All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1324177445' post='3954717']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1324172119' post='3954377']
[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1324170304' post='3954247']
I have played Ellsworth a few times since they remodeled it. It is a nice layout and conditions are really good. I used to play my high school golf there when it was named "Big Springs".[b] I won the club championship when i was 15 years old!!!! [/b] The back nine is now the front nine and it has not changed a whole lot. The new back nine has 4 new holes I think and is great finishing nine.
[/quote]

Uhh, Joes on my team!

Actually No I haven't played there. it's truly AMAZING how this thread has opened my eyes to the number of courses that are within and hour or an hour and a half that I have not only never played, but never even heard of.

I am very very excited for next season already. I really hope to take my game to the next level. I have started a nutrition plan, I am working out more than I did last winter (which means working out at all) and i am commited to hitting the golf dome at least weekly for the next month/6 weeks then more as we get closer to the season.

Snow sucks
[/quote]

I plan on hitting the dome once I can start swinging the clubs again(left shoulder surgery this coming Monday). Maybe we can meet up and hit a few in a couple of months?
[/quote]
Are you talking about the dome in Cleveland? I've never been there but how is it if you have? It says on their website they have an instantaneous distance measurement and I was wondering how accurate that is.

Westerville has a golf dome.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Matte 9.5 deg Tensei Orange Pro 60S

3 Wood: Cobra F8 Nardo Rogue Silver 70S

Hybrid: Taylormade M1 2017 19 deg Kuro Kage Tini Silver 80

Irons: 3+4i Taylormade Speedblade, 5-PW Callaway Steelhead XR Pro Recoil 780 F4

Wedges: Callaway MD5 grey Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 120 Black S

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Double Wide

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324473206' post='3970239']
56° today in the Akron/Canton area! Too bad it's pouring down rain...:rolleyes:
[/quote]

For real! I noticed the temp too then the rain. Dayum! Anyway, it beats snow.

Hey i missed your question about the dome and if by Cleveland, you mean the one in Chagrin Falls/bainbridge then yes thats it There use to be one in valley view pretty close to downtown but I am almost certain that place closed. The one by me has a few bays that have these readouts that are supposed to indicate distance but I am highly skeptical of their accuracy. It's no trackman or flightscope that is for sure. Unless they changed them, i usually hit from the bays upstairs because i am 6'5" and feel closed in on the lower floor. I have hit in the bays that have those things and while i don't think they are grossly inaccurate, i also put no stock in what they read out because you cant see the total flight of the ball and I am almost sure it does not account for spin rate etc I could be wrong, I have never really played around with them much to be honest.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1324483023' post='3970845']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324473206' post='3970239']
56° today in the Akron/Canton area! Too bad it's pouring down rain...:rolleyes:
[/quote]

For real! I noticed the temp too then the rain. Dayum! Anyway, it beats snow.

Hey i missed your question about the dome and if by Cleveland, you mean the one in Chagrin Falls/bainbridge then yes thats it There use to be one in valley view pretty close to downtown but I am almost certain that place closed. The one by me has a few bays that have these readouts that are supposed to indicate distance but I am highly skeptical of their accuracy. It's no trackman or flightscope that is for sure. Unless they changed them, i usually hit from the bays upstairs because i am 6'5" and feel closed in on the lower floor. I have hit in the bays that have those things and while i don't think they are grossly inaccurate, i also put no stock in what they read out because you cant see the total flight of the ball and I am almost sure it does not account for spin rate etc I could be wrong, I have never really played around with them much to be honest.
[/quote]
Yea, I think that's the one. On their site it had a picture of the two hitting bays one on top of the other. Can you see the ball land and everything or does it hit the back of the dome? Also, is the roof really high or do balls ever hit the roof if you tower a 9 Iron?

from the upper deck you can definitely hit the roof with SW and LW if you hit it hard. i would say the total distance from where you hit to the back "wall" of the dome is maybe 80 yards? there are target flags and a wood built target "green" and you can take wedges at it with no issues hitting the roof. My son and I always end our time there with a wedge contest. Trying to spin beat to hell srixon range balls on concrete covered in green turf/carpet is awesome!!

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1324486579' post='3971121']
from the upper deck you can definitely hit the roof with SW and LW if you hit it hard. i would say the total distance from where you hit to the back "wall" of the dome is maybe 80 yards? there are target flags and a wood built target "green" and you can take wedges at it with no issues hitting the roof. My son and I always end our time there with a wedge contest. Trying to spin beat to hell srixon range balls on concrete covered in green turf/carpet is awesome!!
[/quote]Gotta love them wedge contests! I really regret doing this, but I remember two years ago in my second season golfing, a friend and I would go out to a local course, go to the 100 yard marker with like 30 balls each, and see who could get the most within like 10 feet(we used the flagstick as a measuring stick). It was really great practice, but looking back on it, it was stupid. Didn't seem like it at the time until we got caught. We did it a couple times a week and I can't even begin to tell you how much better my wedge game got. Sometimes we would go inside 100 and hit some finesse shots, and sometimes go a little longer.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324487252' post='3971169']
[/quote]Gotta love them wedge contests? I really regret doing this, but I remember two years ago in my second season golfing, a friend and I would go out to a local course, go to the 100 yard marker with like 30 balls each, and see who could get the most within like 10 feet(we used the flagstick as a measuring stick). It was really great practice, but looking back on it, it was stupid. Didn't seem like it at the time until we got caught. We did it a couple times a week and I can't even begin to tell you how much better my wedge game got. Sometimes we would go inside 100 and hit some finesse shots, and sometimes go a little longer.
[/quote]

replacing all divots and repairing all ball marks of course! :good:

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1324487808' post='3971207']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324487252' post='3971169']
[/quote]Gotta love them wedge contests? I really regret doing this, but I remember two years ago in my second season golfing, a friend and I would go out to a local course, go to the 100 yard marker with like 30 balls each, and see who could get the most within like 10 feet(we used the flagstick as a measuring stick). It was really great practice, but looking back on it, it was stupid. Didn't seem like it at the time until we got caught. We did it a couple times a week and I can't even begin to tell you how much better my wedge game got. Sometimes we would go inside 100 and hit some finesse shots, and sometimes go a little longer.
[/quote]

replacing all divots and repairing all ball marks of course! :good:
[/quote]
Not at the time...but after we got caught, I was sitting at home thinking about how stupid I was to do that and went up to the course and filled them all back in. :fool:

I hit a medium bucket outside on my lunch break today at Washington Park in Newburgh Heights. Rolled a few putts as well. I had such a good time that I went back after work and hit a large bucket and rolled putts until it was too dark to see. It hit 60 degrees today in Cleveland!

Washington Park has a really nice range and very well maintained par 3 course. It is very convenient for anyone working downtown or within a 10 mile radius of downtown.

As for the Golf Dome in Chagrin Falls, it is a good place to go in the dead of winter. I went twice last year and plan to go again in early January. It is like $8 or $9 for a 1/2 hour, which is kind of steep, but I bought a bunch of Groupons last year for 1/2 price and still have one left.

They have distance measuring devices on the bottom level, but they are not 100% accurate. I think they only measure swing speed, so if you swing really hard, you can hit 230 yard 5 irons. It is kind of fun to see how hard you can swing, but not very accurate.

I like the bottom level better because they have the distance devices and the ball will go further before it hits the roof, but the top deck is more fun when you have are having wedge contests.

[quote name='evoviiiyou' timestamp='1323486940' post='3919121']
High school and college in Michigan and recently moved to the Cleveland area a few years ago and trying to make it home. Courses I have found here that I play most are Shale Creek, Pine hills, Grey Hawk and Fowlers Mill. Private CC that a play is Canterbury, as my business partner is a member. Courses I miss in Michigan are Shepherds Hollow, Black Heath, Pine Hills and really miss the golf dome off I75 in Auburn Hills near Great Lakes crossing mall.

Thanks for the post a few back on the Cleveland area golf dome! Gonna hit that when I am on the east side for sure!
[/quote]
Man I worked at Canterbury for three years while in college at Akron U! What a fantastic layout...I could call any private in the area and play any time I wanted. I see mention of Stonewater....weird to play those places and then go back and tee it up on the older classics. I can't imagine Stonewater being private...but I have this thing for the classic course design guys.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1323527673' post='3920163']
[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1323517605' post='3919925']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1323392074' post='3913677']
Boulder Creek...

Has anyone played there? I really want to play there sometime next season. Maybe we could get a foursome together and play there sometime next spring or summer.
[/quote]

Boulder is a great layout. It reminds me of some myrtle beach courses but with more elevation change. It plays a little shorter than the listed yardage because most of the tee's are elevated. They usually have a deal for $35 for 18 and cart after 3pm.

Also you guys might want to check out Ellsworth Meadows in Hudson. It was remodeled a couple of years ago and is a great track now!
[/quote]
Ellsworth Meadows is on my list of places to play next season. I've looked on their website a couple times and it looks like a really nice track.
[/quote]

I played a tournament there this year and it was a beautiful course and has some really brutal holes. Some other courses around there worth playing are Gleneagles GC and Hudson CC. Hudson is private, but if you get an offer to play there don't turn it down.

Here's my list of courses I want to play next year that I've never played before...It's alot but hopefully I can get to them all...

- [url="http://turkeyfootgolf.com/"]Turkeyfoot Lake Golf Links[/url]
- [url="http://clearview-gc.com/"]Clearview Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://wilkshiregolf.com/"]Wilkshire Golf Course
[/url]- [url="http://www.quarrygolfclubggp.com/"]The Quarry Golf Club[/url] (#4 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://lyonsdengolf.com/page/5095-45091.htm"]Lyons Den Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/parks-and-recreation/brookledge-golf-club"]Brookledge Golf Club[/url]
- Spring Hills Golf Course
- [url="http://loyaloakgolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1"]Loyal Oak Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://cityofakrongolf.com/goodpark/"]J.E. Good Park Golf Course[/url]
- [url="http://sunnyhillgolfcourse.com/"]Sunny Hill Golf Course[/url]
- [url="http://maplecrestgolf.com/"]Maplecrest Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://www.shalecreekgolfclubggp.com/"]Shale Creek Golf Club[/url] (#13 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://fowlersmillgc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=889&page=49957"]Fowler's Mill Golf Course[/url] (#8 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://ellsworthmeadows.com/page/5050-43036.htm"]Ellsworth Meadows Golf Club
[/url]- [url="http://www.golfblueheron.com/index.php"]Blue Heron Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://golfwindmilllakes.com/"]Windmill Lakes Golf Club[/url] (#12 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://www.bouldercreekohio.com/"]Boulder Creek Golf Club[/url] (#6 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://kennsingtongolf.com/"]Kennsington Golf Club[/url] (#14 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://stonelickhills.com/"]Stonelick Hills Golf Course[/url] (#7 Public Golf Course in Ohio) *Playing here when I visit some relatives in Cincy next summer
- [url="http://shakerrungolfclub.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=760&page=41567"]Shaker Run Golf Club[/url] (#3 Public Golf Course in Ohio) *Playing here when I visit some relatives in Cincy next summer

If you are willing to travel to windmill lakes, you'd better add Fowlers Mill AND Sugarbush to your list. You will not regret either.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324565312' post='3975237']
[quote name='JD616' timestamp='1324528228' post='3974177']
Anyone out there a member at Avalon Lakes?
[/quote]
Is Avalon fully private? I was on their website and it looks like an AMAZING course.
[/quote]

No they are semi-private, but they actually own three courses and will most likely end up buying out some of the other ones in the future. Membership is very reasonable and the courses are a challenge. Avalon Lakes hosted the LPGA for several years before a redesign. The tips are over 7500 yards and the greens are lightning in the summer. I've played all of their courses several times, but now that I finally have a job I can join there (I'm only 16).

I looked into other Country Clubs in the Youngstown area and have played most of them. (Youngstown CC, Tippecanoe CC, The Lake Club, and Trumbull CC) All of which are amazing, but not the same as Avalon.

You said you wished to play at Kennsington, which is a nice course, but I'm not sure if it is truely as great as people claim. Some other ones in the area are Mill Creek, which is 36 holes, Reserve Run, short course but fun and always well kept, Firestone Farms, a so called links style course not really one though.

[quote name='JD616' timestamp='1324581648' post='3976495']
[/quote]
Is Avalon fully private? I was on their website and it looks like an AMAZING course.
[/quote]

No they are semi-private, but they actually own three courses and will most likely end up buying out some of the other ones in the future. Membership is very reasonable and the courses are a challenge. Avalon Lakes hosted the LPGA for several years before a redesign. The tips are over 7500 yards and the greens are lightning in the summer. I've played all of their courses several times, but now that I finally have a job I can join there (I'm only 16).

I looked into other Country Clubs in the Youngstown area and have played most of them. (Youngstown CC, Tippecanoe CC, The Lake Club, and Trumbull CC) All of which are amazing, but not the same as Avalon.

You said you wished to play at Kennsington, which is a nice course, but I'm not sure if it is truely as great as people claim. Some other ones in the area are Mill Creek, which is 36 holes, Reserve Run, short course but fun and always well kept, Firestone Farms, a so called links style course not really one though.
[/quote]
I've been to Mill Creek but I've only played one of the 18's. The past two golf seasons' we played Boardman(HS) and that's their home course. Pretty nice course though. It just sucked the times I was there because I played really bad, haha.

How does Avalon do guest play? Do you have to be a member guest or do they have a public rate?

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324587802' post='3976929']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I've been to Mill Creek but I've only played one of the 18's. The past two golf seasons' we played Boardman(HS) and that's their home course. Pretty nice course though. It just sucked the times I was there because I played really bad, haha.

How does Avalon do guest play? Do you have to be a member guest or do they have a public rate?
[/quote]

I'm assuming you played the South 18 then, because that's their side. It's the harder 18, but the North is still fun, very similar. They are actually planning construction soon on a new practice facility.

Guest play is open to everyone. If you are accompanied by a member then the rates are lower, but if not they are a little more. I think Avalon Lakes runs around $125 if not accompanied and the other two run around $75 if unaccompanied.

[quote name='JD616' timestamp='1324609455' post='3978411']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324587802' post='3976929']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm assuming you played the South 18 then, because that's their side. It's the harder 18, but the North is still fun, very similar. They are actually planning construction soon on a new practice facility.

Guest play is open to everyone. If you are accompanied by a member then the rates are lower, but if not they are a little more. I think Avalon Lakes runs around $125 if not accompanied and the other two run around $75 if unaccompanied.
[/quote]
That'll be cool. I'll have to get back out there when they are done with it. Are they putting in a driving range or something else like a putting green or something?

That's not too bad. I've heard really good things about Avalon from alot of people.

Avalon is the straight up bomb! Classic design, small greens, and just amazing hole after hole. The practice area is perfect in every way...what a great experience. I played a twilight and it was less than $75 and you can golf way after nine in the summer. Seriously, I have played almost every private in and around cleveland, and would put avalon in the group any day. Oh, it's not freakin' easy by any means!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1324610345' post='3978495']
Avalon is the straight up bomb! Classic design, small greens, and just amazing hole after hole. The practice area is perfect in every way...what a great experience. I played a twilight and it was less than $75 and you can golf way after nine in the summer. Seriously, I have played almost every private in and around cleveland, and would put avalon in the group any day. Oh, it's not freakin' easy by any means!
[/quote]

I think you may be mistaken. The greens are huge and the design is anything but classic. It had a complete overhaul, so maybe that is why you are saying that? If you haven't played it recently I suggest you do, it is absolutely amazing and will kick your a** left and right.

You have a pretty good list there. I have played 7 of them (in order of my favorites): Fowlers, Good Park, Turkeyfoot, Ellsworth, Shale Creek, Blue Heron and Loyal Oak. I would skip Loyal Oak (Loyal Joke) and skip Blue Heron because the conditions are suffering as a result of them running low on money (so I've been told). Fowlers is a clear #1 IMO and Good Park, Turkeyfoot and Ellsworth are all very good. Shale Creek is okay, but overrated IMO. I heard conditions at Shaker Run are not very good anymore.

My NE Ohio Playlist for 2012 is Quarry, Boulder, Avalon Lakes, Eagle Creek, Sanctuary, Firestone Farms and Kennsington. That would allow me to complete the top 20 at GolfClevelandOhio.com - 13 down, 7 to go. By the way, GCO is a great website and usually very accurate with their ratings.

[url="http://golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm"]http://golfcleveland.../G2003-main.htm[/url]

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324569183' post='3975521']
Here's my list of courses I want to play next year that I've never played before...It's alot but hopefully I can get to them all...

- [url="http://turkeyfootgolf.com/"]Turkeyfoot Lake Golf Links[/url]
- [url="http://clearview-gc.com/"]Clearview Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://wilkshiregolf.com/"]Wilkshire Golf Course
[/url]- [url="http://www.quarrygolfclubggp.com/"]The Quarry Golf Club[/url] (#4 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://lyonsdengolf.com/page/5095-45091.htm"]Lyons Den Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/parks-and-recreation/brookledge-golf-club"]Brookledge Golf Club[/url]
- Spring Hills Golf Course
- [url="http://loyaloakgolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1"]Loyal Oak Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://cityofakrongolf.com/goodpark/"]J.E. Good Park Golf Course[/url]
- [url="http://sunnyhillgolfcourse.com/"]Sunny Hill Golf Course[/url]
- [url="http://maplecrestgolf.com/"]Maplecrest Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://www.shalecreekgolfclubggp.com/"]Shale Creek Golf Club[/url] (#13 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://fowlersmillgc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=889&page=49957"]Fowler's Mill Golf Course[/url] (#8 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://ellsworthmeadows.com/page/5050-43036.htm"]Ellsworth Meadows Golf Club
[/url]- [url="http://www.golfblueheron.com/index.php"]Blue Heron Golf Club[/url]
- [url="http://golfwindmilllakes.com/"]Windmill Lakes Golf Club[/url] (#12 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://www.bouldercreekohio.com/"]Boulder Creek Golf Club[/url] (#6 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://kennsingtongolf.com/"]Kennsington Golf Club[/url] (#14 Public Golf Course in Ohio)
- [url="http://stonelickhills.com/"]Stonelick Hills Golf Course[/url] (#7 Public Golf Course in Ohio) *Playing here when I visit some relatives in Cincy next summer
- [url="http://shakerrungolfclub.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=760&page=41567"]Shaker Run Golf Club[/url] (#3 Public Golf Course in Ohio) *Playing here when I visit some relatives in Cincy next summer
[/quote]

[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1324669013' post='3980447']
You have a pretty good list there. I have played 7 of them (in order of my favorites): Fowlers, Good Park, Turkeyfoot, Ellsworth, Shale Creek, Blue Heron and Loyal Oak. I would skip Loyal Oak (Loyal Joke) and skip Blue Heron because the conditions are suffering as a result of them running low on money (so I've been told). Fowlers is a clear #1 IMO and Good Park, Turkeyfoot and Ellsworth are all very good. Shale Creek is okay, but overrated IMO. I heard conditions at Shaker Run are not very good anymore.

My NE Ohio Playlist for 2012 is Quarry, Boulder, Avalon Lakes, Eagle Creek, Sanctuary, Firestone Farms and Kennsington. That would allow me to complete the top 20 at GolfClevelandOhio.com - 13 down, 7 to go. By the way, GCO is a great website and usually very accurate with their ratings.

[url="http://golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm"]http://golfcleveland.../G2003-main.htm[/url]
[/quote]
The only reason Loyal Oak is on the list is because it's within 30 minutes of my house and I'm trying to play every public course(and privates' that I can find a way to get on to) within that distance from me.

I was out at The Sanctuary yesterday hitting some balls around. I just took my 7 Iron and 9 Iron out and played a few holes up to the green. Nice course. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to play it sometime next season and I'd gladly join ya.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1324678084' post='3980875']
[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1324669013' post='3980447']

[/quote]
The only reason Loyal Oak is on the list is because it's within 30 minutes of my house and I'm trying to play every public course(and privates' that I can find a way to get on to) within that distance from me.

I was out at The Sanctuary yesterday hitting some balls around. I just took my 7 Iron and 9 Iron out and played a few holes up to the green. Nice course. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to play it sometime next season and I'd gladly join ya.
[/quote]
That sounds good. I will let you know if I ever make it down there. That is over an hour from my house on the west side of Cleveland, but I hope to play it in 2012. You have some solid courses down in your neck of the woods. What other courses have you played near North Canton that you like?

Have you ever played Rawiga? They just went public a few years and it is a very nice course. Also, Hawks Nest is a pretty good course. Both those course are in the Seville/Creston area, so about 35 miles from North Canton.