2011 Exotics CB4 Tour 3 wood Pics...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 15 degree 3 wood with a Kai'li 80 xstiff, and this is by far the best 3 wood, that I've played. My previous 3 wood was a CB2 with VS proto. The CB4 is a lot easier to hit off the fairway.

Titleist TSi3 9* Mitsubishi Tensei White
Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 wood Ventus Blue
Ping G400 3H
PXG 0311X 4 iron Graphite Design AD-DI
PXG 0311P Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
TM MG2 54*
Titleist SM8 58T
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really interested in trying one.

I have a R7 TP now and just isn't forgiving enough for me.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• 5 weeks later...

Picking mine up on Monday and heading right to the course....It'll be going up against my R11 TP 14* Fubuki Alpha 80X ( CB4 15* RIP Sigma 70X )

I'll have a full review after Tuesday

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

[quote name='Golfchicago' timestamp='1314451884' post='3523045']
In my bag all summer. Just compared it to the G20. Not even close. It is still the most forgiving and easiest to elevate, period. It is a great club to hit under pressure, very, very forgiving. Misses are better than any 3 wood I have evr hit. Worth every nickel!
[/quote]

I agree...I've spent the last several years trying to find the perfect 3 wood that is easy to elevate from the deck, forgiving, and won't balloon off the tee. The $300 is well worth it for this club. I've had it in the bag for about 10 weeks now & can't say enough good things about it!

Taylormade SIM2 9°, PX HZRDUS RDX Black 70 6.5

Callaway Epic 14°, PX HC HZRDUS Black 75 6.5

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 18°, UST Attas 5GoGo 8X

Titleist 2019 T100 (4-GW), Project X 6.0, +1/4"

Titleist Vokey SM8 54.12(D), 60.08(M), Project X 6.0, + 1/4"

Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie S, 35"

[quote name='keith723' timestamp='1314456712' post='3523161']
In my bag all summer. Just compared it to the G20. Not even close. It is still the most forgiving and easiest to elevate, period. It is a great club to hit under pressure, very, very forgiving. Misses are better than any 3 wood I have evr hit. Worth every nickel!
[/quote]

I agree...I've spent the last several years trying to find the perfect 3 wood that is easy to elevate from the deck, forgiving, and won't balloon off the tee. The $300 is well worth it for this club. I've had it in the bag for about 10 weeks now & can't say enough good things about it!
[/quote]

How do you guys like the RIP Sigma? I ordered a RIP 70X. If it doesn't work well, I have a Kai'Li 70X on deck

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

[quote name='vix02' timestamp='1314505196' post='3524614']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you guys like the RIP Sigma? I ordered a RIP 70X. If it doesn't work well, I have a Kai'Li 70X on deck
[/quote]

I like it okay. I have it in Stiff flex and kinda wish I would have bought it in X. Overall it is stable and I'm hitting it well but it does feel a bit loose when I try to go after it. I'm afraid to change it though since I haven't had this good of luck with a 3 wood before...also, I usually am trying to swing smooth with a 3 wood and shouldn't be trying to crush it anyway...when I just swing at 85%-90% the shaft holds up just fine and I get a great trajectory off the deck. Same thing off the tee, just a nice mid/high flight but still penetrating and I get great roll-out.

Picked up demos of the 3W and Hybrid 19 CB4 tour w/ RIP 80s....

Still haven't had much luck with the hybrid, but I damn near double eagled a 520y par 5 today --and I don't hit it that long. Hit a big drive for me 260 (G15, 10.5 Serrano S) and hit that damn 3W the same distance --rolled right past the hole about 10 ft and missed the eagle by a nat. Hit the same club on the range and noticed it seemed longer, better boring ball flight, and hit it twice today and broke 80 for a change. That 3w figured in two birdied par 5s.

I am sure the shaft is a RIP 80 s, but the specs online don't seem to support that configuration. Am I blind? Would I hit it even better in the 70?

[quote name='808Grinder' timestamp='1311797223' post='3429339']
I just bought one and will report back later.
[/quote]

I bought a 15 degree CB4 with a Diammana Blue Board stiff shaft and just hit the darn thing too high. The head seem hotter, lighter and easier to get the ball in the air, but I am going back to CB3 13 degree with the Motocore stock shaft for now. If anyone has any suggestions for a low trajectory shaft to put in the head please PM me. I use a Matrix Ozik X-Con shaft in my driver if that helps. I would also consider selling it too.

• 4 weeks later...

Just put this in my bag, shafted up with a Matrix Ozik Altus Low Torque.

55475544.jpg

Side-by-side comparison with my Titleist 910f,

27874074.jpg

To say it's long would be an understatement.

It sure looks great! The comparison pic with the 910F is that a 4 or 3w 910F?

Just swapped my 910FD 3w-head to a 910F, mostly because of trajectory diff, and I didnt get along with the FD from the deck.

Do you have some numbers on distance diff between the CB4 and 910F?

Qwik

[quote name='Qwiksilfver' timestamp='1316599196' post='3579335']
It sure looks great! The comparison pic with the 910F is that a 4 or 3w 910F?Just swapped my 910FD 3w-head to a 910F, mostly because of trajectory diff, and I didnt get along with the FD from the deck.Do you have some numbers on distance diff between the CB4 and 910F?Qwik
[/quote]

The 910 is a 15* 3 wood. The TEE is 10-15 yards longer, even though it is 16.5*. Different shafts, but with same length.

[quote name='vix02' timestamp='1314505196' post='3524614']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love it. It works great for me. What is crazy is how high I can hit it when I need to. I was playing Bull Valley cc the other day and had to cut a corner over some trees on a par 5 and I hit a perfect shot. It easily elevated over the trees. I didn't have that with any other three wood head/shaft combo. There is no doubt you will agree this is the most forgiving three wood.

