2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno Irons # 1

Richter

Hi Guys.

I have been a long time lurker, but just signed up today. I was recently involved in a discussion with some fellow golfers and one of them indicated that Mizuno irons are the #1 most played iron on the PGA tour. Now, I have nothing against Mizuno and I believe they make a great product. However, from what I have seen while reviewing all of the awesome bag pictures that people post on this site, I have to believe that Mizuno is not the #1 iron on tour. From what I have seen in the thousands and thousands of those pictures is that the irons in the bags typically match the sponsors name on the bag. The woods, and maybe the wedges, might be different, but usually the iron match the sponsor on the bag. If my observations are correct, that would mean that Mizuno is actually really an underdog when it comes to irons played in the PGA. I can only think of a few players...Luke Donald, CH3, and Byrd. Are my observations correct or are many pros secretly using Mizuno irons? Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most guys play what they are payed to play. Taylormade & Titleist being 1 & 2 I'm sure, if somebody actually tallied the numbers.

I guess if Mizzy wanted to they could sponsor more players. But they have big markets in other sports and their irons are so good they do not feel the need to have every tour pro playing them to get average Joe sayin "I wanna play those because my favorite player is" unlike Taylormade who takes the time to put there own graphics on all the r9/r11 shafts so you think your shaft is the same as the pros.

Mizzys fan base seems to be the better players market and they probably sell more 800 Pros and MP line then the 800s because average Joe will probably buy the Burner 2.0s / Razr X if they want forgiveness / distance.

The guy just wanted clarification. Why don't you post something worth contributing to a topic ^. From my knowledge Titleist is #1 in irons for the moment. Mizuno might be #1 on witb for golfwrx

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='clutchputt71' timestamp='1304461963' post='3205715']
Mizuno was the number one irons on tour in the late 80's and through the late 90's. [/quote]

I think they were number one before all the $ started coming into play. I think when I bought my Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2's, the box said something about Mizuno being the #1 iron or something like that.

We are so sorry for having a little fun! ...

If you only knew about the power of Zolex............BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! POOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Mizuno does get alot of play on tour.....but TM pays more money to play their clubs, and Titleist still has this eliteist vibe that makes everyone think they HAVE to use a Titleist club to be a "real golfer".....with that being said I play Titleist Irons, Wedges, and a Cameron Putter.....so as the great Dewey Cox said....."Guilty as Charged".

[quote name='ecsugolf1' timestamp='1304462480' post='3205749']
The guy just wanted clarification. Why don't you post something worth contributing to a topic ^. From my knowledge Titleist is #1 in irons for the moment. Mizuno might be #1 on witb for golfwrx
[/quote]

[quote name='jdg2494' timestamp='1304462080' post='3205729']
Also, most guys on tour play The Hammer driver. I heard the USGA is going to ban the use of Zolex in golf clubs because of the potential of 1000 yard drives!

BOOM! POW!
[/quote]

I laugh my idiot head off every time we talk about that driver. I hate that guy...except for his 80's outfit and 70's hair.

Mizuno, while being the greatest iron on effing earth, is not number one on the tour. I'd have to think in terms of a company, it's TaylorMade....but a specific iron? Maybe the AP2's...or i15.

[/quote]

I was just joking...didn't know you were the thread topic police...

[quote name='BlueDL' timestamp='1304463619' post='3205805']
[/quote]

[/quote]

:cheesy:

Thanks for the confirmation on this guys. I knew there was no way that Mizuno could be #1. Thanks to all of the great bag pictureson this site, I think I have seen just about every players bag. I have personally never played Mizuno's, but they I play with several guys who do and they feel very nice. I just can't seem to part with my Srixon i302's. Thanks again.

[quote name='Richter' timestamp='1304464192' post='3205817']
Thanks for the confirmation on this guys. I knew there was no way that Mizuno could be #1. Thanks to all of the great bag pictureson this site, I think I have seen just about every players bag. I have personally never played Mizuno's, but they I play with several guys who do and they feel very nice. I just can't seem to part with my Srixon i302's. Thanks again.
[/quote]

mizunos are number one for the people who know...:birthday:

pretty much the #1 iron on the tour will be whichever oem pays the most players as a sponsor to be #1. Most OEM's require the player to play X number of their clubs, usually irons. Most often, woods/putters/wedges/balls get switched up by the player if they have a choice.

So saying something is #1 on tour is really biased to some degree.... Just sayin...

