2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Finding their groove-Edel Golf’s new wedge and the James Patrick controversy

By Zak Kozuchowski, GolfWRX Staff (troll indentified bottom page 4)
Finding their groove

Edel Golf's new wedge and the James Patrick controversy

By Zak Kozuchowski
GolfWRX Staff

When it comes to wedges, bounce is a golfer's friend. Legendary wedge designer Roger Cleveland will tell you that. Yet the majority of golfers use wedges that have much less bounce than the wedges Tour players use.

That seems odd, considering the mimicking effect Tour players often have on the average golfer. After all, the amount of Tour players using belly putters has caused belly putter sales to rise, not drop. So why do golfers with short games that fall well short of professional standards continue to buy low-bounce wedges? According to Mike Adams, a Golf Digest Top 50 instructor, the answer is simple. It's difficult for consumers to purchase wedges with enough bounce.

In Adams' 35 years of experience teaching golf, he's noticed that many of his students have developed flaws in their wedge technique as a result of using too little bounce in their wedges.

"Everybody was hanging back on their right foot," Adams said. "It wasn't just amateurs. It was low handicappers and Tour players. Players would hit chunks trying to increase the bounce and loft on their wedges."

Simply put, bounce angle indicates how far the leading edge of a club is off the ground when the club is soled. Zero degrees of bounce means that a club's sole rests flat on the ground. The more bounce a club has, the farther the leading edge is off the ground. Bob Vokey, one of the most renowned wedge designers in the world, says that bounce acts similarly to the rudder on a ship if it were turned sideways, helping the sole glide through the turf or sand as it moves through the ground. But if a ship nose-dives into the water, the rudder becomes of little assistance. Likewise, if the bounce on a wedge is placed too far back of the leading edge, it is not able to engage and help the wedge glide through the turf. The wedge will dig.

Because not all golfers have the same tendencies with their wedges, Adams devised a system he calls the "the seven angles of attack," which represent the seven possible paths a golfer can take to the golf ball. Through a fitting process that involves hitting shots off tight lies, deep grass and out of bunkers, he said he is able to identify a student as either a sweeper, picker, nipper, pincher, trapper, driver or digger, listed from the shallowest angle of approach to the steepest. Based on the results, he created the most suitable wedges for his students.

Adams learned while fitting wedges that it wasn't just the amount of bounce that was important. It was where the bounce was positioned on the wedge's sole, and how wide the sole was. The wider the sole, the more effective bounce on the wedge because of the greater surface area. The more narrow the sole, the less effective bounce a wedge has because of the decreased surface area.

Conventional wedge wisdom says that added bounce on a wedge makes it more difficult to use on tight lights, and harder to use for opened-face shots. But according to Adams, added bounce does not necessarily cause these problems. In fact, Adams said that with high-bounce wedges his students are still able to hit flop shots off of putting greens without taking a divot. How is this possible? It has to do with a wedge's grind.

By grinding down the trailing edge of a high-bounce wedge, Adams could make a club that was better from tight lies. He wanted players to be able to open a wedge up for lob shots, so he would grind off some of the metal on the heel, allowing the club to lay flatter when opened up. This also helped the heel avoid "catching" and "turning over" in deep rough. Adams wanted his players to be able to hit chip shots with the wedges as well, so he had the toe ground down to make hitting chip shots easier.

None of his grinds are any thing new in the golf industry, Adams said. The best golfers in the world have used them for decades. But the system that Adams created to properly fit players for the correct wedges was something new. His system allowed players to enhance what they could already do with a wedge, and make it more efficient in the places they struggled.

But Adams still had a problem. Because the majority of wedges that are produced by major equipment companies have low bounce, he had difficulty locating enough high-bounce wedges that he could tailor to the needs of his students. To help him solve this problem, Adams get in touch with friend and PGA Professional David Edel.

Wedge Friction

A year and a half ago, Adams contacted Edel, owner and founder of Edel Golf, with interest in creating a wedge company that used the custom-fitting system he had developed. Edel had already established a line of custom-fit putters, and had spent more than 15 years making golf clubs. He was an expert metal worker that had used his talents as a craftsman to create high-end watches, and fly reels for fishermen. Together, Adams and Edel were confident they could fill a need in the golf industry, a wedge company based on proper fitting.

The two then sought a talented grinder for their company, someone who could artfully execute Adams' custom fitting system. Their search led them to James Harrington, a 28-year-old with a wealth of wedge-grinding experience that was beyond his years. Adams and Edel wanted Harrington to become the face of their wedges – someone they could promote like Titleist does Bob Vokey.

Harrington, who is also known as James Patrick or JP, was mostly doing custom grinding on overweight Miura wedge heads at the time.

Click here to see pictures . He graduated from Arizona State University's PGA Golf Management Program, and had learned to make custom golf equipment at Hot Stix Golf and Cool Clubs Golf, two top custom-club making companies located in Scottsdale, Ariz. He also spent time under the tutelage of legendary MacGregor Golf club maker, Don White. Harrington had even done the grinds on a set of irons for Aaron Baddely that Baddely used to win his first PGA TOUR event, the Verizon Heritage, in 2006.

"It seemed like a good marriage between the three of us," Adams said. "JP was a very, very talented grinder."

After meetings at the 2010 Aloha Section PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit at Kapalua, Harrington agreed to create wedges for the 2011 PGA Merchandise Show. There was a good-faith agreement that the three could potentially produce a line of wedges.

Harrington began work on the wedges in September 2010. He searched for a forging company that could supply Edel Golf with the blank heads for their new line of wedges. He chose Kyoei (pronounced Ky-o-eh), a Japanese company that became Edel Golf's blank head supplier. When Edel received the heads from Kyoei in December 2010, he proceeded to machine the faces, grooves and logos at Edel Golf's headquarters outside Austin, Texas. He then sent 60 of the finished heads to Harrington for him to work on for the show.

It was around the time of the show that talks between Edel, Adams and Harrington started to break down. Harrington made the wedges for the show, but was dissatisfied with the terms of the agreement offered by Adams and Edel in the meetings that took place afterward.

"The contractual offer that Edel made wasn't in the best interest of James Patrick Golf," Harrington said. "I felt I had a lot to do yet in terms of James Patrick Golf."

Harrington had possession of the wedges he created for Edel Golf, and did not return them. After a dispute about the rightful owner of the wedges, Harrington agreed to pay Edel for the time he spent machining the wedges, which allowed Harrington to keep the designs. Since that time, there has been much discussion about the amount of influence Harrington had on Edel Golf's wedges. Click here for more discussion.

"Mike spent a lot of time with James," Edel said. "They worked on wedge design and philosophy. James and I only spoke about how we would develop the business. Mike was very particular about what he wanted [in a wedge]. There's this big controversy that I'm stealing James Patrick's designs, and that's just not true. The only thing I can honestly say I learned from James was the Kyoei blanks that we're using. Any similarities between my designs and James' designs are really similarities between Mike and James."

Adams called Harrington "one of the two best grinders of wedges in the world," but said that Harrington had no influence on the design of Edel Golf's wedge.

"When we found James, he was basically just taking the Miura head and making it nice and fancy," Adams said. "His designs are going to be similar to ours. I was showing him my fitting system and he was very impressed. He learned a lot from me. I can't unlearn him."

One of the key characteristics of Edel Golf's new line of wedges is the location of the center of gravity. Adams said that in most wedges, the center of gravity is not in the center of the club, but more toward the heel. The groove pattern of most wedges is also positioned closer to the heel. This can make wedge shots more intimidated to players, and increase the chance of mishits. Through the grinding process, Adams learned how to move the center of gravity into the center of the clubface. To match the center of gravity, he moved the groove pattern to the center of the clubface as well.

Harrington learned a great deal from Adams, but he said most of the knowledge he gained was about golf swing mechanics, not wedge grinding. He maintained that his designs heavily influenced the look of Edel Golf's wedges.

"To blatantly copy my designs from the thinned out hosel, heel and toe relief profile, center of gravity, and even my loft stamps is unsettling," Harrington said. "Overall, I am disappointed in Mike Adams and David Edel using my designs as their own without giving any credit or payment."

Edel said he doesn't believe Harrington was the first person to stamp the word "sixty" in the back of a wedge.

"If that's stealing, then I guess we did that," he said. "As far as the center of gravity, those were Mike's ideas. James didn't even want to put the grooves in the center of the clubface. He thought we should stay with a more traditional look."

Eying the future

Adams and Edel are co-owners of Edel Golf's wedge company, and currently have five fitting systems in place across the country for the forged model of its wedges. They hope to have 100 fitting systems in place by the end of the summer. As of Oct. 25, Edel had already sold 250 of the new wedges. He's also fit the entire University of Texas women's golf team, who are all using his wedges.

"They're seeing huge results," Edel said.

Edel Golf's wedges are also used by Nationwide Tour Player Diego Velasquez, LPGA Tour Player Katie Futcher and LPGA Futures Tour player Natalie Sheary. Velasquez used one of Edel's putters during his junior and senior year while at Oregon State University, where he was a First-Team All-American. When Velasquez turned professional this year, he went away from the Edel putter he used in college, but has since returned to a near replica.

In July 2011, Edel fit Velasquez for three of the company's wedges (52-degree, 56-degree and 60-degree), all of which he is currently using. Click here for pictures and discussion. During the fitting process, Edel worked to improve Velasquez's mechanics, a staple of the new fitting system. According to Edel, Velasquez's head was hanging too far back at address, and his hands were too far forward at impact. After instructing Velasquez to move his head farther forward and set hands more even with the ball at impact, Edel had Velasquez hit some shots with the lowest-bounce wedge in the line, 10 degrees, until he became more comfortable with the new positions. Then Velasquez tried wedges with more bounce until he was no longer taking massive divots.

Not surprisingly, Velasquez was fit for wedges with much more bounce than the wedges he was previously playing. His new 60-degree wedge has nearly six times as much bounce on it, from four degrees to 22 degrees. He also increased the bounce in his 52-degree and 56-degree models. In addition, Edel changed the shaft in Velasquez's wedges to the KBS Hi-Rev shaft, a shaft especially made for wedges that comes in a black finish.

Velasquez told Edel prior to the fitting that even if he liked the way the Edel Golf wedges performed, he would not play them if they did not look good. Velasquez was pleased with the designs, however, and said he liked the additional bounce and new shafts.

"My swing plane is very shallow, but with the Edel wedges, I can hit down on the ball more and get more check," Velasquez said. "I was using Vokey wedges before, but I was never really fit for them. I was never fit for any wedge before. I guess I just played them because they looked really good. The ball flight with the new shaft is a little flatter, which I like. It comes down to the little details you notice, hitting little shots around the green."

The Edel Golf wedge-fitting system will include interchangeable heads which will allow the fitter to identify which of the 14 available wedge shafts is right for the golfer. Along with the forged line of hand-ground wedges that will retail for $350, a cast line will be introduced in February 2012 with a price point of $195.

Edel regrets his relationship with Harrington, mostly because of the four-month setback his company incurred because of Harrington's departure, but he wishes him the best. Edel said that ultimately he thought Harrington wanted to have his own wedge company. Harrington, now 29, is the founder and owner of James Patrick Golf in Minneapolis, Minn., which is located near his hometown in Wisconsin.

The majority of the Harrington's clientele is located out of state, so he doesn't spend a lot of on the wedge mechanics and fitting system he learned from Adams. His company is based on the three pillars he established for wedge making -- quality materials, performance and aesthetics. He said to produce the best product in the world you need to start, just like a top chef does, with the best possible ingredients. He believes he has those ingredients in the Kyoei forgings that both he and Edel Golf use.

"I don't want to be the big-box retailer," Harrington said. "I like the roots of where I'm at, me making hand-made stuff. I'm able to offer a unique look because I'm an artist. I don't want to grow too fast."

According to Edel, the controversy has been bad for him and his brand, which he said has been building for 15 years with the goal of helping golfers. Through the years, he's seen golf companies rise, and then crash and fall. Often times, the fall is because of a departure from the company's original principals. He sees his company as not just a producer of golf clubs, but a golf company about education and learning. As long as he sustains those principals, he hopes his company will succeed.

Here are Pics of Edel's new line of wedges...

And here is an old pic of a James Patrick Wedge also...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really like the look of that Rusted wedge! Wouldn't mind snagging up one of those.. Good find

Taylormade Stealth+ 8* Hulk TX
Taylormade Sim 4w Tensei Pro White 70TX
Taylormade Sim 2i Nunchuck

Srixon ZX7 4-PW TI DG X1
Taylormade MG3 50, 55* TI DG X1
Wedgeworks 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S4
Goodwood Custom
PV1 Left Dash

Hilarious... Edel's credibility when it comes to taking others designs goes right out the window the second you look at their logo. There is a 100% chance that is the Olympic Club logo they are using. FAIL!

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='joeclothing' timestamp='1320804232' post='3777337']
Hilarious... Edel's credibility when it comes to taking others designs goes right out the window the second you look at their logo. There is a 100% chance that is the Olympic Club logo they are using. FAIL!
[/quote]

Seriously...

The 'Winged O' was first worn by Olympians May 30, 1890 in San Francisco at the championship games of the Pacific Coast Amateur Athletic Association. It was designed by George W. Jordan.

Now Edel might at least know where 'his' logo originated.

TM M1 430 9* / Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
Adams SuperLS 15* / Kuro Kage 70g S
Adams Idea Pro a12 20* / RIP VS Proto 80
Mizuno MP60 / TTDG S300
Vokey SM6 52*, Mizuno 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection #9

After reading this article and the other thread, I can say that I will never consider an Edel product. In the other thread there appeared to be an Edel rep responding to some of the JP copy posts, their tone was not respectful nor their arguments/statements credible. Integrity and golf go hand and hand and Edel has chosen which side of the fence thy are on. No thank you

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1320809114' post='3777645']
[/quote]

Seriously...

The 'Winged O' was first worn by Olympians May 30, 1890 in San Francisco at the championship games of the Pacific Coast Amateur Athletic Association. It was designed by George W. Jordan.

Now Edel might at least know where 'his' logo originated.
[/quote]

It's fair to say, there is nothing "original" about Edel. NO chance I will purchase any of their products. If I was JP I might want to think about lawyering up...clearly those are HIS designs.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

I thought Edel might be a real contender in the short game market... but after seeing the stamping... Com'on Man!

Has someone written "SIXTY" on a wedge before? Probably. Has someone done it EXACTLY like JPgolf? Probably not. And they don't say much about how Roger Cleveland put tons of bounce on the JAWS wedges last year? Personally, I think they should increase initial bounce and then shave the back down to something reasonable and not tell the consumer. Like how a 9* driver is really 10-11. Or a stock "stiff" is like a "regular" shaft from years back.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G430 5w (Tour 2.0 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

Guess I will have to return the Bentley now that I know they ripped off the Olympic Club logo.

[/quote]

Reading it, and then thinking of my own JP wedges while looking at the pics, I went, "Hey, those are my wedges that I got this summer. How can they be a "new design?" They're not even "kind of close." Those are my wedges, minus the grooves and a slightly softer bend in the body. And of course, those are pics of my JP wedges above. See for yourself!

Totally uncool. I'd be calling for some legal representation if I were JP.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Edel Golf - what a bunch of sheisters. What happened to honor in golf? The JP wedges look way better anyways. Clean, satin finish. I don't need my wedges to be colored. Also, did anyone else notice the, I'm assuming, tungsten inserts in the sole at the toe? Interesting. Guess Edel didn't steal that idea.

Regardless, these two companies obviously aren't the only people that can do custom grinds. I'm an advocate of custom grinds. Custom everything, really. I don't mean crazy color fills or weird grips - I mean custom fitting. Just makes the tremendously difficult game of golf a little bit easier.

[list]
[*]Callaway Big Bertha DBD 816 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 70S
[*]Titleist 906F2 15 degree w/ Aldila VS Proto 85S
[*]Titleist 906F2 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 75S
[*]Mizuno MP59 (3-PW) w/ KBS Tour 120 C-Taper S+
[*]Callaway Mack Daddy 3 Lucky Clover - 56 and 52 degree
[*]Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2 (34")
[*]Snell My Tour Ball
[/list]

Thanks for the great write up! Awesome info and a nice read...

Beyond the whole JP/Edel, who designed what and who ground what debate, I am amazed at the prices they are requesting...I'd be a whole lot more interested at a lower price point - can't see myself dropping $600-$1000/year on a set of wedges....especially given the quality of options from Scratch, Cleveland, Mizzy, Titleist for much, much less...

Edel will be offering a cast club in the very near future at a much lower price point. Same design.

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1320855705' post='3779105']

Beyond the whole JP/Edel, who designed what and who ground what debate, I am amazed at the prices they are requesting...I'd be a whole lot more interested at a lower price point - can't see myself dropping $600-$1000/year on a set of wedges....especially given the quality of options from Scratch, Cleveland, Mizzy, Titleist for much, much less...
[/quote]

[size="2"]Nothing like a good old controversy; but I don't see it thatway necessarily.[/size]

[size=2]Edel basically admits to copying the loft stamp concept from JamesPatrick in the article and it sounds like the logo itself may be oddly similar tothat of Olympic - whether on purpose or not... skeptic that I am, it makesme question some of the design and grind elements as well... [/size][size=2]The timeline doesn't really seem to be match for me either.[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Found some [/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]images/links posted on the James Patrick Golf FB pageunder photos and it appears posted 1/5/2010 - which means was posted prior to1-1/2 yrs. ago when Adams contacted Edel per the article, let alone when it is mentionedHarrington began working on sourcing a forging company for wedges for Edel(Sept. 2010). Hmmm.[/size]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772506101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772506101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater[/url]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772536101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772536101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater[/url]

[size=2]It does appear that there is a definite similarities in the wedgehead design as Harrington suggested in the quote in the article:[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]"[/size][color=#1C2837][size=2] the thinned outhosel, heel and toe relief profile, center of gravity, and even my loft stampsis unsettling[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2],"[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2] Posting dates [/size][/color][size=2]kind of go against the timeline thearticle lays out and how it is mentioned this whole "controversy"arose and the relationship initiated. [/size]

[size=2]I wish both companies the best of luck,but based on the photos in themselves, let alone the article, I know what directionI would lean and will continue to lean. I think the article only helps to reinforce James PatrickIS one of the best grinders of wedges in the world, as is mentioned, and is atrue wedge artist - part of which appears to be wedge design.[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Too many similarities to be a coincidenceIMHO.[/size][size=2] I will admit that Edel has a different/odd look to their grooves - UGH. [/size][size=2]Not much of a controversy if youasked me…[/size]

[quote name='pointebeach' timestamp='1320856089' post='3779137']
Edel will be offering a cast club in the very near future at a much lower price point. Same design.

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1320855705' post='3779105']

[/quote]
[/quote]
These are for a niche market. Most golfers simply won't be able to spend a grand on wedges. I definately wouldn't put myself in that boat either. But to get a custom wedge to my specs, to benefit my game and get a feel I like, I was glad to spend the cash, even though I gulped hard when I did. Cast wedges are fine for most people, but if you want something very specific, then you have to pay.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[b]Please be mindful of keeping your posts [i]on topic[/i] and within forum rules.[/b]

[color="#8B0000"][b]Rules[/b]

Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

[list]

[*]While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
[*]Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsense posts, or the like.
[/list][/color]

Thanks.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

both wedges are great, I have a friend with the JP and it is super nice, the feel is great... I wish them both the best, I have ran away from vokey, trying the mizuno's of late, hoping the trusty rusty's work for me again, if not I will certainly look to invest in one of these two guys after i save up the cabbage... Great great article though... one of the best golf articles I have read on the web maybe ever... great job, would love to see more write ups just like this one..

[quote name='Princeton TN' timestamp='1320864391' post='3779775']
both wedges are great, I have a friend with the JP and it is super nice, the feel is great... I wish them both the best, I have ran away from vokey, trying the mizuno's of late, hoping the trusty rusty's work for me again, if not I will certainly look to invest in one of these two guys after i save up the cabbage... Great great article though... one of the best golf articles I have read on the web maybe ever... [size="3"]great job, would love to see more write ups just like this one..[/size]
[/quote]

Zak is a great addition to GolfWRX.com. I look forward to working with him by adding photos and getting quotes from players out on Tour for his articles.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

I see so many parallels with other brands and clubs. Are people actually starting to realize that ingenuity and talent are more important? Are they going to quit buying copies and start appreciating better craftsmanship instead of a logo?

Could be interesting if this trend continues...

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Adams was working with JP well before October 2010. So much for that theory. Grassy knoll?

uote name='drivethepar4' timestamp='1320856395' post='3779171']
[size="2"]Nothing like a good old controversy; but I don't see it thatway necessarily.[/size]

[size=2]Edel basically admits to copying the loft stamp concept from JamesPatrick in the article and it sounds like the logo itself may be oddly similar tothat of Olympic - whether on purpose or not... skeptic that I am, it makesme question some of the design and grind elements as well... [/size][size=2]The timeline doesn't really seem to be match for me either.[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Found some [/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]images/links posted on the James Patrick Golf FB pageunder photos and it appears posted 1/5/2010 - which means was posted prior to1-1/2 yrs. ago when Adams contacted Edel per the article, let alone when it is mentionedHarrington began working on sourcing a forging company for wedges for Edel(Sept. 2010). Hmmm.[/size]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772506101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772506101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater[/url]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772536101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273772536101&set=a.273771541101.186455.273684526101&type=3&theater[/url]

[size=2]It does appear that there is a definite similarities in the wedgehead design as Harrington suggested in the quote in the article:[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]"[/size][color=#1C2837][size=2] the thinned outhosel, heel and toe relief profile, center of gravity, and even my loft stampsis unsettling[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2],"[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2] Posting dates [/size][/color][size=2]kind of go against the timeline thearticle lays out and how it is mentioned this whole "controversy"arose and the relationship initiated. [/size]

[size=2]I wish both companies the best of luck,but based on the photos in themselves, let alone the article, I know what directionI would lean and will continue to lean. I think the article only helps to reinforce James PatrickIS one of the best grinders of wedges in the world, as is mentioned, and is atrue wedge artist - part of which appears to be wedge design.[/size][size=2] [/size][size=2]Too many similarities to be a coincidenceIMHO.[/size][size=2] I will admit that Edel has a different/odd look to their grooves - UGH. [/size][size=2]Not much of a controversy if youasked me…[/size]
[/quote]