Kansas City Recommendation

jrnyman6

I was wanting to give you my suggestions, but I have only played a few courses, mostly south of KC. I was able to play Loch Lloyd a while back (south of KC on the Missouri side), and it was pretty great.

Sycamore Ridge was great and I really like Prairie Highlands. Hard to beat their prices IMO. Heard similar things about Golf Club of Kansas and Falcon Ridge.

I have been wanting to play Tiffany Greens. Heard good things.

[quote name='xXsnowXx' timestamp='1301072334' post='3087475']
I was wanting to give you my suggestions, but I have only played a few courses, mostly south of KC. I was able to play Loch Lloyd a while back (south of KC on the Missouri side), and it was pretty great.

Sycamore Ridge was great and I really like Prairie Highlands. Hard to beat their prices IMO. Heard similar things about Golf Club of Kansas and Falcon Ridge.

I have been wanting to play Tiffany Greens. Heard good things.
[/quote]

Last I heard Prairie Highlands is going downhill since their change in management...I would avoid it for a while.

Tiffany Greens is a nice course and they have kept it up very well, my office is a mile up the road and i'm on the range there about once a week when it's not snowing.

Shoal is definitely nice. If you want to hit the east side of the metro, Greg Norman's course Stone Canyon is a great course.

Love Sycamore Ridge. I like it down there because you get two different courses in one...front side is more of a links style and the back is a US Open type that's tucked into trees, etc. (unless they switched 9's again, then it's vice/versa)

Lion's Gate is another great course, but it's private.

Adams Pointe is another fun track...just beware of the afternoon blasting :-)

Dubs Dread is a KC icon. Thank Jugs for that one. Fun note on this course...they play a "monster mash" tourney every October. Stretch the course to over 8,200 yards. #11 turns into a 280 yard uphill, over water par 3. I'm gonna play this year if i'm in town.

If you only have one day, i'd go for The Golf Club of KS. Don't let the "clubhouse" fool you. The course is phenomenal.

The rest are all a toss up.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

Shoal Creek, Falcon Ridge, Prairie Highlands, Sycamore Ridge - all great choices.

But, if I was granted a single day play only I would go with Sycamore Ridge. The trek, fairways, and greens are all great but the thing that sets this apart is all the different looks it offers into the greens. Play it twice the same day from different tees and it will be as though you played a totally different course.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Shadow Glen, great track but pretty exclusive. Heard good things about Creekmoor and Club of KS but haven't had the privilege. Shoal Creek is a solid track if your north, Tiffany Greens is a fun layout but gets a lot of traffic. All the courses mentioned here are well priced and worth the travel time.

[quote name='aklfra' timestamp='1301114377' post='3089417']
Can't believe no one has mentioned Shadow Glen, great track but pretty exclusive. Heard good things about Creekmoor and Club of KS but haven't had the privilege. Shoal Creek is a solid track if your north, Tiffany Greens is a fun layout but gets a lot of traffic. All the courses mentioned here are well priced and worth the travel time.
[/quote]

I've been trying to get onto Shadow Glen for 5 years now...would LOVE to play that course but you gotta know the right people if you aren't a member.

I played Creekmoor last year and it's also a great course. It's more of an open/links style course, but it was very nice.

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

As others have said
Shoal Creek
Sycamore Ridge
Golf Club of KS
Tiffany
Falcon Ridge

Private if you have connections, Loch Lloyd, Shadow Glen, Lions Gate, Hallbrook and Wolf Creek are good choices

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1301165713' post='3090706']
As others have said
Shoal Creek
Sycamore Ridge
Golf Club of KS
Tiffany
Falcon Ridge

Private if you have connections, Loch Lloyd, Shadow Glen, Lions Gate, Hallbrook and Wolf Creek are good choices
[/quote]

I've heard awesome things about Hallbook and have tried to get onto Wolf Creek, but didn't have the right connections. Can you describe Wolf Creek a little bit...I'm curious.

[quote name='xXsnowXx' timestamp='1301180790' post='3091243']
As others have said
Shoal Creek
Sycamore Ridge
Golf Club of KS
Tiffany
Falcon Ridge

[/quote]

I've heard awesome things about Hallbook and have tried to get onto Wolf Creek, but didn't have the right connections. Can you describe Wolf Creek a little bit...I'm curious.
[/quote]
LOL, me too.....I have not played it yet, I know someone who might get me on, but I have had numerous people tell me it is great that is why I mentioned it, men only, no women on the premise, total guy hangout. Hallbrook has the toughest greens you will ever play.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1301181801' post='3091278']
Hallbrook and Shadow Glen are two of my favorite courses anywhere. A good friend just got back from The Golf Club of Kansas and said it was AWESOME.

