How many days should a seller have to ship your item?

dcmidnight

"gosh I'm real busy right now, no time to ship"
I am asking both as a frequent buyer/seller as well as a mod who deals with these questions from time to time.

I get this a lot as a buyer unfortunately - "Sorry I havent shipped yet, been too busy." My feeling on that is well, tough, if you're too busy to drop a box at the Post Office than dont list it for sale on BST until you have time. I know things come up, emergencies, you get stuck at work etc. But to hear that someone is too busy for several days is absurd. Then dont list the item.

What are your thoughts. Lets say you pay for an item Monday morning - when do you want that dropped in the mail? I'm not asking about transit times or shipping methods, just the time it takes a seller to drop something in the mail. How long do you give them or how many warnings before you file a Paypal dispute to get your money back?

Personally as a seller I shoot for shipping same day, next day at the latest. Any item I post is always boxed and ready for shipment before I post it. I simply slap the label on it and drop it off the next day.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, if there is not clarification beforehand, it should ship by the next day, especially if you agree on a price and are paid early in the morning. 2 days max.

EDIT: For a little more clarification, I buy because I want to use it immediately. If I buy from "your" BST ad and stop looking. So if you take 4 days to ship, I could have bought from a "better seller" the next day and received my item earlier.

I buy from WRX members because I want something now. Yeah I could probably get it off Ebay for cheaper but I don't want to get into a bidding war and want it NOW!!! LOL!!

Communication is key here. We all run into problems with work, family, etc. If I can't ship the next day I will let my buyer know and I would hope that the person I buy from will do the same.

I agree if you are too busy to drop by the Post Office or UPS Store then you are too busy to load a BST add.

I think 2 business days from the date of payment is acceptable. As a buyer I'm as anxious as the next guy to get my item, but I realize that in most cases I'm getting a good deal buying on the BST (or eBay) and am willing to wait a couple of days for the seller to ship. Selling here or on eBay is not a business for most, so I don't expect them to drop everything else to ship my item. If they ship the same day then GREAT!

I don't agree with the "don't list if you're too busy to ship" part. Let's say I list an item today and have time over the next few days to ship because I'm not too busy with work or life in general. The item sits here for a week or longer, then I get a buyer. Maybe I'm out of town with work or have other obligations. In that case, COMMUNICATION is the key. I would tell the buyer that I can't ship for X days, and let him decide if he wants to proceed with the purchase.

It's been said on here hundreds or thousands of times, COMMUNICATION is the key in the BST.

Kevin

As a seller - I will always get it in the mail the next day after payment unless my listing specifies something else. There's no reason not to be able to do it. If you can't, have the courtesey to put it in the listing and let buyers know when it will be shipped.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I try to mail my items out the same day as the payment was made. If it isn't possible due to timeliness of the payment or if I have a teetime and etc, then I will get it out first thing next morning that post office is open as I go there daily to pick up personal and business mail.

I owe that to my buyers as I know they're like me, anxious to get our items as quickly as possible.

I've had couple sellers that kept on delaying shipping my purchases out by few days, not pleasant at all.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

[quote name='elrey23' timestamp='1308064727' post='3306268']
I would say 2 business days is fair.
[/quote]

I agree. I try my best to ship within 24 hours of payment but sometimes that's not possible. If you can't ship within 2 business days there is a problem unless you've been upfront about when you will ship.

While shipping the same day is nice, it's not possible for those of us that have a day job. I'm not going to leave work, package up the club and drive to the post office. I'll package up that evening and ship the next day.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

The days of "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery" are long gone. Next business day should be the norm, two business days acceptable (depending on time ordered), and any longer should be noted ahead of time. With postage so easily purchased online, there's not even a need to wait at the post office any more. Heck, they'll come get it from you!! No reasons for delays.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1308056996' post='3305977']
I am asking both as a frequent buyer/seller as well as a mod who deals with these questions from time to time.

I get this a lot as a buyer unfortunately - "Sorry I havent shipped yet, been too busy." My feeling on that is well, tough, if you're too busy to drop a box at the Post Office than dont list it for sale on BST until you have time. I know things come up, emergencies, you get stuck at work etc. But to hear that someone is too busy for several days is absurd. Then dont list the item.

What are your thoughts. Lets say you pay for an item Monday morning - when do you want that dropped in the mail? I'm not asking about transit times or shipping methods, just the time it takes a seller to drop something in the mail. How long do you give them or how many warnings before you file a Paypal dispute to get your money back?

Personally as a seller I shoot for shipping same day, next day at the latest. Any item I post is always boxed and ready for shipment before I post it. I simply slap the label on it and drop it off the next day.
[/quote]

Interesting question - one I regularly encounter selling on eBay, and I have 100%. As some may or may not know, eBay requires sellers to post the number of days it will take the seller to ship. I always ship within my stated ship time; typically 4 days; even though I have a great deal of people in different time zones demanding my time.

"Thank God for the internet, laptops and Blackberry" :) I meet my stated time, even if it requires me to have someone else take the item to the shipper; an option any responsible person has. Plus, there's a great motivating factor for me; I always keep my word. :lol: as for having something boxed up and ready before the ad, not needed, as the item might not sell.

That last statement is where the problem often surfaces. Far too many people say one thing and do another. Unless an emergency arises, there is no excuse for someone for not meeting his own shipping time commitment. Make a rule that says the seller has to state when he will ship in his ad. Figure out how many times he can miss that date, and then consequence him/her.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I ship within 24 hours (had a sale last week where I sold it at 3p and got it to UPS by 4:30p).
And I always ship USPS Priority or UPS.

I guess I expect the same but on my last few purchases, I had to wait 5 days for shipment and two others shipped Parcel Post (my fault I guess, I wasn't specific).

You'd think 'do unto others' would apply but it doesn't seem to. Communication is key, I just expected to be treated the same as I treat others.

My goal as a seller is within 24 hours as a buyer I like it asap of course, but if the seller communicates with me then I can wait a day or two longer. Nothing irritates me more than a seller who doesnt let you know what is going on. Send a pm let me know what is up and then we can almost always work something out.

I don't see how "do unto others" applies to shipping time. Sounds as though there's an expectation that your values are the values of the seller, and or because you have the time to give to ship the same day or next, others should as well. People that have families, demanding jobs and general commitments don't have that much time on their hands. Shipping in 1 or 2 days sounds as though some of you are retired, or maybe work odd hours with little demand on your time.

Tomorrow for example, I have 4 conference calls and a two online meetings and three interviews. If I sold something today, no way I could ship it today or tomorrow, nor could I infringe upon someone else's time with that short of notice. Even while I type this I am waiting for two conference calls to come through, and have a meeting 15 miles away from 12:30-3pm; 35 minute drive back during rush hour. To make it worse, the US Post office is 5 miles away, and shipping supplies are 2 miles away in a different direction.

I agree communication is very important; but expecting others to allocate their schedule like some of you do, is a recipe for disappointment. Sounds like part of problem is unreasonable expectations. Hence, many people will let some of you down.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1308069654' post='3306532']
I don't see how "do unto others" applies to shipping time. Sounds as though there's an expectation that your values are the values of the seller, and or because you have the time to give to ship the same day or next, others should as well. People that have families, demanding jobs and general commitments don't have that much time on their hands. Shipping in 1 or 2 days sounds as though some of you are retired, or maybe work odd hours with little demand on your time.

Tomorrow for example, I have 4 conference calls and a two online meetings and three interviews. If I sold something today, no way I could ship it today or tomorrow, nor could I infringe upon someone else's time with that short of notice. Even while I type this I am waiting for two conference calls to come through, and have a meeting 15 miles away from 12:30-3pm; 35 minute drive back during rush hour. To make it worse, the US Post office is 5 miles away, and shipping supplies are 2 miles away in a different direction.

I agree communication is very important; but expecting others to allocate their schedule like some of you do, is a recipe for disappointment. Sounds like part of problem is unreasonable expectations. Hence, many people will let some of you down.
[/quote]

You're just an example of when a longer than 'normal' ship time should be noted. I don't think there's an issue with a few business days handling time so long as it's made clear from the start. But seriously - you can print postage online and unless it's an abnormally large package, drop it off after hours at the post office (or a CVS/Walgreens/Longs type store that has a mailing center). It's really not that difficult to find SOMEWHERE open that'll accept the package. What really bugs me is the people who wait forever to pay (now THAT is something for which there's no excuse for more than 24 hours time) but expect immediate shipment.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1308071225' post='3306606']
Unless it is understood that it might take longer...it should be shipped within 24-36 hours of the transaction being completed (money sent/received). [b]It's funny, the seller is rarely too busy to accept an offer and receive money...[/b][/quote]

Yeah, because reading and replying to a PM is so much like packing and shipping a club. I'm sure everyone carries with them at all times their items for sale, packing materials, a portable printer for the label, etc just in case they get a PM wanting to buy an item. I know I have a mobile USPS store in my trunk, another at my office, and various strategic spots throughout the US...you know, just in case someone shoots me a PM. ;)

In part, what's posted here is why all my barely used shafts and clubs go to eBay. Later -

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Do you know what's almost as bad???? Guys that fart around with a sale after you post an item.

Two weeks ago I posted an almost new set of Ping irons, played with them once, $200 below new selling price. Right away I had a stack of e-mails from guys that wanted them. After 4 days of e-mail with those who said "I'll take them" I finally had a guy who would commit and never sent payment so......

I posted them again with the same results. Six WRX'ers committed but the first two guys in line never answered my e-mails. Guy 3 had to "check with his buddy" to make sure he wanted them then took 2 days to collect the money and Paypal it to me. My intention was to ship that same day I got the Paypal (Friday) but got stuck at work and couldn't. Guy 3 sends me this e-mail asking if I had ever sold on Golfwrx before. I explained that I would ship Monday and did so (e-mailed them with the tracking number) and Guy 3 sent me the link to this post.

This is the second time this has happened to me on Golfwrx. I posted here so that I could save on E-Bay fees but next time I will just add the fees into the price.

It's too bad it couldn't be set up like ebay's Buy It Now, where you have to pay immediately. I wish all of ebay could be like this, actually. You win, you pay. The end. I never do it, but I wouldn't feel bad if I delayed shipping for as many days as the buyer took to pay. Like it or not, you're acting as a business when you sell on ebay, here on the forums, or wherever. Prompt payment and shipping is not unreasonable to expect. There are no other situations in life where you'd pay for a product or service and happily wait until whenever the seller delivered to receive it.

Of course, if patience is not your thing, there ARE brick-and-mortars that'll likely sell you most anything you're looking for and you'll immediately have it in hand. Are you wiling to pay more to have something RIGHT NOW?

[quote name='tpariff' timestamp='1308072124' post='3306664']
Unless it is understood that it might take longer...it should be shipped within 24-36 hours of the transaction being completed (money sent/received). [b]It's funny, the seller is rarely too busy to accept an offer and receive money...[/b][/quote]

Yeah, because reading and replying to a PM is so much like packing and shipping a club. I'm sure everyone carries with them at all times their items for sale, packing materials, a portable printer for the label, etc just in case they get a PM wanting to buy an item. I know I have a mobile USPS store in my trunk, another at my office, and various strategic spots throughout the US...you know, just in case someone shoots me a PM. ;)
[/quote]
I get the sarcasm and realize it's not apples-to-apples from an effort/time requirement, but the context of my comment is that it is sad when a seller is super responsive when they benefit from it, but once the onus is on them, they can exhibit the same level of effort and attention to meet their obligation in a timely manner.

Just as sellers like to get paid in a timely manner from someone who commits to a purchase, a buyer likes to receive his product within a reasonable period of time.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1308078256' post='3306960']
[quote name='tpariff' timestamp='1308072124' post='3306664']

[/quote]
I get the sarcasm and realize it's not apples-to-apples from an effort/time requirement, but the context of my comment is that it is sad when a seller is super responsive when they benefit from it, but once the onus is on them, they can exhibit the same level of effort and attention to meet their obligation in a timely manner.

Just as sellers like to get paid in a timely manner from someone who commits to a purchase, a buyer likes to receive his product within a reasonable period of time.
[/quote]

I hear ya...and agree. :friends:

It really comes down to communication and managing expectations on both sides - payment and shipping.

Good question... aparently in www.precisiongolf tool.com.. the guy takes... well he doesn't take any time.. simply he keeps the money and keep saying lies about sending the item.. he blame on everybody... but he takes the money and lie.... Hoping this warning is enough for not buying anything from this company, but as he was saying in one of the emails... he was moving into a bigger business.. so Be careful with the products of Precision Golf Tool or whatever is called in the future!
Some people let me knowt that this company is sited in Camarillo California.

48 hours.. If someone pays for something on Monday night, I'd expect at a max, it'll be in the mail by Wednesday.

I normally try to ship next day. Sometimes it doesn't happen, and sometimes it's the same day. I'll even skip my lunch, or jet out of a meeting to drop a package off if I have to. I hate to wait, and I'm sure others don't want to as well.

To expect it to be dropped off when paid, is silly, honestly. 2 days.. past that, there needs to be some good excuses, and some prompt shipping.

Waiting a week, I'm dropping a note to paypal without some solid excuse of why you haven't shipped, or proof of shipping.

If your too busy to plan ahead and drop a box off at a shipping store, or USPS, then you shouldn't be selling. Takes minutes, and sometimes, literally, no time if you print an online label.