Paint Fills

GehenHerzog

This is my first attempt, and the learning curve is still a bit steep. The club in the pic is dry fitted, and obviously not yet turned down. The flash also reveals flaws in the paint that aren't really there. I still have a wee bit of clean-up to do in the cavity. Never the less, I am having a blast with this! It is a great cure for cabin fever.

[attachment=713789:Saluki Iron.JPG]

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
TM MG on Aldila VS Proto 100 (50*, 54*, 58*)
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
2020 Srixon Z Star

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Saluki91' timestamp='1295282407' post='2903112']
This is my first attempt, and the learning curve is still a bit steep. The club in the pic is dry fitted, and obviously not yet turned down. The flash also reveals flaws in the paint that aren't really there. I still have a wee bit of clean-up to do in the cavity. Never the less, I am having a blast with this! It is a great cure for cabin fever.

[attachment=713789:Saluki Iron.JPG]
[/quote]

I think it looks good. I am new to this as well and it takes some time to get it right. Best tip I got was to use a little rubbing alcohol in the area that needs to be painted to thin the paint - tends to look better when dried.

I like the Ferrules.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='Oxygolphine' timestamp='1295128004' post='2899000']
This is a Studio Stainless Newport Beach that I painted in a University of Kentucky color theme for the owner. The putter used to be mine but I sold it to a buddy so I could buy another putter. I kind of kick myself for selling it. It is a great putter but I just didn't have the confidence in it that I have in some of my others, so it was just collecting dust. He is using it and rolls it pretty good for him. There was some surface scratches on the bottom so he had me give the sole a light polish.
[/quote]

This is one of my favorite putter styles. This and the 009 are atop my list. Looks really cool with that paint!! Good work

Has anybody tried to do paintfill on a ghost mallet? Is there a chance that if you just splash the paint over the letters and let dry, then wipe it off with acetone that the paint will stay on the white? Kind of in the process now and getting a little nervous, but know that the white club can provide some sick contrast to color.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Thought ide put up some better pics. Thinking of actually going white and blue... not sure yet tho.

[attachment=714074:IMG_0565.JPG]
[attachment=714077:IMG_0566.JPG]
[attachment=714078:IMG_0586.JPG]

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Thanks! I will try the rubbing alcohol on the 5i... 4i is already done. Thinning the paint will surely make this a little easier.

2020 Srixon Z Star

I used to do a lot of refinishing work a few years back.

Here are some of what i did back then:

very cool dude- gotta a hi.gifquestion for you- wonder if you can help me...i've got two old tp mills/spaldings that i'm trying to refinish/restore... how do i get the original black paint off the heads???

Ping G430 Max / G400 Max Drivers

Hybrids:  19* and 22* Ping G425

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

• 3 weeks later...

I got bored last night and since I have never paintfilled any of my clubs I decided to try it out. Not sure if I like it and I don't think I'm done with the irons. Need to do something with those black letters.

[attachment=723898:20110204103015.jpg]

[attachment=723899:20110204103004.jpg]

Not sure about the CG14....Felt like since my other clubs were red I needed to put red on it too but might end up changing it. Don't know.

[attachment=723900:20110204103110.jpg]

First-time attempt on a Newport 2 and a set of Vokey's.

Still need to do a final clean-up, but overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

The one spot I'm disappointed with is the right "cherry" in the cavity of the Cameron - I must have accidently dropped some red paint in there and didn't see it. It looks MUCH worse in the pictures, so I'm leaving it as-is.

Feedback welcomed.

This thread rules. I am taking on the task of re-painting all my clubs, which I did once about a year ago and is incredibly addicting. I painted my clubs each a different color last time, but I'm gonna do something a bit more uniform this time around. I'll try to post some pics when I finish it up.

I've actually got a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I ran into a little problem stripping one of my putters. It's a Bobby Grace DCT like this one:

P2230384.jpg

My problem is that the shaded insert you see there is painted to get that look obviously, and while stripping the paint from the rest of the head, the paint on the insert was removed. This wouldn't be a problem, because I don't really care if there is paint on it or not, but the bare insert is VERY grabby, causing the ball to feel like it's sticking to the face for a split second at impact, which I didn't anticipate. The painted coating was a smoother surface which would let the ball start rolling without the cover of the ball being "grabbed" by the face.

Any idea what kind of paint or coating, if any, I could apply that would give me a smooth, even, and flat surface to stop this from happening? I haven't tried anything yet, so open to any/all suggestions.

Here is what I have been working on:

Ping S-58's, Adams Tom Watson Players Grind, and two putters... all in Saluki maroon and white.

The irons and wedges began with a paint that a buddy at the local paint store mixed up for me. I really struggled with it... Sometimes it would cure, and sometimes it would not. When it did cure, it did not look as "finished" as I wanted. I finally scrapped it and went with an automotive touch-up paint, which I have been very happy with. The ferrules are from Cell-Parts.

The TPM 8 was a mess. The original finish was ratty, and the paint fill was dull and chipped. I stripped it all down, sanded and polished the bejeebers out of it, applied several coats of gun blue, and repainted with the same paint as the irons. The paint has some flake in it, so it really sparkles in the sun. The pics don't do it justice. Never the less, I'm not sure maroon is the best color.

The Yes! Tracy is my gamer, and boy did it show! I stripped all the paint, and re-filled with maroon and white. The sole and back are fine, but the jury is still out on the face...

2020 Srixon Z Star

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1295305632' post='2903981']
Has anybody tried to do paintfill on a ghost mallet? Is there a chance that if you just splash the paint over the letters and let dry, then wipe it off with acetone that the paint will stay on the white? Kind of in the process now and getting a little nervous, but know that the white club can provide some sick contrast to color.
[/quote]

I've done this before on my Cleveland. Because it had the oxide black, I didn't wanna mess around removing the black with acetone. Just paint the areas you want and give it a nice swipe to get all the paint out besides whats left. It may take a couple tries, but it works.

5c8b1970.jpg

What would you guys do with this?

Prefer elegant to obnoxious, and will be shafted with a Rifle.

Will fit a matching/complementary NDMC grip.

It's raw steel and will rust eventually.

White/Black/Metallic Silver combo? Or,,, sky blue? Or,,,

Since these pics I changed them all to the yellow with white numbers. While I know the stamping isnt for everybody, I actually like it and it was fun to do. At least this can give you an idea of some color options since they're the same wedges. Oh and they all have matching yellow and black grips.

[quote name='G-Love07' timestamp='1297365015' post='2966212']
Here are a few pics of my recent painting spree. Two Vokey 200 series wedges, Titleist 695 CB's and an Adams Insight 3 wood. Ill have some more up soon.
[/quote]

What did you use for the white finish? How does it hold up to a little bit of contact? (ie, banging around in the bag)

[quote name='ZawieruchaA' timestamp='1297367687' post='2966329']
[quote name='G-Love07' timestamp='1297365015' post='2966212']
Here are a few pics of my recent painting spree. Two Vokey 200 series wedges, Titleist 695 CB's and an Adams Insight 3 wood. Ill have some more up soon.
[/quote]

What did you use for the white finish? How does it hold up to a little bit of contact? (ie, banging around in the bag)
[/quote]

I used your every day white spray paint but I bought a seperate clear coat. I used 6 very light coats of white and then 2 layers of the clear coat. I havent taken it to the course yet, its still snowing in Memphis. But it has handled a few bangs around the house just fine. Ill have it in play this weekend and Ill get back to ya on it.

5c8b1970.jpg

What would you guys do with this?

Prefer elegant to obnoxious, and will be shafted with a Rifle.

Will fit a matching/complementary NDMC grip.

It's raw steel and will rust eventually.

White/Black/Metallic Silver combo? Or,,, sky blue? Or,,,

Since these pics I changed them all to the yellow with white numbers. While I know the stamping isnt for everybody, I actually like it and it was fun to do. At least this can give you an idea of some color options since they're the same wedges. Oh and they all have matching yellow and black grips.

Did you do the stamping yourself? If so where did you get the stamping set....price? Worth my time to get my own set or just pay someone?

[quote name='Saluki91' timestamp='1297214576' post='2961629']
Here is what I have been working on:

Ping S-58's, Adams Tom Watson Players Grind, and two putters... all in Saluki maroon and white.

The irons and wedges began with a paint that a buddy at the local paint store mixed up for me. I really struggled with it... Sometimes it would cure, and sometimes it would not. When it did cure, it did not look as "finished" as I wanted. I finally scrapped it and went with an automotive touch-up paint, which I have been very happy with. The ferrules are from Cell-Parts.

The TPM 8 was a mess. The original finish was ratty, and the paint fill was dull and chipped. I stripped it all down, sanded and polished the bejeebers out of it, applied several coats of gun blue, and repainted with the same paint as the irons. The paint has some flake in it, so it really sparkles in the sun. The pics don't do it justice. Never the less, I'm not sure maroon is the best color.

The Yes! Tracy is my gamer, and boy did it show! I stripped all the paint, and re-filled with maroon and white. The sole and back are fine, but the jury is still out on the face...
[/quote]

Cool job- what did you use for the paintfill- some kind of pen? as to the yes putter...i am thinking of doing something with the two mint, and i mean mint sophia's that i have...did you worry at all about the c groove insert? thanks- drew in nc

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

[quote name='ZawieruchaA' timestamp='1297362422' post='2966110']
Torched to different degrees, and then paint fill. Callaway X Tour is gold, the vokey is gold with blueish sole, and the Vokey 8620 is charcoal grey. No im not a steelers fan, but lets face it, black and yellow is a nice combo.
[/quote]

i would love to make some of my putters have that torched look---- how do you do that? what can i use to torch my putters and how long do you do it, and what can of temps are we talking? thanks a ton for any help you can provide- drew in nc

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes