New PING Milled Putter Line Drops - Discuss and show urs off too!

Beastmode Broker

Still haven't seen these in person yet, but if the finish is as big of an issue as you all are saying, I'm disappointed... Could be a black eye for PING after such an anticipated release black%20eye.gif

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to reiterate what JTitleist said above, Ping's website clearly states the new Anser line is made of stainless steel [b]and nickel plated[/b]. Having looked at several up close I can absolutely confirm they are nickel plated.

FWIW, the Redwoods were nickel plated as well (although they were a different color).

The finish is going to look like garbage after a few weeks. Did they even test these beforehand? Big miss by Ping.

I picked up an Anser last night, the "Scottsdale" type, with the sound slot. I agree that the finish could be a problem, but I made sure to get one that was untouched, and I take such ridiculously good care of my equipment, that I don't anticipate any issues. I went in trying to decide between the Anser, the Anser 3, and the Anser 5. I almost pulled the trigger on the 3, because the neck is different than anything else I have, but ultimately settled on the Anser. I know some are going to disagree, but for me, with the sound slot, it feels very similar to my TeI3 Newport, which is a great thing. All that being said, I do think it was a bit unwise for Ping to price these at $299. It seems like $249 would've been much better, and in line with the Redwood series.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Had my first experience of the Anser line up, I have a strong arc so the Number 4 and 6 should suit me better. They only had the No 4 at my local place and hit a few with it earlier, really liked it. Never been impressed with Ping putters before but these have my full attention. More testing is required before I pull the plug, but I llove the looks, feel balance weight etc so its only a matter of time till I have one in the bag!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I tried these the last two days and may go again at lunch today :partytime2: What has been said about the finish is true. I tried them the day before they were officially available and were not even on the floor yet and I noticed tons of scrapes and finish wear. Too bad because I thought they felt nice. I imagine within a couple of months there will be dozens of threads complaining about the finish wear. After hitting putts for a half an hour with one of them I noticed it on the face too where the ball was hitting it. Hopefully Ping will offer these in a different finish option sometime soon. Otherwise I may pick one up and have it refinished by someone else at some point. I tried them all and loved the Anser with the floating face. I wish the finish would hold up because I think the silver looks nice and different than anything else out there.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

For what it is worth, here is my short review after a visit to the store.

First Impressions:

1. I was a bit bummed that the cord grip was light grey and not black. It did feel good though.
2. I was a bit bummed and surprised that they only come in 35" and no replacement grips. I don't mind cutting it down, but it's pretty tough to save a cord grip without popping the cords.
3. I don't mind that they are all 345, but get some different lengths.
4. Only shaft band on it is the color code for the type of putting swing arc you have. Kind of cheap looking. I wanted some kind of PIng Anser shaftband.
5. My Golf Galaxy only had one and there were marks all over it. What people are saying about the finish is true.

My prediction is that these will be hitting the BST quickly after people get bothered by the distracting blemishes. I also think Ping may have to find a fix for it quickly.

[quote name='BuckeyeGolfer ' timestamp='1313167264' post='3477467']
I also think Ping may have to find a fix for it quickly.
[/quote]

If Ping is paying attention, the fix is easy--don't put the nickel plating on and just bead blast the stainless like every other 303 stainless putter. Of course that doesn't help for what's already in the pipeline.

First Impressions:

1. I was a bit bummed that the cord grip was light grey and not black. It did feel good though.
2. I was a bit bummed and surprised that they only come in 35" and no replacement grips. I don't mind cutting it down, but it's pretty tough to save a cord grip without popping the cords.
4. Only shaft band on it is the color code for the type of putting swing arc you have. Kind of cheap looking. I wanted some kind of PIng Anser shaftband.
5. My Golf Galaxy only had one and there were marks all over it. What people are saying about the finish is true.

