2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332040295' post='4527843']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1332038479' post='4527697']
[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332031078' post='4526903']
Yea #9 at Lakeview is a great risk/reward hole that is easy to drive if you can get it there. There was one occasion where me and two of my buddies went ahead and teed off while the group in front of us was finishing up the whole. None of us had driven the ball particularly well, so we thought we were safe. We proceeded to all plant the green while they were putting. In hindsight, obviously poor etiquette, but none of us had expected to hit the green.

I'm curious what you thought of hole #3, that nice long narrow trip into the trees. Also curious to hear which hole was your favorite.

Glad to hear you got to play, now I'm worried to hit up the course with you, haha. You'll probably smoke me. All in good fun though.
[/quote]
#3 is the hole that goes up the hill with trees on both sides isn't it? If that's #3 I thought it was a cool little hole. I wasn't really a big fan though because I don't really care too much for blind tee shots. I like being able to see the landing zone unless I've played it enough to know it pretty well.

I'd say my favorite hole was #6(I think). It might've been #7, I can't remember which hole it is but it's the hole by the road that's goes a little left and has the swamp left and behind the green and water up to the right of the green. The only reason I liked it was probably because I birdied it, lol. I liked #9 too.

Have you ever played Edgewood? It's another 9 hole course with a great driving range. It's not far from Lakeview. Just right down Route 43 from Lakeview and you're there. I'm playing there tomorrow morning for the first time in three years. Haven't played there since my first season playing so I'm pretty excited to see what I shoot there since it's the course I first took up the game on.
[/quote]

I agree, it does bother me that you can't see the pin. Just a hit, hope, and pray type hole, haha

I believe that is #5 that goes along the road. I like the challenge of that hole because of how small that green is with the swamp and pond right there. #6 is the dog leg back through the trees, #7 is the par three with the huge back to front slope.

Honestly didn't know about Edgewood, I'll have to try that out sometime soon.

You familiar with Lyons Den any? Might sign up to do a league there. If I already asked you that, then pardon my brain fart lol
[/quote]
Never been to Lyons Den. I've heard of it but I've never been out there to play it. I'm hoping to play there sometime this season.

But yea, definitely check out Edgewood. It's one of the nicest 9-hole courses I've seen. I played there this morning and got 18 in. The first time through I shot a 41. I blew up on the last three holes otherwise I would've been in the 30's. I was +2 after 6. Then I went bogey, double, bogey to finish the 9 with a 41(+6). Then the second time through I shot my best 9 hole score ever, a 36(+1). I needed a birdie on the 9th to set a new personal 9 hole best and sure enough, I did! It also ended up being my best 18 hole score ever and my first round in the 70's. Ended up with a 41 and 36 for a 77(+7) with two birdies. I'm gonna play there a few more times this year to see if I can shoot even par for 9 holes.

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1332086660' post='4529565']
Never been to Lyons Den. I've heard of it but I've never been out there to play it. I'm hoping to play there sometime this season.

But yea, definitely check out Edgewood. It's one of the nicest 9-hole courses I've seen. I played there this morning and got 18 in. The first time through I shot a 41. I blew up on the last three holes otherwise I would've been in the 30's. I was +2 after 6. Then I went bogey, double, bogey to finish the 9 with a 41(+6). Then the second time through I shot my best 9 hole score ever, a 36(+1). I needed a birdie on the 9th to set a new personal 9 hole best and sure enough, I did! It also ended up being my best 18 hole score ever and my first round in the 70's. Ended up with a 41 and 36 for a 77(+7) with two birdies. I'm gonna play there a few more times this year to see if I can shoot even par for 9 holes.
[/quote]

Awesome job man! I'll definitely have to check it out. My last game I shot a 55 on 9 holes, but I still consider myself to be getting back into the rhythm of things. I think another couple rounds and I should at least be decent haha.

[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332109087' post='4531315']
[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1332086660' post='4529565']

[/quote]

Awesome job man! I'll definitely have to check it out. My last game I shot a 55 on 9 holes, but I still consider myself to be getting back into the rhythm of things. I think another couple rounds and I should at least be decent haha.
[/quote]
Thanks man...I forgot to mention it's only $4 to walk 9 at Edgewood. I would guess that it's $6 with a walking cart so the price is the same as Lakeview.

A friend of mine and myself are trying to get a group of single digit HDCP players together to play on Sunday(maybe some Saturdays) in the Akron/Canton area. we would like to get enough interested guys that 2 groups would play every Sunday. There would be some light betting but nothing too crazy. If we have enough guys(or girls) interested it shouldn't be a problem to get 2 groups together each week. let me know if your interested.

Thanks
Joe

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1332345021' post='4549968']
A friend of mine and myself are trying to get a group of single digit HDCP players together to play on Sunday(maybe some Saturdays) in the Akron/Canton area. we would like to get enough interested guys that 2 groups would play every Sunday. There would be some light betting but nothing too crazy. If we have enough guys(or girls) interested it shouldn't be a problem to get 2 groups together each week. let me know if your interested.

Thanks
Joe
[/quote]

Would love to join you guys, but A) just joined a Wednesday night league and B) I am definitely not a single digit handicap, haha. Sounds like fun though, enjoy!

Side notw, I played Lyons Den for the first time last night. Great 18 hole course. It was $10 with cart (albeit technically unlimited golf since it was evening. Decided to join a league there becuase it was only $300 for an unlimited golf pass there, and you could use it for the league. The guys I met there were great, so I'm looking forward to a good time.

Second side note...second lesson is today, plus club fitting is scheduled at well! I might be walking home with new clubs today!

[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332412939' post='4555382']

Thanks
Joe
[/quote]

Would love to join you guys, but A) just joined a Wednesday night league and B) I am definitely not a single digit handicap, haha. Sounds like fun though, enjoy!

Side notw, I played Lyons Den for the first time last night. Great 18 hole course. It was $10 with cart (albeit technically unlimited golf since it was evening. Decided to join a league there becuase it was only $300 for an unlimited golf pass there, and you could use it for the league. The guys I met there were great, so I'm looking forward to a good time.

Second side note...second lesson is today, plus club fitting is scheduled at well! I might be walking home with new clubs today!
[/quote]
I need to play there soon...$10 for unlimited with a cart is great. If it was 10 or so minutes closer I would be all over that membership.

What clubs are you getting?

[attachment=1083220:photo.JPG] [quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1332414162' post='4555404']
[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332412939' post='4555382']

Thanks
Joe
[/quote]

Side note, I played Lyons Den for the first time last night. Great 18 hole course. It was $10 with cart (albeit technically unlimited golf since it was evening. Decided to join a league there becuase it was only $300 for an unlimited golf pass there, and you could use it for the league. The guys I met there were great, so I'm looking forward to a good time.

[/quote]
I need to play there soon...$10 for unlimited with a cart is great. If it was 10 or so minutes closer I would be all over that membership.

What clubs are you getting?
[/quote]

Might be a good place to meet up at once I get more used to it. Second hole is a 360 yard Par 5. Weirdest hole I've ever played. Dips down into a valley from the tee, down into a pond. Essentially, it forces you to either swap the driver for a 3, or head to your irons to lay up as safe as you want to be to jump the pond. Then it's up the other side of the valley to the hole. Hole one is similar, with more of an elevation chance, less water, and less distance.

Not sure what the true price of the course is, they just told us $10 last night. I'll try to find out true cost next time I'm over there.

Just got done putting the bag together...new bag I should say. I ended up going with the Rocketballz (Probably some people will groan) but they felt great and were the price I wanted to pay. Went ahead and went full-on Rocketballz, with driver, high loft three wood, irons, bag, balls and etc. I guess I've a RBZ jersey short of looking like a Taylormade staffer right now, haha. Picked up a Ping Kraz-E Putter (they suggested I go with a Taylormade Spider Ghost, but I felt the extra $100 wasn't as helpful.

Funny story, they were originally going to give me a discount on the putter, but the manager reminded them of how harsh Ping is to stores that discount products. They did give me a discount on the bag though. I was eyeing the Ogio Silencer that my buddy got, but went with the RBZ cart bag since it was so much cheaper.

Whenever I get my Golf Galaxy Advantage Club check in the mail, going back in to buy a pair of golf shoes (I've only ever played with tennis shoes, haha), and maybe a polo. I want to add a Vokey wedge and possibly a RBZ hybrid to the bag as well, but those may be further down the line.

[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1332458893' post='4559256']
[attachment=1083220:photo.JPG] [quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1332414162' post='4555404']

Nice dude! glad to see you get the bag setup and are excited. As a Titleist guy, there was a minor groan when I saw the all RBZ clubs. That being said, I think they are very solid clubs and are great for certain types of players. Personally, I didn't feel the RBZ's fit my game but obviously if the same clubs worked for everyone there would only be 1 set of clubs.

I will post a picture of my bag soon. Finally got it all settled. Everything in my bag is new minus my Vokeys which I got in August. Once my Mackenzie ballistic walker gets in I will throw some pics up

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Well consider this too...the clubs I am now passing on to my brother were 8-10 year old Dunlop boxed set clubs and an Armour putter that somebody gave to me at one point. Any direction I had gone would have been a huge leap for me, haha.

Went out to the range tonight and hit a bucket of balls. At Firestone's Public 9 & Range, there's a restaurant called Hackers, and they had their outdoor patio on the range set up. This little boy and his father are sitting there watching me hit balls, and when I go back to change clubs, the father calls me over. He wanted to tell me that his son really loved my bag and was intrigued by the Rocketballz. SO I pulled the driver out and showed it to him (In hindsight, probably should have pulled the 3 wood out, but oh well). Kid loved it. Father asked me how they hit and stuff. Was a nice experience to talk about the clubs with them a bit. I just hope the fatehr doesn't buy his growing son a set of Rocketballz though because of me, haha

I posted this as a general courses topic, but I figured I would share here too. The First Tee is selling tee times to private courses across the country as a fundraiser for the program. There are three private courses offering tee times.

Firestone Country Club - $125 with cart per golfer, 1 to 4 golfers. Dates are Monday April 23rd through Friday April 27th Morning through afternoon tee times available. North and West courses available.

TPC River's Bend - $99.50 with cart, bucket of range balls, and tax included per golfer, 1 to 4 golfers. Dates are Tuesday April 17th through Friday April 27th No weekends. Morning through afternoon tee times available.

Silver Lake Country Club - $68 with cart per golfer, 1 to 4 golfers. Dates are Tuesday April 24th through Friday April 27th Morning through afternoon tee times available.

Quail Hollow COuntry Club - $45 with cart per golfer, 1 to 4 golfers. Dates are Monday April 23rd through Friday April 27th Morning through afternoon tee times available.

http://www.thefirstteecampaign.org/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=1137&page=70171

I think there is one Michigan course and two Pennsylvania courses that are also participating. Great opportunity if you have the ability to play during the week.

I took my new clubs out on Saturday...may not have been the best decision since Lyons Den was so wet from all the rain. Let's say the towel came home covered in mud. Between cleaning off balls, clubs, my bag, and me, it was a mess. I think at one point it even got dragged under the walking cart for a few feet, haha. Clubs were solid, my game is not quite as solid though. Best score all year.

Was out at the range tonight at Firestone. Ended up playing with the hosel on my driver. I actually think I have it dialed in to fix my slice (most of the time at least...I will say it is "more consistent" than ever before...but my driver and 3 wood are my least consistent clubs...so...yea). Irons are pretty solid.

First official league practice is Wednesday night...looking like it's going to be wet and warm (if the forecast is correct, all the storms should be isolated and in the morning hours). I'm hoping I heal up before then though...I think I tweaked an ab or an oblique tonight. Right side is yelling at me about as loud as my sinus headache, haha. Guess that's what I get for going from couch to hitting balls 2-4 times a week in less than a month's time.

Funny side note, a couple kids actually heckled me because of my Rocketballz. As I walked past them all they would keep saying is Rocketballz.

Would love to play with you guys on Wednesday morning, but work presents weekday morning golf (unfortunately).

Played Bent Tree today. I'd never been there, but wow what an awesome course. I looked at ohiogolfguide and it didn't get great reviews last year. Seems people were upset with the bunkers and slow play. Well, the bunkers are fixed. Tons of fluffy sand (not what I like, but seems to be what people always want). Can't comment on slow play as my dad and I played in under 4 hours. I loved the layout. Conditions were tremendous. Got it on golfnow for $30 and it was well worth it.

Just finished 18 at my home course, Fairways at Arrowhead. Shot an 83(+13). Could have been alot better if I wouldn't have tripled #9 and doubled #10. Played those two holes like absolute crap. Aside from those two bad holes, I played pretty well. I hit 7/14 fairways and 5/18 greens. My short game was on today so that helped my score since I wasn't hitting many greens.

Played Bent Tree today. I'd never been there, but wow what an awesome course. I looked at ohiogolfguide and it didn't get great reviews last year. Seems people were upset with the bunkers and slow play. Well, the bunkers are fixed. Tons of fluffy sand (not what I like, but seems to be what people always want). Can't comment on slow play as my dad and I played in under 4 hours. I loved the layout. Conditions were tremendous. Got it on golfnow for $30 and it was well worth it.

That's where I have my range membership at. friends.gif

TM 9.5° SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec - 6 years old
Mizuno MP-H4's S300 - 6 years old
Ping i20 15° Black Project X 6.0 - 7 years old
Scott Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='DaSportsGuy' timestamp='1333312064' post='4625243']
Just finished 18 at my home course, Fairways at Arrowhead. Shot an 83(+13). Could have been alot better if I wouldn't have tripled #9 and doubled #10. Played those two holes like absolute crap. Aside from those two bad holes, I played pretty well. I hit 7/14 fairways and 5/18 greens. My short game was on today so that helped my score since I wasn't hitting many greens.
[/quote]

Nice - Yeah the weather turned out awesome today here in cbus. Started the round it was maybe 43 and by 18 it was up in the 70's with no clouds in the sky. I got 2 rounds in this weekend and hit the ball like an idiot all weekend. On Saturday I shot 83 but if it wasn't for my pitching/chipping/putting I would have been way over 85. I've never had so many up and downs from 50 or yards out in my life. I was really pitching well.

Today was worse. Shot 85 but had no confidence with anything over a 5 iron. It got to the point where I was just trying to do whatever I could to get the ball within 150 yards because I knew I could hit a wedge. I had no putts fall today but honestly I felt like I putted well. Made everything under 6 feet. It was just those 10 footers that werent dropping. I felt like I was taking good strokes as my pace was spot on and the ball was on the line I wanted. I hit the edge of maybe 6 or 7 holes and the ball just didnt drop.

Being a 5.0 index, firing a 83 and 85 doesn't encourage me. Especially when my last round I fired a 78, on a tougher course, and hit the ball great. Very discouraging weekend. I think this week I am going to get to the range and just bang a bucket of balls hitting only my 4 iron, 3i, 3w and driver.

Gotta keep telling myself its only the first week of april.

[quote name='Tyler08' timestamp='1333329059' post='4626915']
Never noticed how close some of you guys are. Im like 30 min from foxes den and arrowhead.
[/quote]
What's your home course or where do you play most of your golf at?

Anyone wanna get together Monday morning and play somewhere? I'm thinking either Brookledge(Cuyahoga Falls), J.E. Good Park(Akron), or Roses Run(Stow). I'd be game for either Friday or Monday but I'm sure most of you guys would prefer Monday since the 2nd Round of The Masters is Friday. Lemme know! I need a chance to redeem myself after a poor showing at Fox Den. :D

Just agreed to play in a charity scramble at the Links at Echo Springs...anybody play there before that would like to provide some insight? I've never played in a scramble before, so this should be fun.

Anybody get out and golf this Easter weekend? The weather has been cold in NEO but not bad. Played at Lakeview last night and shot a 51, my best so far there. 50% of my drivers were good and straight, but after working with my instructor this week, I now have a hook on all my irons. My wedges have improved greatly though after he readjusted my stance.

It's also never a good day when you get on in two and four put a par four, haha. That happened a couple times too, drat.

[quote name='LXAKA1287' timestamp='1333901037' post='4677080']
Just agreed to play in a charity scramble at the Links at Echo Springs...anybody play there before that would like to provide some insight? I've never played in a scramble before, so this should be fun.

Anybody get out and golf this Easter weekend? The weather has been cold in NEO but not bad. Played at Lakeview last night and shot a 51, my best so far there. 50% of my drivers were good and straight, but after working with my instructor this week, I now have a hook on all my irons. My wedges have improved greatly though after he readjusted my stance.

It's also never a good day when you get on in two and four put a par four, haha. That happened a couple times too, drat.
[/quote]

It was great in Columbus this weekend... I got a round in on Friday evening and Saturday morning. A little frost delay Saturday but nothing major

#18 taken from the porch on the clubhouse......

6213691137_da44024c18_z.jpg

That is a great shot! I think I'm gonna get out to Kennsington next season. I've been wanting to play there for a while.

that course is truely remarkable played the year after they opened so they green were pretty rough but it is my favorite layout ever and i can't wait to play it again now that i have my drivers license it may be the most underated course in ohio

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest you drive north of dayton. Go to Shelby Oaks its in Sidney. There a very big ping dealer. And proshop does great work

Ping Anser 9.5 Rip Red Eye X flex
07 Burner TP 14.5 stiff
Ping Rapture Driving Iron COMING SOON
Ping S56 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff Black Dot
Scratch 8620 53*, 58* D/S grind
Odyssey Metal X #7Mid,cut down with S/S

[quote name='Tyler08' timestamp='1335402174' post='4790608']
I would suggest you drive north of dayton. Go to Shelby Oaks its in Sidney. There a very big ping dealer. And proshop does great work
[/quote]
I'm definitely gonna have to give them a call. If I have to drive an hour out of my way to get someone I can trust then I'm willing to.

I'm going to have a few days off work in a few weeks and I'm planning doing some golfing, golfing, and more golfing!! I'm in the Cincinnati area and my goal is to play 4 or 5 rounds (2 rounds on 1 or 2 days). I know I want to play Stonelick Hills. Here are some others I'm considering:

Hueston Woods (I like this course a lot, but it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere)
Weatherwax (possibly play all 36)
Legendary Run
Heatherwoode
Yankee Trace

So out of those (or if there are any you would suggest to double up with on a day) what would be your ideal line-up?