Hyannisport Club

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Hyannisport 1/2 dozen times.

Great views near the clubhouse. Maybe not my favorite green contours but usually the best speed and firmness of any greens I play all year. Layout is some what basic but holes like #4 and #17 stand out.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1311105563' post='3405175']
I caddied over at Hyannisport when I was younger and I have to agree that it has STELLAR views. Certainly not one of the better courses as layout/condition is concerned but it's easy to look past that when you're playing on the Cape with those kind of views.
[/quote]

Its interesting....I heard that the golf course was actually designed around the wind that blows off the hyannisport sound. Being the reason the layout is fairly basic.

Apparently they dug up some of Donald ross' old documents and made changes to the golf course.

I don't know when you caddied there but its in great condition at least it was 3 weeks ago.

I caddied there probably 10 years ago. That's very interesting about the reason for the layout. And it makes sense. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the course by any means. I'm just saying it's basic (which is a good thing in this instance). I guess I'm just comparing it to courses out here in Chicago and the north burbs that don't have the beautiful ocean views to feed off of. Our courses make up for that in the design. But trust me, I'd play Hyannisport any day.

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

Hyannisport is the best course on Cape Cod, period, IMO. Sankaty Head on Nantucket is better but its on Nantucket obviously.

Eastward Ho! if you played it everyday you'd shoot yourself in the head.

Oyster Harbors is a great Ross as well but they built it on an island w/o any ocean views, you might as well be in Cleveland.

Wianno is old and short but beautiful, again no ocean views except for a few holes.

Cape Cod National is strong but the bunkering is weak and the sand in them is puffy and beach-like...ruins the experience.

Pocasset is a true sleeper, another Ross with a string of great holes...Cummaquid is fun and has cool green complexes..#7 tee shot almost ruins the whole golf course.

Hyannisport you can see the ocean from EVERY hole, the wind is different everyday and #3, #4 and #17 are fantastic..there isn't a bad hole out there...if I could be a member at any of the clubs on cape I'd choose Hyport everyday, w no hesitation.

[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1312337673' post='3446593']
Hyannisport is the best course on Cape Cod, period, IMO. Sankaty Head on Nantucket is better but its on Nantucket obviously.

Oyster Harbors is a great Ross as well but they built it on an island w/o any ocean views, you might as well be in Cleveland.

Wianno is old and short but beautiful, again no ocean views except for a few holes.

Cape Cod National is strong but the bunkering is weak and the sand in them is puffy and beach-like...ruins the experience.

Pocasset is a true sleeper, another Ross with a string of great holes...Cummaquid is fun and has cool green complexes..#7 tee shot almost ruins the whole golf course.

Hyannisport you can see the ocean from EVERY hole, the wind is different everyday and #3, #4 and #17 are fantastic..there isn't a bad hole out there...if I could be a member at any of the clubs on cape I'd choose Hyport everyday, w no hesitation.
[/quote]

I just played it again yesterday and I am beginning to agree with you...when the wind blows.

Place is in frickin pristine condition and its a beautiful layout.

I've played at Oyster Harbors and it was mediocre at best...overrated in my opinion.

I've heard good things about Eastward Ho! though, I want to play there before I make my mind up.

[b]Hyannisport you can see the ocean from EVERY hole, the wind is different everyday and #3, #4 and #17 are fantastic..there isn't a bad hole out there...if I could be a member at any of the clubs on cape I'd choose Hyport everyday, w no hesitation.[/b]
[/quote]

agree, but still doesnt compare to courses on the other side of the bridge....kittansett is better IMO as it most relates to Hyport

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1312417880' post='3449391']

[b]Hyannisport you can see the ocean from EVERY hole, the wind is different everyday and #3, #4 and #17 are fantastic..there isn't a bad hole out there...if I could be a member at any of the clubs on cape I'd choose Hyport everyday, w no hesitation.[/b]
[/quote]

agree, but still doesnt compare to courses on the other side of the bridge....kittansett is better IMO as it most relates to Hyport
[/quote]

Kittansett, imo, is a bit overrated. Yeah #3 is great, but #6, #9, #10, #11, #12 are pedestrian, #13 is weak, #15 is boring, so is #16...it doesn't hold Hyport's jock for mystique, character, strength of routing, etc...and good luck finding anything fun to do after your round in bustling Marion, Ma....Hyannisport is minutes away from Hyannis harbor and some of the best seafood and summer 'scenery' around. Its no contest. Throw in JFK and the fact its his favorite course.

If you're headed "over the bridge" might as well keep heading west and play Sakonnet in Ri or pack a lunch and go to Fishers Island off of the Connecticut coast...both great seaside links courses.

I just feel Hyport is very repeatable and a lot of the holes look the same. Sure winds different, but thats the same with every course...kittansett has better par 3's. Sure weak par 5's, but there is a reason Sergio, Jack and many other pros have played there. its a fabulous lay out with risk reward holes. Also they cleared all the trees on the clubhouse side, now you have water on both sides of you for atleast 12 holes.

Yeah thats a good track, dont know bout the one in Conn. Still Hport and Kittansett would be lucky to be in the top 5 in Massachusetts without question.

Olde Sandwich
The CC
BGC
CC National
GC of CC
Nantucket CC

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1313029128' post='3471922']
I just feel Hyport is very repeatable and a lot of the holes look the same. Sure winds different, but thats the same with every course...kittansett has better par 3's. Sure weak par 5's, but there is a reason Sergio, Jack and many other pros have played there. its a fabulous lay out with risk reward holes. Also they cleared all the trees on the clubhouse side, now you have water on both sides of you for atleast 12 holes.

Yeah thats a good track, dont know bout the one in Conn. Still Hport and Kittansett would be lucky to be in the top 5 in Massachusetts without question.

Olde Sandwich
The CC
BGC
CC National
GC of CC
Nantucket CC
[/quote]

I agree with OS and TCC but the greens at Boston Golf Club are too mickey mouse for me so thats out of my top ten. Golf Club of Cape Cod needs to clear the brush under the trees, ruins the experience, and the greens dont receive shots very well. The bunkering at CCN is weak, too much sand and some of the fairway bunkers are steep-lipped and a little too penal. Nantucket is strong but Sankaty blows it away in almost every aspect. Myopia not in any Mass top 5 is a crime.

I'd go:

TCC (composite)
Myopia
Old Sandwich
Sankaty
Hyport

then..
Essex
Winchester
Worcester
Vesper (post reno.)
Oyster Harbors
(I'm a sucker for a good Ross course, can you tell?)

...and the rest...

Olde Sandwich
The CC
BGC
CC National
GC of CC
Nantucket CC
[/quote]

Better par 3's at Kittansett? Highly debatable.

Kittansett's #3 and Hyport's #17 is a dead heat...both signature holes, both on the ocean/marsh...Kittansett's #3's green is pretty flat, Hyport's #17 is the slickest, most pitched back to front on the property, much tougher to par if on in regulation.
Kittansett's #8 (no ocean) is great but does it rival Hyport's #15 downhill w/ deep bunkering and a panoramic view of Nantucket Sound? Answer: No
Kittansett's #11 has as acid trip for a green and plays too severe for the yardage, no ocean in sight either. Hyport's #8 plays along the marsh and has a great subtle reverse false front, very rare. Edge: Hyport
That leaves Kittansett's #14 vs Hyport's # 5. This is the ONLY green at Hyport where you cannot run the ball up to it...3 great bunkers and the tee hangs juts out into the marsh. I'll give you the draw there, but that's a gift.

My score: Kittansett 0 wins, 2 losses and 2 draws; Hyannisport...well you get the picture.

And over 10 PGA pros played there in my time there, we just didn't make a big deal about it.

I actually think that the par 3 15th is the best par 3 on the course because of the way the wind blows, 5th follows a close second.

Although I think the real meat of the course at Hport are some of the good par 4's.

1 - Classic long opening hole

3 - Signature hole with 2 forced carries over marsh and wind howling, great hole.

4 - hardest hole on the course, need long drive over a brutal marsh and have a second shot to a small green which trickles off on the left and which runs into the marsh. Tough hole.

7 - Great hole, best view on the course, wide open drive to a downhill second shot. Second shot is to a small green with bunkers down the right and left and dead long. Green is slopes off the left.

10 - Best hole on the course, Drives on the right side face a blind second shot to a small green. Hardest green on the course, only about 15 yards to safely land on the green, Very Very small landing area!

11 - Long doglegg to the right

12 - Love this hole. Doglegg right par 4. Either pick up the driver and try to fly the bunkers about 280 yards and have a wedge for your 2nd or lay up with a hybrid/long iron and have 170 or so for your second, green slopes from right to left, and falls off on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1314358746' post='3520460']
For what it's worth, Golf Digest ranked Eastward Ho! more favorably than Hyannisport in their best by state rankings. Eastward Ho! at 9 and Hyannisport at 11 in Mass.
[/quote]

Many clubs politely decline Golf Digest "raters"

Ask a Golf Digest rater if they know what a "biarritz" or a "redan" or even a "cape" hole is. Most of them have no clue. Its just a scam to get on courses they'd never get on if they weren't "raters"

Its a scam, IMO

Fishers Island told them "thanks but no thanks" over 15 years ago

[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1314574357' post='3526067']
For what it's worth, Golf Digest ranked Eastward Ho! more favorably than Hyannisport in their best by state rankings. Eastward Ho! at 9 and Hyannisport at 11 in Mass.
[/quote]

Ask a Golf Digest rater if they know what a "biarritz" or a "redan" or even a "cape" hole is. Most of them have no clue. Its just a scam to get on courses they'd never get on if they weren't "raters"

Its a scam, IMO

I always thought it was more of a panel, but I could be wrong. They are the longest continually running course ranking going though, so I doubt they are looked upon that unfavorably. Country Club is ranked 1st in Mass, and they are the LAST course to let on strangers.

[/quote]

[quote name='cubiclegolfer' timestamp='1314724259' post='3530171']
[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1314574357' post='3526067']
[/quote]

Its a scam, IMO

I always thought it was more of a panel, but I could be wrong. They are the longest continually running course ranking going though, so I doubt they are looked upon that unfavorably. Country Club is ranked 1st in Mass, and they are the LAST course to let on strangers.

[/quote]
[/quote]

You are assuming that Brookline let them play.

Its not a panel of 10-12 people or what have you traveling the country playing courses, its numerous people...many many people...not sure what the qualifying criteria is but it doesnt seem hard.

• 2 months later...

10 that's it?
and you Cantrell me that hyannisport is te better course.... It's a joke from the back. Playing kittansett at 6700 par 71 and you will break. Hyannisport has nice holes, but it's very easy. I'm looking for the better course and it easily goes to kittansett.

I usually et on through sponsorships and knowinging head pros or other titleist reps. Just make use of the people you encounter on the links!
[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1313031873' post='3472078']

Olde Sandwich
The CC
BGC
CC National
GC of CC
Nantucket CC
[/quote]

Better par 3's at Kittansett? Highly debatable.

Kittansett's #3 and Hyport's #17 is a dead heat...both signature holes, both on the ocean/marsh...Kittansett's #3's green is pretty flat, Hyport's #17 is the slickest, most pitched back to front on the property, much tougher to par if on in regulation.
Kittansett's #8 (no ocean) is great but does it rival Hyport's #15 downhill w/ deep bunkering and a panoramic view of Nantucket Sound? Answer: No
Kittansett's #11 has as acid trip for a green and plays too severe for the yardage, no ocean in sight either. Hyport's #8 plays along the marsh and has a great subtle reverse false front, very rare. Edge: Hyport
That leaves Kittansett's #14 vs Hyport's # 5. This is the ONLY green at Hyport where you cannot run the ball up to it...3 great bunkers and the tee hangs juts out into the marsh. I'll give you the draw there, but that's a gift.

My score: Kittansett 0 wins, 2 losses and 2 draws; Hyannisport...well you get the picture.

And over 10 PGA pros played there in my time there, we just didn't make a big deal about it.
[/quote]

CapeCod27, here's how I got on a couple courses:

TCC: High School Golf team home course (Primrose) Caddied and worked in the bag room in my high school days so I could play on Mondays, also know members.
Cape Cod National: Filled divots on that course for an entire summer. Played on Mondays. You can also now play this course if you stay at the Wequasset Inn.
Eastward Ho!: Worked in the cart barn summer before I went to college. Best summer of my life. Played whenever I wanted pretty much. Played most recently through a Francis Ouimet Foundation event a few years ago.
Hyannisport: Know members.

Never played Kittanset, Boston Club or Old Sandwich. In due time. Playing Essex next year.