Kevin
[/quote]

Kev if you are ever in the area we will have to hook up! The Golf Club of KS is pretty fun, built in an old rock quarry, LOL no clubhouse last time I was there just a shed, I guess they opened it in 2008 right when the economy hit the crapper and the membership drive was weak, so the public can play. Very unique course though, really fun to play.

Another course to look up is Hillcrest, it used to be private but membership is down, it's a Donald Ross design, very old school and hilly, not a level lie on the course, the greens are unbelievable when they are fast. Not long but a real shotmakers course, again I am not sure of the condition, last time I played it is was in okay shape, not as good as it was several years ago when private, but if you are a Ross fan it is worth checking our and reasonably priced. It's a tough track though if it is playing fast and the tee shots are rolling out, toughest to read greens in town IMO.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm what some others have said. Prairie Highlands is definitely going down hill. I just got back from playing there and it wasn't in very good shape. The tee boxes had some very uneven spots and the course was just pretty sketchy overall. They did, however, drop the price from the last time I played there. Last year, I paid about $98, but today we only paid $40 (including cart). Anyways...I just thought I would confirm what some others have said. It is still a decent course, but it has gone down a notch or so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my favorite so far in KC might be The National, followed by Golf Club of Kansas. golf club is one big visually dramatic hole after another, and it is fun to play. the national has it's share of drama (#9 tee is WAY WAY elevated right next to Watson's old home....or so someone told me....either way it's impressive), and is about the only modern course i've ever been on that's walkable....but hilly. it's a golf course first, it's not about stuffing as many houses in there as possible. the clubhouse is super impressive, and even though i've only been there once i walked off of it thinking "wow, that's the best course in KC" even though it was drizzly, windy, and only about 45 or 50 degrees out.

I do like Sycamore, but some of the holes are a little goofy as far as club selection goes (par 5 #9 for instance). and the two sides are so drastically different you might love one of them and could do without the other. i love the *links* layout of most of the front, but the target-golf back is only ok to me. totally personal preference though, and there are some cool holes on the back. i think it's #15 that's the big dramatic elevated par 5 that's really neat, and the risk-reward of i think #17 if you want to try and fly over the trees to leave ~50yds is also enjoyable. but that first par 5, number 11 i think, i could do without. hit a driver straight and you fly through the fairway and into the trees, a 3 wood will get you into a fairway bunker unless you draw it around the corner of a narrow fairway....blech.

i could do without creekmoor. i thought it was expensive for what it was (~$75) and it feels like they just took a big bulldozer to some plot of land, leveled the whole thing, then started moving dirt around. it doesn't feel natural to me at all, there is not one single tree around the whole place, and there just wasn't anything about it i thought was that great. of course maybe that's because i had just been on Pinehurst #2 the day before :)

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 2 months later...

Personally, I think the best courses in the Metro are in Kansas. Golf Digest ranks 5 of the 10 in Kansas in the Johnson County. None of the top 10 courses in MO are in the KC metro. Now that may be a little skewed because St. Louis and the Ozarks are competitors, but not one course is listed.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/kansas
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/missouri

So with that being said here are my top 3 private recommendations:

1. Shadow Glen, the Golf Club-- Classic Weiskopf/ Morrish design (with help of Tom Watson on greens and bunkers). Wide rolling zoysia fairways, thick bluegrass rough, and bent greens. Reachable par 5's and a reachable par 4 makes the player weigh risk and reward. The scenery is beautiful and it is not uncommon to see Deer, Turkey, Foxes and other wildlife as you stroll from tee to green. Absolute masterpiece.

2. Hallbrook Country Club-- Pete Dye. Enough said.

3 Milburn Country Club-- The only Traditional course in my rankings. Great piece of property.

Top 3 public recommendations:

1. Sycamore Ridge
2. Golf Club of KS
3. Tiffany Greens

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1301181946' post='3091284']
[quote name='xXsnowXx' timestamp='1301180790' post='3091243']
As others have said
Shoal Creek
Sycamore Ridge
Golf Club of KS
Tiffany
Falcon Ridge

[/quote]

[/quote]
LOL, me too.....I have not played it yet, I know someone who might get me on, but I have had numerous people tell me it is great that is why I mentioned it, men only, no women on the premise, total guy hangout. Hallbrook has the toughest greens you will ever play.
[/quote]

Played Wolf Creek today! Great track, superb condition, and very challenging. I am scratching my head a bit because I did not leave as impressed as I did the first time I played the courses in my aforementioned post. I cannot put my finger on what I did not love about it, because it is a really nice course. Maybe it was just the hype... I have been wanting to play it for so long that maybe I built it up to be more than it is.

[quote name='tnord' timestamp='1306793440' post='3273156']
my favorite so far in KC might be The National, followed by Golf Club of Kansas. golf club is one big visually dramatic hole after another, and it is fun to play. the national has it's share of drama (#9 tee is WAY WAY elevated right next to Watson's old home....or so someone told me....either way it's impressive), and is about the only modern course i've ever been on that's walkable....but hilly. it's a golf course first, it's not about stuffing as many houses in there as possible. the clubhouse is super impressive, and even though i've only been there once i walked off of it thinking "wow, that's the best course in KC" [size="3"][b][i]even though it was drizzly, windy, and only about 45 or 50 degrees out.[/i][/b][/size]

I do like Sycamore, but some of the holes are a little goofy as far as club selection goes (par 5 #9 for instance). and the two sides are so drastically different you might love one of them and could do without the other. i love the *links* layout of most of the front, but the target-golf back is only ok to me. totally personal preference though, and there are some cool holes on the back. i think it's #15 that's the big dramatic elevated par 5 that's really neat, and the risk-reward of i think #17 if you want to try and fly over the trees to leave ~50yds is also enjoyable. but that first par 5, number 11 i think, i could do without. hit a driver straight and you fly through the fairway and into the trees, a 3 wood will get you into a fairway bunker unless you draw it around the corner of a narrow fairway....blech.

i could do without creekmoor. i thought it was expensive for what it was (~$75) and it feels like they just took a big bulldozer to some plot of land, leveled the whole thing, then started moving dirt around. it doesn't feel natural to me at all, there is not one single tree around the whole place, and there just wasn't anything about it i thought was that great. of course maybe that's because i had just been on Pinehurst #2 the day before :)
[/quote]

Tnord, you must have been playing in the Battle of Attrition as well? I played it and that was the longest 36 holes I've played in a while.

To echo a couple comments above, the National, if you can get on, is awesome. I have a couple new connections through work and I can't wait till those start coming through.

I played Hillcrest about 2 months ago and it was in great shape...for a "public" course. Greens are slower than they used to be (i'd say a 9 on a good day) I don't like the opening hole (230ish downhill Par 3) but Mr. Ross definitely knows what he's doing :)

• 1 month later...

i got on loch lloyd last week, the new 9 they have done is really cool. the old 9 was pretty tight. conditions weren't that great, but i did enjoy it. combine the other 9 they're still working on with the 9 i played and i think it'll compete for best in KC.

doc holiday -

i did not play in the battle of attrition....though that sounds fun. :) is that a tournament this winter or something? i'm looking to maybe get started in some tournament golf.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

[quote name='tnord' timestamp='1317670142' post='3619741']
i got on loch lloyd last week, the new 9 they have done is really cool. the old 9 was pretty tight. conditions weren't that great, but i did enjoy it. combine the other 9 they're still working on with the 9 i played and i think it'll compete for best in KC.

doc holiday -

i did not play in the battle of attrition....though that sounds fun. :) is that a tournament this winter or something? i'm looking to maybe get started in some tournament golf.
[/quote]

It's a member-guest type tournament between members at The National and The National II (The Deuce). One of my friends is a member at the Deuce and asked me to play.

It's a pretty cool tournament, 36 hole 4man lowball and a Net Singles tourney, coupled with the typical skins game and too much Jack and Sprite :)

funny you mention jack and sprite....last time i was at the national we drank the cart girl out of jack. she went back to the clubhouse bar and brought us all back doubles.

i should not have driven home that night, but it was fun. :partytime2:

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 10 months later...

[quote name='Matsui' timestamp='1346183292' post='5550489']
Is the national public and do they have a clubhouse for lunch etc?
[/quote]

The National is not public, however The National II (The Deuce) is. The Deuce is a decent track, but nothing super special. Clubhouse there has the typical bar/grill fare.

i bet you're thinking of Golf Club of Kansas, but it's not a watson track.

only watson influenced courses i can think of in KC are the new 18 at Loch Lloyd, and The National.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT