Gary Woodland WITB photos & video - GolfWRX style

pga43

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HCEG1' timestamp='1303939174' post='3191226']
All I've heard is how GW crushes it, yet he's averaging less than 301 yards, according to the PGA Tour driving distance stats

Also, we saw him alongside Tiger at Bay Hill-again-if I recall correctly, he averaged something like 296 for the week

Anyone have any hard data to support the hyperbole?
[/quote]

The Tour only uses two holes (usually they try to get one into the wind and one downwind where the players will hit drivers) to measure driving distance. A lot of the pros don't always hit driver on the holes they measure. Drives also must be in the fairway to count.

My very educated guess is that Gary doesn't hit driver on every hole that is used for measuring.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1303939893' post='3191268']
All I've heard is how GW crushes it, yet he's averaging less than 301 yards, according to the PGA Tour driving distance stats

Also, we saw him alongside Tiger at Bay Hill-again-if I recall correctly, he averaged something like 296 for the week

[/quote]

The Tour only uses two holes (usually they try to get one into the wind and one downwind where the players will hit drivers) to measure driving distance. A lot of the pros don't always hit driver on the holes they measure. Drives also must be in the fairway to count.

My very educated guess is that Gary doesn't hit driver on every hole that is used for measuring.

Greg
[/quote]

Sorry, but I don't buy that

Yes, they choose 2 holes in opposite directions, but they are holes where the players are [i]almost certain[/i] to hit driver-and often there is no, or v, little wind

If someone was a real long drive phenomenon, wouldn't he still be averaging somewhere around 340-at least?

[quote name='HCEG1' timestamp='1303940509' post='3191292']

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

Yes, they choose 2 holes in opposite directions, but they are holes where the players are [i]almost certain[/i] to hit driver-and often there is no, or v, little wind

If someone was a real long drive phenomenon, wouldn't he still be averaging somewhere around 340-at least?
[/quote]

He's probably right... Why do you think he carries a 2 iron? He's accurate with it and hits fairways and can smash the 2 iron. His 3 wood is probably as long if not longer than most guys' driver too.

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

Numbers don't always give you the whole story. If you get a chance you should just watch him play sometime. It is an impressive sight.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

I live in Topeka, Gary's hometown. I get to read a lot of good interviews and stories.

He said he usually only hits driver 4-5 times a round and maybe 6 if the wind is into him.

I play with a lot of the Washburn team, some of whom played with him when he was here for a year before KU. He abuses the ball.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why ask for an opinion if you are going to immediately shoot it down? Did you watch Thursday and Friday of The Masters? He played with Vegas and Quiros... Woodland and Quiros were routinely 20+ by Vegas all day and he hits it pretty well himself. I saw a few drives in a row on the back 9 and Woodland was slightly by Quiros on all of them and everyone agrees he flat out smashes it. Also if you see him play much he tees it very low and plays a lot of left to right shots...not ideal for optimizing the driver. But at 180 ball speed you don't need optimal to get it out there if that's how you're comfortable hitting fairways. Woodland's average ball speed on tour this year 182 mph with a max of 188 and a low of 170...which I'm guessing was a 3 wood. He's also 142nd in launch angle on tour averaging lower than 10 degrees of launch. Bottom line, the guy smashes it.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1303961196' post='3192271']

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Why ask for an opinion if you are going to immediately shoot it down?[/b] [b]Did you watch Thursday[/b] [b]and Friday of The Masters?[/b] He played with Vegas and Quiros... Woodland and Quiros were routinely 20+ by Vegas all day and he hits it pretty well himself. I saw a few drives in a row on the back 9 and Woodland was slightly by Quiros on all of them and everyone agrees he flat out smashes it. Also if you see him play much he tees it very low and plays a lot of left to right shots...not ideal for optimizing the driver. But at 180 ball speed you don't need optimal to get it out there if that's how you're comfortable hitting fairways. Woodland's average ball speed on tour this year 182 mph with a max of 188 and a low of 170...which I'm guessing was a 3 wood. He's also 142nd in launch angle on tour averaging lower than 10 degrees of launch. Bottom line, the guy smashes it.
[/quote]

I haven't shot anything down. Just waiting for some hard evidence instead of hearsay

Did I watch Thursday & Friday of the Masters? Does a one-legged duck swim round in circles?

