2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway RAZR X Tour Iron Review

maverick

Thanks for the great review. I just haven't been happy with my iron game over the last year or so and was determined to find new irons. I went to a demo day at Cog Hill, Chicago area, and tried a number of irons. I tried Titliest, Nike, Taylormade irons and then the Callaway product line. I am a 6 handicap and really wanted forged irons. After an afternoon of hitting irons the realization came that I swung the Callaway Razr X Tours better than anything I hit that day.They seem to fit my eye and my swing. I came back a week later and hit them on the grass range. I then went to another fitter to determine the shafts that would work for me and was surprised that it was the KBS Tour - Regular flex, 1 degree up. . I hit this club/shaft combination about 1/2 club farther and on a higher trajectory that my Ping I15's. Eight days after ordering I received the clubs and went out to play 18 holes. I played another 18 with them this past weekend. I found them very comfortable clubs - they felt smooth on each shot, distance was 1/2 club longer, mainly point and shoot, excellent trajectory, nice head weight so you can feel the club, very nice feel, great distance and direction out of the rough. All in all a well balanced iron. I shot 77 both times and hit more greens than normal. Glad I saw your review before I went to the demo day!

Good review, and I think that it was pretty cool of Callaway to supply you with these Razr X Tours, and then to get your shaft fitting / exchange squared away. Super Cool, and a big Thank You to easyyy and GolfWRX for allowing you the opportunity.friends.gif

Happy Hunting...

Thanks to all that replied. Yes, I was amazed at how Callaway and Golfwrx handled everything so smoothly. :beach:I would have liked to play more with them prior to the review but it has been very windy here and I did the best I could trying to get out to the course at less windy times. That is one reason I went with the TT shafts.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hardten' timestamp='1308067700' post='3306425']
How do compare the Razr Tours to the i15s?
[/quote]
I have both and my go to clubs are the I15's. As a matter of fact the Razr Tours which only have nine holes on them are up for sale. Left hand with S300 shafts. The majority of the clubs have not been hit. For me the I15's are more forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

For me there are a couple of differences. The weight distribution in the Razr X Tours helps get the ball up in air, especially out of the rough. They are point and shoot, I aim at a target and if I put a good swing on it, the ball goes where I aimed. That wasn't always the case with the PING's. Another big difference for me is the KBS Tour shafts versus the PING AWT shafts.. They are very smooth with my swing. I am 1/2 club longer with the Razr X Tours. Both with a Trackman, but also on the course hitting the same brand/type of ball, with both the I-15 and X Tours. I have played six full rounds with the Razr X Tours and hit them very well for accuracy and distance. The other thing I like is that I now have a 5 iron I can play (have 5-GW) well. The PING 5 iron and I never got along.

How do compare the Razr Tours to the i15s?
[/quote]

• 10 months later...

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1304082908' post='3195722']
[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1304050811' post='3195288']
I got out today for a quick 9 with wind but not too bad. It is due to get windier this weekend. I shot a 40 with the RAZR X Tour irons and they performed perfectly. At this stage of the season I was very happy. My 'misses' were all stupid like mis-aligned, etc. so I was hitting the ball well and putting was good. These iorns give good feedback with a reward on well hit shots. I was driving the ball good so I have plenty of various iron play. I still have no 'cons' for these irons. I would be careful on shaft selection. [b]These irons launch the ball high for me with the TT R300 shafts[/b]. [i] [/i]
[/quote]

Thanks again for the follow up.

I'm within hours of picking up my set - excited. I hit S300 to the same trajectory and distances as my present club mp62 w/NSPro950 REGULAR flex. I couldn't believe that I hit the S300 (heavy war club shaft LOL ) that well and opted for the NSPro990 instead....since I'm getting older, not younger. Hope I love them and that they simply fly higher, without "ballooning" or hurting. But i guess they really do shoot the ball up in the air.

Question: how is the chipping with a PW? Does the fat bottom interfere with the turf when chipping?
[/quote]

[quote name='peer' timestamp='1336036108' post='4838096']
[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1304050811' post='3195288']
I got out today for a quick 9 with wind but not too bad. It is due to get windier this weekend. I shot a 40 with the RAZR X Tour irons and they performed perfectly. At this stage of the season I was very happy. My 'misses' were all stupid like mis-aligned, etc. so I was hitting the ball well and putting was good. These iorns give good feedback with a reward on well hit shots. I was driving the ball good so I have plenty of various iron play. I still have no 'cons' for these irons. I would be careful on shaft selection. [b]These irons launch the ball high for me with the TT R300 shafts[/b]. [i] [/i]
[/quote]

Thanks again for the follow up.

I'm within hours of picking up my set - excited. I hit S300 to the same trajectory and distances as my present club mp62 w/NSPro950 REGULAR flex. I couldn't believe that I hit the S300 (heavy war club shaft LOL ) that well and opted for the NSPro990 instead....since I'm getting older, not younger. Hope I love them and that they simply fly higher, without "ballooning" or hurting. But i guess they really do shoot the ball up in the air.

Question: how is the chipping with a PW? Does the fat bottom interfere with the turf when chipping?
[/quote]

[/quote]Wat is your experience now with the nippon NSPro990 in the razr x tours? I am leaning to this shaft as well

[quote name='peer' timestamp='1336036273' post='4838098']
[quote name='peer' timestamp='1336036108' post='4838096']
[/quote]

[/quote]Wat is your experience now with the nippon NSPro990 in the razr x tours? I am leaning to this shaft as well
[/quote]

Like it a lot - it's what I wanted. Higher than the S300 and softer/easier to load. Very reliable/predictable. Highly recommend.

To all those getting all of the exta distance, have you checked the lofts. I am a callaway fan through and through, but seriously, branding these as a players cavity is crazy. 45* pw, really?

I really do not like the fact that they used the x tour name in these, as the original x tour irons were my favorite of all time.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

• 1 month later...

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1336097094' post='4844432']
To all those getting all of the exta distance, have you checked the lofts. I am a callaway fan through and through, but seriously, branding these as a players cavity is crazy. 45* pw, really?

I really do not like the fact that they used the x tour name in these, as the original x tour irons were my favorite of all time.
[/quote]

RAZR X Tours are positioned as the X line replace irrc, ie x20, 22 etc which were always generally strong lofted, ie 46* PW. Seems like more and more clubs in the moderate GI mold are coming in at 45*, ie the Diablo Forged, several in the RAZR line, even the Nike VR S Forged. Heck the Mizuno 800's have a 44* pw...sheesh.

It's a different world world now I guess, where the GW is becoming a requirement rather than an option. :(

Oh, and I thought mine looked like taper tips, based on a glance at the step patterns...but I could be mistaken. I will look again.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1339123636' post='5050692']
[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1336097094' post='4844432']

[/quote]

RAZR X Tours are positioned as the X line replace irrc, ie x20, 22 etc which were always generally strong lofted, ie 46* PW. Seems like more and more clubs in the moderate GI mold are coming in at 45*, ie the Diablo Forged, several in the RAZR line, even the Nike VR S Forged. Heck the Mizuno 800's have a 44* pw...sheesh.

It's a different world world now I guess, where the GW is becoming a requirement rather than an option. :(

Oh, and I thought mine looked like taper tips, based on a glance at the step patterns...but I could be mistaken. I will look again.
[/quote]

The razr x tours are only a degree stronger than my i5's were (except the 6 is 1.5 degrees stronger - but that's a ping thing). I switched over to the callaways after adding a GW and found the slightly stronger lofts made for better gapping - both between the Gap and PW as well as between the 4 and 3Hybrid.

It's also real easy to order them weak if you prefer the more traditional lofts.

[quote name='closetoscratch' timestamp='1339161786' post='5052066']
Anyone still playing these? Hate callaway but love the specs on these
[/quote]

Definately! except I decided to send them back to callaway to get the Swingweight tweaked after playing them a few months (they were at D4 with a custom shaft change). Now I'm stuck playing my pings and going crazy waiting to get them back :fie:

[quote name='closetoscratch' timestamp='1339161786' post='5052066']
Anyone still playing these? Hate callaway but love the specs on these
[/quote]

I also usually have an allergic reaction to Callaway but if you want low offset with forgiveness, this is the very best option IMHO. I am a 1 hdcp and usually try to hit a high straight ball and these do that excellently, but they will also fade, draw, and kockdown on command. (Disclaimer: I've always thought the whole use-blades-for-working-the-ball school of thought to be overrated. You get sidespin from having the face be non-perpendicular to the swing path at impact. No one I know purposefully hits off the sweetspot to work the ball, so what is the advantage of blades exactly? I wonder: has this ever been discussed before here on Golfwrx? :lol:) The clubheads on these are not huge but the forgiveness factor seems to be very high. Bend them a degree weak if the 45* PW freaks you out.

I've got maybe 20+ games in with them. Still loving them. It's just a great combo of little offset , great forgiveness, and great feedback.

SOOO many times when playing 2 balls I'll nut one and hit another in the 'meh' category. Difference between the two is usually under 10 yards. Only thing I'd change about them is too have more bitey grooves but I'm feeling this will pass.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1339123636' post='5050692']
[/quote]

And I would be wrong, I checked when regripping and they are definitely Parallell Tip "UDGS300I - 41", and they have the 2 3' steps up top as well.

Now, the real question is did Callaway tip to spec...assuming 1.25" hosel insertion I measure 8 5/8 tip to first step for the 4i, so will have to track down my tip chart to see if that is std tip measurement.

EDIT - looks dead on for tipping, assuming hosel insertion estimate is correct - 4i is 1.5" tip and 10.125 - 8.625 = 1.5"

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

• 7 months later...

I am interested in these great looking irons..
I play the old X-12 Pro series - will these be much tougher to handle ?
Thanks in advance.

Soren.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball