Presidents Cup 2011 Discussion Thread (merged)

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1321634932' post='3818419']
[quote name='kjo257' timestamp='1321634428' post='3818359']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321633867' post='3818319']
TW played good, possibly the best out there yesterday. DJ did nothing to help and TW almost won on his own, he had 3-4 shots on the back that could have easily dropped. Badds putted very good and that is the only reason he and Day won.
[/quote]

Man, it is getting deep here. Tiger had two birdies yesterday. Kuchar had five, Bubba had four, Furyk had three, Webb had two, DJ had two, Phil had two, Hass had two plus an eagle. Tiger played well, but he wasn't the best out there. Get a grip on reality.
[/quote]

Doesn't tell the entire story. DJ had his ball in his pocket more than half the day. That can change how Tiger plays a hole.

Reality, Tiger has been playing well. IDK if I would say "best." I would reserve that for Bubba. But, he also has the luxury of playing with Simpson instead of Stricker and DJ. Hard to say.
[/quote]

I agree.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321594317' post='3816891']
[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1321594045' post='3816875']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321593679' post='3816863']
I saw Amy sitting next to Phil...I must have missed Elin sitting next to Tiger...oh, wait.....nevermind.
[/quote]

ZINGER! from the guy who thinks speedos are an acceptable form or attire.
[/quote]

I never said that...I just presented you the facts relative to the ownership of the brand...

Argue with the ~45 million shareholders of parent company's common stock.

They would discontinue the brand if they weren't successful.

Not my cup of tea, [b][size="3"]but, who am I to judge?
[/size][/b][/quote]

Oh, the irony.

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1321634650' post='3818391']
DJ is my favorite player. TW isn't...

With that said, TW has been a one man show in both his pairings. Stricker just flat our sucked on day 1. Period.

DJ wasn't much better for TW in match 2.

TW did nothing extraordinary, but Badds had the best round of the day. He made 4 or 5 birdies...the most of anyone.
[/quote]

Badds had 4 birdies and 3 bogies

The two holes which he didn't finish went like this:
#1 11' for par
#8 4' for bogey

So, in strokeplay he shot even par.

Tiger had 2 birdies and 2 bogies

The 5 holes unfinished went like this:
#2 6' for birdie
#7 3' for bogie
#11 5' for birdie,
#12 16 inches for par
#13 21' for par

Hard to say how that would have played out, but on that tough day they both played very well.

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1321628203' post='3817899']
It must take a writing genius to harp on another for a fever blister. Golf talk can be fun w/o personal attack IMO.
[/quote]

Laughable......half the posters on the board would have their post counts reduced significantly if they had to "bite their tongues" in any thread with TIGER WOODS in the title. Birds of a feather.......it's comical, to say the least.

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321628389' post='3817907']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321627998' post='3817875']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321627638' post='3817849']
The angry tone suggests that you're getting upset with those that disagree with you.

Stop for a second and rationalize the idea that for some, 12 holes of alternate shot is a large enough sample size to declare Woods as washed up.

On the other hand, folks like yourself take the long approach and believe that 12 holes is much too small of a sample size to judge Woods as being washed up.

My opinion is that 12 holes of alternate shot is much too small of a sample size to form a solid argument.

There's really no problem taking with either position because regardless of whether Tiger is #1 in the world there will always be naysayers..

Only time will tell who is right or wrong.
[/quote]

That and they've played 18 holes alt shot and 18 holes better ball, so the sample size got bigger.

The 12 holes alt shot thing doesn't even work anymore.
[/quote]

Regardless of Woods playing 12 holes, 18 holes, 72 holes, 4 tournaments, one full season....my logic and rationale still hold true.

At some point in the future we will be able to look back and make a declarative statement relative to Woods' ability, when it peaked, then when it definitively declined.

Perhaps you've already seen enough golf to make your declarative statement.

In my opinion, we're not there yet.
[/quote]

Does your same logic hold true when referencing McIlroy, Fowler, etc? It appears that, to many, this is not applicable to young Rory. How he was named Golf Magazine POY is beyond me but that is a conversation for another time.