[b][size="4"]Look for the Exotics XCG-5 fairway wood that is coming in November to have a 3+ version in an 11.5 degree loft.[/size][/b]

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1304480860' post='3206567']I still prefer the look of the first two gens, but it looks long as ever. I wish they'd just get it over with and release these things in driver lofts. I'd probably actually buy one.
[/quote]

It's no secret to some of you here that I'm a huge advocate of the CB1 and like the CB2 even more. So much in fact that in over four years I've never found another fairway wood to replace the two I was bagging. I actually have two CB2 3 woods that I alternate in the bag depending on the course conditions I'm gonna face. A 13* with a 83X Blueboard and a 15* with a 83X Whiteboard. And a 5WD that is the most dependable club I've [u]EVER[/u] hit. Now the only reason I was even trying different 3WDs is because the 13* is a difficult SOB (JMHO)to hit off the deck and I felt that I could do a little better than what I was getting from the 15. For lack of a better word, I was getting too much air.

I didn't really care for the CB3. It wasn't a bad offering but just didn't seem as solid as the deuce.

Then I played a tournament the other day with a guy who had a CB4 13* with a 70X Aldila RIP. I hit it on the range after the first day of the tournament and I was impressed. Although it seems to have a lower profile and smaller footprint, it is just as soild as the CB2 and was so easy to launch. So I ordered a 13* and when it arrived a couple of days later, I took it to the range.

The head is solid and it seems to give me the best of both worlds of my CB2's with the penetrating, wind-beating flight of the 13 and the ease of launch and soft landing of the 15. The shaft was a little soft and spinny for me and played more like a Stiff than X. So I changed to a Mugen Blue 75X @ 43" untipped and with a little lead tape and a tip weight(D8)it feels and behaves exactly like I want. It's a small headed driver off the tee and launches like a hybrid off the deck. In my measurements, it's a fraction longer than my CB2s, but only by an eyelash.

Anyway, I think the CB4 is a winner and have placed it in the bag. It recently helped me post the best score I've shot in 27 years by contributing 6 shots to a 63 (tied my personal best). Don't be put-off by the pricetag. It's worth it!

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

• 1 month later...

Well I got tired of the stock shaft (RIP Sigma 70-S), I was becoming more inconsistent with it and felt I just needed something a bit more stable. I have the 15* CB4 Tour model.

I ended up talking with Mitsubishi and went with the Fubuki AX f75 in X flex, standard install (1/2" tipping) at 43". I wanted to make sure that I still went with a fairway wood shaft that helps the ball up off the deck a bit and wouldn't balloon off the tee.

So far, I'm really liking this combo. The shaft is very stable but definitely does not feel boardy. I can see the benefits of having a shaft that was specifically designed for a fairway wood in this head. I'm getting very good results with it. Extremely easy to elevate from the deck and it comes off like a rocket. I hit a few shots off the tee with it that were within 5 yards of my driver.

The practice facility that I go to is only about 260 yards deep and there is a tall net at the back of it. On some days I can fly it with my driver but they had the tees back so it was closer to 270 yards deep yesterday. I hit my driver a few times that flew into the middle of the net in the air.

After that I took out the 15* CB4/Fubuki Ax combo and hit it to the base of the net and hit the net after the first bounce. This has got to be the longest 3 wood out there. A couple of them I hit off the toe and I still didn't lose much distance so not only is it a bomber but it is very forgiving.

Great looking club (jet black head looks great against the white shaft) and it performs well. Only negative is it might be too long! The shaft change really helped make this club go from great to just about perfect.

Hey guys,

So I was lucky enough to find a CB4 in brand new condition for $116 total......so I picked one up. This is the first time I've tried kicking out my beloved CB1 3 wood. What better way to replace a TEE fairway than with a new TEE fairway.

Let me preface this by saying, I thought there was no way I could replace my CB1. My only major issue with my CB1 is that it is very difficult to hit off of the fairway. With a perfect lie, I hit it well, but any less than perfect lie could be ugly.

Anyhow, I have two rounds (limited, I know) under my belt with the CB4 and here is what I've gathered thus far:
Took me about two tee shots to figure out its personality. Sets up fairly similar to the CB1 only a little more shallow face and a wider footprint.
Ball flight off the tee- Just as good, if not slightly better than the CB1. Slightly higher, which is a good thing.
Distance- Wow, long just like the CB1. I could be wrong, but I dare say it may even be 5-10 yards longer. Hit it in the cold and windy conditions and was in a few spots I just don't remember being in.
Fairway performance- TBD but I think it is a bit easier to hit than my CB1. To be honest, I didn't need to hit it very often at my home course because I've been bombing my driver and hybrid.
So far, I think this club has a serious chance of dethroning my CB1. Honeymoon may still be in session, so we'll see. So far I really like the setup, look, feel and even the bit heavier 80g shaft.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Oh, BTW...... I was very hesitent to buy this club because earlier in the year, I tried it with the stock RIP shaft option (on course demo in Myrtle) and couldn't hit the thing worth a damn. Was hitting it oddly high and right.

The one I bought though has the stock motore shaft in it.......so maybe that could be the reason for my success now.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Through my fourth round now with this three wood and i'm SUPER pumped. I hit it 6 times today and only missed one fairway. 1 of the 6 shots was on a par 5 from about 260 out, up hill, into the wind....hit a perfect burner on the right side of the green. To anyone that has the CB1 and is afraid to switch....GO FOR IT, it is pretty nasty. Basically im getting EXACTLY the ball flight i was hoping for...(compared to the CB1) slightly higher off the tee, more forgiveness and easier to hit off the fairway. Loving it.