From the official Masters stats:

Thursday: G. Woodland 296 Yards

Friday: G. Woodland 292.5 yards

http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/drives_avg.html

He was probably just hitting knock-down 4 irons on the measuring holes

If a guy's truly a [b]massive[/b] hitter his stats will (eventually) back it up. I don't know how many times I need to explain that the 2 holes used for measuring are long, wide open holes where it would be [i]highly[/i] [i]unlikely[/i] that a player would hit anything but driver

I'll probably get to see him myself this summer at Royal St Georges (& maybe Castle Stuart.) If he's as long as people are saying, he'll be getting some out near 400 yards with all the roll we get over here in summer

I forgot to add, I remember all the talk before Bay Hill that Tiger would be 60-70 yards behind him. Reality is that the [i]injured[/i] Tiger pretty much got it out there with him & DJ on the drives that he managed to get (somewhere near) straight

[quote name='HCEG1' timestamp='1303971139' post='3192564']
[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1303961196' post='3192271']

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Why ask for an opinion if you are going to immediately shoot it down?[/b] [b]Did you watch Thursday[/b] [b]and Friday of The Masters?[/b] He played with Vegas and Quiros... Woodland and Quiros were routinely 20+ by Vegas all day and he hits it pretty well himself. I saw a few drives in a row on the back 9 and Woodland was slightly by Quiros on all of them and everyone agrees he flat out smashes it. Also if you see him play much he tees it very low and plays a lot of left to right shots...not ideal for optimizing the driver. But at 180 ball speed you don't need optimal to get it out there if that's how you're comfortable hitting fairways. Woodland's average ball speed on tour this year 182 mph with a max of 188 and a low of 170...which I'm guessing was a 3 wood. He's also 142nd in launch angle on tour averaging lower than 10 degrees of launch. Bottom line, the guy smashes it.
[/quote]

I haven't shot anything down. Just waiting for some hard evidence instead of hearsay

Did I watch Thursday & Friday of the Masters? Does a one-legged duck swim round in circles?

From the official Masters stats:

Thursday: G. Woodland 296 Yards

Friday: G. Woodland 292.5 yards

[url="http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/drives_avg.html"]http://www.masters.c...drives_avg.html[/url]

He was probably just hitting knock-down 4 irons on the measuring holes

If a guy's truly a [b]massive[/b] hitter his stats will (eventually) back it up. I don't know how many times I need to explain that the 2 holes used for measuring are long, wide open holes where it would be [i]highly[/i] [i]unlikely[/i] that a player would hit anything but driver

I'll probably get to see him myself this summer at Royal St Georges (& maybe Castle Stuart.) If he's as long as people are saying, he'll be getting some out near 400 yards with all the roll we get over here in summer

I forgot to add, I remember all the talk before Bay Hill that Tiger would be 60-70 yards behind him. Reality is that the [i]injured[/i] Tiger pretty much got it out there with him & DJ on the drives that he managed to get (somewhere near) straight
[/quote]

So by using your logic and the numbers for the Masters, Quiros does not hit it massive either because his average was only 303. You are taking the numbers as the only information and creating your opinion without getting some of the more pertinent information. i.e. CLUB used.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

So by using your logic and the numbers for the Masters, Quiros does not hit it massive either because his average was only 303. You are taking the numbers as the only information and creating your opinion without getting some of the more pertinent information. i.e. CLUB used.
[/quote]

I'm just having a bit of fun, trying to wind Dizz up a little...

Out of interest, where didn't GW hit driver? Maybe 3, 10, 13 & 15. (No way #3 is used as a measuring hole) # 10 gives sick run out and the rest give up 40+ yards. Even if he hit 3 wood on all of those, the distances are nothing to get excited about

Anyway, the best way to judge him is to see him in person, which I'll do in the summer. Be interesting to see how he really stacks up

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but you a clueless when it comes to the type of holes that they use on the PGA Tour. While yes they try to use a hole that maybe a bit wide to get players to hit driver, that doesn't mean the hole will be wide open and where the players are almost certain to hit driver. If the golf course is tight already, the wide open hole isn't going to be that wide open. There may be bunkers or the fairway may pinch in out at the 300+ landing area. If the wind is blowing (like it did/does at Augusta), it's not like it will stop on the holes they measure.

Gary doesn't hit a lot of drivers cuz he doesn't need to. See what his stats were at the Transitions, where he won. He's not interested in just being known as a long ball hitter (this isn't the ReMax Long Drive tour) but as a PGA Tour winner. Something that he accomplished this year. He may not hit many drivers in The Open Championship either (remember Tigers win where he hit mainly 2 - 3 irons off the tee).

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1304010024' post='3193486']

[/quote]

Greg
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Sorry but you a clueless when it comes to the type of holes that they use on the PGA Tour.[/b] While yes they try to use a hole that maybe a bit wide to get players to hit driver, that doesn't mean the hole will be wide open and where the players are almost certain to hit driver. If the golf course is tight already, the wide open hole isn't going to be that wide open. There may be bunkers or the fairway may pinch in out at the 300+ landing area. If the wind is blowing (like it did/does at Augusta), it's not like it will stop on the holes they measure.

Gary doesn't hit a lot of drivers cuz he doesn't need to. See what his stats were at the Transitions, where he won. He's not interested in just being known as a long ball hitter (this isn't the ReMax Long Drive tour) but as a PGA Tour winner. Something that he accomplished this year. He may not hit many drivers in The Open Championship either (remember Tigers win where he hit mainly 2 - 3 irons off the tee).

Greg
[/quote]

I've been involved in measuring drives in the Dubai Desert Classic three times and the Abu Dhabi Open twice

Where does your superior information come from?

Tiger hit his 2 iron at Hoylake because it was held in a windless heatwave. When it blows he has to hit driver, which is why he's never contended in an Open with any kind of wind.

We all remember him around here shooting 81 at Muirfield in '02

Greg

Yes, they choose 2 holes in opposite directions, but they are holes where the players are almost certain to hit driver-and often there is no, or v, little wind

Sorry but you a clueless when it comes to the type of holes that they use on the PGA Tour. While yes they try to use a hole that maybe a bit wide to get players to hit driver, that doesn't mean the hole will be wide open and where the players are almost certain to hit driver. If the golf course is tight already, the wide open hole isn't going to be that wide open. There may be bunkers or the fairway may pinch in out at the 300+ landing area. If the wind is blowing (like it did/does at Augusta), it's not like it will stop on the holes they measure.

Greg

I've been involved in measuring drives in the Dubai Desert Classic three times and the Abu Dhabi Open twice

Tiger hit his 2 iron at Hoylake because it was held in a windless heatwave. When it blows he has to hit driver, which is why he's never contended in an Open with any kind of wind.

Well since I covered 26 PGA Tour events last year (17 in 2009 and 10 already this year) and see which holes the Tour officials select each tournament firsthand. Then watching how the players play them in their practice rounds leads me to believe I might know a bit more about how the players do things on the PGA Tour when it comes to playing the driving distance measured holes.

And since Gary Woodland is a PGA Tour member and we are discussing Gary's driving distance (or in your case, his lack of driving distance), I'd say I may have a bit know knowledge on the matter than your self admitted limited experience from 5 European Tour events, which Gary didn't play in.good.gif

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Well since I covered 26 PGA Tour events last year (17 in 2009 and 10 already this year) and see which holes the Tour officials select each tournament firsthand. Then watching how the players play them in their practice rounds leads me to believe I might know a bit more about how the players do things on the PGA Tour when it comes to playing the driving distance measured holes.

And since Gary Woodland is a PGA Tour member and we are discussing Gary's driving distance (or in your case, his lack of driving distance), I'd say I may have a bit know knowledge on the matter than your self admitted limited experience from 5 European Tour events, which Gary didn't play in.good.gif

Greg

Well, seems like we're both pretty well informed

Would you know which 2 holes they use at Augusta and if so, would you be good enough to share this info with the membership? I recall it has come up previously and no one seemed to know the answer

Thanks in advance

[quote name='HCEG1' timestamp='1304013327' post='3193642']

Well, seems like we're both pretty well informed

Would you know which 2 holes they use at Augusta and if so, would you be good enough to share this info with the membership? I recall it has come up previously and no one seemed to know the answer

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

The Masters is not a PGA Tour event and I do not believe they put marks out on the edge of the fairways like they use on the PGA Tour, so not sure.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the video again.

Surprised me to hear him say that he is playing the 09' ProV1, not a ProV1x.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bvmiller8244' timestamp='1305987031' post='3251772']
What does rock chalk mean?
[/quote]

It is the chant that the fans do at Kansas basketball games when the game is in hand. Rock... Chalk..... Jayhawk.... KU...
Woodland played basketball for a year at a DII school here in Kansas and then transfered to KU to play golf.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

[quote name='cbcrews' timestamp='1305250324' post='3229482']
[quote name='justinp766' timestamp='1305187902' post='3226976']
Is that lead tape on his Two iron?? what is that?
[/quote]
Titleist 503i driving iron tour only they say he's one of something like three players who use it the shaft is stupid stiff
[/quote]

It's just a CB 2 iron. The 503i's are a muscle back design.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw that too, he hit 3 wood when Bubba and Phil hit driver. 117mph swing speed and 170+ ball speed, 279 carry with a 3 wood, and he sure didn't look like he was going after it....crazy.

Taylormade M3 460 9.5*, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60x
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* and 18*, Aldila Voodoo SNV8
Ping i210 4-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54WS, 58ES, DG S400 TI onyx
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212516-dsparobs-2015-bag/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...arobs-2015-bag/[/url]

[quote name='bunkerputt' timestamp='1307739875' post='3298910']
Dude's got my driver shaft! Love that thing. So much control for strong swingers. You can just hammer the ball and it stays on line all day long. I bet his is tipped, though.. :hi:
[/quote]

You use R.I.P. 90x in your driver? Tour issue?

Mizuno ST190 G w/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
Mizuno ST190 TS 15 w/Accra TZ6 85 M5
Mizuno MP-20 3-Pw w/DG TI X100
Mizuno MP-20 Raw 56 & 60 w/DG TI S400
Artisan Custom 0117 35''
ProV1x