Amateurs with Staff Bags...Yes or No?(merged)

I go back and forth between Stand and Staff and even Cart Bag.

Winter time I always go staff......can fit more cold gear, rain gear in the bag.

If I know I am going to be hitting the range and short game area a bunch, I will go stand bag, which is what I use 80% of the time.

Traveling with clubs....Cart bag. Not as heavy as staff, fits in the Club Glove bag, little more pocket space than a stand....comes in handy when traveling with clubs.

Also....in regards to the pull cart comment. I bought 2 years ago a Clic Gear push cart........that thing is BAD A**. Here in Atlanta there aren't many courses you can walk, or want to walk and carry....unless you have a personal death wish. Push cart makes some of the very hilly courses a breeze. It has been 90 degrees plus here since May....if you walk, which I prefer, you will kill yourself carrying in this heat.

I have one, and I use it sometimes. It is not because I want to be a pro or anything, I just like it. It is easy to pull clubs in and out, and when I have a tournament when riding a cart, I can keep anything and everything I could ever need in there. I use it to throw extra club in too..

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I am well and truly in the who cares category. I used to have one in temperate New Zealand where you needed wet weather gear, a jumper/ polar fleece, hat/ beanie, extra towels, wet weather gloves etc etc and everyone used a push/ pull cart. Here i dont need all the gear and use a caddy, so a carry bag is fine.

I personally dont like the look of Joe Average getting his bag all embroidered with his/ her name ala the pros. We are all big kids and should have given up playing dress-ups a long time ago. Sorry if you like your all orange Puma, white belts and matching monoline- flat brim, but IMHO it looks too try hard [i]pro poseur[/i]!!!!

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1315474129' post='3550315']

I personally dont like the look of Joe Average getting his bag all embroidered with his/ her name ala the pros. We are all big kids and should have given up playing dress-ups a long time ago. Sorry if you like your all orange Puma, white belts and matching monoline- flat brim, but IMHO it looks too try hard [i]pro poseur[/i]!!!!
[/quote]

I see your point. But here's another angle. What if you see a staff bag, no personalized name, but it's all logoed out but his clubs aren't all shiny and new. Irons, wedges and putter are old, headcovers covering the woods are old as well. The guy dresses like a semi-slob, but doesn't have anything obnoxious or wearing all orange. What do you think of that? What kind of guy is this guy? Is he a poser as well? Or does he get a free pass with the staff bag? He can play a lil bit but he's not a scratch or awesomely good. When you see the staff bag on a guy like this, is he an immediate DBag? Just curious as to what goes through people's mind when this guy shows up at the course.

Personally you can use one all you want. I dont cause they are to heavy. But i would like one for at home to hold older clubs and maybe for vacation but not even sure there. Again if you want one get it that is your choice and noone should telly you differently.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

My first bag was a TaylorMade TI Bubble 2 staff bag that I got with a complete set of TIB2 woods and irons. I carried it proudly and didn't care what others had to say then. I still have it (and the irons), and I even play that setup with friends who I know are absolutely terrible at golf and with whom I've wagered I can beat them with my 10+ year old equipment even though they buy new clubs and bags almost yearly.

If I see someone with one today, I don't care. The bag options are so plentiful and with such variety now that it really doesn't matter who cares what ... unless, of course, they can't lug it around and slow down play.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. It's their money. They can spend it on whatever they want. There are a million different options out there, even to get a custom staff bag with whatever on it. It doesn't matter to me.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I voted NO, but really for me its who gives a rats butt

the reason i voted no... there has been several occasions as a walk on single ... where I was paired up with some group of buddies that had staff bags... matching clubs... etc... obviously my first reaction ooo maybe they are pros/on staff/work at a golfshop whatever that doesn't bug gets me excited to kick their butts

whats bugs me... it seems to have that effect.... i have all these nice clubs... i have a staff bag..... ya look at me i am all that... so you can kind of tell by their body language and tone of voice ... (i shoot 75 Im sooooo gooooddddd ... not)

and its rough the first couple holes...they always seem to be sizing me up asking me to hit when the group ahead not even 250 yards out, they talk about how good they played the other day, how well they did at the 4 man scramble last weekend (these are just examples)

obviously these are my experiences with amateurs with staff bags but doesnt matter

as long I kick their butt right lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='ghoSt2K' timestamp='1316018038' post='3563836']
to me the only way it'd be hokey is if an amat had their name monogrammed on a staff bag. o/w it's just a bag and you're not trying to pass yourself off as something/someone you're not.
[/quote]

I find it ironic that putting one's own name on their bag is seen as "trying to pass yourself off as someone you're not"... it's actually the exact opposite!

That said, I'm in agreement that the name on the bag is hokey. I'm not a flashy guy but I can see why some people like to customize their bag and have some fun with it so I'm not too hard on them. I tend to judge the bag on an individual basis. Some are classy and look great, others just look ridiculous or desperate.

