Presidents Cup...Why is this played?

TigerStrong

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us in the Southern Hemisphere we don't get to see our "Heros" play very often

I live in New Zealand But was born in South Africa.

I cant wait, I fly to Melbourne on Friday will be there Saturday/Sunday

Will get to see Phil,Tiger,Bubba,Ernie,Charl,Retief,Scott,Day,Hunter,Jim

Man that is a awesome list of Golfers :)

[quote name='mysterymanmarty' timestamp='1321407961' post='3805533']
[quote name='banno01991' timestamp='1321279043' post='3798377']
I think they should fix it that Woods plays Scott at least once. Tv audiences would be huge
[/quote]
They did, and then denied doing it.
[/quote]

Exactly, TV is exactly why they did it !!! Rather than letting the golf
take center stage, they are serving up more Tiger , Stevie , and Scott
story lines !!! This is why the Ryder Cup is a better event !!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

For money, plain and simple. I think the PGA tour gets a big a big cut
US players resisted it.
But int'l wanted to get in on Ryder cup action.
Theres no natural affiliation between a guy from Fiji for example and one from Canada.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

As an Australian I will be cheering for the Internationals as much as an American does for the US and a European for Europe.

While it is not a national team like the US or a continental team like Europe it is a team just the same.

Choose any professional sports team in the world; NBA, English Premier League, NFL etc and ask yourself these questions:

1) How many of the players come from the teams city (New York for the Yankees, Machester for Man U etc) - virtually none
2) What % of the global supporter base come from those cities - very little

Ultimately the players and supporters of sporting teams have (generally) little linking them to that team other than; being drafted, having a parent friends follow that team and in some cases living in the city in which the team is based. [u]It is all arbitrary.[/u] Many teams get moved from cities in decline etc - driven by money of course.

This does not these make supporters any less legitimate or passionate. It also means the International team is just as legitimate as any other team (although a bit younger).

I will be cheering for Els and Kim as much as I will be for Day and Scott.

[quote name='Sing Golfer' timestamp='1321442613' post='3806719']
As an Australian I will be cheering for the Internationals as much as an American does for the US and a European for Europe.

While it is not a national team like the US or a continental team like Europe it is a team just the same.

Choose any professional sports team in the world; NBA, English Premier League, NFL etc and ask yourself these questions:

1) How many of the players come from the teams city (New York for the Yankees, Machester for Man U etc) - virtually none

Ultimately the players and supporters of sporting teams have (generally) little linking them to that team other than; being drafted, having a parent friends follow that team and in some cases living in the city in which the team is based. [u]It is all arbitrary.[/u] Many teams get moved from cities in decline etc - driven by money of course.

This does not these make supporters any less legitimate or passionate. It also means the International team is just as legitimate as any other team (although a bit younger).

[/quote]

Very nicely stated, and quite true.

Let me add on a related issue in this thread that an organizer's doing something "just for TV" or "just to make money" is not evil, inappropriate or even sad. It is only the profit motive that enables any of us to see any professional sport. If you like to watch, learn to embrace it!

I plan to watch it. I enjoy watching some of the 'off season' events and this is better than most. And I always enjoy the events from down under. That's my dream trip one day, hopefully. :)

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

[quote name='Sing Golfer' timestamp='1321442613' post='3806719']

[/quote]
Players on these teams dont represent their countries. It's arguable they don't represent the city either, the team itself does. If you want to say they represent their cities at least consider they spend the whole year together as a team and every event they participate in is for the same team. The independent contractors that make up the presidents cup international squad come from a more geographically diverse base and only come together for one event every 2 years.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1321226979' post='3796609']
I will say this, though: I think it's unfair for the players of Europe, as well as those from other international countries, because they can only play in this "team event" every two years. The Americans get to do it every year...the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup. Rory McIlroy, and others, for example, are only allowed to participate in the Ryder Cup. So that's a bit unfair.
[/quote]
THe Euros have their version called the Seve Cup. The mainlanders vs the islands or some mishmosh. So don't feel bad for them.

The absurdity of it is its the Internationals vs. the US and 90% of the "Internationals" reside in the US. Most of these guys play each other in the Tavistock Cup which features Lake Nona vs Isleworth.

Norman the captain lives in Florida for the past 25 years as does his assistant Nobilo

Badds and Oglivie live in AZ

Adam Scott---Switzerland of course.

KJ Choi...Texas

Allenby, FL

Ernie Els, FL

RYO does live in Japan

Schwartzel is primarily South Africa

Jason Day is split Aus/FL

YE Yang...Texas

I like the event but it PALES in comparison to the RYDER CUP. More like the Skins game and Wendys three tour challenge.

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1321488603' post='3810079']
I will say this, though: I think it's unfair for the players of Europe, as well as those from other international countries, because they can only play in this "team event" every two years. The Americans get to do it every year...the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup. Rory McIlroy, and others, for example, are only allowed to participate in the Ryder Cup. So that's a bit unfair.
[/quote]
THe Euros have their version called the Seve Cup. The mainlanders vs the islands or some mishmosh. So don't feel bad for them.

The absurdity of it is its the Internationals vs. the US and 90% of the "Internationals" reside in the US. Most of these guys play each other in the Tavistock Cup which features Lake Nona vs Isleworth.

