2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway RAZR X Tour Iron Review

maverick

Test panel Report
I picked to test the new RAZR X irons and originally tried the graphite regular shafts. I sent them back and received a set of RAZR X Tour irons with TT R300 shafts. I would like to thank Callaway who went out of their way to get me fitted correctly. I also want to thank Golfwrx for this amazing chance to be a 'tester'.

Callaway RAZR X Tour Irons. The sole design allows the irons to feel just as advertised. They play like they are made for low-mid handicappers but are forgiving on mishits. On one shot today I hit towards the toe about a ¾" but the ball went straight, just lost a bit of distance. Otherwise they were easy to use. I don't have distances down yet but they seem long. I like the balance with regular TT R300 shafts. The trajectory is what you would expect from these shafts. The ball gets up nicely with no ballooning. With the new 2011 groove specs they seem to spin the ball well. So far I cannot tell much difference. I hit a lot of shots with the AW which is 50* more like a PW. Anyway, the TM AW I had with graphite spun the ball very well. I'll have to see how this one is on the course. On the range I could get them to stick, seems to spin OK.

Today I played 18 holes with these irons and they performed perfectly and with ease. I like the less offset look and they set up nicely. My normal ball flight is straight and these went right at the flag. On the 18th hole I hit a 7 iron to the green with a big headwind and put it a few feet from the pin. I hit a few close with the AW and overall am very satisfied with these irons. I plan on keeping these in the bag for now.

Pros:

'Clean' design. They look like you know what you are doing on the course.

They play the way they look with good GI improvements.

Smaller top line, little offset. They look good at address and set up nicely.

Sharp leading edge cuts through grass nicely.

They are not the big soles made to slide or sweep the ball. These leave a nice divot.

Ball wants to go straight but can be worked.

Thank God no reminder grips.

Cons: None at the moment

GolfwrxCallawayirons.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons1.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons2.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons3.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons4.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons5.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons6.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons7.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons8.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons9.jpg

GolfwrxCallawayirons10.jpg

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review on the Razr X Tours! I want a set.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Nice review - I hope I enjoy mine as much as you do yours.

Went full 180* from Mizuno MP irons primarily (over the past 10 years) presently gaming the MP 62s - but decided on a whim to hit the Razr X Tours....high straight and long - very easy to hit.

Surprisingly the Cally's feel very very nice - at least as "soft" as the MX series of irons but not as solid as the MPs - but excellent feel nonetheless. The Callys sweetspot is bigger and definitely more "middle" of the club face, as opposed to Mizuno MP's which are "slightly inside center towards the hozel". But it seems the RXT's sweetspot is huge.

Good review, and I think that it was pretty cool of Callaway to supply you with these Razr X Tours, and then to get your shaft fitting / exchange squared away. Super Cool, and a big Thank You to easyyy and GolfWRX for allowing you the opportunity.friends.gif

Happy Hunting...

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

For guys who have previously played the X Tours, how do these clubs compare ?
Specifically: club head size, offset, sole grind, forgiveness.

Thanks

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='zeedub' timestamp='1303698621' post='3182887']
oh ya this thing is killing it

that's how a golf club should sound
[/quote]

this thing's got some go man

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Good review, and I think that it was pretty cool of Callaway to supply you with these Razr X Tours, and then to get your shaft fitting / exchange squared away. Super Cool, and a big Thank You to easyyy and GolfWRX for allowing you the opportunity.friends.gif

Happy Hunting...

Thanks to all that replied. Yes, I was amazed at how Callaway and Golfwrx handled everything so smoothly. :beach:I would have liked to play more with them prior to the review but it has been very windy here and I did the best I could trying to get out to the course at less windy times. That is one reason I went with the TT shafts.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Happy Hunting...

Thanks to all that replied. Yes, I was amazed at how Callaway and Golfwrx handled everything so smoothly. :beach:I would have liked to play more with them prior to the review but it has been very windy here and I did the best I could trying to get out to the course at less windy times. That is one reason I went with the TT shafts.

Have you had more time with them....what are your thoughts?

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1303716522' post='3183393']

Thanks
[/quote]

Good question that I would love to hear the answer to.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Happy Hunting...

Have you had more time with them....what are your thoughts?

This week the weather looks very good so I'll post more after another round or two and some additional range time. Couldn't get out today.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='Chunkylover77' timestamp='1303775412' post='3185402']
[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1303716522' post='3183393']

Thanks
[/quote]

Good question that I would love to hear the answer to.
[/quote]

I guess I'm your boy.. I will remain convinced that for me the best set of irons I've played are the x-tours.. I was challenged by a pro to dump my mp-60's and get a set of x-tours which I played with DGsl s300s and then i95 steelfibers in stiff.. I was playing a lot of tournament golf and keeping it south of 75 most days. The tours immediately helped me hit more greens (greens are small around these parts as most of my regular courses are very old... think Pebble remains the course with the smallest greens on tour and my club's green and Del Monte's are smaller than Pebble's). So in one month I dropped both my index and GIR number by 2..and was really pleased to have some nice finishes in some tournaments. Old favorites are hard to criticize... now I am experiencing a very similar experience on the course as I too was "given" a set of these irons to demo.. Have them with vs-proto shafts in stiff (85 gram) and am very pleased with them.. I have started shooting better scores but some of that has been the rediscovery of callaway's greatest driver ever - the FT-3 (I have a Hawk in the shop with a new Motore F1 waiting to be gripped but I have found some yardage with the FT-3 that was long forgotten by this old goat and I'm hitting fairways like never before).. when you are 60 and can consistently drive it 250-60 you are having fun out there.. make no mistake about it.. marked a tee shot the other day and measured off a 273 yard drive.. best in a long, long time. So while the irons are great my general outlook is excellent and it's possible that these razrX tours could establish a benchmark as well.. I would love to hit the forged razr cavs that Roger designed before I settled in for the year but likely will not bother. I believe in forgiveness and have a lot of confidence in these razrX tours.. the x-tours were soft and I loved them.. these are cast of course.. there is no comparison in my opinion... give me a forged perimeter weighted cavity back iron any day of the week but I'll be singing the praises if these babies help me get below a 3 this year.. I have some plans if they do...as to the specifics of the question? they could be the exact same iron with some technical refinements in the sole of the razrs (sole flares as weight is repositioned to the toe).. the topline of the tours was an optical illusion with the "shading" disguising how thick they really were.. as my tour van buddies say.."same thing, but different"
[attachment=772690:pebble 18 sunrise-1.jpg]
[attachment=772691:bag.jpg]

I too loved my old Xtours, great sticks. I just traded for a set of Razr Tours to fight it out with my S56s and noticed the similities vs my old Xtours.
My question is I was surprized at the dullness of the finish of relatively new irons vs new Razr Tours. I recollect this same thing happening to other Callaway "Tour" versions of the X20,22s,etc. I am not that anal about it and concerned only with performance but just curious as to why the finish goes south so fast?

I got out today for a quick 9 with wind but not too bad. It is due to get windier this weekend. I shot a 40 with the RAZR X Tour irons and they performed perfectly. At this stage of the season I was very happy. My 'misses' were all stupid like mis-aligned, etc. so I was hitting the ball well and putting was good. These iorns give good feedback with a reward on well hit shots. I was driving the ball good so I have plenty of various iron play. I still have no 'cons' for these irons. I would be careful on shaft selection. These irons launch the ball high for me with the TT R300 shafts. [i] [/i]

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1304050811' post='3195288']
I got out today for a quick 9 with wind but not too bad. It is due to get windier this weekend. I shot a 40 with the RAZR X Tour irons and they performed perfectly. At this stage of the season I was very happy. My 'misses' were all stupid like mis-aligned, etc. so I was hitting the ball well and putting was good. These iorns give good feedback with a reward on well hit shots. I was driving the ball good so I have plenty of various iron play. I still have no 'cons' for these irons. I would be careful on shaft selection. [b]These irons launch the ball high for me with the TT R300 shafts[/b]. [i] [/i]
[/quote]

Thanks again for the follow up.

I'm within hours of picking up my set - excited. I hit S300 to the same trajectory and distances as my present club mp62 w/NSPro950 REGULAR flex. I couldn't believe that I hit the S300 (heavy war club shaft LOL ) that well and opted for the NSPro990 instead....since I'm getting older, not younger. Hope I love them and that they simply fly higher, without "ballooning" or hurting. But i guess they really do shoot the ball up in the air.

Question: how is the chipping with a PW? Does the fat bottom interfere with the turf when chipping?

I tested a set of these last week and nearly bought them. I am going to test the new taylormade MB irons first. I have a AP2 6 iron in my bag atm and it will also be being tested against my 09 x forged. So many great club choices out there atm it makes it really hard to pick a set. Being a club ho makes picking a new iron set so hard.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1304082908' post='3195722']
[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1304050811' post='3195288']
I got out today for a quick 9 with wind but not too bad. It is due to get windier this weekend. I shot a 40 with the RAZR X Tour irons and they performed perfectly. At this stage of the season I was very happy. My 'misses' were all stupid like mis-aligned, etc. so I was hitting the ball well and putting was good. These iorns give good feedback with a reward on well hit shots. I was driving the ball good so I have plenty of various iron play. I still have no 'cons' for these irons. I would be careful on shaft selection. [b]These irons launch the ball high for me with the TT R300 shafts[/b]. [i] [/i]
[/quote]

Thanks again for the follow up.

I'm within hours of picking up my set - excited. I hit S300 to the same trajectory and distances as my present club mp62 w/NSPro950 REGULAR flex. I couldn't believe that I hit the S300 (heavy war club shaft LOL ) that well and opted for the NSPro990 instead....since I'm getting older, not younger. Hope I love them and that they simply fly higher, without "ballooning" or hurting. But i guess they really do shoot the ball up in the air.

Question: how is the chipping with a PW? Does the fat bottom interfere with the turf when chipping?
[/quote]

That was a concern for me when I originally saw the new RAZR X irons, both regular and Tour. Then I compared them to my 588 TG wedges and to my surprise they were a bit on the flat side too. They leave a nice neat square divot. LOL As far as spin I see no issue there. Maybe others will but they seem to spin the ball just as good as any irons I have used. They haven't ballooned in the wind I have had so I would not worry about that. (gusts up to 38-40mph)

With my current SS measuring at about 95mph on most any iron I can used either R or S shafts. The Burner 2.0 KBS shafts in a S shaft launch the ball even higher then these with R300s. They (2.0s) might balloon, I haven't had time to try and am happy with the Tour RAZR Xs.

I do most all of my chipping with one wedge, a 588 60*. I have been doing this for over 10+ years and since it works I keep this unorthodox style of play from about 60yds and closer.

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1304117362' post='3196953']
I tested a set of these last week and nearly bought them. I am going to test the new taylormade MB irons first. I have a AP2 6 iron in my bag atm and it will also be being tested against my 09 x forged. So many great club choices out there atm it makes it really hard to pick a set. Being a club ho makes picking a new iron set so hard.
[/quote]

Amen to that. I just tried two sets and could play either. I am afraid to try another. :man_in_love:

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='mul1gan' timestamp='1304472071' post='3206142']
I did a search and was not successful, can anyone tell me what the tip size is for the razr x tour irons? Callaway customer service states that it is 355 taper, but I could have sworn when i pulled and measured it was 370 on the dot. please help...

thanks
[/quote]

The .370 is for irons and the .335 is for graphite shafts on the driver, fw woods. I think Callaway was the first to use .350s in their drivers/FWs but I could be wrong. That is standard for irons. The driver and fws are also a pain in the butt to re-shaft but it can be done.

I played again today with the irons and they performed great. Since I do not change irons often I will expect to keep these in the bag for a while. =)

Byron Morgan 615 33"