[quote name='C. Spackler' timestamp='1321635186' post='3818439']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321594317' post='3816891']
[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1321594045' post='3816875']
[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1321593679' post='3816863']
I saw Amy sitting next to Phil...I must have missed Elin sitting next to Tiger...oh, wait.....nevermind.
[/quote]

ZINGER! from the guy who thinks speedos are an acceptable form or attire.
[/quote]

I never said that...I just presented you the facts relative to the ownership of the brand...

Argue with the ~45 million shareholders of parent company's common stock.

They would discontinue the brand if they weren't successful.

Not my cup of tea, [b][size="3"]but, who am I to judge?
[/size][/b][/quote]

Oh, the irony.
[/quote]

I'm waiting eagerly for you to elaborate on the notion of the irony in my post.

Please, do tell.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1321636571' post='3818525']
Playing Allenby again (in foursomes!!!), sitting Kim and Yang without talking to them first.
Does anybody else feel that Norman handles this pretty much like Faldo did in the 2008 Ryder Cup?
[/quote]

Norman is a highly unlikeable guy. It is not hard to root against him.

Playing Allenby again (in foursomes!!!), sitting Kim and Yang without talking to them first.
Does anybody else feel that Norman handles this pretty much like Faldo did in the 2008 Ryder Cup?
[/quote]
I got mocked for this earlier. But I guarantee he is sitting them because of the language barrier and the fact that he cannot pair them with certain people.

As far as Norman- I think he is a lousy captain. Every time the camera is on him it looks like he wants to read the players putts.

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321629985' post='3817995']
[quote name='Dasenergi' timestamp='1321629364' post='3817967']
Regardless if DJ did anything at all they win/halve that match. Tiger played against 2 players alone and stll didn't get blown out. If you watched the match he played well all day IMO
[/quote]
Some people watch but don`t [i][b]want to[/b][/i] see. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Fify ;)

[quote name='mysterymanmarty' timestamp='1321637415' post='3818607']
Every team that was ahead on day 1, wins the event. The odds are stacked against Norman. And why put Scott and choi the two most solid players against woods and Johnson? Personal vendetta against woods?
[/quote]

Tiger fanboys, both captains, and most in the media have wanted this pairing (Tiger vs Stevie). Only now the fanboys are having second thoughts after the dy one beatdown. This is Tiger's chance for redemption!

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*

[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1321636919' post='3818557']
[/quote]

Norman is a highly unlikeable guy. It is not hard to root against him.
[/quote]

About Allenby, whom Norman picked for his local knowledge: He will hit a glorious shot here and there and he will make the odd long putt (seems easier for him than the short ones), but that means that he should be playing in fourballs matches, when there is a choice. Pairing him with Ogilvy in foursomes could put an end to the Magic of The Mo.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321633636' post='3818303']

Are you trying to rain on the Tiger bashers` parade?
[/quote]

we get it your a tiger fan but people are also allowed there opinion,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='kjo257' timestamp='1321635055' post='3818425']
[quote name='C. Spackler' timestamp='1321634429' post='3818361']
[quote name='triplebogeyblues' timestamp='1321587696' post='3816431']
Some food for thought.

[b][size="3"]Why does Greg Norman always look angry?
[/size][/b]
If they banned certain groove types, how on God's green earth is that thing Adam Scott is using legal?
[/quote]

He's a walking hardon....a major dckhead!
[/quote]

I saw Norman up close at a recent US Senior Open and saw him rip a young female photographer that was walking with his group and it was totally uncalled for IMO. That is my only personal experience with the guy but it formed my opinion of him. He appeared to be a dbag.
[/quote]

When I was younger, I used to volunteer at several PGA events during the SoFla swing for many years and had several unpleasant "experience"s with him, directly and indirectly. He was easily the most disliked among the volunteers, year in and year out. More than enough ammunition for me to form my personal opinion....yes HUGE DBAG!!

[quote name='cbrian' timestamp='1321596936' post='3817011']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1321595538' post='3816955']
I want the USA to win.

The best chance of that happening would have been if Freddy used his captains picks on a golfer who played better than Tiger did this year.

That said, too late, the best chance now is to put the best players on the course.

Neither Johnson nor Woods have looked really good yet in two days of play.

I hope Freddy makes the right call here and doesn't continue to pander to....well...to pander....
[/quote]

Some of you don't quit.... The US will win this and some of you will be saying "it would have been a bigger margin if only Tiger wasn't there."

The right call? The right call is for Freddy to do what he thinks is right. Thats why he was selected as captain. If he thinks Tiger, or Stricker, or whoever is the best choice then thats who he should go with. Also, I think its pretty arrogant for you guys to imply that he is making certain choices to appease people. I think the guy has earned the right to do the job the way he thinks it should be done without you implying that he doesn't have the teams best interest in mind.
[/quote]

As long as they win, I don't care by how many. But really...with how he played so far, is there any question that Tiger Woods was not a better pick than some of the guys who played good golf down the stretch?

Of course Couples has the team's best interest IN MIND. But he has lots of other criteria in mind also. That's his job as a captain. He has the right to pick who he wants...and go with them...but that does not mean that what he decides is necesarily right. People in leadership positions make mistakes all the time. CEOs get fired...their underlings get fired....GMs draft busts...they sign bad FAs. The thought process was defendable, most of the time, if you wanted to defend it, but hindsight says they were bad decisions. So far, hindsight says that bringing Tiger Woods to Australia has been a bad decision. He may well turn it around, suddenly... but I'm not betting on a sudden reversal of what we have seen so far since he came back.

I want the USA to win - first and foremost. I don't care if Woods is on the team or not. But if he is on the team, I want him to be contributing to a win, not to drawing TV viewers or advertisers.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Norman got his picks and order all wrong if he wants to win. I would have paired Scott/Ogilvy and Badds/Day together for the foursomes and put them out #1 and #2 to try to put the pressure on right away. I would have then put Schwartzel/Goosen out last. As it stands right now the first two matches will more than likely go to the US and put a ton of pressure on the last three pairings for the internationals. It's like he put the lambs out first for the slaughter. The only person playing worse than Allenby is KT Kim. I would have put Yang in and set Allenby. Honestly Greg is so full of himself, if he had it his way it would be Australia vs the USA.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321599775' post='3817131']
[quote name='Green Valley' timestamp='1321598093' post='3817053']
[quote name='mysterymanmarty' timestamp='1321597628' post='3817039']
[quote name='Green Valley' timestamp='1321597472' post='3817029']
[quote name='Redman' timestamp='1321594585' post='3816897']
Not sure what the point of Phil needing a putting coach was based on my comments about Tiger, but no I don't think he does. I personally think that just puts way more thoughts and technique in both of their heads. They both always have had terrific feel and that is most important in putting. I will say Phil would need it before Tiger though. As good of a putter as Phil has been at times he was never close to Tiger - especially when it had to be made.

As far as sitting someone out, I think it would be Tiger and DJ. I doubt very much that Freddie will sit Tiger but maybe it would piss him off enough to get his sh!t in gear. Plus maybe he could practice his old putting stroke all morning and finally make something.
[/quote]

Did you see Tiger eagle putt today that he miss by a inch? How about his 25 foot putt that he put in the center of the cup. I didn't see any of that from Phil today.
[/quote]
Watching the highlights it showed how much tigers partners really did not contribute at all. Dj had zero birdies!
[/quote]

Exactly, I watched the whole thing. Tiger looked fine.
[/quote]

Tiger was one of the best players that I saw today.
I think both teams have much more to be worried about than Tiger Woods.

[b]People who judge Woods on 12 holes of alternate shot with a struggling partner don`t have a clue.
[/b][/quote]

What about people who have been judging him based on everything he has done since returning, and since changing his swing again? Clueless too?

