkle . They seem to know what they like.
The guy who mentions that they are not as good as the US courses must have made the comment after the all inclusive option...............
enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

Did not get a chance to play Moon Palace on my recent visit to Cancun however I did play Riviera Cancun 3 times and it was enjoyable all three times. I think what needs to be understood when people say it is golf in Mexico is that in this area you are not getting the same soils that grow perfect grass and provide immaculate conditions that you get for a $200 in the US. With that being said the greens at Riviera Cancun were in great shape which is something to appreciate and also the course was maintained fairly. It was never busy and since I was there playing as a single and not with a group they would get you out on whichever 9 they thought would help you play the fastest with the least amount of traffic. I played all 3 times in under 3 hours which is something I value when being on vacation.

For the actual golf course the front 9 is a warm up 9 for the challenges you face on the back 9. I would say that the back 9 at Riviera Cancun is 6 shots harder then the front. I am about a 10 handicap and think of myself as an ok player and I was challenged on several holes on the back 9. Bring balls as their is little room for error on the back 9 and the ground is firm and the ball will run.

All in all it was enjoyable and I would have liked to have played Mayakoba which I have heard wonderful things about but since all of this golf was included with my stay I chose to play where it was free.

Try Cozumel next time. Playa Azul hotel or golf package at the Melia. We have done it for 9 years now and still love it! With the inclusive golf package, you pay $30 per person for the cart and can play as many rounds as you want. Take lots of balls cause you can't find your misses. Rooms at the Playa Azul are around $200 a night, less in a package with air, our week for 2 golfers was about $1800 with air.

• 2 weeks later...

I played one of the Moon Palace course about 5 years ago. I thought it was very nice and scenic. The resort is very large and the pools are huge. One of the best resorts I have stayed at. If you got unlimited golf included in your package for that price, you got a good deal. Hit them well and enjoy the views. The only thing I didn't like about the Moon Palace course was that there was no ocean holes or ocean views. Unless they have changed it and added more since I went.