2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Yani Tseng - not a superstar?

commentators don't seem to think so
So I was watching the female US Open today, and Michelle Wie sinks a long put and makes a few dozen fists pumps and the commentator(s) says something along the lines of "that's what the world of female golf needs, and identifiable superstar"(can't remember the exact wording). Last I knew that is what Yani Tseng is.. a golfing superstar. Why would the commentators say Michelle Wie is in some way an "identifiable superstar" and Yani is not? They're the same age, and Yani is 10x better. Is it because Wie is american.... because she's more attractive??

Anyhow I thought it was a weird statement and even rude.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wie is an American, but she has not established herself as a force. She has been more hyped, and is more attractive than Yanni (few aren't). I am a Wie and Yanni fan, and Yanni is the best womens player in the world right now. However, I don't think she has reached Superstar status yet. Annika was a Superstar because she excelled over a number of years, Yanni has a few years to go.

It is what it is with Yani...... I think the commentators said it like it is .....Yani is not a "identifiable" superstar.....meaning that the majority of the American public simply doesn't identify with her when they think of golf.

With that being said..... if any Male golfer would do what Yani has done.....the commentators would be wearing out the listening audience about how great that person is......Take Rory for example...... while he has accomplished much at his young age.... he hasn't accomplished anything near what Yani has in professional golf.

Yani is a golf superstar......just not what the majority of golf audience is tuning in to watch and I don't see her as a flagship type player for any of the golf companies......YET

Yani is one of the most humble superstars in the game today, she constantly works on her communications to create a more marketable profile. She is not hyped by her endorsement partners, and reacts as one should on the golf course. Unfortunately that does not garner as much attention as being American, pouting about missed shots, and being overhyped by the likes of Nike or TaylorMade.

She is a little more Karie Webb, than her idol Annika at this point, but I don't see her going anywhere. It is up to others to play better and create a viable rivalry, and more attention to the LPGA tour.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1310249703' post='3377811']
Yani is one of the most humble superstars in the game today................

She is a little more Karie Webb, than her idol Annika at this point, but I don't see her going anywhere. It is up to others to play better and create a viable rivalry, and more attention to the LPGA tour.
[/quote]

........+1000.....

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Yani doesn't get the respect or attention her game deserves. It's doubtful Michelle Wie will ever match Yani's current record in her entire career and yet she gets way more attention. The whole situation is kind of sad really. Yani is doing the best she can both with her game and to make herself more personable to a North American audience. But she's not American and isn't considered attractive (neither of which she can do anything about) so her accomplishments are minimized.

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1310249655' post='3377808']
It is what it is with Yani...... I think the commentators said it like it is .....Yani is not a "identifiable" superstar.....meaning that the majority of the American public simply doesn't identify with her when they think of golf. [/quote]

That's what Dottie Pepper was getting at. It was her quote. Michelle Wie sank a long birdie putt to make the cut on the number and fist pumped many times, prompting Dan Hicks to say that's what the LPGA needs...

It was my impression he was strictly going to focus on Wie, that the game needed her to bloom, when Pepper cut Hicks off and injected, "an identifiable superstar."

Too bad it wasn't Johnny Miller's line, and that he kept quiet on the matter. Otherwise this thread would be multiple pages already.

Sounds like dottie's digging up the old bitterness among American women that women were coming from asia and largely blowing their doors off. Next she'll recommend English language testing be required of major winners lol

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

The whole argument is that sponsors and fans here "need" that person who can dominate. Yani is much better at this point, but in the lead up to the tournament, they all noted that Wie once she completes her last two semesters at Stanford and focuses on golf only, should become more consistent and a factor. She'll have her experiences and growing up well underway. And let's be honest, she was forced upon the world by her folks, Nike and Sony, made millions before she was ready, and suffered greatly.

I tend to agree with them. However, much like Tiger and the PGA is going through right now, golf is changing, and getting younger and better fast. She'll need to get busy and quickly.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='toddnt' timestamp='1310312601' post='3379200']
Same old story, she doesnt have the sex appeal and thats what men usually look at first when seeing a woman! Is she hot and would I like to have relations with her!
[/quote]

you hit the nail on the head with that comment. it seems like the US women are also using that mindset. they are more worried abut wearing skirts that are made to pick up guys and to say look at me then to put the effort in that Yani has. hearing people say that Michelle Wie will be a great player when she finishes school is an excuse made for her. she lacks drive in the game because her parents pushed her into this and she had a ton of money thrown at her before she won anything.

Same reason why Anthony Kim is more of a "superstar" than a guy like Steve Stricker for example. It´s because he is marketed as being someone with some personality and he wears big belt buckles. Some players are in it only for the money and some because they actually care about winning golf tournaments. The less marketable your image is, the better you have to play to be considered a superstar.

Let´s be honest here, the majority of viewers don´t care about the golf that is played when they watch the women play. They just wanna see hot girls in mini skirts playing golf. If they want to see the best golf in the world they watch the men play.

The American women players are more interested in marketing themselves well and looking hot than actually having the drive to win. They just want to enjoy life and play a little golf during the day while the Asians have the work ethic and killer instinct ("I´d rather die than lose").

Reality is the Asians are not marketable because most of them don´t have any sex appeal and don´t speak english very well, yet they are better players than the Americans.

Just because they're not marketable in the US doesn't mean they're not marketable else where. Pretty sure they'll earn mucho $$$ in Asia.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hayden' timestamp='1314784801' post='3531445']
watching asian layers is like watching paint dry..........................
[/quote]
Nice generalization, and one I'd almost agree with. If, of course, you mean watching paint dry with solid fundamentals, essentially lapping the field with great golf. That's what I love about this game. Best rounds win. No excuses. Fans of golf appreciate this. If you want drama, excessive story lines, and "exciting plays" (that often detracts from the sport), tune in to the NBA or NFL. Please. :hi:

Either way, heckuva thread bump to make a weak point. :fool:

(btw--i assume you meant "asian [b]p[/b]layers")

:hi:

[quote name='sergizmo' timestamp='1310262893' post='3378247']
Yani doesn't get the respect or attention her game deserves. It's doubtful Michelle Wie will ever match Yani's current record in her entire career and yet she gets way more attention. The whole situation is kind of sad really. Yani is doing the best she can both with her game and to make herself more personable to a North American audience. But she's not American and isn't considered attractive (neither of which she can do anything about) so her accomplishments are minimized.
[/quote]

Agree but if she keeps winning that stuff won't matter in the long run

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 1 year later...

[quote name='ChrizZ' timestamp='1310324822' post='3379632']
Same reason why Anthony Kim is more of a "superstar" than a guy like Steve Stricker for example. It´s because he is marketed as being someone with some personality and he wears big belt buckles. Some players are in it only for the money and some because they actually care about winning golf tournaments. The less marketable your image is, the better you have to play to be considered a superstar.

Let´s be honest here, the majority of viewers don´t care about the golf that is played when they watch the women play. They just wanna see hot girls in mini skirts playing golf. If they want to see the best golf in the world they watch the men play.

The American women players are more interested in marketing themselves well and looking hot than actually having the drive to win. They just want to enjoy life and play a little golf during the day while the Asians have the work ethic and killer instinct ("I´d rather die than lose").

Reality is the Asians are not marketable because most of them don´t have any sex appeal and don´t speak english very well, yet they are better players than the Americans.
[/quote]

Golf, like all sports is simply entertainment - players/teams need to be entertaining no matter how good they are - it's just human nature

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

[quote name='Badger_Golfer' timestamp='1360604398' post='6407051']
Id agree that Yani's biggest problem is her lack of sex appeal. When you look at Creamer, Gulbis, Wie or Ai Miyazato; theyre all beautiful women and fair or unfair, thats whats going to get peoples' attention.
[/quote]

Yani was a superstar in my book. She probably still is in Taiwan. But she has bigger problem than sex appeal these days. She needs to get her head & game back. I personally don't think she can come back. LPGA has too many new young blood coming into game every year. I just don't see too many "has been" LPGA players coming back to reclaim their glory days. Once they start to decline in mid 20s, that's all she wrote.

It's unfortunate Yani has lost her way.
I don't think she's hiding an injury.
He confidence is gone.
She was the 54 hole leader in Portland....and had a last rd collapse.

Yani is rich.....but.....maybe she should have accepted the Chinese govn't's offer to change her citizenship for $25M along with other perks.
Take the money and run.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1388703100' post='8387309']

Yani is rich.....but.....maybe she should have accepted the Chinese govn't's offer to change her citizenship for $25M along with other perks.
Take the money and run.
[/quote]

Nah. She gained huge respect from me when she declined the offer. I've seen others who change nationality for sponsorship. I think that's sad.