I plan to get a staff bag over the winter. I ride 95% of the time and I have been fighting a stand bag for too long. I have had staff bags in the past but been about 10 years. I dropped them due to the image being discussed. I just can't go to the cart bag... I am too traditional in my tastes.

I do plan to customize it though with a few strategically placed 'Blackhawk' indian head logos. 'Go Hawks'!

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1316021253' post='3563963']

the reason i voted no... there has been several occasions as a walk on single ... where I was paired up with some group of buddies that had staff bags... matching clubs... etc... obviously my first reaction ooo maybe they are pros/on staff/work at a golfshop whatever that doesn't bug gets me excited to kick their butts

whats bugs me... it seems to have that effect.... i have all these nice clubs... i have a staff bag..... ya look at me i am all that... so you can kind of tell by their body language and tone of voice ... (i shoot 75 Im sooooo gooooddddd ... not)

and its rough the first couple holes...they always seem to be sizing me up asking me to hit when the group ahead not even 250 yards out, they talk about how good they played the other day, how well they did at the 4 man scramble last weekend (these are just examples)

obviously these are my experiences with amateurs with staff bags but doesnt matter

[/quote]

And I suppose you have never heard guys with carry bags / normal cart bags say the same things, but it's something only amateurs with staffbags say and do.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

i like how the subject gets derailed.... topic is about amateur with staffbags....

unfortunately all the guys i play with who are top ams have carry standbags.... but to be honest i never had an incident where a person with normal cart bag did what i posted previously... maybe 10 years ago when I was a youngster ...

i suppose you have a Staff bag? with your name on it? ....(see how this turned out)

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1316543058' post='3577671']
i like how the subject gets derailed.... topic is about amateur with staffbags....

unfortunately all the guys i play with who are top ams have carry standbags.... but to be honest i never had an incident where a person with normal cart bag did what i posted previously... maybe 10 years ago when I was a youngster ...

i suppose you have a Staff bag? with your name on it? ....(see how this turned out)
[/quote]

I have a staffbag yes, but not with my name on it. I guess the culture is different where I come from.

It's not like a staffbag is a status symble, its just a bag with larger pockets and a top that I like. I like my mizuno staffbag, not because I think it makes me special, but because it fits my needs.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

Get over yourself dude. If ...you gloat about beating someone with a staff bag.

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1316021253' post='3563963']

[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

geez really?

i play golf to play the best i can... i like the competition... is that pathetic... i guess we play golf for different reasons... black%20eye.gif

i love the personal attack.... ya im pathetic

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1316665610' post='3581651']
Get over yourself dude. If ... that you gloat about beating someone with a staff bag.
[/quote]

why the personal attack? he was just voicing his opinion and sharing his experience. im guessing you carry a staff bag too..
IMHO i vote "yes/no" on a staff bag
if your playing in a tourney with a caddy and all that..sure if you want to use one fine.
but if your playing 18 at a public course (which is what i mostly play) then i think it looks silly to be lugging around a HUGE staff bag. Worse thing is a staff bag takes up a lot of room in the back of the cart my stand bag is usually sandwiched...

the only reason I us one is that I have to go about an hour and a half to play and i will bring allot of stuff, rain suit extra balls and so on, i just cant run home and pick up stuff if needed. Also one of my biggist things that gets me rea;lly steamed is the clubs sticking in your bag. I hate when they snag pulling them or putting them in.

As someone stated, a bag is a bag. Most cart bags are brutal and should have a minimum age before purcahse disclaimer. A staff bag is pretty sweet, just a fancy cart bag. Yes there are some posers out there that buy them, but if they feel like spending the dough, so be it. Used to work at a retail golf shop and women would come into a buy a bag for their hubby and see the staff bags and buy them. I am sure most of the guys that received them were excited but knew they would get grief from their group, but as all good husbands know......a gift from the wife can never be disposed of.....have a collection in my office to prove it......

Really liked the old Mattel toy staff bags that were made a few years back, Nerf, Star Wars, Monopoly and such. Then there is the plain jane Iliac staff bag. Lots of good designs out there that could be used in lieu of the OEM. Sucks when you ho and switch clubs and have a staff bag that doesn't match any of the clubs in the bag.

But enough rambling, staff bags OK by me!

I don't understand why anyone cares what somebody else has! Whether it be blades or SGI irons, Camerons or Odysseys, carry bagss or staff bag...who cares if someone else wants to pay for it???? The other day there was someone ranting on here that nobody should wear white belts...sometimes it's no wonder why golf gets a bad name! Too many people trying to make the rules for everyone else....makes no sense!!!!

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1316700701' post='3582263']
Did you read his post? Belittling someone carrying a staff and bragging about his game. No I don't carry one.
[/quote]

where do i brag about my game and belittle someone?

i start my post off by saying they belittle me first, and mention about MY experiences... nor did i mention anything about my game...

i even mentioned positive things about the guys who had staff bags with the same equipment.... i thought they were on STAFF (which you dont need to be a pro)/ a pro/ works at a golf shop...

i already mentioned It didn't matter to me .. just the instances i had made me vote no....

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE