Can anyone recommend a cheap, classic GI iron for me to try?

MGPT

Two Eye2 Questions:

I need irons 2* flat. Are the orange dots 2.25* flat? I know it says so on the ping website, but because theyre so old I was just checking they weren't changed at some point in the 90's.

Also, is it easy to install new shafts? And can anyone recommend a nice shaft to work with these. My Driver SS is 95ish and I've been told I'm borderline regular/stiff for irons.

Thanks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 2-PW set of Tileist DCI 962's at Play It Again Sports in Hoover for $72, all in great condition, and I love them!! I am a high handicap and they are just the right mix of forgiveness and irons that force me to get better.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=3]Ping G 12* SFT[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Callaway XR Pro 14* 3W[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Callway X 2008 2H[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=3]Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4-GW[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Titleist Vokey SM6 54* & 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron GoLo S5 34" w/SS Flatso 2.0 XL[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='MPellow' timestamp='1306682687' post='3270604']
some nice suggestions. Any Hogan irons fall into this category?
[/quote]

I learned to play on a set of Hogan Edge GCD (Graduated Cavity Design) cast clubs from around 1995. They are great clubs! They have a mid-sized head with only moderate offset and a classic shape. They are very forgiving without looking like a shovel.
Hogan also made a forged version call the GCD Tour. The Tours had smaller heads and a little less offset. I knew someone who had that model and they felt awesome. Of course, they were a little less forgiving due to the smaller head.
I'm always watching them on eBay (in the US). They're there and for less than US $150. I'm sure one day I'll pull the trigger. If you like the Hogan brand and looking for a great value, I don't think you can go wrong with the Edge GCD.

[/quote]

[quote name='los36' timestamp='1306807714' post='3273675']
[/quote]

I learned to play on a set of Hogan Edge GCD (Graduated Cavity Design) cast clubs from around 1995. They are great clubs! They have a mid-sized head with only moderate offset and a classic shape. They are very forgiving without looking like a shovel.
Hogan also made a forged version call the GCD Tour. The Tours had smaller heads and a little less offset. I knew someone who had that model and they felt awesome. Of course, they were a little less forgiving due to the smaller head.
I'm always watching them on eBay (in the US). They're there and for less than US $150. I'm sure one day I'll pull the trigger. If you like the Hogan brand and looking for a great value, I don't think you can go wrong with the Edge GCD.
[/quote]

Hogan BH-5 irons are good, if you can find them. Either offset or non-offset, depending on your preference.

Cobra Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Titleist Ts2 16/Elements Wind 8f5

Srixon u85 20/Recoil 95

Srixon z785 4-pw/Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland Rtx4 50, 54, 60/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='MPellow' timestamp='1306752239' post='3272194']
Two Eye2 Questions:

I need irons 2* flat. Are the orange dots 2.25* flat? I know it says so on the ping website, but because theyre so old I was just checking they weren't changed at some point in the 90's.

Also, is it easy to install new shafts? And can anyone recommend a nice shaft to work with these. My Driver SS is 95ish and I've been told I'm borderline regular/stiff for irons.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Yes, the color code was changed. Not sure when, but it was not all that long ago. You can find the info here: [url="http://reviews.ebay.com/PING-Golf-Club-Fitting-amp-Golf-Club-Fitting-In-General_W0QQugidZ10000000004890646"]http://reviews.ebay....000000004890646[/url]

The Eye 2+s fall under the old color code. I play red dot in the irons, orange dot in the SW and LW. If you go the bay route and do buy some Eye 2's, try and get the serial number before you purchase and email PING to verify the color code is correct. Some people will take less desired lie angles (brown dot or white dot) and actually repaint the color code to something that sells better. Also, I would only buy all original (minus the grip) PINGs, in regards to the Eye 2+, unless you desire a specific shaft like a DG S300. If you don't like them, they resell better with the original head/shaft combo. My PING Eye 2+s have the ZZ-Lite shafts, and while I initially didn't like them, I've really warmed up to how they play. Which is odd, because I think I had a set of Eye 2s with ZZ-Lite shafts, and I hated how the felt. Regardless, my driver SS is about 98 mph, and I'm also usually between a R and S flex on my irons. I've never reshafted PINGs, so I can't comment there.

Edit: Fixed some info.

This thread made me think. Took my Eye 2+ out of the garage and hit the course today. Let's just say that they are all 1 club short compared to my G15's and very precise up to 8 Iron. The spin and green holding abilities are NICE - better than G15's possibly due to old grooves. However, and here's the dealbreaker honestly, anything more than 7 iron woefully lacks distance. 3 iron goes as far as my G15 5-iron...

So up to 140 yards or so Eye2s are fine for me but modern G15s smoke them past that.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='MPellow' timestamp='1306752239' post='3272194']
Two Eye2 Questions:

Thanks!

[/quote]
Grab the orange, you won't have a problem.

Yes they are easy to install new shafts, .355 taper tip with no ferrule to deal with. Try to find a set with the JZ shaft... very smooth with a nice mid ball flight. My favorite aftermarket shaft in Eye 2/+'s is the Rifle FCM shaft, (not Project X) they feel great in old Pings and kick through the impact zone, maybe a 5.5 flex with that 95mph ss? Throw some Prosoft inserts in them and you will have a sweet set of sticks.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1306830847' post='3274295']
This thread made me think. Took my Eye 2+ out of the garage and hit the course today. Let's just say that they are all 1 club short compared to my G15's and very precise up to 8 Iron. The spin and green holding abilities are NICE - better than G15's possibly due to old grooves. However, and here's the dealbreaker honestly, anything more than 7 iron woefully lacks distance. 3 iron goes as far as my G15 5-iron...

So up to 140 yards or so Eye2s are fine for me but modern G15s smoke them past that.
[/quote]

I played with my old Eye 2's today and I was surprised how well I hit them. First time I have hit them in a full round in years. They felt very solid, not as long but solid. Not going to replace my Burner 2.0's, but I do plan to play them every so often. Just for a change and when I fell nostalgic. ;)

My senior bag.......

Callaway Rogue  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
Taylormade SIM2  7-g irons ventus blue
Cobra  King Snakebite  52* & 58*
Odyssey Triforce 2 putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1306808716' post='3273732']
[/quote]

[quote name='los36' timestamp='1306807714' post='3273675']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hogan BH-5 irons are good, if you can find them. Either offset or non-offset, depending on your preference.
[/quote]

+1 on the BH-5 if your heart is set on Hogan -- they were a really nice, inexpensive cast club (just about everything else by Hogan is forged). The non-offset was a great looking iron. Plus, if you're looking at something comparable to the AP1, these are more of a cavity back than any other Hogan irons.

But I would really look at the Titleist 962 (not the 962b, though -- very little cavity there). Played with a set of those for over 10 years -- finally only made a change when I wasn't playing as much and wanted something with a touch more forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1306680265' post='3270530']
Tommy Armour 845S.
[/quote]
+1

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° - Aldila Tour Green X-65G
Adams Speedline Super LS 15° 3w - Mitsu Fubuki AX65
Nike VR-S Covert Tour 2.0 19° 3h - Mitsu Kuro Kage X-80g
Mizuno JPX-919F 4-PW - KBS Tour X-130 (on order)
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1306830847' post='3274295']

[/quote]
That's because the G15 are stronger - there's the one club difference. A 48° vs 45° PW

[/quote]

BH-5s would fit the bill. There are two versions - one with minimal offset and one with more offset. A good friend of mine played the minimal offset version and they seem really similar to Callaway X-14 Pros (the offset version is suppose to be similar to the regular X-14s). I also think the Apex shafts are pretty good shafts as well.

Edge CFTs might fit as well, though I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck.

Ping Eye 2, Ping Eye 2 +, Ping Zing, & Tommy Armour 845 Silverscott are all great, classic irons that are still as good as any played today. I normally would also throw the Titleist DCI 962 in there as well, but they are hardly GI irons. Great, classic? Yes. Easy to hit? Depends on the player. I played them for years but would consider all other sets mentioned GI, while the 962 is more of a players cavity back. Can't go wrong w/ any of these.

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)