Your clubs are too heavy if........

Lefty_3Jack

This goes out to Ben B, I had a momentus and it destroyed my swing for a month because I used it to warm up and I didn't think much of it....

Then I started coming over the top, which I have never done, ever. The heavy weight natural wanted to fall to across the line for me and I hated it. I have a speedstik now and I find that does the trick just fine.

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1316883274' post='3587781']
This goes out to Ben B, I had a momentus and it destroyed my swing for a month because I used it to warm up and I didn't think much of it....

Then I started coming over the top, which I have never done, ever. The heavy weight natural wanted to fall to across the line for me and I hated it. I have a speedstik now and I find that does the trick just fine.
[/quote]

Well, I have had many people use it and when it is swung correctly it works really well. Most people think you just pick it up and swing it the way you would with a normal club but you don't. There is actually a technique for using it. I have found that when you swing is correctly it gets you in a nice position at the top and with proper transferring of the weight it falls nicely inside.

Ben i agree with a lot of what you are saying here and yes i did contradict myself a little. i did say swing weight was a lost art and then went on to say that i like a heavy swing weight. I went from a E6 to a D1 that's a pretty big swing (pun intended :rolleyes:) I am also coming from a different perspective than most people i feel like on this forum. I'm coming from the local golf shop that most people that come in don't know what swing weight is and aren't consistent enough to really be fit and benefit like a better golfer would. I dont think that even a pretty good 12HC would really notice a change in swing weight, they might notice that something in their swing is changing, maybe over the top, or whatever it could cause. But the actual weight change i wouldn't buy them feeling. I would call myself a good 9 HC i'll shoot low 80's on a good day and what feels like a really bad day. i noticed that my new clubs did feel lighter swinging them but not a lot lighter, didn't realize that i had made a switch that most good golfers would consider a HUGE change. I king of look at it like this, if you dont know what swing weight is, than keep on not knowing because chances are you aren't good enough to benefit from it. I wish i would've never started learning all this stuff because now i want to spend every dime i have on playing with it. But yes i do think that if you are going to get fit it IS something that a good fitting should cover and at least talk about. I'd like to take a survey of how many people actually know what effects swing weight. most people i feel like don't know that the static weight of a club doesn't mean much, it's where the weight is. The sincecore inserts are what 4 grams added to the club but they don't change swing weight one bit because of where they are designed to sit in the shaft.

[quote name='Ben B' timestamp='1316873187' post='3587490']
[quote name='georgiaboy' timestamp='1316816452' post='3586255']
yeah you kind of did misinterpret it but it's fine, if you hadn't called that out chances are more people would do the same. my take on swing weight is this. the only real reason swing weight is around is because back in the day when clubs weren't made to the same kind of small specs they are now the needed a scale to go bye to make the set's feel the same. now adays the clubs are so well made that they all weigh the same, so there really isn't a need to have a scale anymore. I could be wrong about this, but, if someone comes into my store and tells me that the want two strips of lead tape in the middle of all there irons to make there swing weight from a D1 to a D3... well i just dont think they could tell the difference. people do and always will over think this game and swing weight is just another one of the things most weekend golfers shouldn't even get in there heads. Sorry for the rant, take that with a grain of salt...
[/quote]

I am going to disagree with you a little here. In fact you kind of contradicted yourself a little, but I think swing weight is a spec that is extremely overlooked and underrated among amateur golfers, mainly because they have no clue because they have never been fitted or never been fitted properly. I agree that 99% of weekend golfers are not going to notice 1-2 points in swing weight. But that's not to say swing weight isn't important. You even said that for yourself that you do not like clubs that have a light swing weight. Personally I believe that clubs today are way too light. Lighter clubs promote faster and hard arm swing which increases swing speed in a completely wrong way and leads to a lot of swing faults. I am not saying that everyone needs to be playing clubs that have a D6+ swing weight. But swing weight should be an important part of a club fitting. You need to figure out the range that fits you best. You should be able to tell if a club feels to light or too heavy and then shoot for the middle. If D1 feels light and D6 feels heavy than you want your clubs to be around D3-D4 ( would recommend D4, D5 if you are looking for even more control), which is probably where most people would be anyways.