[quote name='BlueDL' timestamp='1304462239' post='3205737']
Spin Doctor wedges are the most played on tour as well. Trust me...I know a guy.
[/quote]

LMAO; I see that notation on here all the time..."I know someone, who knows someone, who spoke to the guy who knows the guy he once saw near the tour van that said so."

As for Mizuno, they don't use that advertising anymore, but did back in the 90's. I also don't believe they made mention to which tour...they meant ALL tours, including the Japanese tour...clever messaging.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Richter' timestamp='1304461011' post='3205668']
Hi Guys.

I have been a long time lurker, but just signed up today. I was recently involved in a discussion with some fellow golfers and one of them indicated that Mizuno irons are the #1 most played iron on the PGA tour. Now, I have nothing against Mizuno and I believe they make a great product. However, from what I have seen while reviewing all of the awesome bag pictures that people post on this site, I have to believe that Mizuno is not the #1 iron on tour. From what I have seen in the thousands and thousands of those pictures is that the irons in the bags typically match the sponsors name on the bag. The woods, and maybe the wedges, might be different, but usually the iron match the sponsor on the bag. If my observations are correct, that would mean that Mizuno is actually really an underdog when it comes to irons played in the PGA. I can only think of a few players...Luke Donald, CH3, and Byrd. Are my observations correct or are many pros secretly using Mizuno irons? Thanks.
[/quote]

They used to be consistently #1 based on the weekly Darrell Survey (which provides the actual count of types of clubs/balls/equipment played by each pro at each tournament). In the "old days" OEMs didn't pay players to play their clubs - and I guess when left to their own preferences, Mizuno was often #1 each week. But that was when OEMs did NOT PAY their pros to play certain clubs. It gave the public the impression that pros, if they have a personal choice, chose Mizuno.

Nowadays you have pay-to-play clubs so while the Darrell Survey is still relevant, it is potentially skewed. They understand very well that people are lemmings and will "play what the pros play". It's worked miracles. :)

Most people read that another OEM is "best" and that Mizuno has gotten worse. I doubt either position is true.

I am not uptight or a thread police for the post below. I laughed at your comments, I just think it is appropriate or fitting to possibly answer the concern the OP had. With that being said it is easy for threads to turn into everyone joking and then the OP never finds out the answer. All for having fun, being a community, and having different opinions.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Hasnt Callaway been pumping up the #1 irons in golf recently? Has that gone by the wayside already?

Plus like many have already said, it is a skewed stat because most OEMs have the players play their irons so, whoever has the most staff and plays the most will obviously be the top iron by quantity not always quality. Kinda like TM and the drivers. It would be interesting though if sponsors allowed players to play what equipment they want but just dress and have a bag with their name. Then I really wonder what would be top digs.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not about thread police it's about making a contribution. I for one am sick and tired of people posting worthless crap in legitimate postings. This isn't high school. If you can't add to a post keep your BS to yourself. I am obviously not the only one that feels this way.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood and Heavenwood
Callaway XR 4 Hybrid and 5 Hybrid
Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW
Callaway MD3 54S and 60W Wedges
Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser Counterbalance Putter

Regarding this topic....Mizuno is not the number iron played on the PGA Tour, used to be but not now.

Regarding the pay for play....I spoke to Luke Donald after a sand shot clinic one time, and I asked him what do the other tour players say when he puts new clubs in the bag. He said almost weekly someone tour player will come to his bag grab a club out, waggle it a few time, and then say, "man...I wish they paid me to play these"

Cool story for us Mizzy Staffers

TM Qi10 LS GD Tour AD IZ-6s
Titleist TS3 13.5 GD Tour AD TP-7s

PXG Gen 2 19* GD Tour AD-di 95x

Mizuno MP64 DGs30 3-PW
Cleveland Zipcore 50,54,56

White Hot pro 7h (butane finish)

[quote name='jaiello' timestamp='1304482792' post='3206629']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not about thread police it's about making a contribution. I for one am sick and tired of people posting worthless crap in legitimate postings. This isn't high school. If you can't add to a post keep your BS to yourself. I am obviously not the only one that feels this way.
[/quote]

This just in guys, NO FUN ALLOWED ON GOLFWRX! Keep it serious guys.

I'm getting sick and tired of people on forums getting pissed over stupid crap like this. I swear if someone accidentally posts something in the wrong place, double posts on accident, or tries to make a few people laugh, someone is there in no time to rip their head off. Sorry I wanted to have some fun, I will be boring and robotic from now on.