Norman the captain lives in Florida for the past 25 years as does his assistant Nobilo

KJ Choi...Texas

Allenby, FL

Ernie Els, FL

RYO does live in Japan

YE Yang...Texas

I like the event but it PALES in comparison to the RYDER CUP. More like the Skins game and Wendys three tour challenge.
[/quote]

I don't really think that's relevant. This comes up a lot when discussing any sport, as if living in the US takes away your sense of nationality if you are from somewhere else.

17 out of the 21 players on the US men's Soccer team play in Europe. I doubt they feel like they are from Germany or England come world cup time

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Now that the event's started, we see that Royal Melbourne is just Augusta National without the azaleas and dogwoods. Same green complexes, same false fronts, etc. If the wind blows, then things change. But right now, I fail to see how this course is "unlike anything you've ever seen." Just a lot of hype from people like Mike Clayton.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1321495301' post='3810675']
[/quote]

KJ Choi...Texas

Allenby, FL

Ernie Els, FL

RYO does live in Japan

YE Yang...Texas

[/quote]

I don't really think that's relevant. This comes up a lot when discussing any sport, as if living in the US takes away your sense of nationality if you are from somewhere else.

17 out of the 21 players on the US men's Soccer team play in Europe. I doubt they feel like they are from Germany or England come world cup time
[/quote]
You're entitled to your opinion on what is relevant for sure. My opinion is why this event pales in comparison to the Ryder Cup.
Theres not much of a Soccer league in the US. Its like dominicans and baseball.
Ryder Cup the Euros, many of them, are defending their tour as much as the European team. And their is a home team advantage because of it. they are all Europeans.
The International nature of President's typically means no home team for the internationals, this year (and when it was in South Africa) is a bit different due to the number of Aussies but when they go to Korea?

So to use your argument on nationality applies to 4 players in this event ---not too much national pride involved given those numbers.

Many of these guys play in the Tavistock Cup each year which is like a GAP match.

Its a fun event but no Ryder Cup never will be.

Now that the event's started, we see that Royal Melbourne is just Augusta National without the azaleas and dogwoods. Same green complexes, same false fronts, etc. If the wind blows, then things change. But right now, I fail to see how this course is "unlike anything you've ever seen." Just a lot of hype from people like Mike Clayton.

You got that after seeing two holes. Man,you got skills...rolleyes.gif

Play it, then come back to us...

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1321499513' post='3811139']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1321495301' post='3810675']
[/quote]

KJ Choi...Texas

Allenby, FL

Ernie Els, FL

RYO does live in Japan

YE Yang...Texas

[/quote]

[/quote]
You're entitled to your opinion on what is relevant for sure. My opinion is why this event pales in comparison to the Ryder Cup.
Theres not much of a Soccer league in the US. Its like dominicans and baseball.
Ryder Cup the Euros, many of them, are defending their tour as much as the European team. And their is a home team advantage because of it. they are all Europeans.
The International nature of President's typically means no home team for the internationals, this year (and when it was in South Africa) is a bit different due to the number of Aussies but when they go to Korea?

So to use your argument on nationality applies to 4 players in this event ---not too much national pride involved given those numbers.

Many of these guys play in the Tavistock Cup each year which is like a GAP match.

Its a fun event but no Ryder Cup never will be.
[/quote]

Oh i agree 100% the ryder cup is better. And yes it's better because there's more national pride. I just don't think it has anything to do with where the players live during the season. In any given year many of the Euros live in the US too (like Rory next year, pretty sure Poulter lives in Florida, Paul Casey in Arizona etc etc). I actually don't think we disagree at all i just misunderstood your point

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

calling a course Augusta National without the azaleas and dogwoods actually sounds like a huge compliment. I mean Augusta is like the golf holy land LOL. Someone can call me Brad Pitt without the money or something like that....and i'm not going to be mad at them

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

calling a course Augusta National without the azaleas and dogwoods actually sounds like a huge compliment. I mean Augusta is like the golf holy land LOL. Someone can call me Brad Pitt without the money or something like that....and i'm not going to be mad at them

It would be more correct to call Augusta National 'Royal Melbourne with azaleas' given RM came first rolleyes.gif

[b]PETER Thomson won five British Opens, three Australian Opens and was inducted into golf 's Hall of Fame, but the best thing he ever did was captain the International team to victory in the 1998 Presidents Cup. [/b] "It was a very joyous occasion," Thomson said. "To be captain of that bunch of young players was a wonderful experience for me.

"The other things are very selfish things -- there is no one to bother you and sometimes you win. But playing with a team is something different.

"It's belonging. Everybody wants to belong -- family, church, something. This is the only way you do it in golf for those who are not Europeans or Americans, to belong to a Presidents Cup team."

[quote name='PavinsHat' timestamp='1321499282' post='3811119']
[/quote]

Golf mag ranks it 13 in the world. Must be something there. Looks spectacular on TV but I've never played it so I'll defer to you since you apparently have played it and Augusta.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1321559477' post='3814397']
[quote name='PavinsHat' timestamp='1321499282' post='3811119']
[/quote]

Golf mag ranks it 13 in the world. Must be something there. Looks spectacular on TV but I've never played it so I'll defer to you since you apparently have played it and Augusta.
[/quote]

Show me where I said RM isn't a great course. It is a great course, but it's not unique. And people were saying it would befuddle the U.S. team, which it hasn't. At all.