Tiger hasn't been scoring at Top 10 levels since returning. That's, ultimately, what mattters most.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='twgolf' timestamp='1321638500' post='3818685']
Norman got his picks and order all wrong if he wants to win. I would have paired Scott/Ogilvy and Badds/Day together for the foursomes and put them out #1 and #2 to try to put the pressure on right away. I would have then put Schwartzel/Goosen out last. As it stands right now the first two matches will more than likely go to the US and put a ton of pressure on the last three pairings for the internationals. It's like he put the lambs out first for the slaughter. The only person playing worse than Allenby is KT Kim. I would have put Yang in and set Allenby. Honestly Greg is so full of himself, [b]if he had it his way it would be Australia vs the USA.[/b][/quote]
This is an excellent post and I could not agree more with the last sentence.

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321625416' post='3817709']
[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1321605216' post='3817249']
[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321599775' post='3817131']
[b]Tiger was one of the best players that I saw today.[/b]
I think both teams have much more to be worried about than Tiger Woods.

[b]People who judge Woods on 12 holes of alternate shot with a struggling partner don`t have a clue.[/b]
[/quote]

but how come your judging him saying he is playing fine then :welcomeani:
[/quote]
What part of "Tiger was one of the best players that I saw today" do you find so difficult to comprehend?

That is not a claim that he is ready to dominate the game again, [b]unlike idiots who claim that this validates their wet dreams that he is done.
[/b][/quote]

Really? Care to point to examples? Thought not...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321634074' post='3818335']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321631359' post='3818107']
[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321630864' post='3818071']I am very open and honest and call things as I see them without sugar coating, especially when someone who doesn`t make sense tries to mock me.
[/quote]

So the people who allegedly claim Tiger to be "done" are actually mocking you, instead?

Interesting.
[/quote]
Like I said before, you have major comprehension issues and you are consistent.
[b]What part of the word "especially" do you not comprehend?
[/b]
[b]I actually don`t recall insulting anybody.
[/b]I am just stating the truth, as I see it.
[/quote]

Really? I mean - seriously?

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1321638451' post='3818683']
[But really...with how he played so far, [b]is there any question[/b] that Tiger Woods was not a better pick than some of the guys who played good golf down the stretch?
[/quote]

Of course there is a question. It is silly to say that Tiger was a better pick than Keegan when Tiger is 0-2 going into today. Tiger has played well but you have absolutely no way of knowing how Keegan or anyone else would have done instead. I do know this though: nobody else would have lost more matches than Tiger has so far.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1321637866' post='3818635']
[quote name='Maliboothby' timestamp='1321633636' post='3818303']
Are you trying to rain on the Tiger bashers` parade?
[/quote]

we get it your a tiger fan but people are also allowed there opinion,
[/quote]
I am a Tiger fan but I am not willfully blind.
I know when he plays bad but some people can`t see when he plays good.

[quote name='kjo257' timestamp='1321639124' post='3818745']
[But really...with how he played so far, [b]is there any question[/b] that Tiger Woods was not a better pick than some of the guys who played good golf down the stretch?
[/quote]

Of course there is a question. It is silly to say that Tiger was a better pick than Keegan when Tiger is 0-2 going into today. Tiger has played well but you have absolutely no way of knowing how Keegan or anyone else would have done instead. [b] I do know this though: nobody else would have lost more matches than Tiger has so far[/b].
[/quote]

That's my point. It can't be any worse than it has been so far.

I may have misworded my post. Tiger has not contributed to any wins yet. Bradley, or any other golfer, MAY have done better. I wish Captain Couples would have gone with a guy who was playing better golf at the time of selection.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[/quote]

Of course there is a question. It is silly to say that Tiger was a better pick than Keegan when Tiger is 0-2 going into today. Tiger has played well but you have absolutely no way of knowing how Keegan or anyone else would have done instead. I do know this though: nobody else would have lost more matches than Tiger has so far.
[/quote]
This thing is only half way over. Let's wait until it's over to judge. Fred has been doing an excellent job, no reason to second guess any of his decisions.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1321639377' post='3818767']
[/quote]

[/quote]
This thing is only half way over. Let's wait until it's over to judge. Fred has been doing an excellent job, no reason to second guess any of his decisions.
[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with forming an opinion after two days of competition. Try it. You can always change it later if you want. Isn't second guessing one of the reasons for threads like this one?

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*