Srixon Q Star Ball

mjwidell

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1314022975' post='3509234']
I noticed a slight (and ever so slight) decrease in distance but I think it's just from the higher swing speeds. Other than that I personally don't think that any of us are good enough to notice a 5 yard difference because we don't always pure our drivers down the middle.
[/quote]

good to hear. i teeter from a 98-101 SS. i shouldn't loose much if anything than, its sounds like.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1314023280' post='3509251']
I noticed a slight (and ever so slight) decrease in distance but I think it's just from the higher swing speeds. Other than that I personally don't think that any of us are good enough to notice a 5 yard difference because we don't always pure our drivers down the middle.
[/quote]

good to hear. i teeter from a 98-101 SS. i shouldn't loose much if anything than, its sounds like.
[/quote]

No you probably shouldn't lose anything. I think it's funny how people are expecting high price results from a mid grade ball. If you lose 5 yards in distance but gain 5 yards in accuracy, who cares right?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1314023413' post='3509260']
[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1314023280' post='3509251']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No you probably shouldn't lose anything. I think it's funny how people are expecting high price results from a mid grade ball. If you lose 5 yards in distance but gain 5 yards in accuracy, who cares right?
[/quote]

oh i absolutely agree, but the nay-sayers of the ball have stated more along the lines of "loosing lots of distance"

i don't mind a little loss, but a lot, would be a no go. the accuracy is by far the most important to me. the lack of sidespin intrigues me too by a 2 piece. i normally get, and dont plan on a lack of roll-out on chips and check-ups, so a little less spin on approaches sounds good to me.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I normally drive the ball in the 280-300 yard range (with roll) on any given day. I played the other day and I striped my ball down the #18 fairway. It was a 420 yard par 4 and with wind in my face I was still 150 out after all was said and done. Did I lose any distance? I don't think I did.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Played the Q Star again yesterday and I must say this is a very impressive ball. Very low spin off the tee for me and performed very well off my irons and wedges. Distance control was right there along with the XV that I normally play. Not sure thats its quite as long as the XV but I will say that I hit it straighter in the 2 rounds I have played it. I shot one of my better rounds yesterday in a while (72) but couldnt make a putt to save my life.
SRIXON really hit a homerun with this ball.

I normally drive the ball in the 230-240 range (with roll) on any given day. I played the other day and I striped my ball (Q Star) down the 9th fairway. It was a 410 yard par 4 with no wind and I was still 190 yards out after all was said and done. Did I lose distance? I think I did.

Bottom line, we won't all get the same results, for obvious reasons. How a ball performs for me may not be how it performs for you and vice-versa.

Johnny T.

I finally can talk about it! Bought a dozen to try.
Conclusion: will help you with driver and long shots. So I will use it for par 5 and straight par 4s.
Review: as they are promoting it, this ball is a dream for 14-19 hcp. First swing, 285, when my usual is 258-260. And that when on all day. I couldn't believe it, so I composed myself and observed behavior close in green. Chips and pitchs are ok too, just that I noticed the ball doesn't brake as a premium ball (of course less spin), usually giving 4-6 yards after mid iron in green. I tried to be careful with short irons and it worked. For the second 9 I decided enough was enough in par 3s and played my usual Callys I(s).
The result is I break my record at my golf course, from 89 to 84.
I would highly recommend it, just being cautious with par 3s and those 60-150 yds shots

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='linkerpan' timestamp='1314203023' post='3515826']

I would highly recommend it, just being cautious with par 3s and those 60-150 yds shots
[/quote]

This was my issue, not enough spin. But on top of that, my 3/4, or 1/2 shots were air-mailing the greens. I'm not used to the ball slingshotting off the wedges and irons like that.

I bought a sleeve of these to try in yellow. Have to say I'm quite impressed with them. You should know I'm old and a slow swinger driver swing speed about 90 or less. I got really good distance from this ball off the tee. May have been the best yet for me. Very good off of all irons no complaints. It does not spin as much on the greens but not so bad that you can't play it. The ball is very durable as well Have used the same ball for three rounds still looks new. On top of that I shot a 78 yesterday just two strokes above my record.

At 25.00 per dozen this is my new gamer.

Picked up a dozen last week to try them out, and what I found was that if someone had printed "AD333" on this ball, I would have thought that that was what I was hitting. Felt the same, spin wasn't as good as advertised the same, cover damaged up way too easy the same.

I've been happy with the e5 this year, and was initially excited thinking that the Q-Star would be similar - urethane on a Srixon core. Alas, not to be. Think I'll save them for when it's cold, and probably won't buy them again. Too bad - I've gone from almost exclusively Srixon a few years ago (AD333 and Z-URS), to now using e5s as an everyday ball, and FG Tour as my tour ball (though of course messing around with other balls as sales happen).

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Well myself and 2 others in my group have joined the "QTrain" and in my opinion it's the best ball for the money out there that I have tried to date. I had been playing the xv yellows and I am now playing the QStar yellows....the others are playing the Tour white...the only real difference I see is that the XV may go a bit farther off the irons but I have no exact data to prove it out. Both feel great off the driver and putter.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

I played two rounds on my own and two scrambles. The reason I bring that up is that I played from both normal locations (from areas and distances that I normaly play from) and some not so normal locations in the scrambles so I could judge my distance etc.

Trajectory - these balls launch just fine. Just about the correct height for me. Not overly high.

Distance – I had a few great drives and a few not so good drives. The driver miss hits were shorter than I expected or get with other balls. The irons were about a half a club short most of the time.

Approach shots – with irons or wedges I hit a high ball and they stopped ok. Not as good as a Penta or Prov but ok.

Chipping – was just ok. I could not get the ball to stop so I adjusted and let it roll out.

Putting - I putted just fine. Felt middle of the road for the soft/hard feel.

Overall – I think the ball is a nice (but not great) for a middle of the road ball. For the money, I think I like the e5 better because I get more distance out of the e5 with better short game (hop and stop) features.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I've played the Q-Star for 36 holes now and I probably won't buy anymore of them. I use to play the AD333, at $20 a dozen they were a nice ball compared to others in that price range. Since the Q-Star is pretty much a repackaged AD333 with a higher price, at $25, there are better options out there. I'll take the Bridgestone E series or NXT's any day.

[quote name='BCannon' timestamp='1315712302' post='3556284']
I've played the Q-Star for 36 holes now and I probably won't buy anymore of them. I use to play the AD333, at $20 a dozen they were a nice ball compared to others in that price range. Since the Q-Star is pretty much a repackaged AD333 with a higher price, at $25, there a better options out there. I'll take the Bridgestone E series or NXT's any day.
[/quote]

Interesting observation about the Qstar perhaps being a repackaged AD333. I played 4 or 5 holes with one Thursday night and they reminded me of a bit of the AD333 now that you mention it. For me the ball was also too straight for my game right now and I had trouble drawing or fading (not that I can do either consistently), but I had trouble doing it at all with the Qstar. Also, my drives seemed to be on a higher trajectory with the Qstar. After 4 or 5 holes I switched back to my NXT Tours for the remaining 4 or 5 holes and they seemed to be a better fit for me right now. Also, the Qstar seemed like it scuffed up easily (like I found with the AD333).

Again, my observations are based on 4-5 holes so take it with a grain of salt. I will be using more Qstars since I bought a dozen, and perhaps they will be a better ball for me at the beginning of the season when my driver swing speed isn't consistently over 100 mph and when I'm happy just to be able to hit the ball straight :)

• 1 month later...

The ball feels great off the tee IMO. I did not notice much of a distance loss, but I did notice a considerable loss in spin on anything but a full shot. The 20-70 yrd shots were the worst. I could not get to check-up, and would just roll for days.. The ball rolls well off the putter face and feels solid, but for me I am just not sure I could deal with the lack of spin.. I will give them another round and see if anything changes, if not back to the nxt tour's for me.

I love this golf ball, my swing speed per my local golf warehouses simulator ranged from 113-119 mph with the driver. I know this golf ball is meant for lower swing speeds but I have found the golf ball stays straight and in the fairway, I may be losing a little distance but I would rather be in the fairway then sliced into the woods 15 yds farther. I have never had a lot of spin but I find this ball to have a ton of spin. I always buy them in the yellow and I love how they show barely any wear and look brand new even after multiple rounds!

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

I have played and will continue to play the ball. I agree it's very similar to a AD333 but I love the yellow. I can see that thing from 2 states away but it's now fall in Maryland and yellow balls and yellow leaves may make me go white for the season.

On a side note...am I the only member that doesn't swing his driver over 115 MPH and drive the ball at least 320 yards every single swing. We have more tour quality swing members then amateurs.

Anyone want to buy a bridge?

I think the comments about the Q-Star being a re-badged AD333 and the UK not getting it are bang on - as I mentioned in another thread I just received two dozen AD333 from American golf (I'm in the UK) and it's had a subtle re-package with "New and Improved" and "Larger core" on it. I'd imagine these two balls are one in the same. The AD333 is an extremely well-selling ball in the UK so I doubt they wanted to re-brand it, in the US it was a slower seller so the re-brand made sense.

Found my winter ball. About 50 degrees here in michigan today so I tried the q star vs my normal xv today. My driver swing speed is 112 and 7 iron 94. I love the q star. It was consistently longer today than the xv. It's one of the best feeling balls I have ever played. Driver, irons, wedges and putter felt equally soft and buttery. Must have been the cold temps because usually the xv feels great but compared to the q star it felt quite a bit harder/dead. q star iron and wedge spin was good if not a little better than the xv for me today. I'd highly recommend this ball to anyone.

I liked the Q star ok. It felt good and I was impressed for the price range. Softer than NXT Tours. I like them and the Bridgestone e series.

PING G430 Max 10K (10.5* @ 9.5*) | PING Alta CB 55 S (for now)

PING G20 4w (16.5*) | PING TFC 169F S

PING G430 7w (21* turned down to small - ) | Tensai Blue AV 60 S

PING i525 (4-W Orange Dot -1/2") | DG 105 S300

Cleveland CG16 (50.10), PING i25 SW (54), PING Glide 3.0 (58TS) | All soon to be replaced

Evnroll EV5.2

Ball: Maxfli Tour S and Bridgestone RX Mindset

I thought I would give the Q-Star another try but this time in yellow to better find it in the fall leaves. Once I am done with this dozen, I will go back to my E5 or Penta. Too bad the e5 and Pentas dont come in yellow.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='Jimrod' timestamp='1319105599' post='3696339']
I think the comments about the Q-Star being a re-badged AD333 and the UK not getting it are bang on - as I mentioned in another thread I just received two dozen AD333 from American golf (I'm in the UK) and it's had a subtle re-package with "New and Improved" and "Larger core" on it. I'd imagine these two balls are one in the same. The AD333 is an extremely well-selling ball in the UK so I doubt they wanted to re-brand it, in the US it was a slower seller so the re-brand made sense.
[/quote]

Talking to our Srixon rep, he said that they are going away from making a lot of different types of balls. Now they are only going to be having the Z-Star X, XV and Q star. They are experimenting with making the cores larger, the covers thinner and all sorts of things now so that multiple people can play the same ball. I for one am glad to see this. I hate looking for a golf ball and seeing a million different ones from the same company that pretty much do the same thing.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1319404655' post='3708621']
Talking to our Srixon rep, he said that they are going away from making a lot of different types of balls. Now they are only going to be having the Z-Star X, XV and Q star. They are experimenting with making the cores larger, the covers thinner and all sorts of things now so that multiple people can play the same ball. I for one am glad to see this. I hate looking for a golf ball and seeing a million different ones from the same company that pretty much do the same thing.
[/quote]

I feel like this is only going to hurt Srixon's market share. More models = more shelf space = greater chance someone will buy your product.

The introduction of the QStar at $25 is the writing on the wall that the Trispeed line is done. I am sure they will offer another 2-piece at the $20 or less price point (possibly a replacement for the Soft Feel?)

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1319418652' post='3709511']
[/quote]

I feel like this is only going to hurt Srixon's market share. More models = more shelf space = greater chance someone will buy your product.

The introduction of the QStar at $25 is the writing on the wall that the Trispeed line is done. I am sure they will offer another 2-piece at the $20 or less price point (possibly a replacement for the Soft Feel?)
[/quote]

Nope. The QStar is replacing the AD333, the Tri Speed and the Soft Feel. It is an all around ball at an average joes price.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1319421781' post='3709791']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1319418652' post='3709511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nope. The QStar is replacing the AD333, the Tri Speed and the Soft Feel. It is an all around ball at an average joes price.
[/quote]

Q-Star is not replacing the softfeel, just the AD333, and Trispeed. Srixon Softfeel is the #2 selling premium 2-piece ball on the market, its not going away any time soon.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I also picked up a sleeve this weekend and played it.

Distance was shorter than my normal balls (E6, TM Tour LDP, Nike One).. but not 20 yards... I would say in a range of 5-10 yards max. Felt great off of the driver as well as fairways and hybrids.

Felt solid off of irons and didnt get much spin off of irons and wedges. Alot of check and stop, which I prefer.

LOVED the feel off of the putter and the durability was exceptional.

Definitely will be buying a dozen.

#ForTheShoe