Your clubs are too heavy if........

I get fitting for lie/loft/length as there are concrete numbers/data to look at to determine if a club is too flat (lie board), to short (impact tape), loft (trajectory), but I always wondered how fitters determine what the correct weight of a club should be for a player. I switched from 105g shafts this year to 130g after being fitted, however I wondered how the fitter knew I would be better off in heavier clubs. Now I am starting to think that maybe the heavier clubs are throwing off my tempo. I am sure it's all in my head but thought I would ask.

In search of solid contact...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

45 posts and not one comment regarding the fact that swingweight cannot be compared directly between different clubs.   Swingweight is not a measure of weight and it is not an absolute measurement tha

I'm not surprised.  There is a lot of potentially confusing and conflicting information in the thread.   Yes, club static weight and club swing weight are separate measurements.   The confus

alright boys, play nice now...

Heavier shafts could very well throw off your tempo. It took me a little while to get adjusted to my heavier swing weighted irons and driver but I feel I am greatly benefiting from the added weight in the accuracy department. The heavier shafts could go either 2 ways for you. You could adjust to them after a lot of range and course time with them and do fine. Or it could be detrimental and screw up your tempo/swing for a long time unless you go back to the lighter 105 gram shafts.

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

[quote name='acquadiice' timestamp='1316793650' post='3585285']
i think i need heavier clubs to slow down my tempo

might get like a D8 or something
[/quote]

D8?! You're kidding right?

[quote name='Ben B' timestamp='1316795198' post='3585366']

[/quote]

You gonna have to get more than heavier shafts to get the swing weight up to a D8.
[/quote]

2 strips of lead tape on the head should do it......

In search of solid contact...

[quote name='GQnGolf' timestamp='1316799236' post='3585519']

[/quote]

You gonna have to get more than heavier shafts to get the swing weight up to a D8.
[/quote]

[/quote]

2 strips on my MP32's with DGS300's are at D3, not to mention they are a half inch long. D8 would be...well...like swinging a 910D2 with a 12 gram weight and a 70 gram shaft at 45".

[quote name='ThomasM' timestamp='1316801970' post='3585644']
[quote name='GQnGolf' timestamp='1316799236' post='3585519']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

2 strips on my MP32's with DGS300's are at D3, not to mention they are a half inch long. D8 would be...well...like swinging a 910D2 with a 12 gram weight and a 70 gram shaft at 45".
[/quote]

I have a 10 and 12 grams weights in my R11 dot. I think it comes out to D6 or D7. D8 would be quite heavy.

this is all kind of funny to me, i just switched from an E6 down to a D2 and am really not liking the lighter clubs. the old clubs were DCI990 S300 lite sensicore extended 13/4". being 23 years old and 6'9" i really liked the heavy feel, also a baseball player it feels a little more natural. And you all are freaking out about a D6....

[i]Generalization[/i] - swingweight preference is usually tempo related.

[b]Smooth[/b] swingers (with slower change of direction from back swing to forward swing) can go lighter and see benefits.

[b]Aggressive[/b] swingers (with quicker change of direction from back swing to forward swing) benefit from heavier swingweight.

If you aren't exhausted after playing 18 from swinging and carrying them, they probably aren't too heavy.

Heck, my driver swingweigts E1 and it goes plenty far. Don't fear swingweight. Get your clubs fitted to your tempo.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Project X-10A2 (The Dog's Balls!)

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Project X-10A2 (The Dog's Balls Part Deux)

Mizuno CLK 21° Hybrid / Project X-HA1 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 5-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07 /  Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno T20 Raw 54-08 / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Mizuno T20 Raw 60-10 / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1316810899' post='3586068']
If you aren't exhausted after playing 18 from swinging and carrying them, they probably aren't too heavy.

Heck, my driver swingweigts E1 and it goes plenty far. Don't fear swingweight. Get your clubs fitted to your tempo.
[/quote]

anyway to make your irons heavier without lead tape?

[quote name='georgiaboy' timestamp='1316806766' post='3585887']
this is all kind of funny to me, i just switched from an E6 down to a D2 and am really not liking the lighter clubs. the old clubs were DCI990 S300 lite sensicore extended 13/4". being 23 years old and 6'9" i really liked the heavy feel, also a baseball player it feels a little more natural. And you all are freaking out about a D6....
[/quote]

Wow, can you say pissing contest? 23 and a huge ego at that. :rolleyes:

what part of that came off as a huge ego? all i said is that i prefer "heavy" clubs because I'm tall and never knew that extended clubs made that much of a swing weight change.... so to the OP too heavy is a feel thing. Thanks for over thinking that tho!

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1316813110' post='3586137']
[/quote]

[/quote]

you static weight or your swing weight? two different things.

[quote name='acquadiice' timestamp='1316810987' post='3586069']

[/quote]

anyway to make your irons heavier without lead tape?
[/quote]

[quote name='georgiaboy' timestamp='1316813725' post='3586155']
what part of that came off as a huge ego? all i said is that i prefer "heavy" clubs because I'm tall and never knew that extended clubs made that much of a swing weight change.... so to the OP too heavy is a feel thing. Thanks for over thinking that tho!

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1316813110' post='3586137']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

The first line and your last line just didn't sound right. If I misinterpretted your post then I apologize.

yeah you kind of did misinterpret it but it's fine, if you hadn't called that out chances are more people would do the same. my take on swing weight is this. the only real reason swing weight is around is because back in the day when clubs weren't made to the same kind of small specs they are now the needed a scale to go bye to make the set's feel the same. now adays the clubs are so well made that they all weigh the same, so there really isn't a need to have a scale anymore. I could be wrong about this, but, if someone comes into my store and tells me that the want two strips of lead tape in the middle of all there irons to make there swing weight from a D1 to a D3... well i just dont think they could tell the difference. people do and always will over think this game and swing weight is just another one of the things most weekend golfers shouldn't even get in there heads. Sorry for the rant, take that with a grain of salt...

[quote name='georgiaboy' timestamp='1316816452' post='3586255']
yeah you kind of did misinterpret it but it's fine, if you hadn't called that out chances are more people would do the same. my take on swing weight is this. the only real reason swing weight is around is because back in the day when clubs weren't made to the same kind of small specs they are now the needed a scale to go bye to make the set's feel the same. now adays the clubs are so well made that they all weigh the same, so there really isn't a need to have a scale anymore. I could be wrong about this, but, if someone comes into my store and tells me that the want two strips of lead tape in the middle of all there irons to make there swing weight from a D1 to a D3... well i just dont think they could tell the difference. people do and always will over think this game and swing weight is just another one of the things most weekend golfers shouldn't even get in there heads. Sorry for the rant, take that with a grain of salt...
[/quote]

Water under the bridge then. I do sincerely apologize for my previous post.

[quote name='1puttwoods' timestamp='1316794959' post='3585352']
Sometimes lighter shafts cause someone to come over the top more and heavier shafts help some people drop it inside more. Not in all instances but in certain cases.
[/quote]

that certainly was the case for me when I moved from Nippon 950s to DG S300 - so much better ball contact - tighter dispersion - and thanks to getting through the ball in a better position picked up half a club distance

I shot my lowest round last weekend with a set of clubs sw at D0. I swung heavier sw clubs before, liked the flight and all but my problem is toward the end of the round it takes an effort to swing that heavier club and not to mention that I'm already tired from carrying such a heavy bag. Heavier sw clubs were also killer to my joints... And I'm not 40 yet.

[quote name='georgiaboy' timestamp='1316816452' post='3586255']
[/quote]

I am going to disagree with you a little here. In fact you kind of contradicted yourself a little, but I think swing weight is a spec that is extremely overlooked and underrated among amateur golfers, mainly because they have no clue because they have never been fitted or never been fitted properly. I agree that 99% of weekend golfers are not going to notice 1-2 points in swing weight. But that's not to say swing weight isn't important. You even said that for yourself that you do not like clubs that have a light swing weight. Personally I believe that clubs today are way too light. Lighter clubs promote faster and hard arm swing which increases swing speed in a completely wrong way and leads to a lot of swing faults. I am not saying that everyone needs to be playing clubs that have a D6+ swing weight. But swing weight should be an important part of a club fitting. You need to figure out the range that fits you best. You should be able to tell if a club feels to light or too heavy and then shoot for the middle. If D1 feels light and D6 feels heavy than you want your clubs to be around D3-D4 ( would recommend D4, D5 if you are looking for even more control), which is probably where most people would be anyways.

A great example of how a heavier club can help the swing is the Momentus Swing Trainer. It's amazing to watch someone swing their normal club and then swing the Momentus. It literally can be a night and day difference. Of course you don't want your clubs that heavy, but it does in fact prove that a heavier club helps promote proper swing plane, setting the club properly at the top, and dropping the club inside on the downswing. The reason it works is that it forces you to use your big muscles to control the club because of the weight instead of simply using your arms. Lighter clubs tend to promote an all arms swing. The club gets taken back quickly inside, the arms lift the club up to the top and across the line, from there the arms throw the club down at the ball. Try doing that with a Momentus without injuring yourself.

So I think proper swing weighting is important. But, [b]when is the swing weight too heavy?...[/b]Some people say that if you feel tired from swinging by the middle of the back nine than your clubs are too heavy. I would say that they might be perfect. This means that you are using your larger muscle more than you are use too. That's a good thing. It just means that you need to stop doing curls and bench pressing and work on strengthening your legs, abs, and back. Swing weight is too heavy when it drastically slows your swing speed down, and you can feel that the club is too heavy.

[/quote]

i completely agree with this. i worked all year on my swing and was really bombing my driver with an 85g axivcore in it. I was hitting it so straight i figured, hey i can go to a lighter shaft and gain some distance - WRONG. The lighter shaft messed with my tempo and me getting "in the slot" and i ended up hitting less fairways. Now I'm headed back to the heavy shaft! I find that a very heavy sw D7-E1 really helps me maintain control and hit more fairways, i never saw any loss in distance. If you swing like ernie els, you can probably go super light, but if you have an aggressive tempo and a quick, hard transition, heavy could really help.

On a related note I find this to be the biggest shortcoming of most golf shops and fitters, very few have 80g driver shafts for people to try out, or clubs that are of reasonable length. Do 50g 46" shafts work for some, sure, but there are a lot of people who would hit it way better with a 44.5" 80g shaft.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]