2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

All Things Philadelphia Area Golf

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1302989422' post='3160030']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1302983287' post='3159838']
I completely agree about 2 and 6. Not sure exactly what they can or should change, but I do agree that they don't fit. 7 isn't bad, it's just very average and unimaginative. Doesn't fit the rest of the course in that regard. 2 though, that's the one I'd really like to see changed. Worst green on the course.
[/quote]

2, even though it is one of the new greens, needs to be rebuilt as it was built very poorly. The easiest thing to do would be to not make it an elevated green. The size of the green isn't an issue since you are hitting a flip wedge in, but when you have trouble holding a lob wedge you know something is wrong with the green.

I think 6 is just a bad design.

The thing I don't like about 7 is that it's an elevated, blind green that you are hitting a mid iron into and it's typically (or at least was) very hard. IMO there's no reason for that green to be elevated. A good Ross green complex for 7 would be similar to the green complex on 16 with a bunch of mounds around it.
[/quote]

Yeah the elevated greens are just very out of place along the course. 7 I find the least offensive, but going uphill off of a blind dogleg, it's very annoying. 2 for me would be a hole that I'd probably slope towards the creek and then in the back either elevate or make a second tier to offer a different look for pin back and forward, with mounds in the back. Maybe something similar for 6, but I just don't know how 7 can be changed, they'd have to widen it a bit I think and take out the bunker on the right.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1303323070' post='3171120']
Anyone playing in the Mike Missanelli (sp.?) tournament at Deerfield? It's Thursday, May 12th.

Anyone ever played Deerfield? If so, any details or pertinent info about the place? Thanks.
[/quote]

Interesting enough, I have worked @ Deerfield for the past 3+ years...last years WFAN event was lots of fun for everyone who attended!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to play, but too much $$ for me right now. Plus, if I was going to play I'd want to be in the group with Missanelli. Beating his a** up and down the course would be a treat, and I say that as a fan of his show and past shows. :D

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

Checking in from Plymouth Meeting here, could not agree more about #2 green at jeffersonville. Feel like everytime i play there i end of bitching and complaining about it after hitting a full wedge that lands on the front of the green which ends up bouncing 4 times and rolls off the back.

Anyone playing in any tournaments other than GAP matches like county amateurs or USGA qualifiers in the area?

Probably not this year. May go for some qualifiers next year, but then I'd need to swap out a good majority of my equipment to conforming, and I don't have the $$.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1305145708' post='3225650']
Probably not this year. May go for some qualifiers next year, but then I'd need to swap out a good majority of my equipment to conforming, and I don't have the $$.
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but unless you are qualifying for the US Open, you can still use the older equipment.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1305211071' post='3227515']
Probably not this year. May go for some qualifiers next year, but then I'd need to swap out a good majority of my equipment to conforming, and I don't have the $.
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but unless you are qualifying for the US Open, you can still use the older equipment.
[/quote]

For the first qualifier yes, but I believe from then on you need to play a conforming set. Not that I think I will or wont qualify, but on the off chance that it does happen, I don't have the $$ to replace my entire bag, lol. One of the reasons I've been thinking about getting the XFT wedges.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1304534831' post='3207956']
I was going to play, but too much $$ for me right now. Plus, if I was going to play I'd want to be in the group with Missanelli. Beating his a** up and down the course would be a treat, and I say that as a fan of his show and past shows. :D
[/quote]

It was a good time - his group shot -10, my group shot -9 (me and three 15 indexes, basically playing my ball and the three of them putting it out) - winning score was -14.

Won closest to the pin on #16 and would've won it on the long uphill par three as well if they had it on that hole - had about 1' left.

We missed the green on three or four holes where we had sand wedges in...............talk about some hacks.

Was really fun though and I'm definitely going to do it next year - for $125, you get lunch, dinner, free beers, and tons of prizes/swag - they had a raffle at the end and two guys won a free golf bag with two Odyssey putters in it (two per guy, so four total) - I was pretty jealous of that.

If anyone wants a buy one / get one free certificate (good for Mon. - Thurs.) then let me know and I'll mail you mine (must be used by June 16th).

BTW, Mikey Miss stood on his tippy toes for every picture he took - it was pretty hilarious, people were calling him a ballerina - talk about a violation :)

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1305255029' post='3229682']
Probably not this year. May go for some qualifiers next year, but then I'd need to swap out a good majority of my equipment to conforming, and I don't have the $.
[/quote]

[/quote]

For the first qualifier yes, but I believe from then on you need to play a conforming set. Not that I think I will or wont qualify, but on the off chance that it does happen, I don't have the $$ to replace my entire bag, lol. One of the reasons I've been thinking about getting the XFT wedges.
[/quote]

If you qualify for the US Open you need conforming clubs, but I'm pretty sure that for the amateur and mid-am you can using non-conforming, even if you qualify.

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1305300717' post='3230716']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1305255029' post='3229682']
[/quote]

[/quote]

For the first qualifier yes, but I believe from then on you need to play a conforming set. Not that I think I will or wont qualify, but on the off chance that it does happen, I don't have the $ to replace my entire bag, lol. One of the reasons I've been thinking about getting the XFT wedges.
[/quote]

If you qualify for the US Open you need conforming clubs, but I'm pretty sure that for the amateur and mid-am you can using non-conforming, even if you qualify.
[/quote]

That's encouraging to hear. I really haven't researched it heavily, but I've been thinking about it. If I can get my swing back to where it was last year, I'd probably go out and give it a shot. since my wrist injury, I've had a hard time finding my power move. I have only been swinging legitimately since late March/early April, but I feel like so far this early part of the season has been a reaaaaaaaal struggle. Shot a 39 today on 9, but that was almost souly on my ability to scramble. Really need a lot more work, and I have my Match play tournament coming up soon in the JGA which I'd really like to win, lol.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

Luxman, where did you go for your Wilson FG Tour wedges? I'm looking into getting a set but I haven't seen any places that carry them yet. I know Golf USA in Limerick used to have some Wilson stuff, but haven't been up there since they opened.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

I know the new groove rules are not in effect for any amateur championships yet. I am attempting to qualify for the US Publinks and they sent out an email listing a couple rules about conforming balls, grooves ect. Luckily whenever they do go into effect i'll only have to replace a couple wedges, if i had to get new irons i would be out for attempting to qualify.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Center Square today for the first time. Never wanted to before, really didn't want to today, but it was on the way and 20 to walk.

Most boring course ever. Holes all feel the same, all play the same. The course is pretty well taken care of, but it is just borinnnnnggg.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

Was there at around 5:00.

They take really nice care of the place, and they have a great putting green, but that's all I really enjoy when it comes to that place. If you have played the 1st, 3rd and 5th, you basically have played the entire course lol.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

Thinking about playing US Am Qualifying at Rolling Green/Llanerch. Very underrated GAP courses (I know RG is Top100 in Golfweek's Classic list, but still underrated). The MGA sites are not appealing at all, and I'm not driving to West Virginia to play Pete Dye Golf Club (although I really want to haha).

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

If I could I totally would, lol.

BTW, I finally found a sleeve of the 20XI's to try today. Only place I know in the area selling as sleeves right now and that's Golfsmith in Willow Grove. Pretty disappointed that it had to be them as giving them business is sort of like giving away part of my soul, but I really wanted try these before buying a whole box and then hating them.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1307135210' post='3283040']
Thinking about playing US Am Qualifying at Rolling Green/Llanerch. Very underrated GAP courses (I know RG is Top100 in Golfweek's Classic list, but still underrated). The MGA sites are not appealing at all, and I'm not driving to West Virginia to play Pete Dye Golf Club (although I really want to haha).
[/quote]

Are you trying to qualify for the State Am? I was going to until I hurt my knee 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1305082812' post='3223933']<br />Checking in from Plymouth Meeting here, could not agree more about #2 green at jeffersonville.  Feel like everytime i play there i end of bitching and complaining about it after hitting a full wedge that lands on the front of the green which ends up bouncing 4 times and rolls off the back.<br /><br />Anyone playing in any tournaments other than GAP matches like county amateurs or USGA qualifiers in the area?<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

C-Law, where u live in plymouth? I live in Lafayette Hill, right across from Green Valley Country Club.

Hey Guys, I am originally from Philly and first started playing golf at Juniata 13 years ago when I was 5. I now live in MD, but will be in Philly Sunday, and would like to get a round in somewhere. Any suggestions on courses to play? Im trying to play a course thats a good value, best bang for the least buck. My limit would be about $60 tops

[quote name='ll.umpire' timestamp='1307558958' post='3293087']<br />Hey Guys, I am originally from Philly and first started playing golf at Juniata 13 years ago when I was 5. I now live in MD, but will be in Philly Sunday, and would like to get a round in somewhere. Any suggestions on courses to play? Im trying to play a course thats a good value, best bang for the least buck. My limit would be about $60 tops<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

I like Bella Vista out 422. I think AM times are a little more than $60. Afternoon is cheaper thou. Real nice course, cool par 3 insland green.

[quote name='billalburger' timestamp='1307553750' post='3292850']
[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1305082812' post='3223933']<br />Checking in from Plymouth Meeting here, could not agree more about #2 green at jeffersonville. Feel like everytime i play there i end of bitching and complaining about it after hitting a full wedge that lands on the front of the green which ends up bouncing 4 times and rolls off the back.<br /><br />Anyone playing in any tournaments other than GAP matches like county amateurs or USGA qualifiers in the area?<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

C-Law, where u live in plymouth? I live in Lafayette Hill, right across from Green Valley Country Club.
[/quote]

Im right at the border of Plymouth and East Norriton off germantown. I know where you're talkin about i went to PW played Green Valley as our home course.

[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1307639513' post='3295570']&lt;br /&gt;[quote name='billalburger' timestamp='1307553750' post='3292850']&lt;br /&gt;[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1305082812' post='3223933']&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Checking in from Plymouth Meeting here, could not agree more about #2 green at jeffersonville.  Feel like everytime i play there i end of bitching and complaining about it after hitting a full wedge that lands on the front of the green which ends up bouncing 4 times and rolls off the back.&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Anyone playing in any tournaments other than GAP matches like county amateurs or USGA qualifiers in the area?&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;[/quote]&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;C-Law, where u live in plymouth? I live in Lafayette Hill, right across from Green Valley Country Club.&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Im right at the border of Plymouth and East Norriton off germantown.  I know where you're talkin about i went to PW played Green Valley as our home course.&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />When you graduate? My brother and sister went there, I went elsewhere.

[quote name='billalburger' timestamp='1307651420' post='3296189']
[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1307639513' post='3295570']&lt;br /&gt;[quote name='billalburger' timestamp='1307553750' post='3292850']&lt;br /&gt;[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1305082812' post='3223933']&lt;br /&gt;Checking in from Plymouth Meeting here, could not agree more about #2 green at jeffersonville. Feel like everytime i play there i end of bitching and complaining about it after hitting a full wedge that lands on the front of the green which ends up bouncing 4 times and rolls off the back.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Anyone playing in any tournaments other than GAP matches like county amateurs or USGA qualifiers in the area?&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;C-Law, where u live in plymouth? I live in Lafayette Hill, right across from Green Valley Country Club.&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Im right at the border of Plymouth and East Norriton off germantown. I know where you're talkin about i went to PW played Green Valley as our home course.&lt;br /&gt;[/quote]&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />When you graduate? My brother and sister went there, I went elsewhere.
[/quote]

I live in East Norriton and work in the Plymouth Meeting Giant (I stock dairy). If you see a stocky Irish-Italian guy working the nights or early shifts on the weekends, it would be this guy. ;)

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1308597264' post='3321852']
Playing the Ace Club tomorrow - already checked out the website (and played there a few times back when it was Eagle Lodge but can't remember much of it) - anyone who's played there recently have any tips about the course?
[/quote]

Remembering Eagle Lodge wouldn't do you any good as ACE has none of the Eagle Lodge course features.

The ACE is a good layout with very generous fairways, but if you are spraying it, you will be in for a long day. Lots of bunkers, most of which you do not want to be in as they are very large and very deep.

Enjoy the day and let us know what you think of it.

Thanks for the analysis - as someone who's bunker game is closer to a 20 handicap than my (kinda) low single digit index, I'm gonna make sure I stay outta those bunkers if I can :)

I'll post either tomorrow night or Wednesday morning what I thought of the place - from what I understand it's supposed to be a fairly nice club these days.