Royal Dornoch

ScottWS33

1 minute ago, Chanceman said:

I thought the 2nd was a par 3? If so my 2nd shot was from the swale below the green on the left. Putted up a very steep bank to one foot. Tap in par. 

I think I was to the right the first time I played there.  My first putt attempt almost made it to the green, but came back to my feet.  My second rolled just over, and down the other side.  My third was good, and I made the 8-footer for double bogey 5.  Obviously you're a better player than I am.

22 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

I thought the 2nd was a par 3? If so my 2nd shot was from the swale below the green on the left. Putted up a very steep bank to one foot. Tap in par. 

It is a par three.  Watson was speaking in terms of what you face when you miss the green from the tee - humorous but also realistic.

No bargain from off the right, either, lol.  Watching the webcam there is fun from time to time.

DSC_3831.JPG

DSC_3833.JPG

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Countdown to The Masters has begun!

10 hours ago, davep043 said:

I think I was to the right the first time I played there.  My first putt attempt almost made it to the green, but came back to my feet.  My second rolled just over, and down the other side.  My third was good, and I made the 8-footer for double bogey 5.  Obviously you're a better player than I am.

Definitely not - but I did have almost a career best round at RD. Accordingly I believe it to be the best course in the whole wide world.

• Like 4

On 9/29/2021 at 1:14 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Tom Watson famously said the hardest shot in golf was the second to the second at Royal Dornoch, lol.

hadnt read that lol!

this summer, as I said, they had left grass on the banks. You just have absolutely nothing if you miss the green anywhere other than short. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:58 PM, Chanceman said:

Definitely not - but I did have almost a career best round at RD. Accordingly I believe it to be the best course in the whole wide world.

Strangely my playing  partner also had his best round in years..

what really kills the handicap golfer on a links is the firmness, particularly to raised greens. The fairway watering addresses that, and I fully approve (I passed on Brora altogether, very expensive and completely brown)