2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Does anyone have issues with eyesight and tracking their golf ball?

H4CK

Saturday I got to try a round with one contact with just distance correction. I actually saw a couple of balls land down the fairway (on the rare occasion where I hit a fairway). That was really, really nice for a change, but what was really amazing was on the greens. I play this course two or three times a week so I should know the greens pretty well but I was actually seeing slopes and breaks on the greens that I haven't been able to see before. Didn't make me putt any better, but it was nice to see where the ball should go.

Hopefully I'll see my eye doc this afternoon and tell him to get me a box of those ordered, just to use for golf.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mtsmith' timestamp='1320374310' post='3757331']
As an eye doc I would recommend having your eyes checked by a reputable optometrist or ophthalmologist. I don't know how old you are, but you could be developing cataracts, which even if not causing enough blurred vision for surgery to be necessary can still cause a myopic shift (makes you more nearsighted or less farsighted) which will in turn blur your vision. A prescription change can help this. Macular degeneration will also make you have a tough time seeing a ball. If you are young, still, the same recommendation....go see an eye doc.
[/quote]

Good question H4CK. I like the response here by eye doc. I was having the same trouble, but for me it was stubbornness. I do wear tri-focals, the middle lens being for computer. However, all three areas of my lenses have been pretty mild. But when playing golf, I do not wear my glasses. This year though, I have noticed that when I look down at the ball, it has become slightly fuzzy, and in trying to track my shots like you say, I was beginning to lose track of it, asking for help of my playing partners. Also, I can barely read my scorecard, and have to put my glasses on and off to read my Golf Buddy, ugh. So I had an appointment with my eye doc. 2 weeks ago. He's a golfer, and I told him my story. I asked "Can you make me some golf glasses besides my new regular updated glasses?" So he took my existing glasses, got rid of the middle prescription which was for computer (not needed on the course), bumped the bifocal part down so I could see to putt and swing at the ball, and added transition sunglasses to the lenses. Now I have 'golf glasses'... too cool! I got them yesterday, can't wait to try them out. Hopefully I can now see all this stuff, and like you say, track my ball much better too.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1384624489' post='8158328']
Every group I play with watches every ball and looks for every ball if it's off line. Can't imagine doing anything else. Yellow is good, orange is bad, I may have to try pink.
[/quote]I will have to agree that everyone in the groups I play in are usually very understanding,
however they quite often don't share the information until I have walked way past my ball
location. Another thing that happens they might say it went left (really not helpful) or they might say it rolled
into the trap (which trap?). Now everyone means well and they do have their own game to think about.
And you hate to keep asking all the time. I think another problem is there is less communication since
we are no longer walking and talking together. Now quite pften we are all riding carts

Between floaters and a lazy eye, I had a problem with tracking the ball and depth perception, judging distance. I always told the people I played with that I need help tracking the ball and they were always very helpful. Just over a year ago I had the surgery to get rid of the floaters. After that I had no problem tracking the ball for a while. I was able to watch and admire a good drive which I had not done in years. A cataract developed (known side effect of the surgery) and when I could not track the ball even when hitting my pitching wedge, I had the cataract taken out. Since then I will have problems tracking a few shots each round, but it is still soooo much better than it was before the surgery to get rid of the floaters.

As the second poster said go to a eye doctor. And I would recommend an [color="#282828"]ophthalmologist over an [/color][color=#282828]optometrist. If there is a problem, the [/color][color=#282828]ophthalmologist has more training in handling issues with the eye.[/color]

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[size=4][color=#000000][quote name='KE60Ping' timestamp='1384592710' post='8157290'][/color]
[color=#000000]Good question H4CK. I like the response here by eye doc. I was having the same trouble, but for me it was stubbornness. I do wear tri-focals, the middle lens being for computer. However, all three areas of my lenses have been pretty mild. But when playing golf, I do not wear my glasses. This year though, I have noticed that when I look down at the ball, it has b[/color][color=#000000]ecome slightly fuzzy, and in trying to track my shots like you say, I was beginning to lose track of it, asking for help of my playing partners. Also, I can barely read my scorecard, and have to put my glasses on and off to read my Golf Buddy, ugh. So I had an appointment with my eye doc. 2 weeks ago. He's a golfer, and I told him my story. I asked "Can you make me some golf glasses besides my new regular updated glasses?" So he took my existing glasses, got rid of the middle prescription which was for computer (not needed on the course), bumped the bifocal part down so I could see to putt and swing at the ball, and added transition sunglasses to the lenses. Now I have 'golf glasses'... too cool! I got them yesterday, can't wait to try them out. Hopefully I can now see all this stuff, and like you say, track my ball much better too.[/color]
[color=#000000][/quote][/color]

[color=#000000]My eye doctor gives me a prescription for just distance to use while playing golf. I cannot play using progressive lenses as any movement of the head changes how I see the ball. The worst round I ever played was right after I got my first progressive lenses. Since then it is single vision or sunglasses with no prescription.[/color][/size]

Callaway Chrome Soft

How are you guys with issues judging distances to the pin especially on shorter shots like less than 100 yards? That's where it gets funky for me, the depth perception to the hole for chipping and pitching when I want fairly precise distance figures (though sure I lose the ball after 190 or less sometimes). Right eye is the problem child... use the left for distance, right for up close I'm told.

I'm considering getting a rangefinder next year as the GPS only helps me to the distance if I can figure out where the darned flag actually is on the green beyond any flag colour-coding.

Only generally wear distance glasses driving at night (and legally not required to do that even from my most recent prescription). Not wearing glasses when I play as I don't need them (can't use them) addressing the ball, and as I say can see the ball out for a fair distance. The few feet between my eyes and addressing the ball is well in-focus without glasses, blurry with.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1384739158' post='8164414']
How are you guys with issues judging distances to the pin especially on shorter shots like less than 100 yards? That's where it gets funky for me, the depth perception to the hole for chipping and pitching when I want fairly precise distance figures (though sure I lose the ball after 190 or less sometimes). Right eye is the problem child... use the left for distance, right for up close I'm told.

I'm considering getting a rangefinder next year as the GPS only helps me to the distance if I can figure out where the darned flag actually is on the green beyond any flag colour-coding.

Only generally wear distance glasses driving at night (and legally not required to do that even from my most recent prescription). Not wearing glasses when I play as I don't need them (can't use them) addressing the ball, and as I say can see the ball out for a fair distance. The few feet between my eyes and addressing the ball is well in-focus without glasses, blurry with.
[/quote]

Because of my lazy right eye, I have no depth perception. I have dealt with this my whole life. For shots less than 85 yards, I just play by feel. The shots less than 85 yards are the less than full swing shots for me. I just look at how my ball lies and what is between me and the pin and just hit the shot that feels right to me. My pro has worked with me handling those shots so I have a good feel of the shot I need.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1384784069' post='8166170']

[/quote]

Because of my lazy right eye, I have no depth perception. I have dealt with this my whole life. For shots less than 85 yards, I just play by feel. The shots less than 85 yards are the less than full swing shots for me. I just look at how my ball lies and what is between me and the pin and just hit the shot that feels right to me. My pro has worked with me handling those shots so I have a good feel of the shot I need.
[/quote]

Wouldn't using a laser, especially when you're close to the pin, be a big help?

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1384784507' post='8166210']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1384784069' post='8166170']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wouldn't using a laser, especially when you're close to the pin, be a big help?
[/quote]

I have a GPS and quit using a laser because it caused me to make poor course management decisions. I am a feel player and my pro worked with me so I can make the proper judgement by look and feel.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1384795394' post='8167064']
^^ Before I shell out bucks for a rangefinder, can you clarify how having one messed up your course management decisions? I would have thought the opposite. Thanks.
[/quote]

With the laser my thought process was the yardage to the pin. Depending on the placement of the pin, when I aimed for the pin, my misses would many times put me in difficult positions (short siding, traps, deep rough, steep dropoff). When I went back to using my Skycaddie for my approach shots, I would look at the whole green, thinking about where I wanted to hit so my misses might still be on the green or leave me easy chips. Or the distance to hit to leave myself short of the hole so I would have an uphill putt instead of fast downhill putt. For most of courses I play, my Skycaddie has Intelligreen Pro and the course I belong to has the zones setup in Pinpoint so I get front, back, and center of the zone (instead of green). It got me less focused on the pin and more focused on where I wanted to hit my shot to.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1384797522' post='8167236']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1384795394' post='8167064']
^^ Before I shell out bucks for a rangefinder, can you clarify how having one messed up your course management decisions? I would have thought the opposite. Thanks.
[/quote]

With the laser my thought process was the yardage to the pin. Depending on the placement of the pin, when I aimed for the pin, my misses would many times put me in difficult positions (short siding, traps, deep rough, steep dropoff). When I went back to using my Skycaddie for my approach shots, I would look at the whole green, thinking about where I wanted to hit so my misses might still be on the green or leave me easy chips. Or the distance to hit to leave myself short of the hole so I would have an uphill putt instead of fast downhill putt. For most of courses I play, my Skycaddie has Intelligreen Pro and the course I belong to has the zones setup in Pinpoint so I get front, back, and center of the zone (instead of green). It got me less focused on the pin and more focused on where I wanted to hit my shot to.
[/quote]

Thank you. I looked up the Intelligreen Pro feature and for sure that is smart technology. And for the courses one plays regularly knowing distance to those ugly slopes would also help figure where the pin is on the green too as well as where to try to get to/want to avoid. You also have more precise location mapping on your home course. So it makes sense.

I just bought another GPS, but it sounds like a Skycaddie might be the way for me to go to consider for next replacement rather than a rangefinder. Less bulky too. Good info. Thanks again.

Now I'm going to go to the range to see if I can actually hit it close to where I intend!

[quote name='H4CK' timestamp='1320373006' post='3757253']
So I have a terribly difficult time tracking the golf ball. It practically disappears once it reaches near its apex. Some times I can't even track it that far at all. I've once hit a 150 yard shot from the fairway onto the green and spent time looking for it around the green until a partner pointed out to me that it was on the green.

So, what's the etiquette issue regarding watching your playing partners shots? Is it rude that I can't track their balls (or mine) because I feel pretty bad about it.

Anybody got any tricks to track the flight and where it lands? I would like to be able to find mine as well as my partners shots more easily.

Is there a physical reason why I have such a tough time or do some people just have really great eyesight?
[/quote]

I have a similar issue. What I do is look at the trees in the distance and wait for the ball to reappear. I can see the ball against a backdrop of trees better than I can against the sky. The trick is that you have to be looking in the general direction that the ball was traveling and have some decent peripheral vision. Also, I wear sun glasses and if you do too, that could be part of the problem, particularly if the sky is overcast.

As for etiquette, I don't know. I personally try to avoid pestering whomever I'm playing with my inability to see the ball just because I know that I would find it annoying to be expected to track someone else's ball on every shot. I follow my ball the best I can and go from there. I try to watch where the balls of everyone else go so that if asked, I can help. I've found that if I stand to one side of the tee box, it's easier to follow the shots played by others.

[quote name='Don W' timestamp='1320416840' post='3758643']
Not that you shouldn't get an eye exam, but pick up some pink balls, can be seen for a long way. Played recently with a guy that had the new pink 330RX, could see that thing for ever compared to white and yellow balls that were being played by the rest of us. I bought some for myself as I am in the same boat, anything much beyond 175 and clouds and I am guessing where it came down, really sucks with leaves on the ground.
[/quote]

Pink? I'm sorry, I can't do that. :swoon:

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1321500166' post='3811207']
When I was under 55, rarely would I run into someone who had trouble tracking/seeing their ball.

Now that most of my playing partners are 62+, I frequently play with players that cant track their ball and have difficulty even judging where it landed and how far. Its not unusual for most of them to actually request someone help them track their ball. I usually wont stand directly behind them and have little difficulty picking up the ball flight from just to their right or left. Many of them do have eye issues, and just havent had any correction, some dont see the need, and some just think its normal for someone their age.

I do mind someone standing directly behind me and find I need to frequently remind players not to stand directly behind me. They are just accustomed to standing behind for their other playing partners, and assume I need the help as well.

So my take is,,if you need help request it and be specific in what you want the "helper" to do. And dont automatically assume that someone needs or even wants your help tracking their ball.
[/quote]

I actually thought it was a courtesy to stand behind (well behind) your playing partner when teeing off in order to help track the ball? I play all the time with my son and we usually wait for one another to do this.

[quote name='Port tack' timestamp='1385641272' post='8220550']
[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1321500166' post='3811207']
When I was under 55, rarely would I run into someone who had trouble tracking/seeing their ball.

Now that most of my playing partners are 62+, I frequently play with players that cant track their ball and have difficulty even judging where it landed and how far. Its not unusual for most of them to actually request someone help them track their ball. I usually wont stand directly behind them and have little difficulty picking up the ball flight from just to their right or left. Many of them do have eye issues, and just havent had any correction, some dont see the need, and some just think its normal for someone their age.

I do mind someone standing directly behind me and find I need to frequently remind players not to stand directly behind me. They are just accustomed to standing behind for their other playing partners, and assume I need the help as well.

So my take is,,if you need help request it and be specific in what you want the "helper" to do. And dont automatically assume that someone needs or even wants your help tracking their ball.
[/quote]

I actually thought it was a courtesy to stand behind (well behind) your playing partner when teeing off in order to help track the ball? I play all the time with my son and we usually wait for one another to do this.
[/quote]

Perhaps a courtesy to those who need help, but often a distraction to those who don't.

[quote name='Port tack' timestamp='1385640814' post='8220532']
[quote name='Don W' timestamp='1320416840' post='3758643']
Not that you shouldn't get an eye exam, but pick up some pink balls, can be seen for a long way. Played recently with a guy that had the new pink 330RX, could see that thing for ever compared to white and yellow balls that were being played by the rest of us. I bought some for myself as I am in the same boat, anything much beyond 175 and clouds and I am guessing where it came down, really sucks with leaves on the ground.
[/quote]

Pink? I'm sorry, I can't do that. :swoon:
[/quote]

A guy I play with keeps pink balls in his bag for self punishment. If he three putts, he switches to pink until he gets a one putt.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

• 5 years later...

This thread was from 2011.

Though, since my eyes have been deteriorating at a very fast rate, I went to the eye doctor today. We dialed in glasses that I should have 20/15 eyesight at about 200 yards. I probably won’t be able to see my scorecard very well with them on, but I’ll just lift the glasses if it’s that blurry.

I’d rather see my ball down once in a while. The game is way more enjoyable when you can see the ball land and where it ends up.

Given how errant off the tee most of the membership claim to be, why would we want to actually see where the ball lands? Save the bad news for tax season.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @Bbop said:

> Ok. Everyone got way off topic by going into a rules debate. So back on to the topic originally posted. Does anyone have a tip or trick or product

> (ie sunglasses)to help/aid in tracking the ball in flight?

> ( As I am 45 and suddenly afflicted with the same issue)

The answer was in one of the first replies, to go see the eye doc. There are not tips or tricks or products (other than prescription glasses/contacts or eye surgery) that will correct failing vision.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> Just turned 50 and have had contacts for about four or five years. My problem is seeing distance, I'm very lucky if can see a ball on a green at 150 yards. Most times I watch the initial flight and curve and try to estimate the landing area. Fortunately , most of my playing partners know this and are pretty good about helping. It's pretty **** miserable.

>

>

>

> I just saw my eye doc this week and we're experimenting with one contact with just distance correction. If it works I'll get a few of these just to use for golf or watching ball games. Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a try.

My wife does this, and it works wonders for her.

To the OP, I had this problem for years. I was moderately near-sighted, and it only affected me on the course, nowhere else in day-to-day life, at least not enough to worry about it.

Early this year, I broke down and got prescription glasses for distance only. It made a world of difference. I can now track the ball out to at least 300 yards (not my drives, unfortunately). It definitely took a little adjusting to standing over the ball, as the prescription lenses slightly altered my depth perception, but it was a very quick adjustment. It's also a bit of a hassle as my near-vision is still almost perfect, so the distance glasses blur things close up (tried progressive and bifocals, total nightmare), so if I've got to look at my phone or the scorecard closely, I've got to either tilt back and look under the glasses or lift them off temporarily. For me, it's totally worth it to be able to track the ball.

Moral of the story: get your eyes checked, it could totally solve the problem.

• Like 1

> @TM_HOYER said:

> (Quote)

>

>

>

>

> With the laser my thought process was the yardage to the pin. Depending on the placement of the pin, when I aimed for the pin, my misses would many times put me in difficult positions (short siding, traps, deep rough, steep dropoff). When I went back to using my Skycaddie for my approach shots, I would look at the whole green, thinking about where I wanted to hit so my misses might still be on the green or leave me easy chips. Or the distance to hit to leave myself short of the hole so I would have an uphill putt instead of fast downhill putt. For most of courses I play, my Skycaddie has Intelligreen Pro and the course I belong to has the zones setup in Pinpoint so I get front, back, and center of the zone (instead of green). It got me less focused on the pin and more focused on where I wanted to hit my shot to.

I'm same as you. I almost never use my laser and much prefer the gps for the same reasons.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > Just turned 50 and have had contacts for about four or five years. My problem is seeing distance, I'm very lucky if can see a ball on a green at 150 yards. Most times I watch the initial flight and curve and try to estimate the landing area. Fortunately , most of my playing partners know this and are pretty good about helping. It's pretty **** miserable.

> >

> >

> >

> > I just saw my eye doc this week and we're experimenting with one contact with just distance correction. If it works I'll get a few of these just to use for golf or watching ball games. Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a try.

>

> My wife does this, and it works wonders for her.

>

> To the OP, I had this problem for years. I was moderately near-sighted, and it only affected me on the course, nowhere else in day-to-day life, at least not enough to worry about it.

>

> Early this year, I broke down and got prescription glasses for distance only. It made a world of difference. I can now track the ball out to at least 300 yards (not my drives, unfortunately). It definitely took a little adjusting to standing over the ball, as the prescription lenses slightly altered my depth perception, but it was a very quick adjustment. It's also a bit of a hassle as my near-vision is still almost perfect, so the distance glasses blur things close up (tried progressive and bifocals, total nightmare), so if I've got to look at my phone or the scorecard closely, I've got to either tilt back and look under the glasses or lift them off temporarily. For me, it's totally worth it to be able to track the ball.

>

> Moral of the story: get your eyes checked, it could totally solve the problem.

About the depth perception, it’s an interesting thing. I never wore glasses until late 2017. When I started wearing them, it took me about 1/2 round to get used to the depth perception and how much bigger/closer the ball looked.

Since I’ve been wearing them, I have tried contacts. While I can see perfectly clearly with the contacts (until they start haziNg up, but that’s another conversation), I absolutely cannot play golf in them. I top/skull/chunk/shank the ball constantly. Take them out and put my glasses back on, and all is well again. Now I only wear contacts at work since I don’t have prescription safety glasses.