TP RED LDP....Debunked!!!

Neo1

my assessment
well after reading all the hype about this ball, i decided to give them a try, so i bought a dozen off the bay...low spin??? well yeah compared to the penta and prov1 the reds do spin less off the tee but nothing too impressive...compared the reds to the srixon xv and prov1x and i was getting noticeably more side/back spin with the tp reds. the launch of these balls were noticeably lower then the xv and prov1x, but the rise and fall of the reds was more dramatic as well...downwind shots looked like the ball was knocked out of the sky... played with it for 4 rounds now and im not a believer...anyone out there agree? or disagree? gimme your take...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bama59' timestamp='1320361655' post='3756345']
Disagree

TP Red Ldp = The best.
[/quote]

+1 on this. The search for a better ball continues...

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1320365589' post='3756629']
Which version of the TP Red LDP's did you get? The original ones or the new ones rereleased in Walmart, etc?
[/quote]

the ones i got were the 4 piece tp red ldp's...the side stamp looked like this <TP/RED.LDP> . these are the conforming ones with the / still in between TP and RED with only a small dot after the > arrow...they do say "tournament edition" on the sleeves

I played the TP Red for a while last year after I found a bunch of them stashed away in the corner at my club's pro shop. While it definitely is a low-spin premium ball and does work well, I don't understand the brouhaha over this ball either. Personally, I think 90+% of the people that love the TP Red only say so because others on here rave about it; everything they have heard/read makes them "see" superior results with the TP Red that aren't completely there. The vast majority of those people are no where near good enough or consistent enough to tell a slight difference in performance between balls.

Before the TP Red went a deep discount, there are very little fanfare over the ball. Once everyone tried it and "the word spread", everyone was in love with it

It's like the people that come on here and claim changing from one company's low-spin premium ball to another's low-spin premium ball resultsed a 15-20 yard gain. None of this is based in reality and is all in their head. Or if there are distance difference it was from other variables (wind, temperature, fairway hardness, you took a big dump that morning so you were more flexible, etc.) and was not from simply switching to a ball with slightly different playing characteristics.

I played it and still have a few dozen left...I tend to stock up on a ball that I like when they start closing them out at low prices (Precept U-Tri Tour was another one). I always thought the TP Red LDP had good trajectory (didn't balloon off woods), nice greenside spin and a soft feel on the putter. It's the ONLY discontinued golf ball that my more skilled golfing buddies have offered to buy off me. The only one. Price didn't even come up...it was simply an offer to buy if I decided to sell them and they aren't the golf equipment junkies like me.

Whether it's legacy or lore, this ball has a strong following. IMHO, I don't believe you get that type of following without some type of substance.

TP red ldp is my favorite ball of all time, barely trailed by the '04/05 prov1x. The most predictable ball around the greens, & once accustomed to their spin & feel greenside, I scored the best with them. Also they were extremely durable.

The most important factor far me was the ball's trajectory. I am a high ball hitter & this ball helped me bring the flight down & was/is the best into the wind for me. While other balls got eaten up, this one just keeps going into the wind. For reference my SS is 114 & this ball of my supertri spins to 2400 whereas the provx spins to 2650.

Take it for what you will, but this was my favorite ball of all time. RIP TP red ldp.. you will be missed

[quote name='Vision54fan' timestamp='1320362161' post='3756381']
maybe i'm just odd but i love the tp black.
[/quote]

Me too! Black was the first one that I tried on a cool winter day and I have a hard time hitting my driver to this day even close to we're my first driver with it ended up even in the summer time. B
Must be more age for the reason then the ball!

Someone hard a Ball Chart and the Black had the highest firmness rating of all the balls tested at 117 compression. That chart is floating around here some where and I think the REDvwas about 107 with PV1's about 95 range, but please do not quote me on this. I do remember the Black at 117 though.

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1320368279' post='3756805']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1320365589' post='3756629']
Which version of the TP Red LDP's did you get? The original ones or the new ones rereleased in Walmart, etc?
[/quote]

the ones i got were the 4 piece tp red ldp's...the side stamp looked like this <TP/RED.LDP> . these are the conforming ones with the / still in between TP and RED with only a small dot after the > arrow...they do say "tournament edition" on the sleeves
[/quote]

I still have 8 doz.Best ball I have played!

[quote name='mattw1106' timestamp='1320365645' post='3756639']
TP Red LDP is in my opinion the best ball of all time.
[/quote]
I have to agree in relation to the todays solid core offerings. It was a great ball.

Prior to todays solid core- it was the Maxfli Revolution Multilayer 100. and going even further... the Maxfli HT-100 and Titleist Tour 100 can be added to that "list".

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1320415109' post='3758499']
I played it and still have a few dozen left...I tend to stock up on a ball that I like when they start closing them out at low prices ([b]Precept U-Tri Tour was another[/b] one). I always thought the TP Red LDP had good trajectory (didn't balloon off woods), nice greenside spin and a soft feel on the putter. It's the ONLY discontinued golf ball that my more skilled golfing buddies have offered to buy off me. The only one. Price didn't even come up...it was simply an offer to buy if I decided to sell them and they aren't the golf equipment junkies like me.

Whether it's legacy or lore, this ball has a strong following. IMHO, I don't believe you get that type of following without some type of substance.
[/quote]
Agreed. I forgot about that one

[quote name='mccjud' timestamp='1320418307' post='3758741']
TP red ldp is my favorite ball of all time, barely trailed by the '04/05 prov1x. The most predictable ball around the greens, & once accustomed to their spin & feel greenside, I scored the best with them. Also they were extremely durable.

[b]The most important factor far me was the ball's trajectory. I am a high ball hitter & this ball helped me bring the flight down & was/is the best into the wind for me[/b]. While other balls got eaten up, this one just keeps going into the wind. For reference my SS is 114 & this ball of my supertri spins to 2400 whereas the provx spins to 2650.

Take it for what you will, but this was my favorite ball of all time. RIP TP red ldp.. you will be missed
[/quote]

Bolded above is key to this ball I think. For those who arent high ball hitters, the TP Red would likely be considered just another premium ball. Also it does bore though the wind like no other ball i;ve tried. and doesnt bend nearly as much in. the wind as other premium balls. I have only 1 ball left and dont have the heart to hit it. I'm now playing the newest version of the Tour iZ which launches higher but does well in the wind and is a little crisper feeling. It does well into the wind considering its higher launch properties and doesnt bend nearly as much as the Bridgestone premium balls for me

To the person that said lots of people just bandwagon this ball w.o really knowing? well this is the internet and there is lots of that going on...a classic example would be the 9015d thread. On the net, there is good info and less than good info, people who know that they are talking about, and people just making noise.

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

Hands down the best ball in the wind. Also much less side spin with the driver as well. A little harder to work with the driver, but it's possible. I too have several dozen still left, and I even find myself playing other balls on days when the conditions are bad, or a course with alot of leaves off the fairways so as not to lose them. Perfect ball IMO.

My 2021 WTB:
Driver - Taylormade Sim Max 9* Tensei White 
Fairway Wood - Tour Edge EXS Pro 13.5* Tensei Blue 

Hybrid - Tour Edge EXS Pro 17* Tensei Blue

Irons - Titleist (2020) T100 w/ TT tour issued X100 120's 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8, w/ TT tour issued X100 120's
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft 2 Black Series

Balls - Mostly Taylormade Lethal, or TP5, and sometimes Titleist AVS 

High spin player and that BALL was a gift from the golfing gods...and a punishment when they took it away..here is hoping the new penta will live up to it's predecessor, twice removed---TP RED LDP!!
As some have mentioned about the spin...not only was it just right for a higher ball hitter, to produce that mid ball flight that just bores thru the wind, but mostly, you didn't have to think about what the ball might do...! You just hit the shot you wanted to hit and if YOU executed it, it performed! SImple as that...never had to worry about sucking it off a green( as I do with most all other premium balls--except the Srixon XV) or hitting it past the pin so it would be close after it sucked back(unless that is the shot I tried to hit). Greenside and putting were amazing(and still is for some you answered).

The Penta is a great substitute for me, no worries...but if they make it closer to the TP RED LDP this time around in February...I will be stoked to play it!!

:man_in_love:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='msd3075' timestamp='1320413553' post='3758401']
I played the TP Red for a while last year after I found a bunch of them stashed away in the corner at my club's pro shop. While it definitely is a low-spin premium ball and does work well, I don't understand the brouhaha over this ball either. Personally, I think 90+% of the people that love the TP Red only say so because others on here rave about it; everything they have heard/read makes them "see" superior results with the TP Red that aren't completely there. The vast majority of those people are no where near good enough or consistent enough to tell a slight difference in performance between balls.

Before the TP Red went a deep discount, there are very little fanfare over the ball. Once everyone tried it and "the word spread", everyone was in love with it

It's like the people that come on here and claim changing from one company's low-spin premium ball to another's low-spin premium ball resultsed a 15-20 yard gain. None of this is based in reality and is all in their head. Or if there are distance difference it was from other variables (wind, temperature, fairway hardness, you took a big dump that morning so you were more flexible, etc.) and was not from simply switching to a ball with slightly different playing characteristics.
[/quote]

What a clueless post. You think that most people love it because others rave about it? You think the vast majority are not good enough to tell the difference? OK, they are your thoughts, have fun with them.

If you don't mind I'll offer up my thoughts. Well, I am good enough to tell the difference, and without a doubt, it is a great ball for those with medium to medium-high club head speeds. For those of us in this category we have found that no other ball provides the all around package of performance that we seek - low spin off the tee, high spin around the greens, perfect in the wind, won't spin too much and balloon like a PROVI or Z-Star on mid to long iron shots, great feel off the putter.

When I caught wind these were being discontinued I stocked up. I have 28 dozen left and in the absence of finding a better ball (and I hope someone does come out with one) these have to last me the rest of my life. I string them out by playing a PRO VI or Penta or Z-Star from time to time, but when I play a round that counts for something the Red is the only ball I'll use.

They are great balls.

I wish you well in your journey to become good enough to tell the difference. Once you do, you will probably regret having made this post.

[quote name='Sabaka' timestamp='1320518238' post='3763275']

[/quote]

What a clueless post. You think that most people love it because others rave about it? You think the vast majority are not good enough to tell the difference? OK, they are your thoughts, have fun with them.

If you don't mind I'll offer up my thoughts. Well, I am good enough to tell the difference, and without a doubt, it is a great ball for those with medium to medium-high club head speeds. For those of us in this category we have found that no other ball provides the all around package of performance that we seek - low spin off the tee, high spin around the greens, perfect in the wind, won't spin too much and balloon like a PROVI or Z-Star on mid to long iron shots, great feel off the putter.

When I caught wind these were being discontinued I stocked up. I have 28 dozen left and in the absence of finding a better ball (and I hope someone does come out with one) these have to last me the rest of my life. I string them out by playing a PRO VI or Penta or Z-Star from time to time, but when I play a round that counts for something the Red is the only ball I'll use.

They are great balls.

I wish you well in your journey to become good enough to tell the difference. Once you do, you will probably regret having made this post.
[/quote]

+1 they are the Perfect ball for high spin players in wivdy conditions and I dont think the B330's even compare . the Penta is much closer IMO than ANY offering from Bridgestone (which I think are junk). Someone else mentioned the Precep tU Tri Tour which was also a very underrated ball.I agree as well.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

They are great balls.

[/quote]

I figured that'd eventually hit a nerve with someone on here.

If you think it's that great of a ball, go ahead and play it. You should play whatever works best for your game. All I'm saying is that based on my personal experience the TP Red is a good ball but is by no means head-and-shoulders beyond other offerings. Yes, there are differences, but those differences aren't going to change my game anywhere near enough to improve my scores.

As for the 90+% part, it's just like so many other things people rave about on this site. Whether it be a specific driver shaft, a custom-made putter, or a discontinued golf ball, it seems like so many people here just follow whatever "everyone" seems to think is the best. They perceive a difference in performance, but most of it is just because they've read it so many times that one performs a certain way that they "see" that difference even though it isn't there. It's much like how everyone and their dog on here thinks they need a low launch/spin driver shaft, but I guarantee you (again) 90+% of them have absolutely no clue what they really need (many times it's that they have no clue what their ball flight off the driver should look like or that they need a swing change more than an equipment change).

And trust me, I'm plenty good enough to tell the difference between golf balls, and if anything the TP Red's characteristics should benefit my swing/game/technique. It didn't.

[/quote]

They are great balls.

[/quote]

why do you play z-stars and prov1's along side the tp reds? if your comparing low spin premium balls with others, then you should be playing prov1x and z-star xv....i believe the reason most people like the tp reds is because of the feel, i think its one of the few balls ever made that feels like a "spinny" ball but acts like a low-spin premium ball, like taylormade reversed the feel with the tp black to feel firmer but spin more...that's basically all the hype...regardless of performance it never compared to the prov1x or srixon xv FOR ME.

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1320527621' post='3763661']

[/quote]

They are great balls.

[/quote]

why do you play z-stars and prov1's along side the tp reds? if your comparing low spin premium balls with others, then you should be playing prov1x and z-star xv....i believe the reason most people like the tp reds is because of the feel, i think its one of the few balls ever made that feels like a "spinny" ball but acts like a low-spin premium ball, like taylormade reversed the feel with the tp black to feel firmer but spin more...that's basically all the hype...regardless of performance it never compared to the prov1x or srixon xv FOR ME.

[/quote]

My swing speed is not great enough to properly compress the PRO VIx, thus my comment that the Red is a better fit for folks like me who have mid to mid-high club head speeds. I have not tried the Srixon XV - what is the recommended club head speed for this ball?