TP RED LDP....Debunked!!!

Neo1

I'm a high spin, mid/high swing speed player and I have loved this ball way longer than I have been on this forum. I didn't stock up, so since I hit my last one I've yet to find a ball that has the low trajectory and perfect spin that the TP red ldp had. It's my favorite ball I've played, only ball that compares in OVER ALL performance like it is the pro v1 but lacks the lower trajectory. This is just my opinion and I could care less what anyone else plays or says. Period.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree.

I play in windy New Mexico. I have been a Bridgestone guy since the "Hoary Sh..." commercials. Mostly the B330S and the RX. The TP Red is better than both of those models by far. My measurement stick is the 4 wood on a couple of really long Par 5's and Par 4's that are the toughest handicap holes at my course. Can't reach them with any Bridgestone ball with or against the wind. The Red is a different story. I'm not a long hitter but the Red is right there with my longer hitting companions. I'm also a cheap s.o.b. so I don't mind playing anything I find, Tour IX, Titleist Pro V and x's, Penta's, Srixon, et.al. My daughter bought me a bunch of AAA Reds and I have not pulled out a new ball since.

Too bad they don't make them any more. By comparison to its replacement, The Penta, which I like, is a Marshmellow. Softer feeling and easier to work, I guess because it spins more, but definitely shorter. The flight of the Red, though lower, is not as low as some would have you think, kind of mid trajectory. Boring as heck it's a delight with nearly every club in the bag. I like the Black, it is higher in trajectory, but not as long for me as the Red, but it is a winner too. I can't believe I'm writing this, I was such a Bridgestone guy!

The Chile Guy

[quote name='Chile Guy' timestamp='1320717982' post='3773071']
Disagree.

I play in windy New Mexico. I have been a Bridgestone guy since the "Hoary Sh..." commercials. Mostly the B330S and the RX. The TP Red is better than both of those models by far. My measurement stick is the 4 wood on a couple of really long Par 5's and Par 4's that are the toughest handicap holes at my course. Can't reach them with any Bridgestone ball with or against the wind. The Red is a different story. I'm not a long hitter but the Red is right there with my longer hitting companions. I'm also a cheap s.o.b. so I don't mind playing anything I find, Tour IX, Titleist Pro V and x's, Penta's, Srixon, et.al. My daughter bought me a bunch of AAA Reds and I have not pulled out a new ball since.

Too bad they don't make them any more. By comparison to its replacement, The Penta, which I like, is a Marshmellow. Softer feeling and easier to work, I guess because it spins more, but definitely shorter. The flight of the Red, though lower, is not as low as some would have you think, kind of mid trajectory. Boring as heck it's a delight with nearly every club in the bag. I like the Black, it is higher in trajectory, but not as long for me as the Red, but it is a winner too. I can't believe I'm writing this, I was such a Bridgestone guy!
[/quote]
i don't know if you've tried the new 2011 B330s, but thats a really great ball, it really has a nice flat trajectory off the tee, and i think it spins more then the reds around the greens, only issue is durability...it's amazing to me how durable the tp reds are, you would think taylormade would improve the cover of the penta but in fact they've took a step backwards

[/quote]

My swing speed is not great enough to properly compress the PRO VIx, thus my comment that the Red is a better fit for folks like me who have mid to mid-high club head speeds. I have not tried the Srixon XV - what is the recommended club head speed for this ball?
[/quote]

not sure, i'd say probably in the +105 range?

Heres something to think about...not to stir the pot (im a loyal TP RED guy myself)

i notice everyone jumped on the TP RED bandwagon when the price came down 2doz for $50 (I know i did)

I dont remember anyone saying it was the best ball when it was $45 a dozen....

now if lets say in a perfect world... Tmag brings them back and charges a premium of $45 .... will you buy the TP red ldps?

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='vietnameeh' timestamp='1320724273' post='3773577']
Heres something to think about...not to stir the pot (im a loyal TP RED guy myself)

i notice everyone jumped on the TP RED bandwagon when the price came down 2doz for $50 (I know i did)

I dont remember anyone saying it was the best ball when it was $45 a dozen....

now if lets say in a perfect world... Tmag brings them back and charges a premium of $45 .... will you buy the TP red ldps?
[/quote]

agreed, just like when the penta was 45.99 a dozen, i saw no love for this ball...but when they reduced the price to 39.99 and buy 2 get 1, all of a sudden this forum blew up with threads on pentas...same with the cally iZ and iS

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1320719449' post='3773183']
[quote name='Chile Guy' timestamp='1320717982' post='3773071']
Disagree.

[/quote]
i don't know if you've tried the new 2011 B330s, but thats a really great ball, it really has a nice flat trajectory off the tee, and i think it spins more then the reds around the greens, only issue is durability...it's amazing to me how durable the tp reds are, you would think taylormade would improve the cover of the penta but in fact they've took a step backwards
[/quote]
I agree. The '11 B330S has been my ball of choice for the most part this year and it is a great ball. Aslo agree with the durability comments. The Penta cannot compare to the TP Red LDP original.

Like I said, I can't believe I'm going against Bridgestone, but with a college age daughter who can only afford AAAA grade used balls, I'm set for a while on the Red. But I am not a ball iconoclast and I'll probably stumble on a B330S and be happy with it. However, at 75 cents a ball that is longer than any BStone I've played (but not the new B330s) I've got to say I'm pretty pleased. If they did resurrect the Red, Black or both, I think they would get $45.00 a dozen. Golf balls do not fit any price/value equation I've ever seen. If it works it works and once you drive one 300 or back it up like spooked shrimp your expectations and desire is set no matter what the price. I remember a pro told me in San Diego once that the Pinnacle "Tour Spin" or "Pure Spin" I don't remember (No longer in production by about 10 years) was a 2-piece Pro V1. So I bought some at 12.95 a dozen. Guess what, they were longer and had more spin than a Pro V1 for me! Went to buy some more, sorry, outta luck. I guess a .92 cent ball didn't work for Acushnet but the Pro V at $3.30 did. I suspect the same economics will keep the Red in "the gone, but not forgotten" category so you don't have to wait for a comeback anytime soon. :drinks:

The Chile Guy

This thread made me nostalgic so I dug through my collection and found a Red LDP. I put it into play under heavy winds (up to 35 mph) and honestly, the magic wasn't really there.

I had a very consistent draw working all day and the ball held into the wind nicely. On my one swing that didn't draw (I thought I hit it pretty straight), the wind grabbed it and threw it into a lake. This happened on about the 7th hole. Afterward, I switched to a Callaway Diablo Tour which behaved about the same and which I really loved off the putter! I remember one of the reasons I bailed on the Red was because it was way too mushy off the putter.

Overall, the Red performed well and I would happily play it if I ran into some. However, I wouldn't go out of my way to get them.

Been saving my TP Reds but decided to hit it this past weekend after reading this thread. Live in North Texas and it was quite windy all weekend, 25-35 mph. Absolutely the best wind ball I've ever played. Feels good off every club and spin was just what I like off the driver, long irons, shorts irons, and around the green. Like I said in a previous post, the TP Red is my all-time favorite ball.

Johnny T.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Krusty2' timestamp='1321316639' post='3801061']
.........I switched to a Callaway Diablo Tour which behaved about the same and which I really loved off the putter! [/quote]

How does the trajectory of the Diablo Tour compare?

Anyone else with comments on other balls with lower trajectory
(non-rocks)?

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

Miz85uno,

You make some very strong points about people on here posting the TP Red LDP to the Srixon Z-Star or Pro V1. And claiming it's the "beat ball ever." I don't know about all thatl. But I have to say that the TP Red LDP ball is hands down better than the replacement - the Penta TP. It's longer off the driver, lower spinning, and better around the greens. More duable too. And equal into the wind to the Penta. I'm a high ball hitter and this ball brings my ball flight down.

I think a lot of the frustration people on here have is with TaylorMade discontinuing production of the TP Red LDP. To add insult to injury, they kept the TP Black LDP around and sell it in the $20 price range. I am good friends with a guy in Finance who works for TaylorMade at their golf ball manufacturing plant in South Carolina and he straight up told me, "Taylormade can't keep the TP RED LDP around because people would buy it at the lower price over the Penta."

Recently I have switched to the 2011 Pro V1x and it's a better ball than then TP Red LDP. It's as long, does have a slightly better ball flight, and just as durable. Greenside spin is phenomenal. I'm sad that the TP Red LDP is gone... it would be great if TaylorMade kept it around and sold it in the $29 price range. But they don't so I have moved on and now play the Pro V1x.

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1320527621' post='3763661']
[quote name='Sabaka' timestamp='1320518238' post='3763275']
[quote name='msd3075' timestamp='1320413553' post='3758401']
I played the TP Red for a while last year after I found a bunch of them stashed away in the corner at my club's pro shop. While it definitely is a low-spin premium ball and does work well, I don't understand the brouhaha over this ball either. Personally, I think 90+% of the people that love the TP Red only say so because others on here rave about it; everything they have heard/read makes them "see" superior results with the TP Red that aren't completely there. The vast majority of those people are no where near good enough or consistent enough to tell a slight difference in performance between balls.

Before the TP Red went a deep discount, there are very little fanfare over the ball. Once everyone tried it and "the word spread", everyone was in love with it

It's like the people that come on here and claim changing from one company's low-spin premium ball to another's low-spin premium ball resultsed a 15-20 yard gain. None of this is based in reality and is all in their head. Or if there are distance difference it was from other variables (wind, temperature, fairway hardness, you took a big dump that morning so you were more flexible, etc.) and was not from simply switching to a ball with slightly different playing characteristics.
[/quote]

What a clueless post. You think that most people love it because others rave about it? You think the vast majority are not good enough to tell the difference? OK, they are your thoughts, have fun with them.

If you don't mind I'll offer up my thoughts. Well, I am good enough to tell the difference, and without a doubt, it is a great ball for those with medium to medium-high club head speeds. For those of us in this category we have found that no other ball provides the all around package of performance that we seek - low spin off the tee, high spin around the greens, perfect in the wind, won't spin too much and balloon like a PROVI or Z-Star on mid to long iron shots, great feel off the putter.

When I caught wind these were being discontinued I stocked up. I have 28 dozen left and in the absence of finding a better ball (and I hope someone does come out with one) these have to last me the rest of my life. I string them out by playing a PRO VI or Penta or Z-Star from time to time, but when I play a round that counts for something the Red is the only ball I'll use.

They are great balls.

I wish you well in your journey to become good enough to tell the difference. Once you do, you will probably regret having made this post.
[/quote]

why do you play z-stars and prov1's along side the tp reds? if your comparing low spin premium balls with others, then you should be playing prov1x and z-star xv....i believe the reason most people like the tp reds is because of the feel, i think its one of the few balls ever made that feels like a "spinny" ball but acts like a low-spin premium ball, like taylormade reversed the feel with the tp black to feel firmer but spin more...that's basically all the hype...regardless of performance it never compared to the prov1x or srixon xv FOR ME.

[/quote]

I've got 2 and a half dozen of these, brand new in the sleeves, that I'm not willing to play because they've been the best ball for my game. I don't want to go out there and lose them and unable to replace them. The closest I've found to the TP Red LDP has been the Penta and the 2010 Z-Star. Both awesome balls. I've recently started playing the 2011 330S and that's an awesome ball too.

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke

[quote name='hometeamdawg' timestamp='1322661374' post='3870635']
[quote name='Krusty2' timestamp='1321316639' post='3801061']
.........I switched to a Callaway Diablo Tour which behaved about the same and which I really loved off the putter! [/quote]

How does the trajectory of the Diablo Tour compare?

Anyone else with comments on other balls with lower trajectory
(non-rocks)?
[/quote]

Diablo Tour flies higher than the Red but it certainly doesn't balloon and it holds its own into the wind. It's longer for me off the driver and it has just a bit less spin than a urethane-covered ball around the green. It's the best surlyn-covered ball I've ever played.

[quote name='Conman48' timestamp='1322796203' post='3878891']
How can you tell the difference between the 3 piece and the 4 piece balls?
[/quote]

Check the ball itself:

TP Red = 3-piece
TP Red LDP = 4-piece

If the ball does not have LDP stamped on the pole then it is a 3-piece.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1320357678' post='3756143']
well after reading all the hype about this ball, i decided to give them a try, so i bought a dozen off the bay...low spin??? well yeah compared to the penta and prov1 the reds do spin less off the tee but nothing too impressive...compared the reds to the srixon xv and prov1x and i was getting noticeably more side/back spin with the tp reds. the launch of these balls were noticeably lower then the xv and prov1x, but the rise and fall of the reds was more dramatic as well...downwind shots looked like the ball was knocked out of the sky... played with it for 4 rounds now and im not a believer...anyone out there agree? or disagree? gimme your take...
[/quote]

In a 2008 issue of Golf Magazine, TP Red LDP went the farthest under their testing parameters, I believe.

[quote name='Stuy Pegleg' timestamp='1323194962' post='3900005']
well after reading all the hype about this ball, i decided to give them a try, so i bought a dozen off the bay...low spin??? well yeah compared to the penta and prov1 the reds do spin less off the tee but nothing too impressive...compared the reds to the srixon xv and prov1x and i was getting noticeably more side/back spin with the tp reds. the launch of these balls were noticeably lower then the xv and prov1x, but the rise and fall of the reds was more dramatic as well...downwind shots looked like the ball was knocked out of the sky... played with it for 4 rounds now and im not a believer...anyone out there agree? or disagree? gimme your take...
[/quote]

In a 2008 issue of Golf Magazine, TP Red LDP went the farthest under their testing parameters, I believe.
[/quote]

what were the conditions? ss? loft? shaft flex? launch angle? human or robotic testing? etc...

"Their testing parameters" being a swing speed of 90 MPH. I think they were trying to prove a point that tour level golf balls aren't the best option for players with slower swing speeds. However, most of the golfers on this site are fairly serious golfers and probably aren't as concerned with 90 MPH swing speed data.

Considering I only hit my driver 14 times in a round 5 yards here or there is not going to really change my score. I've switched to the new Pro V1x because it's the best ball for my game around the greens. And it's just added bonus that I pound the Pro V1x farther than I do a TP Red LDP ball. I swing about 110 MPH and the Pro V1x FLIES for me. The Callaway tour iz and Bridgestone B330 are close behind it in distance off the driver, but they don't compare around the green.

I think people on here need to stop talking about the TP Red LDP. It's history. Let's move on to the golf ball options that lie ahead of us (pun intended). For the loyal fans of the TP Red LDP (myself being one) I urge you to try out the new 2011 Pro V1x golf ball. It's really phenomenal. They lowered the spin off the driver and it still has magical spin and control into the greens. Feels wonderful coming off the face of your putter.

I agree 100% with what Miz85uno has said...

[quote name='miz85uno' timestamp='1323196478' post='3900141']
[quote name='Stuy Pegleg' timestamp='1323194962' post='3900005']
[/quote]

[/quote]

what were the conditions? ss? loft? shaft flex? launch angle? human or robotic testing? etc...
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

I am a big RED LDP fan who has found no other ball that performs as well, especially here in Miami where the least wind you'll have is a 10 mph day lol, and coupled with my high ball flight the Red is the best ball FOR ME... The ProV1x is the only other ball that suits my game well enough.

In regards to people falling in love with balls only after they go on sale, I believe has a simple explanation. If people are going to spend $40+ on balls they are going with there time tested ball usually the ProV, most people won't spend 40 dollars on an experimental 12 pack. So when the ball goes on sale people are willing to give it a try and which point they may relaize they like it more AND its cheaper, or they may not be as good as their original ball, but for 1/2 or 2/3 $$ it may be an acceptable trade-off.

Anyways, until LGB runs out of Red LDP's (and can be had used even cheaper than most others) or something actually beats them out- I'll keep them in my golf bag.

Callaway Epic LS 9* MMT 70s
Taylormade SIM2 Ti 5W Evenflow Riptide X

Taylormade SIM2 4H Ventus S
New Level 902 5-P TTx100 SS
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* TTs400
Evenroll EV-2
Bridgestone B-X
Vessel

TP Red - Alright but nothing special.

Penta TP - Best....Ball...Ever...Made

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6