A great example of how a heavier club can help the swing is the Momentus Swing Trainer. It's amazing to watch someone swing their normal club and then swing the Momentus. It literally can be a night and day difference. Of course you don't want your clubs that heavy, but it does in fact prove that a heavier club helps promote proper swing plane, setting the club properly at the top, and dropping the club inside on the downswing. The reason it works is that it forces you to use your big muscles to control the club because of the weight instead of simply using your arms. Lighter clubs tend to promote an all arms swing. The club gets taken back quickly inside, the arms lift the club up to the top and across the line, from there the arms throw the club down at the ball. Try doing that with a Momentus without injuring yourself.

So I think proper swing weighting is important. But, [b]when is the swing weight too heavy?...[/b]Some people say that if you feel tired from swinging by the middle of the back nine than your clubs are too heavy. I would say that they might be perfect. This means that you are using your larger muscle more than you are use too. That's a good thing. It just means that you need to stop doing curls and bench pressing and work on strengthening your legs, abs, and back. Swing weight is too heavy when it drastically slows your swing speed down, and you can feel that the club is too heavy.
[/quote]

My pro put me in lighter shafts because I wasn't getting into the right positions with the club. I have a very weak lower back because of injuries. The whole bending forward thing kills me. Funny thing is I'm a big strong guy, except for my lower back. I really like the feel of heavier shafts, but they wear me out.

Ping Anser 10 deg Driver (Oban Devotion 6-4 Shaft)
Ping Anser 3 Wood (XS stock shaft)
Ping Anser 5 Wood (XS Blueboard)
Ping Anser 23 and 27 Hybrids (Titleist 92g Whiteboard shafts)
Ping Anser (Gen 2) 6-W irons (PX55 shafts, D4 SW)
Scotty Cameron California Fastback (+180g in shaft, Super Stroke 3 grip)
Ping Anser 50, 54 Wedges
Ping Glide 58 Wedge (+1/4)

• 5 years later...

yeah you kind of did misinterpret it but it's fine, if you hadn't called that out chances are more people would do the same. my take on swing weight is this. the only real reason swing weight is around is because back in the day when clubs weren't made to the same kind of small specs they are now the needed a scale to go bye to make the set's feel the same. now adays the clubs are so well made that they all weigh the same, so there really isn't a need to have a scale anymore. I could be wrong about this, but, if someone comes into my store and tells me that the want two strips of lead tape in the middle of all there irons to make there swing weight from a D1 to a D3... well i just dont think they could tell the difference. people do and always will over think this game and swing weight is just another one of the things most weekend golfers shouldn't even get in there heads. Sorry for the rant, take that with a grain of salt...

I am going to disagree with you a little here. In fact you kind of contradicted yourself a little, but I think swing weight is a spec that is extremely overlooked and underrated among amateur golfers, mainly because they have no clue because they have never been fitted or never been fitted properly. I agree that 99% of weekend golfers are not going to notice 1-2 points in swing weight. But that's not to say swing weight isn't important. You even said that for yourself that you do not like clubs that have a light swing weight. Personally I believe that clubs today are way too light. Lighter clubs promote faster and hard arm swing which increases swing speed in a completely wrong way and leads to a lot of swing faults. I am not saying that everyone needs to be playing clubs that have a D6+ swing weight. But swing weight should be an important part of a club fitting. You need to figure out the range that fits you best. You should be able to tell if a club feels to light or too heavy and then shoot for the middle. If D1 feels light and D6 feels heavy than you want your clubs to be around D3-D4 ( would recommend D4, D5 if you are looking for even more control), which is probably where most people would be anyways.

A great example of how a heavier club can help the swing is the Momentus Swing Trainer. It's amazing to watch someone swing their normal club and then swing the Momentus. It literally can be a night and day difference. Of course you don't want your clubs that heavy, but it does in fact prove that a heavier club helps promote proper swing plane, setting the club properly at the top, and dropping the club inside on the downswing. The reason it works is that it forces you to use your big muscles to control the club because of the weight instead of simply using your arms. Lighter clubs tend to promote an all arms swing. The club gets taken back quickly inside, the arms lift the club up to the top and across the line, from there the arms throw the club down at the ball. Try doing that with a Momentus without injuring yourself.

So I think proper swing weighting is important. But, when is the swing weight too heavy?...Some people say that if you feel tired from swinging by the middle of the back nine than your clubs are too heavy. I would say that they might be perfect. This means that you are using your larger muscle more than you are use too. That's a good thing. It just means that you need to stop doing curls and bench pressing and work on strengthening your legs, abs, and back. Swing weight is too heavy when it drastically slows your swing speed down, and you can feel that the club is too heavy.

Wow! this is absolutely what I experienced. Almost an epiphany from reading this.

Sometimes lighter shafts cause someone to come over the top more and heavier shafts help some people drop it inside more. Not in all instances but in certain cases.

Yes, back in the stone ages (60's) the theory was a too heavy club weight or swing weight caused you to come over the top as you tried to muscle the extra weight. I agree with you that it is not the same in all instances.

Drivers weighted 14 ounces back then, 400 grams!! Some current tour players tried the old stuff at the Colonial this year, hilarious results.

Old topic, but even though the average joe can not detect the difference of 2-3 swing weights, the club flex will change and there would be a change in the ball flight.

I'm a club ho, that doesn't get fit. Been there done that, wasn't impressed. I'd rather tinker than be forced to live with the results of paying retail at the mercy of a fitter.

At 6 feet with a 110 mph driver SS, men's standard with S flex are in the ball park.

What baffles me is how heavy my latest irons with kbs tours FEEL. They feel very heavy and clunky to me. I measured them against my previous set with PX flighted 6.0, and they are nearly identical static weight.

Only explanation is the new set with KBS is 1/4 inch longer. Standard 5 iron is 38 instead of 37.75.

People say 1/4 inch won't matter and won't change the feel. I believe it will.

What baffles me is how heavy my latest irons with kbs tours FEEL. They feel very heavy and clunky to me. I measured them against my previous set with PX flighted 6.0, and they are nearly identical static weight.

Only explanation is the new set with KBS is 1/4 inch longer.

No that's not the only explaination. Have you checked and compared the swing weights in those two sets? Many of the KBS shafts are butt heavy and will SW lighter then the PX's

I'm a club ho, that doesn't get fit. Been there done that, wasn't impressed. I'd rather tinker than be forced to live with the results of paying retail at the mercy of a fitter.

At 6 feet with a 110 mph driver SS, men's standard with S flex are in the ball park.

Only explanation is the new set with KBS is 1/4 inch longer. Standard 5 iron is 38 instead of 37.75.

People say 1/4 inch won't matter and won't change the feel. I believe it will.

I have had many clubfits over the years and now realise the fitting kit is the reason I have been going backwards for 20 years. I recently decided to book in with a clubmaker instead of a clubfitter and he suggested I was in between stiff and extra stiff. He gave me a 6 iron to take away and try and I hit shots I've never hit. Higher launch, lower spin, an extra 7-8 metres and so easy to swing. We are still tinkering to find the exact specs I need but it's great to swing a club again.

The problem with the fitting kit is I would try an X and say " that is too stiff for me" I must be an S. But the S was just a bit too soft so the spin rate would be a bit high and the ball was travelling left. I am a right brainer who adjusts quickly to the gear so I would start hanging on to the club and hitting down to stop it going left. The fitter would then go half an inch over length and heavier to get the ball in the middle of the face tape and say that I had to work on reducing my angle of attack. The length and weight were compensations for not having the right flex. I'm sure the clubs I used as a kid weren't the right specs for me but at least I could launch the ball and get some carry.

As soon as I started swinging the clubmakers 6 iron my stance opened up, the angle of attack became shallower, I didn't even notice I had taken a divot and my swing was more upright. It is standard length, has a DG superlight shaft and the ball is in the middle of the face tape. The process is not instant like it would be from a fitting kit and requires some patience but the current results leave the fitting kit for dead.

• Like 1

90% of golfers would probably do better with heavier clubs, and actually hit the ball farther (on avg). Even older folks. D4-5 is probably a good weight for most people....

Mass + muscle control = distance. Without muscle control, lighter weight is just what the market demands for most beginning players to market and sell clubs as easier to hit. I tried to move down in weight a few seasons ago thinking I was super efficient and not muscly... All it did was make it harder to hit down on the ball, and brouught my ball-flight up really high. I'm used to as I've always played in the 110-130 gram range and had to do some work to manipulate my swing to not sweep quite as much, but I gave up on those clubs after about 7 rounds (Rocketbladez) preferring the weight.

Is it possible you're hitting down on the ball more than you're used to?

No that's not the only explaination. Have you checked and compared the swing weights in those two sets? Many of the KBS shafts are butt heavy and will SW lighter then the PX's

The new KBS clubs are D3 and the old were D1. So swingweight is a slight factor. From a specs perspective the obvious answer I believe would be to cut the KBS down 1/4 inch and thus having them play somewhere near D1.5

The new KBS clubs are D3 and the old were D1. So swingweight is a slight factor. From a specs perspective the obvious answer I believe would be to cut the KBS down 1/4 inch and thus having them play somewhere near D1.5

Yes, that's the easiest way to lower the swing weight - assuming the change in length doesn't cause any problems in the shorter clubs (which is unlikely). If you want to test that out before doing anything permanent, just choke up to see if it helps the feel.

I'm coming from the local golf shop that most people that come in don't know what swing weight is and aren't consistent enough to really be fit and benefit like a better golfer would.

You may be the worst possible local golf shop employee in the world. Have you ever fit someone? I'm guessing if you have they hate their equipment. If you had any experience you would know that most every golfer is actually pretty consistent. Some are consistent with center face contact and others are just consistently toe or heel contact. Too many people who are ignorant such as yourself get caught up in ball flight and immediately say "oh they're inconsistent." Wrong. In terms of fitting, your better golfers will adjust over time even with the worst possible fitting clubs ever. Your lesser players will always benefit from every little tiny advantage because they NEED it! They're not good enough to adjust. IMO You have the complete wrong attitude for any position in the golf industry.

45 posts and not one comment regarding the fact that swingweight cannot be compared directly between different clubs.

Swingweight is not a measure of weight and it is not an absolute measurement that can be used to compare your clubs to your buddy's (or anyone else for that matter) unless all the components are identical (heads, shafts, grips, ferrules, etc.). Swingweight should be re-termed as swing-balance because it is the measure of the static club balance about a point 14" from the butt end.

You can build a club that is very light weight, but measure E1 swingweight while also able to build a very heavy club that measures C8. The heavy C8 club will take much more effort to swing than the light E1 club.

Please take this new understanding into your future conversation and stop quoting swingweights as if they mean something outside of the context of your own set of irons (or wedges, etc.). Swingweight matching is about matching the static measurement across the same clubs within the set (all using the same components). It's absolutely meaningless used in any other manner.

• Like 2

45 posts and not one comment regarding the fact that swingweight cannot be compared directly between different clubs.

Swingweight is not a measure of weight and it is not an absolute measurement that can be used to compare your clubs to your buddy's (or anyone else for that matter) unless all the components are identical (heads, shafts, grips, ferrules, etc.). Swingweight should be re-termed as swing-balance because it is the measure of the static club balance about a point 14" from the butt end.

You can build a club that is very light weight, but measure E1 swingweight while also able to build a very heavy club that measures C8. The heavy C8 club will take much more effort to swing than the light E1 club.

Please take this new understanding into your future conversation and stop quoting swingweights as if they mean something outside of the context of your own set of irons (or wedges, etc.). Swingweight matching is about matching the static measurement across the same clubs within the set (all using the same components). It's absolutely meaningless used in any other manner.

Very true, this is why I mentioned the static weight of my irons are identical when asking other to weigh in on my conundrum.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's not an old problem especially for us geezers. I played Snake Eyes blades with TT Gold S-300 for 20 years. 2 years ago I had a Widowmaker heart attack and was in cardiac arrest for 5 minutes. The result is that I have a lot of residual pain in my shoulders, stiffness and range of motion issues that I'm working on. Mostly I had just arm weakness and overall body weakness. After I got back on the course, I found that my five, six and seven iron were all going the same distance. After a lot of research, I purchased a used set of Mizuno MP 60s standard everything. I've used those for close to a year and I'm getting stronger and I want to go back to blades. I tried going back to my snake eyes, but they just seem heavy to me, which means I can hit them really well but not consistently. I ordered the demo Icon clubs from Hogan company, with the same shaft as my snake eyes. Those are 130 g, and I'm thinking about going to the KBS 120 g shaft. I just wonder if that 10 g is going to make that much of a difference? I have a swing speed of 98.

41 minutes ago, Daddysflying said:

I know this is an old thread, but it's not an old problem especially for us geezers. I played Snake Eyes blades with TT Gold S-300 for 20 years. 2 years ago I had a Widowmaker heart attack and was in cardiac arrest for 5 minutes. The result is that I have a lot of residual pain in my shoulders, stiffness and range of motion issues that I'm working on. Mostly I had just arm weakness and overall body weakness. After I got back on the course, I found that my five, six and seven iron were all going the same distance. After a lot of research, I purchased a used set of Mizuno MP 60s standard everything. I've used those for close to a year and I'm getting stronger and I want to go back to blades. I tried going back to my snake eyes, but they just seem heavy to me, which means I can hit them really well but not consistently. I ordered the demo Icon clubs from Hogan company, with the same shaft as my snake eyes. Those are 130 g, and I'm thinking about going to the KBS 120 g shaft. I just wonder if that 10 g is going to make that much of a difference? I have a swing speed of 98.

10 grams can make a significant difference for some.  It changes the feel a bit and increases SW by a point or two I believe.  I know for me, I have to play D3 or D4 in my irons or else it will throw my swing off.  I usually find that my shots go left if it's too light.  I also prefer 125 to 130 gram shafts.  Not a fan of putting lead tape on my clubs. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

23 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

10 grams can make a significant difference for some.  It changes the feel a bit and increases SW by a point or two I believe.  I know for me, I have to play D3 or D4 in my irons or else it will throw my swing off.  I usually find that my shots go left if it's too light.  I also prefer 125 to 130 gram shafts.  Not a fan of putting lead tape on my clubs. 

Okay that's another question I had, with regard to swing weight. Because, if I understand swing weight (which I probably don't) subtracting 10 g from the shaft might actually increase swing weight, do you think that's possible? In other words, more of the weight is in the head and would therefore tend to have more of an acceleration feel to it. I don't know, that's just intuitive on my part. I'm probably way off. Thank you for your response!

• Like 1

Heavier shaft weight and or swing weight is more important to fast tempo, stronger hitters.  Good fitter should be able to quickly identify that.  Maybe I say that because I have always been one.  I look down at the ball and just want to hit it as hard as I can. 

Currently, I am testing a new lightweight graphite shaft designed for really strong players.  The shaft is actually lighter than my 115g PX 5.5 shafts I currently play, and the Steelfiber i110g stiff shafts in the garage, but it feels stiffer.  With these new graphite, my SS is increasing as well as club distance.  I am digging the test shaft so far.  The other day I hit 3i consistently over 200yds, and I am 70.  Damn, I love how technology is helping me stay competitive. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Heavier shaft weight and or swing weight is more important to fast tempo, stronger hitters.  Good fitter should be able to quickly identify that.  Maybe I say that because I have always been one.  I look down at the ball and just want to hit it as hard as I can. 

Currently, I am testing a new lightweight graphite shaft designed for really strong players.  The shaft is actually lighter than my Steelfiber i110g stiff shafts, but feel stiffer.  My SS is increasing as well as distance.  I am digging the test shaft so far.  The other day I hit 3i consistently over 200yds, and I am 70.  Damn, I love how technology is helping me stay competitive. 

Seems like you're old enough to know longer isn't necessarily better 😁

7 hours ago, Daddysflying said:

2 years ago I had a Widowmaker heart attack and was in cardiac arrest for 5 minutes.

Glad you made it through.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

1 hour ago, Daddysflying said:

Seems like you're old enough to know longer isn't necessarily better 😁

Yep, at 70yrs it sounds old, but I play like a 40/50yr old. 

7 hours ago, Daddysflying said:

Noticeable depends on how sensitive you are and if the shaft profiles are different or similar.

My current shafts are 115grams, high bend with stiff tip.  The shafts I am testing are 15grams lighter really high bend point and stiff tip.  I don't notice the difference as much because swing weight of each 3 iron is the same D2. 

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 9/23/2011 at 4:42 AM, Lefty_3Jack said:

I get fitting for lie/loft/length as there are concrete numbers/data to look at to determine if a club is too flat (lie board), to short (impact tape), loft (trajectory), but I always wondered how fitters determine what the correct weight of a club should be for a player. I switched from 105g shafts this year to 130g after being fitted, however I wondered how the fitter knew I would be better off in heavier clubs. Now I am starting to think that maybe the heavier clubs are throwing off my tempo. I am sure it's all in my head but thought I would ask.

Higher swing weight and heavier clubs can definitely affect tempo. 

I personally like a heavier swing weight to help me keep from having too quick of a tempo. If the swing weight is too light, I feel like I'm swinging air. 

Back when I got fit (20 years ago), graphite shafts were only for super-light clubs. They hadn't really gotten the heavier graphites we see today. At the time I told my fitter that I couldn't hit a graphite-shafted driver at all, because I couldn't feel it when I swung. I ended up with a steel-shafted driver and FW in that set and hit them better than I'd ever hit any store-bought graphite club. Previously the only other driver I could hit was an old persimmon driver I'd picked up at a Play It Again sports... 

Obviously technology has improved significantly in the past 20 years, so my comment about graphite shafts no longer applies. But I'm getting back into the game and thinking of being re-fit for new clubs, and while my set may not carry quite the same weight my current set has (given I'm 20 years older), I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near D2. 

As for "what is too heavy?", I think the point below on if it's making you tired to swing over the course of a round, it might be too heavy. Likewise if it feels "wrong", it might be too heavy. 25 grams in shaft weight is only about 3 swing weight points, so that shouldn't be an ENORMOUS difference, but if it's throwing you off, it's throwing you off.

On 9/23/2011 at 8:39 AM, georgiaboy said:

this is all kind of funny to me, i just switched from an E6 down to a D2 and am really not liking the lighter clubs. the old clubs were DCI990 S300 lite sensicore extended 13/4". being 23 years old and 6'9" i really liked the heavy feel, also a baseball player it feels a little more natural. And you all are freaking out about a D6....

I'm similar. I'm not quite as tall (6'5") but my 5I is 39.5", so my clubs are about 1.5" long, and although I don't know all the swing weights of my set, my PW has been measured at an E4 SW. I actually like the heavy swing weight for tempo purposes...

On 9/23/2011 at 9:48 AM, stage1350 said:

If you aren't exhausted after playing 18 from swinging and carrying them, they probably aren't too heavy.

Heck, my driver swingweigts E1 and it goes plenty far. Don't fear swingweight. Get your clubs fitted to your tempo.

Remember, some of us (me) swing the club a lot more times in 18 holes than some of y'all! 

I don't get tired from playing 18, but mashing a large bucket at the range--~100 balls, one after another--does wear me out a bit. Need to start working on fitness level now that I'm over 40. Seems my body doesn't like some of the things it did when I was @georgiaboy's age... Or heck, even his age now given that the thread is 10 years old. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

For me, too heavy causes fat, heel-side shots with lower ball-flight, and the occasional 90* fade....

• Haha 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

On 9/23/2011 at 6:55 AM, phizzy30 said:

Heavier shafts could very well throw off your tempo.

Ah, memories of my first few rounds of golf circa summer 1964. It was summer of 7th grade, and I was the first golfer in my family. The clubs were a true "grab bag" with clubs from 1935 to 1965. I was a caddie, and we got to play sometimes on early Friday AM.

Unknown to me, the driver was actually a home-made Medicus ancestor, with wood bored out and lead filled in to build up swing muscles. I weighted maybe 100 pounds at the time, and played several rounds with it.

My tempo is still messed up!

---------------------------

Here in 2021: I sometimes play in low-level amateur two-day tournaments. If you clubs are too heavy, you spray the ball all over the place on Back Nine, Day 2. Cumulative fatigue makes your follow-through inconsistent. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |