2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

Bummer. Not enough notice for me to make arrangements but I’m just across the river Ky.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Moraine was crazy good. Only weak hole was 10, 11, 12.

Good job with the renovation. NCR South was a great test of golf. Required more aerial game.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Jere,

Agree with 11 and 12. 10 is one of the better holes, great stuff around the green.

Agree on 10 that green complex is amazing and unique. I also really like 12 great long par 3. 11 is the one weak hole to me.

I know a club around Detroit that doesn't allow anyone from Michigan as a guest on the weekends. Out of state guest no problem. In state guests week days only.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I'm in Ohio...this is the first I've ever heard of these rules at the clubs. That's crazy.

Anyone had a chance to play Beechmont? The pro I worked for several years ago was friends with the head pro there. I've never been privileged enough to get access to many clubs. Had a buddy that was caddymaster at Barrington so I was able to get out there a couple of times. Growing up on courses that maxed out at 6400 yards and 8-9 stimp, it's kind of a culture shock.

Hahaha I guess 10 was too easy for me ? It was relatively easy off the tee. I had 170 left from the black tees. The score card we had had mix blue and white but we played mixed blue and black. Apparently there’s a 2nd score card for black only which we didn’t find out.

I wish they would build a blind approach aspect on 10 to cover up the hazard.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

They can certainly make moraine super hard by making the fairway run faster into the rough. The greens were playing to about 10 and roll true.

My friend like ncr more which I didn’t get. I can play an ncr type course anywhere. I believe the virtues was just as good as ncr.

Moraine just look different and is super playable. I’m adding moraine again next time I’m in Ohio. It’s so good.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I'm in Ohio...this is the first I've ever heard of these rules at the clubs. That's crazy.

Anyone had a chance to play Beechmont? The pro I worked for several years ago was friends with the head pro there. I've never been privileged enough to get access to many clubs. Had a buddy that was caddymaster at Barrington so I was able to get out there a couple of times. Growing up on courses that maxed out at 6400 yards and 8-9 stimp, it's kind of a culture shock.

Yeah Beechmont is a solid track. Good layout with some difficult greens but it doesn't provide anything special. Definitely worth playing but there are much better options close by.

Muirfield reminds me of a club my good friend belongs to in Tampa. Old memorial. In a sense that it’s more about the experience. Not saying the course was bad by any means. The social aspect of playing a round with your friends. Drinking. Having a boys day out. It’s not a club you go there for a quick round per se. I definitely get it.

It’s a world class experience with a membership that’s second to none. The course was very tough tee to green. I found myself hitting 3w a lot just to stay out of trouble. The greens were not as severe as I thought. The landing spot dictated your score. Of course! What I mean is I can get away with at other courses by missing 2-3 yards here and there. Not at Muirfield. Bring your big boys pants on and make sure you stay focus from 1-18.

Oh yeah the milkshakes are not that great. But to be fair I thought pimento cheese at augusta was over rated as well. =P

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I will find out how good Canton Brookside is tomorrow. I made some good contacts at moraine so next time I’m in town I’ll most likely spend a whole day there.

Moraine and Muirfield felt like two different type of clubs. I met a member at moraine who was also a member at Muirfield.

Muirfield is a very inviting type of club that’s superb on the service and hosting aspect. Moraine is a more no nonsense club with a great course. They are both equally great for what they are.

If I wanted to host a boys only getaway for the weekend and have a good time it’s Muirfield. If I wanted to golf every day, it’s moraine.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Haha I thought I needed a birdie on 18 to break 80 at Brookside but found out it was a par71. Had a 3 putt on 16 and ended the day with 33 putts and 8 GIR.

I can see why you enjoy Brookside so much. It’s an under rated track.

I enjoyed it very much. With that said I still put moraine and Muirfield ahead of it. The greens here felt a bit like Raynors greens. It’s an every day club. But so is moraine. Except moraine has the wow factor that I love. It’s like playing at Yale or like one of the gents we played with, eastward Ho without the water.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Is Luke still alive?

Major spoiler alert...He died at the end of the last Star Wars movie. Don't think he was much of a golfer either. :tongue: :lol:

That levitation thing was so cool though....ha

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Jere,

Have fun today and be sure to practice your putting. Both tracks have challenging greens

You’re probably Going to disagree with me on this but I like Canterbury more than Brookside. I thought the course got me more engaged and it was longer and provided a tougher fair test. I scored better at Brookside because the putting surface tells me what it’s doing. At Canterbury it wasn’t goofy and I had to shape my shot off the tee more. From my ranking.

Moraine. Muirfield. Canterbury. Brookside canton. Ncr.

But they are all good.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Jere,

Have fun today and be sure to practice your putting. Both tracks have challenging greens

You're probably Going to disagree with me on this but I like Canterbury more than Brookside. I thought the course got me more engaged and it was longer and provided a tougher fair test. I scored better at Brookside because the putting surface tells me what it's doing. At Canterbury it wasn't goofy and I had to shape my shot off the tee more. From my ranking.

But they are all good.

Jere,

You're probably Going to disagree with me on this but I like Canterbury more than Brookside. I thought the course got me more engaged and it was longer and provided a tougher fair test. I scored better at Brookside because the putting surface tells me what it's doing. At Canterbury it wasn't goofy and I had to shape my shot off the tee more. From my ranking.

But they are all good.

It's great to hear your perspective. I would have the rankings quite different. Brookside, Canterbury, Moraine, Muirfield, and NCR

A few of us debated Moraine in some detail a month or so back and I get why people love it. The "wow" factor you mentioned is definitely there and the course looks awesome. I personally think it lacks a bit of depth and complexity compared to Brookside and Canterbury. The greens at Canterbury are subtle and tough to read in my mind, especially compared to the big slopes you have Brookside. Like you said, you can't miss the break there.

I'm a bit surprised to hear you say Canterbury played longer. I've played Canterbury 20 times and never remember it playing long. I've only played Brookside twice and thought it was a long and tough course before I even got to those greens. Do you remember what the yardages were for you?

All of the courses are quite good. Growing up in Ohio and getting to see these and many others was a treat.

Canterbury was 6800 and Brookside was 6700.

The issue with Canterbury feeling longer cuz some of their fairways ended sooner. Hitting it straight off the tee didn’t mean you would be in a good position. I was very straight yesterday and it ran through the fairway and into the thicker stuff making it impossible to advance all the way to the green. I really like Canterbury. I ranked Muirfield ahead because of the over all experience. I’m used to playing at old memorial down here and that’s the same vibe I get when I’m there. I also got my butt kicked 20 shots more at Muirfield compared to Brookside and Canterbury. Muirfield really test your nerves. And I sort of like that. Even when I’m in the fairway my lie is never even and I didn’t account for that.

Moraine had a stadium like effect like Canterbury but with more engaging views. The greens were as subtle as Canterbury and it’s definitely super playable for all. Moraine had better par3s than Canterbury. You had a redan like 2, a short, a nerve wrecking 15 and a long 12. The long 12 works in the grand scheme of things. There were more variety and wow factor in moraine.

But I do see why some would like Brookside a lot. It’s a pure course but the greens do get a little Goofy. Its like playing streamsong black greens and I’ve always preferred streamsong red over black.

I was in the sand on 17 and splashed the ball to the top right quadrant where it rode the bowl like effect to 4 ft from the pole at the front of the green and par out for a sandy. Yes the imagination is there. But i like the subtle breaks more. The quirk does get a tad old. Playability wise Muirfield would probably be last on list. I wouldn’t want to play that course every day. But it deserves be ranked higher than Canterbury and Brookside.

Moraine has the wow factors, playability and a couple demanding shots along with variety. It really had everything I ask for. The rest had 1 and 2 but not 3. Or 2 and 3 but not 1. I really could play that course every day.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Canterbury was 6800 and Brookside was 6700.

The issue with Canterbury feeling longer cuz some of their fairways ended sooner. Hitting it straight off the tee didn't mean you would be in a good position. I was very straight yesterday and it ran through the fairway and into the thicker stuff making it impossible to advance all the way to the green. I really like Canterbury. I ranked Muirfield ahead because of the over all experience. I'm used to playing at old memorial down here and that's the same vibe I get when I'm there. I also got my butt kicked 20 shots more at Muirfield compared to Brookside and Canterbury. Muirfield really test your nerves. And I sort of like that. Even when I'm in the fairway my lie is never even and I didn't account for that.

Moraine had a stadium like effect like Canterbury but with more engaging views. The greens were as subtle as Canterbury and it's definitely super playable for all. Moraine had better par3s than Canterbury. You had a redan like 2, a short, a nerve wrecking 15 and a long 12. The long 12 works in the grand scheme of things. There were more variety and wow factor in moraine.

But I do see why some would like Brookside a lot. It's a pure course but the greens do get a little Goofy. Its like playing streamsong black greens and I've always preferred streamsong red over black.

I was in the sand on 17 and splashed the ball to the top right quadrant where it rode the bowl like effect to 4 ft from the pole at the front of the green and par out for a sandy. Yes the imagination is there. But i like the subtle breaks more. The quirk does get a tad old. Playability wise Muirfield would probably be last on list. I wouldn't want to play that course every day. But it deserves be ranked higher than Canterbury and Brookside.

Moraine has the wow factors, playability and a couple demanding shots along with variety. It really had everything I ask for. The rest had 1 and 2 but not 3. Or 2 and 3 but not 1. I really could play that course every day.

Great reviews and insights. Sounds like a pretty epic trip. The thing I will say about Muirfield and playability is that the first few times I played it, it was a real slog. Like trying to simply hang on the entire round. However, as I play it more (have played it 10-12 times now) it becomes more and more manageable each time. I remember the first few times I played it ending in that 85-87 range and feeling like I hit the ball fairly well to end up there. As I have played it more, I have learned more about the ins and outs of the course and how my games plays there. Last time I was out there I shot 81 and felt like I hit it pretty poorly (and had a bum wrist to boot). It is a course that takes some time to get used to but once you figure out how your game maps to the course, it becomes a lot more enjoyable.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

honestly as I take time to reflect on Muirfield, I truly believe it deserves to be up there with some of the best parkland golf courses in the world. The par5s and par4s were just out of this world with the strategy and necessary shot needed to execute.

What I didn't get from watching tv was how downhill the fairway would be when it's downhill. I usually play courses in the 6800 but scaled back to playing the teebox at 6400 due to the severity of the slope. I believe that was a mistake on my part because I was using the 3w a lot and it still ran through the fariway.

I promise I will play better the next time I'm there which may be sooner than I expected. Haha!

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

honestly as I take time to reflect on Muirfield, I truly believe it deserves to be up there with some of the best parkland golf courses in the world. The par5s and par4s were just out of this world with the strategy and necessary shot needed to execute.

What I didn't get from watching tv was how downhill the fairway would be when it's downhill. I usually play courses in the 6800 but scaled back to playing the teebox at 6400 due to the severity of the slope. I believe that was a mistake on my part because I was using the 3w a lot and it still ran through the fariway.

I promise I will play better the next time I'm there which may be sooner than I expected. Haha!

Ive always been a huge fan of MV. I know a lot of people feel its overrated and don't agree with me, but, I have long felt MV is a masterpiece. There really isn't a single gimmicky part of the course. My one complaint about the place is the new #16. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the course. It feels out of place. I think it's because that little section of land is the one purely flat piece of land and seems to just be a poor plot of land. It doesn't feel like you are playing MV when you're on it.

But I've always felt MV is a gimmick free, no BS, well designed parkland course. One which greatly rewards well executed shots and once which brutally penalizes poorly executed shots. It's a place which rarely puts you are the mercy of luck or a good/bad bounce. I think that's my favorite part about MV. If you hit it where you intend to hit it, you're going to play well. If you miss, even by a yard, it's going to cost you. From a pure golf perspective, I have MV very high on my list of great courses. It challenges nearly every shot in your bag. When I play it, I will use every tee shot I have in the bag at some point on the par 4's and 5's (4i, hybrid, 3w, Driver).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Muirfield is anything but over-rated. There's no gimmicks. I'd argue brookside canton is gimmicky. At muirfield you see it all right in front of you. It tells you this is the shot you need to hit. Execute it or be dunzo.

now that you mentioned it, no 16 felt like a par3 we have here in florida.

and I understood completely why Tiger would take a driving iron out on the par5, no.11

All the par5s there requires strategy. I just appreciate how folks can go low on that course considering how tough it is.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Muirfield is anything but over-rated. There's no gimmicks. I'd argue brookside canton is gimmicky. At muirfield you see it all right in front of you. It tells you this is the shot you need to hit. Execute it or be dunzo.

now that you mentioned it, no 16 felt like a par3 we have here in florida.

and I understood completely why Tiger would take a driving iron out on the par5, no.11

All the par5s there requires strategy. I just appreciate how folks can go low on that course considering how tough it is.

Jere,

You referring to Canton Brookside's greens as gimmicky is hilarious. Those are top 10 greens in the country and as good as Maxwell's, Willie Park Jr, or Travis. Where do you get the Raynor reference? Many Ross's greens were squared off, due to depressions and wars other Ross courses green's have turned into circles. Then you compare CB's greens to the Black course at Streamsong, another hilarious analogy. How many pins do pro's hit away from at ANGC, they use slope to feed the ball to the hole, is that gimmicky? Now when I played CB, greens were running at 10-10.5 perfect for those contours (when they run them at 12 is stupid). Had CB regrassed with Pure Distinction (greens) 007 in Fairways they could keep greens firmer in the summer months with no poa. The Moraine Koolaid drinking is funny. The greens are as boring as they get and have to run at 12 to have any interest to them. (Green speeds arms race). The greens chairman wants green and the course plays soft. The photographs well and has solid short par 4's and couple other solid holes. There is absolutely less thinking about where to miss from the fairway. It's a top 5 course in Ohio. If Canton Brookside did tree removal and regrassed the land is better then Moraine and the course is top 20 in the Country. Some of the most natural Ross green sites one can play. Also it plays 7100 from the tips, it's no push over. There is good quirk and bad quirk. CB has no bad quirk.

MVGC is about 10th in Ohio imo and would be lucky to make the top 200 in the country. The land there and NCR S are so good and the courses are so one dimensional. JN doesn't know how to make interesting strategy, oh lets dig a pond and copy the worst holes at ANGC, ick. The par 5's with a stream are all too similar in strategy. Holes 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 12, and 16 are awful. The course has put a ton of drainage in and its playing much firmer, but people value conditioning way too much in assessing a course. MVGC is all landing shots to the numbers on your approach shots. Someone like Andrew Green, Andy Staples, Perry Maxwell, or Bill Coore could of made an awesome track with the land at MVGC. JN using his name and enormous maint budgets to impress folks. people judge how good a course is on how fast the greens are, are left with pancake flat greens that are boring to putt on.

Moraine is in the same tier as Canterbury and Kirtland (7's). Canterbury weak holes are #3 and #8.