George Wright - Boston

festivus_01

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conditions - greens are generally good, some fairways are nice and some are very overgrown
Layout - Fun layout, some blind shots and good greens
Pace of play - depends on when you're out there, but generally it is slow
It does not remain open over the winter

Honestly, it's not that cheap and a pain to get to unless you live nearby (by nearby I mean Hyde Park, not Boston). If you're driving, it's probably just as fast to go 20 miles outside the city. $39 non-resident / $45 resident is not cheap. It's not expensive, but I wouldn't say it's cheap. Brookmeadow in Canton (25 min away), South Shore Country Club in Hingham (30 min away), Peabody Meadow (25 min away), Braintree (25 min away) are some more options, as are Wayland CC and Sandy Burr west of the city.

George Wright is worth playing once to see it - it's something to be appreciated for sure, just maybe not the best place to make a part of your weekly golf routine.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

I have somewhat of a different take than bryanr. I live in Brookline, so getting to George Wright is about 20 minutes for me, and it's the best muni that I've played that is relatively close to the center of Boston. It's the course that I played more than any other course last year, and it'll probably be the same way this year. The conditions in the fairways are hit or miss, but the greens are usually in pretty good shape, although a little bit on the slow side at times. There are some blind shots that really bothered me the first few times I played the course, but now I know where to hit it around there. One big caveat: I have a job where I can play George Wright on the weekdays, so there is usually not much traffic out there when I go there. On Monday-Thursday, they don't even take tee times, it's first-come first-serve. I've walked 18 holes by myself in just under 3 hours on the weekday morning there.

It's 6400 yards from the tips and par-70, but plays shorter than that because more holes play downhill than uphill. Downhill holes: 5, 7, 9, 12, 15. Uphill holes are 8, 11, and 16. Oh, one other thing, they usually have outings there on Mondays and Fridays from 8 AM to 2 PM, so you can't really get tee times at those times. Also, I think they have leagues on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Awesome greens and bunkers, challenging layout. Service and fairways need some improvement. They redid one hole on the back 9 last year (13th I think) I played it the first day it was opened. Pretty nice.

The clubhouse is stunning architecturally, feels like you are stepping back in time. I play here 2-3 times a year in the morning before work. One of my favorite courses.

[quote name='arydolphin' timestamp='1303876781' post='3189147']
I have somewhat of a different take than bryanr. I live in Brookline, so getting to George Wright is about 20 minutes for me, and it's the best muni that I've played that is relatively close to the center of Boston. It's the course that I played more than any other course last year, and it'll probably be the same way this year. The conditions in the fairways are hit or miss, but the greens are usually in pretty good shape, although a little bit on the slow side at times. There are some blind shots that really bothered me the first few times I played the course, but now I know where to hit it around there. One big caveat: I have a job where I can play George Wright on the weekdays, so there is usually not much traffic out there when I go there. On Monday-Thursday, they don't even take tee times, it's first-come first-serve. I've walked 18 holes by myself in just under 3 hours on the weekday morning there.

It's 6400 yards from the tips and par-70, but plays shorter than that because more holes play downhill than uphill. Downhill holes: 5, 7, 9, 12, 15. Uphill holes are 8, 11, and 16. Oh, one other thing, they usually have outings there on Mondays and Fridays from 8 AM to 2 PM, so you can't really get tee times at those times. Also, I think they have leagues on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, though I'm not 100% sure about that.
[/quote]

Thanks for the added info. You've played George Wright much more than I have so your feedback should be weighed heavier for sure. I wish it was slightly easier to get there or to Franklin Park by public transit but for people who don't have to weave through some of the more congested areas it's probably a nice drive.

[quote name='festivus_01' timestamp='1304017155' post='3193830']
Thank you both. Good info. I'm moving to Boston in the fall and will play a few places before I decide how to go about 2012.
[/quote]

Hope you find some good places. Drop me a pm if you'd like to go out, I'd be happy to meet up for a round when you get here.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on George Wright for people looking to go out there, I've played there twice in the past couple of weeks. First of all, the greens are now in pretty good shape after they were punched a month ago. The staff is working on 2 bunkers at the front of the 3rd green, and have fences up surrounding those greens. If you hit your ball in those bunkers, you can't go in and get them. Also, they are doing a bunch of work on the hill to the right of the 16th green, so they are not using the regular green on 16, they have a flag stuck into the fairway about 50 yards short of the green. It makes that hole pretty silly, just write down 4 on your scorecard and move along. They are also working on putting in a new bunker to the right of the 12th green, but you can still play to that green. It's nice to see the city putting money into the course, even though it affects play a little bit.

