Cobra ZL

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great driver. Really improved my ability to hit fairways. And, it is long, looks good and sounds good. Recommend highly.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

• 2 months later...

So far I love this driver. It has a nice solid feel and sound to it, very unlike previous Cobra models. Kind of reminds me of the sound an feel of the 905R. Just solid! It is very forgiving, but I have a tendency to launch this thing WAY to high. I have not tried any other shafts other than the stock Voodoo in stiff flex, and that may be the problem. My SS is right around 105-106 with a harder transition. I currently have the 9.5 loft and I am playing it in the open position. It is giving me a better ball flight and helping in eliminating the dreaded hook.

Anyone out there have any experiences with different shafts with this head other than the stock Voodoo. I have an extra sleeve and I want to try something else. Currently I have a brand new UST V2 Tour Flight shaft I am thinking of trying, but wanted to know if anyone has tried out the UST Axivcore series, Diamana BBs, the real Aldila Voodoo, or the RIP in this head and what your results were. I am also going to take it down to 45" from the standard 46" length. Right now Cobra lists the driver at a standard weight of D4. Will going 1" shorter, but a heavier shaft help maintain the swing weight? It has a 10g heel weight in it right now.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

I have the Tour AD YSQ 75S in mine and love it!!!! Also playing it at 45". Mid-high flight but penetrating. Most of that is my swing though!!

Cobra King F9 Driver Cobra King F9 3 fwy Mizuno CLK 19* Mizuno 919 HM 4-6 PX 5.5 Mizuno 919 Forged 7-GW PX 5.5 Vokey 54*/8, 58*/14 Odyssey Fang 2 Ball Bridgestone Tour B XS

[quote name='rickpal14' timestamp='1305055345' post='3222797']
I have the Tour AD YSQ 75S in mine and love it!!!! Also playing it at 45". Mid-high flight but penetrating. Most of that is my swing though!!
[/quote]

I bought this driver in 9.5* with stock Voodoo. Launch was way too high not matter how I hit it. Put in Project X 7C3 (S/XS) and it is a monster. Easy swings carry 260, push it and it goes 285 straight down the fairway. Played 9 last night-7 fairways just left of center (other 2 were Par 3's).

• 1 month later...

since GG and big box stores discounted these to 199.99 i bought 3 more. so now i have a very beat up 10.5 head, 2 10.5 back ups and an 11.5 with i think 5 upgrad shafts. out of everything ive tried nothing can compete with the ZL. i have a 910 D2 that im hitting well(even hitting the middle of the 910 a lot more than the cobra but the ZL is still 10 yards longer) the ZL is a beast. the muted sound is awsome. you know when you hit one in the middle. i wouldnt compare it to a mizzy iron flush but when you flush the ZL you surely know it.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

Thinking of putting a Fubuki Tour 63 or a Blue Board 63 in my extra adapter. Anyone have any experience with either of these shafts in the ZL? I would have them at 45" playing length.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

picked this driver up for 150 in really good condition. first time on the course hit a drive 290 yrds dead straight and another one 310 yds slight downhill. feels very nice is impact and very easy to hit. off center hits still fly off the face and stay pretty straight. This driver is very easy to hit. in the past ive only used TM drivers and alot of them feel like your hitting rocks but not this club. Had a TM superquad before this and could never hit it straight. also demo the burner 2.0 TP and hated how it felt at impact and didnt like the shape. the ZL has almost like a traditional pear shaped head, but for someone who only used the pear style heads this head is easy to get used too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chachi1984' timestamp='1309695009' post='3360907']
picked this driver up for 150 in really good condition. first time on the course hit a drive 290 yrds dead straight and another one 310 yds slight downhill. feels very nice is impact and very easy to hit. off center hits still fly off the face and stay pretty straight. This driver is very easy to hit. in the past ive only used TM drivers and alot of them feel like your hitting rocks but not this club. Had a TM superquad before this and could never hit it straight. also demo the burner 2.0 TP and hated how it felt at impact and didnt like the shape. the ZL has almost like a traditional pear shaped head, but for someone who only used the pear style heads this head is easy to get used too.
[/quote]

I have the newer version of the superquad the superdeep also can't hit it well thinking of going to this driver! Love the shape of it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='RobStAndrews' timestamp='1305225979' post='3228476']
[quote name='rickpal14' timestamp='1305055345' post='3222797']
[/quote]

I bought this driver in 9.5* with stock Voodoo. Launch was way too high not matter how I hit it. Put in Project X 7C3 (S/XS) and it is a monster. Easy swings carry 260, push it and it goes 285 straight down the fairway. Played 9 last night-7 fairways just left of center (other 2 were Par 3's).
[/quote]

i used this driver for the 1st time today and noticed the high launch, im am thinking of replacing the shaft as well.

but all in all this is a great driver. i upgraded to this from a 2009 taylormade burner and the difference is night and day.

my misses are not as bad as they used to be with the TM and i am actually hitting the ball a lot straighter and longer with consistancey now, something i could not do with the tm ... picked this up brand new for 159 at GS friends and family sale... my only regret is that i didnt buy 3

great club

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought a Cobra ZL used from PGA Superstore for $85 with the stock Voodoo stiff after hitting a number of drivers into their net. Been playing a 9015D with a Saber Tour Vector stiff at 44.5" for the last two years. My swing speed averages about 105.

I recently changed my swing to hit a small fade with every club, so I had started to loose too many balls to the right with the 9015D.

I cut the ZL down to 45" and set the head to neutral, which eliminated the leaks, and I picked up at least 10 yards in distance over the 9015D. I don't feel like I'm overpowering this shaft at all and am impressed with the forgiveness and feel of this driver. Really, really glad I bought it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally picked up a 9.5 ZL off the Bay because I didn't really care for the S3 after a year of using it. I have both the stock Stiff Voodoo and Stiff Graffaloy Epic.

After a couple rounds with the ZL, I think it's a much better driver than the S3. The launch angle is a little higher than the S3, but that's something I prefer. I'm a big fan of carbon drivers and really like the feel at impact. Distance is great...a tad longer than my S3. I wouldn't say either of these super forgiving, but the ZL is a little easier to control. I'll give this one a full years test, but I think I found a winner.