iPhone is tracking its users

Pepperturbo

If you are a user or considering one read up.

BY JENNIFER VALENTINO-DEVRIES in the Wall-Street Journal today.

Two researchers said they have uncovered a hidden file on Apple Inc. iPhones that keeps a record of where the phone has been and when it was there—a database that is unencrypted and stored by default.

The security experts, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, also created a program that lets iPhone owners see what the device has stored about their whereabouts. The maps produced by the program show details stretching back months.

It's not clear why the data are stored on the devices. There's no evidence the information is transferred to Apple. The company didn't respond to a request for

I was considering the iPhone as it's time to renew. But with this hanging out there and Apple responses - iPhone is a no longer an option for the company. I will not tolerate people track my whereabouts; that's crossing the line! Reason I use various software programs to insure blockage of web bugs and cookies.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1303401036' post='3173767']
[b]BY JENNIFER VALENTINO-DEVRIES in the Wall-Street Journal today.
[/b]
Two researchers said they have uncovered a hidden file on Apple Inc. iPhones that keeps a record of where the phone has been and when it was there—a database that is unencrypted and stored by default.

The security experts, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, also created a program that lets iPhone owners see what the device has stored about their whereabouts. The maps produced by the program show details stretching back months.

It's not clear why the data are stored on the devices. There's no evidence the information is transferred to Apple. The company didn't respond to a request for

I was considering the iPhone as it's time to renew. But with this hanging out there and Apple responses - iPhone is a no longer an option for the company. I will not tolerate people track my whereabouts; that's crossing the line! Reason I use various software programs to insure blockage of web bugs and cookies.

[/quote]

What do you think a cellphone is? Any cellphone acts as a beacon and can be located. This is especially true with smart phones, they run google maps and different types of mapping and gps programs. How did you think it can give you directions while its on the go? Phones these days are walking transmitters my friend and this is the norm. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no man in a office watching and tracking your whereabouts everyday and presenting it to a board of people.It is a general thing, oh and in case you werent aware all your messages and calls are not private as well. Sorry just the way things are these days.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[/b]

[/quote]

What are you a spy or something? Do you think Apple employees are gonna bust through your walls at your house and arrest you? I'm sorry but why do you care?

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

[quote name='Jsize' timestamp='1303437049' post='3175413']
I saw this today as well. The thing that might worry me is if they were able to track the music you have on your iPhone/iPad and tell if any of it was illegally downloaded. That could really screw some people over.
[/quote]

Im not sure how that works on an iphone or ipad, but if you are using programs like the computer uses/used (limewire,bearshare etc) I am sure they follow that. That is how they went after the people who have thousands of downloaded songs using those programs back in the day.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

They cannot divulge that info. Go look at privacy laws. It's not a violation if apple doesnt transmit that info, it's just a feature of the phone. If you think google and others don't track your phone you're effin nuts. They track and record EVERY search you make and all of the data you do associated with it. So this is really not a big deal. It ACTUALLY sounds like these two guys will realease a software for a high price for you to see info that doesnt matter anyways.

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1303490846' post='3176650']
Yeah, I'm guessing the GPS in my car does the same thing. Whatever.

As long as my boss can't use it to verify whether I was home sick or on the course last Thursday, it's all good by me.
[/quote]

Be careful, lots of work trucks/vans lately are getting gps to where they can track where your at.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1303404494' post='3173930']
What do you think a cellphone is? Any cellphone acts as a beacon and can be located. This is especially true with smart phones, they run google maps and different types of mapping and gps programs. How did you think it can give you directions while its on the go? Phones these days are walking transmitters my friend and this is the norm. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no man in a office watching and tracking your whereabouts everyday and presenting it to a board of people.It is a general thing, oh and in case you werent aware all your messages and calls are not private as well. Sorry just the way things are these days.
[/quote]

There's a difference between going into settings, turning on the GPS setting and then asking it for directions and this.

This is just invasion of privacy in every single way. Not sure why the hell they want this information either way, but its creepy as all hell.

[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1303504733' post='3177340']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1303404494' post='3173930']
[/quote]

There's a difference between going into settings, turning on the GPS setting and then asking it for directions and this.

This is just invasion of privacy in every single way. Not sure why the hell they want this information either way, but its creepy as all hell.
[/quote]

No there is not. The phone gps is always on, it just activates and translates to you when you ask it to (use the app). It is always tracking and communicating when the phone is on. Even phones with no gps act as a beacon. It is not invasion of privacy, that would occur if they were actively doing something with your whereabouts and publishing or using it in some way. Instead, the phone simply just always maintains communication with the satellites when on. You are acting like the op thinking is always passing on info to some guy in a office like "cassinonorth is now in the bathroom, now walking to the kitchen etc etc". Its not doing that, come on man. Ill try and simplify it to you two, the phone is keeping track of ITS (the phones) whereabouts. Thus when it is in your pocket it is doing the same thing. Would you still feel that it is uncalled for, creepy, invasion of privacy if you are out hiking and fall, are abducted, or whatever situation and they find you because of that phone?

Come on guys, step into the 21st century. L:ike I said before, its not just the Iphone that does this. If you dont like it or feel its creepy, dont have a phone or carry it around.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

As long as my boss can't use it to verify whether I was home sick or on the course last Thursday, it's all good by me.
[/quote]

It's kind of funny to me that Progressive Insurance is running a commercial with 'Flo' (is it terrible that I know her character name?) about its latest offering: 'Snapshot.' I wonder if people know that if you use this monitoring device, you stand to get a better rate -- but you better not spend too many miles driving -- it will record that so when you tell them you drive 10 miles a week -- well that lie ain't gunna fly (in fact, 'Snapshot' is more (it seems to me) intended to save Progressive money (by charging the customer more?)). Then you have to look at other things like you KNOW it is going to track your speeds and match them up (this is a transponder btw folks) with the lawful speed limit. Go too fast, it is going to be held against you... In fact most people would have their rates raised simply because they could no longer falsify the information they give when arranging for auto insurance.

I guess it is just a matter of letting people know that Progressive, in an effort to couch something as being of a beneficial nature to you -- the customer... ...well the reality is that it is nothing more than a way for Progressive to get the REAL information -- and YOU, the customer -- are going to pay for it! Brilliant, Progressive. Considering your 'corporate politics', why not spy on your customers?

This is not new information. You can bet that apple will eventually use this to target ads. They will (and to some extent, already do) use it to do things like find applicable bars, places to eat, etc in location to your phone.

Also, newsflash, it is not just Apple that does this. BB, Google (android) and all the other smartphones (and even non-smartphones) are doing this type of data logging. Its a part of the world we live in. Crawl out of your conspiracy theories and just live a little would ya!

If someone wants to find you, they will, whether you have an iphone or not bye.gif

[quote name='Jsize' timestamp='1303437049' post='3175413']
I saw this today as well. The thing that might worry me is if they were able to track the music you have on your iPhone/iPad and tell if any of it was illegally downloaded. That could really screw some people over.
[/quote]

Haha this was the first thing to come to mind for me

[/quote]

Funny...

They made a big deal about it this afternoon on the news. I may be just a bit paranoid but big brother doesn't need your Iphone to track you if he wants.

[quote name='imazephed' timestamp='1303955993' post='3192004']

[/quote]

Funny...

They made a big deal about it this afternoon on the news. I may be just a bit paranoid but big brother doesn't need your Iphone to track you if he wants.
[/quote]

Yeah, the funny thing is, it stores that info in a file ON YOUR PHONE. Not at Apple, or on the internet. So to get to that information, someone would have to physically have my phone, then they'd have to crack my security code within 10 guesses or the phone would wipe out and lock itself. Best of luck with that.

Sure, someone could come up with a way to break into my phone wirelessly or something but if you get to that point, a map of where I've been would be the least of my worries. Access to mobile banking would strike a lot more fear than knowing my route to work.

And I believe you're right about tracking, everywhere you go with your cell phone turned on it's pinging all the towers in the area, somewhere there's a log that'll tell you every phone that passed by any tower. It's how they know where to send the signal to ring your phone for incoming calls. Probably not too tough to triangulate locations from that whether you have GPS or not.

• 2 months later...

[/b]

[/quote]

I know this post is way dead but there is an easy answer to this. This is not a bad thing at all and they are not doing it in order to track you. Apple will sell this information to companies for money anonymously. For example, say you bought tickets to a bears game on your phone and the iphone also had tracked you eating at a certain restaurant, lets say buffalo wild wings. Information companies compile this sort of data, and if they see that multiple people who bought bears tickets eat at this restaurant they have recognized a trend. This sort of information is valuable to websites that use advertisement like facebook. No you know why facebook knows you like the bears, or that you like buffalo wild wings!