Also, with all of the recent rain, the rough is very thick in spots. I had some trouble finding balls that I had hit into the rough a couple of days ago, even when I knew the general area where they had gone.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BBKB1217' timestamp='1306935535' post='3277124']
George wright is a fantastic layout. I was shocked when I played it about a month ago. 1st 2 holes dont leave much to the imagination, but it only gets better from there.

its great they are putting money into the course.
[/quote]

If The Wright had Private CC budget it would be the best Donald Ross Course in Boston! Used to play there every weekend when I lived in Southie!! I think i might have to make a trip and Play The Wright!!

Btw...played 9 holes at Triggs in Providence and It was in great shape! another Ross classic!

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

• 6 months later...

Hey, was a member last year at South Shore but they just jacked up the prices like 300% for young professionals....thinking of going elsewhere but looking for a consistent weekend morning outing with a great group of guys and a few tournaments thrown in there....Live in South Boston and George Wright has a great rate for residents. Would you or anyone recommend getting a membership there, or as they call it, "season pass?" Also, anyone have any input on the B.A.G.S. outings/membership?!

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated!
[quote name='Dbogey' timestamp='1310957434' post='3399926']
[quote name='BBKB1217' timestamp='1306935535' post='3277124']
George wright is a fantastic layout. I was shocked when I played it about a month ago. 1st 2 holes dont leave much to the imagination, but it only gets better from there.

its great they are putting money into the course.
[/quote]

If The Wright had Private CC budget it would be the best Donald Ross Course in Boston! Used to play there every weekend when I lived in Southie!! I think i might have to make a trip and Play The Wright!!

Btw...played 9 holes at Triggs in Providence and It was in great shape! another Ross classic!

Dbogey
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

I played River Bend in Bridgewater for years. A good deal at $62 with a cart on weekends. Not a bad hop from Boston in the AM, on Rte 106, off Rte 24. I think it is a better value than Presidents, Braintree, South Shore to name some of the tracks close to Boston South Shore options as they all cost about the same.

BAGS is there once or twice a year. They go off in the afternoon. From what the staff said, and I knew the staff well from being there for years, the BAGS rounds were VERY SLOW. Not sure what the bang for the buck is with BAGS - it is privately run - but might be a good way to get out if you don't know anyone and want to get into a regular routine. BAGS goes to different courses and charges vary by course.

And that's the thing that's drawing me to Bags-RI... being able to play a different course every weekend, without being told "sorry, tournament", "members only in the morning (for semi-private)", "we only book foursomes", "no availablity for a single" or "tee times are all booked up". I've heard them all. Down here, there's not the huge selection of good courses to choose from. Doing so as a single, even harder.

I got 4 others to join also, so we're going to do 2-3 a month. And the weekends they don't want to? I'll have somewhere to play. It breaks up the routine "where do you wanna play this weekend", figuring it out, calling around only to end up with "oh, everyplace is booked. Let's go to our regular place (decent muni but 1st come 1st serve)."

There's a few courses during the week I'll play, but time off from work is scarce when planning vacation time later in the year and other commitments.

BAGS is also tournament style golf. So I have no expectations on speed. If it happens, it happens.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 2 months later...

Can anyone specifically compare and contrast what George Wright and Franklin Park are looking like these days?

I live in Southie but generally avoid these areas, they are neither the nicest nor the easiest to get to. Hyde Park especially seems to be hard to get to from just about anywhere.

I tend to travel to play my golf on the weekends, whether it be the Plymouth courses, Newport National or Red Tail. On weekdays and for quick rounds I have gotten to be a big fan of Presidents. I have been in Boston 7 years and tried most of the munis, maybe all but Franklin Park, and settled on Presidents. Since then Presidents as both improved its conditioning by quite a good bit and has also lowered, or at least restructured, the pricing.

I have heard that one or both of the Boston city courses have been revamped a bit recently?? I drove by Franklin Park the other day and it looked pretty nice from the pics on the website, even better than George Wright.

I will say that since I play a lot of twilight golf, despite being similar distances from my place, I don't think I'd feel as comfortable at Franklin as compared to Presidents - no matter how nice it is these days.

Can anyone compare and contrast?

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1337725633' post='4960588']
Can anyone specifically compare and contrast what George Wright and Franklin Park are looking like these days?

I live in Southie but generally avoid these areas, they are neither the nicest nor the easiest to get to. Hyde Park especially seems to be hard to get to from just about anywhere.

I tend to travel to play my golf on the weekends, whether it be the Plymouth courses, Newport National or Red Tail. On weekdays and for quick rounds I have gotten to be a big fan of Presidents. I have been in Boston 7 years and tried most of the munis, maybe all but Franklin Park, and settled on Presidents. Since then Presidents as both improved its conditioning by quite a good bit and has also lowered, or at least restructured, the pricing.

I have heard that one or both of the Boston city courses have been revamped a bit recently?? I drove by Franklin Park the other day and it looked pretty nice from the pics on the website, even better than George Wright.

I will say that since I play a lot of twilight golf, despite being similar distances from my place, I don't think I'd feel as comfortable at Franklin as compared to Presidents - no matter how nice it is these days.

Can anyone compare and contrast?
[/quote]

I've played all three, but haven't been up to GW this year which is my favorite of the three. I would have to agree with you that it is difficult to get to Hyde Park, but if i'm heading to that area, I'm playing GW over Franklin. I played Franklin for the first time earlier this year, and was not a huge fan. As for Presidents, I have a few friends that are members up there so I joined the Mens Association for my GHIN and play in weekend pro shop tournaments. Not a bad track, and in good shape, couple funky holes, but challenging and rewarding.

• 1 year later...

I started playing with BAGS last year. It's perfect for me, I get to play a bunch of different courses and I don't have to worry about getting a tee time. You just send an email and you're in. I wish I had found it 15 or 20 years ago as I don’t have many friends that golf.

It's tournament golf - everything in the hole - so it can be slow. If the pace of play bothers you check out the Tour of Boston. Very similar to BAGS except the have a strict pace of play policy. They also tend to play on nicer (more $$$) courses.

Rogue Tensei White
TSi2 15* Tensei White
TSi2 18* Tensei White
TSi2 21* Tensei White
G425 5 - LW AWT 2.0
Seemore mFGP

The thing that Killd those travelling tour things are the long rounds. Did Bags. Did CT AM Tour (Breviously Bags CT). 5+ hour rounds wore thin on the patience, especially when it was 85-90* out and we're waiting for people to read their putts from 5 different positions on the green for a 10 foot putt, and then another 5 positions for a 1 foot foot putt because they missed.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 1 month later...

Which course has the better layout? Wright or Devine?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

[quote name='brtnsbs' timestamp='1400591290' post='9330615']
George Wright by a mile.
[/quote]It's not that bad, only a couple hundred yards.

--kC
(Be sure to tip your waitress. I'll be here all night)

I'm glad to hear people still enjoy George Wright. I grew up in Boston, but moved away 20 years ago, and played there all the time when I was in high school and college. I enjoyed Franklin Park Too.

I have to ask, Has Leo J Martin improved? It had potential, but was never in good shape, and was pace of play nightmare.

I played here for the first time last weekend and was very impressed by the layout. Very reminiscent of Yale Golf Course. Lots of challenging holes and a few blind tee shots which require local knowledge. You can also use this detailed hole by hole review for guidance: [url="http://www.cognizantgolf.com/george-wright-golf-course.html"]http://www.cognizant...olf-course.html[/url]

The conditions were pretty good despite the greens being punched a week prior. The greens were a bit bumpy. but everything appeared to be growing in nicely. The white and blue tees were moved up to the ladies tees boxes on #1 and #5 as they were redoing the white/blue tee boxes.

I'll definitely be playing here again.

Cobra Fly Z+ Diamana D+ 60s
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3W 14.5 Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 80s
Adams Pro Hybrid 18*
Titleist 913H 21*
Mizuno MP 32 4-PW S300
Odyssey Versa Works #1W
Vokey SM5 F Grind 52, SM5 M Grind 58
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1293204-turberticus-witb-2016/"][color=#000080]WITB 2016[/color][/url]
[url="https://www.gamegolf.com/player/turberticus"][color=#000080]Gamegolf[/color][/url]

[quote name='Turberticus' timestamp='1400598927' post='9331513']

The conditions were pretty good despite the greens being punched a week prior. The greens were a bit bumpy. but everything appeared to be growing in nicely. The white and blue tees were moved up to the ladies tees boxes on #1 and #5 as they were redoing the white/blue tee boxes.

I'll definitely be playing here again.
[/quote]

Just played GW for the first time this year and can't wait for the new tee boxes to open on 5 and 7. 5 is a tough dogleg right par 4 where you can't really hit driver and now will be a touch longer. 7 can now play 40+ yards longer turning it into a nasty hole as well. I played with a guy who has the city membership and plays in their morning weekend leagues and he said the end game is to try to get a ladies event or champions tour event there in a few years. With the money they are putting in I hope it comes to fruition because GW has been improved markedly since I started playing it 5 years ago.

They are also increasing green sizes on a few of the holes after looking at old maps of the course. All in all very happy with the updates and would definitely recommend playing here if you have the chance.

• 5 months later...

We played Geo Wright and loved it!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)