All Things Philadelphia Area Golf

Good luck with the thread Luxman. I know there's lots of good golf up there. I wish I had more time to try and get up and enjoy some of it.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Finally some weather break coming here. I've been playing as long as no snow was on the ground, but looking forward to not making my hands numb on a stinger shot from it being cold and a miss hit. The club I usually play at(Town and Country in Woodstown, NJ) just cross cut their greens this past week and in about 2 weeks will be rolling good. Nice to start seeing some green!

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1302623024' post='3145895']
How did everyone fare in their first GAP match of the year?

Happy to report that I won my first match. Individual lost the front 1-down, won the back 2-up to win the overall. Team halved the front, won the back 2-up to win the overall.

Looks like I'm playing at White Manor next week. :)
[/quote]

White Manor, nice. I worked there years ago right before they re-did it. The greens can be crazy if they're running fast.

side note: good idea for a thread.

Happy to report that I won my first match. Individual lost the front 1-down, won the back 2-up to win the overall. Team halved the front, won the back 2-up to win the overall.

[/quote]

1-0 for me! Playing for Burlington CC in Mount Holly. Played away at Merchantville CC, won the front 1 UP, back 2 UP, and won the overall 3 and 1. We smoked them in the Better-Ball as well. Took all 9 points, so I was pleased. Especially since I didn't play well at all.

What track are you playing out of?

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[/quote]

Congrats Luxman...Good luck in your next match.

Vokey

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1302624402' post='3145988']
No GAP matches for yours truly, too much of a time suck - Luxman, where do you play out of mainly? Grew up in Chestnut Hill and played lots and lots of courses out in the Blue Bell area........
[/quote]

I'm a member at Blue Bell CC and play the majority of my rounds there.

Yes, GAP matches do take a lot of time, especially when it's on the same Sunday as the final round of a great Masters! I didn't leave Tavistock until it was over and got home around 7:30. It's a good thing I have a very understanding wife. :)

I used to play Blue Bell a decent amount with a buddy back in the day - his dad still lives there (on Inverness drive, if memory serves) - I remember playing the long par 3 (11, maybe - the one over water) back when we were 12 and 13 years old from the all the way back tees and having to rip a driver to get it there :)

Now he's a member at Meadowlands and we play there whenever he's in town - I (my dad) used to belong to Cedarbrook and then Squires (the course I pretty much grew up on), so I know that Ambler/Blue Bell area pretty well in terms of the golf courses out there (and I'm a member at Philly Cricket, although I never play there).

Two questions:

1) Anyone here playing in the Mid-Am? Just got an email about it five minutes ago.

2) Anyone played either Yardley or Honeybrook? I need to qualify, so would rather qualify on the nicer course :)

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1302633141' post='3146614']
I used to play Blue Bell a decent amount with a buddy back in the day - his dad still lives there (on Inverness drive, if memory serves) - I remember playing the long par 3 (11, maybe - the one over water) back when we were 12 and 13 years old from the all the way back tees and having to rip a driver to get it there :)

Now he's a member at Meadowlands and we play there whenever he's in town - I (my dad) used to belong to Cedarbrook and then Squires (the course I pretty much grew up on), so I know that Ambler/Blue Bell area pretty well in terms of the golf courses out there (and I'm a member at Philly Cricket, although I never play there).

Two questions:

1) Anyone here playing in the Mid-Am? Just got an email about it five minutes ago.

2) Anyone played either Yardley or Honeybrook? I need to qualify, so would rather qualify on the nicer course :)
[/quote]

They have since flipped the 9's so I think you are talking about the 3rd hole. It's 240 over water and typically plays into the wind.

You are a member at Cricket, but don't play there?

I am thinking about the Mid-Am, but haven't made a decision yet. I'd like to get a few more rounds in to get an idea of how I am playing before I make a commitment.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1302630340' post='3146362']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. Any chance you'll be around this year? I had hoped that you could make it to the outing I put together, but IIRC you had some medical issues. If you get up here let's tee it up.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1302634120' post='3146693']
[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1302633141' post='3146614']

Two questions:

[/quote]

They have since flipped the 9's so I think you are talking about the 3rd hole. It's 240 over water and typically plays into the wind.

You are a member at Cricket, but don't play there?

I am thinking about the Mid-Am, but haven't made a decision yet. I'd like to get a few more rounds in to get an idea of how I am playing before I make a commitment.
[/quote]

Yup, that's the hole - seemed a lot longer when I was just a wee lad.

Yeah, I live right next to Mercer Oaks and it's just easier to drive three minutes and play there then it is to deal with the drive to PCC - get out there a handful of times a year, but mainly play Mercer these days.

What kind of index are you? I know I'd have no shot in the Mid-Am, but it's been several years since I've played any competitive golf so I'd like to at least play a couple of "official" rounds just to get the juices flowing again.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1302635666' post='3146837']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1302630340' post='3146362']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. Any chance you'll be around this year? I had hoped that you could make it to the outing I put together, but IIRC you had some medical issues. If you get up here let's tee it up.
[/quote]
I had a couple issues last year medical wise (swing issues are a whole new thread!!) I believe your outing was the weekend after I had surgery on my retna. It all went well.

Seems like my summer calendar is already booking up, but if you do another outing in July or August, I will definitely try to make it.

Thanks.

Vokey

Well, I'm no GAP member, just JGA (Jeffersonville Golf Association) but happy to check in! :) Congrats on the win lux, hopefully I'll be able to make it this year if you put together another outing.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1302723847' post='3150551']
Well, I'm no GAP member, just JGA (Jeffersonville Golf Association) but happy to check in! :) Congrats on the win lux, hopefully I'll be able to make it this year if you put together another outing.
[/quote]

Thanks. I used to play the Jeff quite a bit. It's a really fun track that with a couple of tweaks could be very good.

I have to be honest and say that it's highly unlikely that I'll be putting together another outing.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1302788543' post='3152703']
[/quote]

Thanks. I used to play the Jeff quite a bit. It's a really fun track that with a couple of tweaks could be very good.

I have to be honest and say that it's highly unlikely that I'll be putting together another outing.
[/quote]

That's too bad about the outing.

Jeff is a really nice course for someone like me, in so far as its close, its relatively cheap, and its taken care of pretty well. It gets overcrowded at times and would be an even better track if it wasn't played so frequently, but none the less I never come away not feeling satisfied. One of the best things west norriton ever did was invest in that course, especially when you compare it to westover. Greens at this point alone make it a better track.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1302907093' post='3157500']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Jeff is a really nice course for someone like me, in so far as its close, its relatively cheap, and its taken care of pretty well. It gets overcrowded at times and would be an even better track if it wasn't played so frequently, but none the less I never come away not feeling satisfied. One of the best things west norriton ever did was invest in that course, especially when you compare it to westover. Greens at this point alone make it a better track.
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Jeff. Played a Pennsylvania Golf Association qualifier there last year, really enjoyed the course. I especially like the cute blonde in the bar! lol

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1302912018' post='3157724']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Jeff. Played a Pennsylvania Golf Association qualifier there last year, really enjoyed the course. I especially like the cute blonde in the bar! lol
[/quote]

I went to high school with her. ;)

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was a member at the Jeff for 2 years. They definitely shove as many rounds out there as possible. If you play early in the morning it's fine, but afternoon rounds are just a killer.

My only issue with the course are the "new" greens (2, 6 and 7). IMO 7 does not fit the course and I just don't think that 2 and 6 are good greens.

The par 3's at the Jeff are as good as any around though. I had many a round where I was even or under par and walked away from 8 over par.

I completely agree about 2 and 6. Not sure exactly what they can or should change, but I do agree that they don't fit. 7 isn't bad, it's just very average and unimaginative. Doesn't fit the rest of the course in that regard. 2 though, that's the one I'd really like to see changed. Worst green on the course.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1302929959' post='3158572']
[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1302912018' post='3157724']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to high school with her. ;)
[/quote]

Hook it up!

PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='Evolved' timestamp='1302803039' post='3153321']
[quote name='EastPhillyReppin' timestamp='1302634366' post='3146720']
I would say play Honey brook unless you hit it 230 down the middle every time. Yardley is a bit tight and not my cup of tea.
[/quote]

x2 on this. Honeybrook is fairly wide open.
[/quote]

I'm on the fence for the midam too. ive played honeybrook a couple times, but it is a bit of a hike. plus, if you dont qualivy, its and expensive round for a public course. On top of that, my friend is a member at laurel creek, so i get to play it quite frequently. so, no real excitement to play a different course if i qualified.

i play for medford village. won team and individual the 1st wee against hidden creek. i was home. at trump tomorrow. looking forward to it.

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1302983287' post='3159838']
I completely agree about 2 and 6. Not sure exactly what they can or should change, but I do agree that they don't fit. 7 isn't bad, it's just very average and unimaginative. Doesn't fit the rest of the course in that regard. 2 though, that's the one I'd really like to see changed. Worst green on the course.
[/quote]

2, even though it is one of the new greens, needs to be rebuilt as it was built very poorly. The easiest thing to do would be to not make it an elevated green. The size of the green isn't an issue since you are hitting a flip wedge in, but when you have trouble holding a lob wedge you know something is wrong with the green.

I think 6 is just a bad design.

The thing I don't like about 7 is that it's an elevated, blind green that you are hitting a mid iron into and it's typically (or at least was) very hard. IMO there's no reason for that green to be elevated. A good Ross green complex for 7 would be similar to the green complex on 16 with a bunch of mounds around it.

[quote name='Hodsy871' timestamp='1302984990' post='3159898']
[quote name='Evolved' timestamp='1302803039' post='3153321']
[quote name='EastPhillyReppin' timestamp='1302634366' post='3146720']
I would say play Honey brook unless you hit it 230 down the middle every time. Yardley is a bit tight and not my cup of tea.
[/quote]

x2 on this. Honeybrook is fairly wide open.
[/quote]

I'm on the fence for the midam too. ive played honeybrook a couple times, but it is a bit of a hike. plus, if you dont qualivy, its and expensive round for a public course. On top of that, my friend is a member at laurel creek, so i get to play it quite frequently. so, no real excitement to play a different course if i qualified.

i play for medford village. won team and individual the 1st wee against hidden creek. i was home. at trump tomorrow. looking forward to it.
[/quote]

As I look at my calendar I think the mid-am is out for me, but the fact that the 2 qualifying courses are nothing to write home about seals the deal.

Good job in your match. Let us know how you do at Trump and how the course is.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. Courses will be very sloppy and, unless the forecast changes, it's going to be very windy too.