My prediction is that these will be hitting the BST quickly after people get bothered by the distracting blemishes. I also think Ping may have to find a fix for it quickly.
[/quote]

1. Eh, I think the grey is a nice change of pace.
2. They do indeed come in other lengths. The store you went to apparently only ordered 35". I went to a PGA Tour Superstore last night, and bought a 34" model. Granted, I didn't see any 33", just 34" and 35".
3. See above.
4. I must fully agree with you on that. I'll be removing the shaftband on mine.
5. Yes, I think the finish will be a problem. I think the shops are in a bit of a no-win situation with these, and Camerons. If you lock them up, people are reluctant to try them, but if you don't lock them up, they're going to get banged up, look like crap, and they won't sell.

Just got back from the shop. I got fitted with the app and trying all of the different putters. Went into the fitting wanting the 0, but ended up stroking and liking the feel of the 1 better. The 3 looked nice with that sloping neck, and it actually has a little bit more toe hang than the other plumbers-neck models 0,1,2.

They feel great. Not as soft as a Scotty, but I take that as a good thing. They give immediate feedback as opposed to feeling mushy like the Scottys can.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

First Impressions:

[/quote]

1. I was also taken back by the grey but like the Cameron Cords that the Studio Selects have/had, its great. Hope it lasts longer though.

2. I bought at 34" #5 last night at Golf Galaxy. As far as the grip, you can buy the Cameron Cords (says Titliest) in black. Same grip but are becoming harder to find. Easier to find in red though. I had a couple as backups in black when that was my fav grip and I still have a spare red one.

3. I was surprised how great the 345g felt. Great when testing side by side my 355g VP1 Milled.

4. No comment other than I like how different the green is. Makes all the grey and silver stand out.

5. I am very careful with my equipment so I'm confident that I won't have any issues.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

Titleist Vokey SM9 S 54* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM9 M 58* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge
L.A.B. Golf DF3

[quote name='sshadow2' timestamp='1313169946' post='3477617']

First Impressions:

[/quote]

1. I was also taken back by the grey but like the Cameron Cords that the Studio Selects have/had, its great. Hope it lasts longer though.

2. I bought at 34" #5 last night at Golf Galaxy. As far as the grip, you can buy the Cameron Cords (says Titliest) in black. Same grip but are becoming harder to find. Easier to find in red though. I had a couple as backups in black when that was my fav grip and I still have a spare red one.

3. I was surprised how great the 345g felt. Great when testing side by side my 355g VP1 Milled.

4. No comment other than I like how different the green is. Makes all the grey and silver stand out.

5. I am very careful with my equipment so I'm confident that I won't have any issues.
[/quote]

Just an FYI- Do you realize that your Anser #5 is 355gr? The rest of the Ansser models are 345gr, but the 5 is 355gr...

finish will be an issue, but for $300 you should be able to purchase something with a better quality finish IMO.

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

First Impressions:

2. I was a bit bummed and surprised that they only come in 35" and [b][u]no replacement grips[/u][/b]. I don't mind cutting it down, but it's pretty tough to save a cord grip without popping the cords.

[/quote]

Where did you hear that you cannot buy the grips from an authorized PING account?

I was just told today by a local shop that they could order in just the gray cord PP58 grips for me.

Looking into getting the Anser 0. We'll see if it kicks the Circa 62 #2 out of the bag.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='whiteout73' timestamp='1313170974' post='3477682']

First Impressions:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just an FYI- Do you realize that your Anser #5 is 355gr? The rest of the Ansser models are 345gr, but the 5 is 355gr...
[/quote]

Oops, you are right. I was really referring to swingweight and I thought that at the time, I had a lighter head contributing to it. I now realize that the head wasn't lighter.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

Titleist Vokey SM9 S 54* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM9 M 58* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 Wedge
L.A.B. Golf DF3

[quote name='sshadow2' timestamp='1313177263' post='3478073']
[quote name='whiteout73' timestamp='1313170974' post='3477682']

First Impressions:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oops, you are right. I was really referring to swingweight and I thought that the time that I had a lighter head contributing to it.
[/quote]

Eh?

Had a chance to try out a few of the new Anser Milled sticks out earlier today. The golf shop had the Anser 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. I was really hoping to give the 'Anser' with the sound slot a roll, but no such luck.

Appearence - All models had a nice set up and nice lines. I really liked the neck on the 3. The 5 had a surprisingly nice set up as well.
Feel - Really nice feel, but nothing drastically different than any other 303 milled putter. Natuarlly many will make comparisons to Camerons, so compared to the studio Select line I'd say these have a slightly firmer feel than the SS's. Don't mean that in a negative way though.
Grip - Really similar to the dancing Scotty cord grips. Grayish color (I swear I thought they were black??), great soft feel yet still just firm enough for feedback on off center hits.

All in all a really nice putter although personally I couldn't justify the 299.99 price. A few of the putter heads had some lights marks here and there, nothing major or distracting though. I guess I'll have to see what they look like after a few weeks on the rack.

[quote name='rlynham' timestamp='1313177833' post='3478116']
If the finish really does wear that quickly that is a major f up from Ping. [b]You would think they would get the milled putter right the second time around.[/b] The regular Redwoods had too much glare and the black finish didn't hold up well.
[/quote]
I kind of had the same thought as I was putting with them. While they were really nice, I expected a bit more. But I'll give them another roll. Kind of hard to form much of an opinion from 30 minutes inside a golf shop guess.

I ordered a #6 today through the golf course I work at (no way I am paying 300 dollars for a Ping) and although the finish concern bothers me a bit, I can't imagine the putters would look a lot different than the old cameron pro platinum finishes that would would show small scratches on the bottom of the putter. What sold me was the feel of the putter. I kept picking up a scotty studio stainless and the ping and time and time again, the ping felt softer, but not mushy. Usually pings feel a bit clicky to me, but no so with these ones. I don't imagine the finish being a big problem as long as you make sure to throw it in your bag with the headcover on like any other expensive putter you own.

well i have the first round under my belt today w the new Anser 6

had decent round at 2 over
on a good note i didnt putt a whole bunch as i couldnt hit an effing green if i tried today and was getting up and down a lot!!! hahaha!
but when i was, i had quite a few 4 & 5 footers and basically knocked down anything i looked at
wedges worked good today as i was snuggin em up ;)

distance control was great, i left the first few short, scared of blowing it past, as this head feels hotter than any Scotty i have ever used
no need, i found i could hit it the same as my Del Mar and distance was pretty close...just feels much crisper and softer...if thats at all possible!! haha!

im really not concerned w the finish guys
i mean yeah im only 18 in, but i also have over 4+ hours on the practice green with this, as there is ZERO wear
and if it does wear, who cares
its the sole that will wear if anything and really im not at all concerned about that....it wont affect performance in any way

let's be honest...were all HO's anyways!!!

but im sure this one will stick around for a while
it better anyways, as i sold my Studio Stainless already and the Del Mar is up tomorrow....so im back to one putter and it works awesome

really happy about the purchase so far and IMO $299 is eff all in the grand scheme of things
i think PING hit the price point just fine
let's all look at our drivers, 3w and hybrids that we hit a few times a round......$299 is a GREAT price for a putter guys

my tournament is this weekend, ill report back after and let you know how the ol girl holds up in the heat of competition!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Something to keep in mind is that Ping made the Redwoods available in a special order "starshot" finish which was just a bead blasted stainless finish without the nickel plating. Maybe they will offer that with this series. It better be at no additional charge though. I think with the Redwoods it as a $39 upcharge.

Boy has Ping ripped off Scotty Cameron's Newport line of putters. You would think that Ping could come up with some original designs of their own. sarcasm.gif

I love your putter I have an Anser 4 that I love, never liked the plumbers neck versions. What is the difference between the 4 and the 6 model?

Yeah, I know how that happens. You make a stupid statement and when you get called out, it go back and claim sarcasm. You're not fooling anyone.

Boy has Ping ripped off Scotty Cameron's Newport line of putters. You would think that Ping could come up with some original designs of their own. sarcasm.gif

I love your putter I have an Anser 4 that I love, never liked the plumbers neck versions. What is the difference between the 4 and the 6 model?

Yeah, I know how that happens. You make a stupid statement and when you get called out, it go back and claim sarcasm. You're not fooling anyone.

shcool.jpg