Bourbon

GooseHook

On 12/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, MPAndreassi said:

The only thing I have more of than golf clubs. Primarily a bourbon drinker, but some of my favorite whiskies are ryes. 

AAEDDCF4-1B23-450F-B3C1-58158823D965.jpeg

AB0FD226-509A-42C0-8E6E-6BB8CDB01E84.jpeg

C23084AB-EC68-4139-A97F-168F34968296.jpeg

The New Riff single barrel ryes are the real deal.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

12 hours ago, tiderider said:

what's your opinion J Ocean? 

It’s definitely unique and not for everyone. Personally, I find it good but I have quite a few friends who don’t like it. If you can find it out somewhere I’d recommend giving it a try that way first. 

16 minutes ago, JDFish said:

The New Riff single barrel ryes are the real deal.

I like all of the New Riff stuff, and found it to be really enjoyable. These are the first ones I’ve been able to scoop up personally. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

16 hours ago, MitchellGolfing said:

The collection is slowly growing.

7171C968-CE3F-48C1-89B5-211435828246.png

Two excellent choices that punch way above their price point and should be stocked in any home bar!

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:32 AM, GooseHook said:

Two excellent choices that punch way above their price point and should be stocked in any home bar!

Completely agree.  Buffalo Trace, as a whole-as a distillery, is top notch with everything they do.  Eagle Rare (step above Buffalo Trace release) was my best bang for the buck before pandemic raised prices on bourbon everywhere.  And Blanton’s used to be $50-$70, was a great value.

I highly recommend bourbon distillery tours combined with golf trips. Maybe in 2022 when things return to ‘normal’.

I do keep going back to Woodford Reserve as well.

• Like 1

saw someone standing out in front of the ABC store yesterday 10 minutes before it opened ... i thought delivery was Wed or Th ... he said it was M, T or W, but didn't know if a delivery had been made ... bout two minutes before opening, the ABC employee holds up some bottles to show us what had been delivered ... score! ... they got 5 bottles of the Old Fitz, their only allotment for the year ... 

1?ui=2&ik=0a92138a5a&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1686782443904446542&th=1768a7b21e4a304e&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8f6XnrP4uIsg_8LHQFtw3vw-FjTSndSjbg2AflvIhLaQjHQotiR6I2eSFcDpERG8AUBVMZEqdON6Rsaxsz16rwN0RVsPzrht1gtadOhgfKi9Txm1BIeSA3QtM&disp=emb

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, PappyVanRoyl said:

Completely agree.  Buffalo Trace, as a whole-as a distillery, is top notch with everything they do.  Eagle Rare (step above Buffalo Trace release) was my best bang for the buck before pandemic raised prices on bourbon everywhere.  And Blanton’s used to be $50-$70, was a great value.

I highly recommend bourbon distillery tours combined with golf trips. Maybe in 2022 when things return to ‘normal’.

I do keep going back to Woodford Reserve as well.

Did you copy my profile name????

On 12/22/2020 at 7:40 AM, tiderider said:

saw someone standing out in front of the ABC store yesterday 10 minutes before it opened ... i thought delivery was Wed or Th ... he said it was M, T or W, but didn't know if a delivery had been made ... bout two minutes before opening, the ABC employee holds up some bottles to show us what had been delivered ... score! ... they got 5 bottles of the Old Fitz, their only allotment for the year ... 

1?ui=2&ik=0a92138a5a&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1686782443904446542&th=1768a7b21e4a304e&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8f6XnrP4uIsg_8LHQFtw3vw-FjTSndSjbg2AflvIhLaQjHQotiR6I2eSFcDpERG8AUBVMZEqdON6Rsaxsz16rwN0RVsPzrht1gtadOhgfKi9Txm1BIeSA3QtM&disp=emb

ABC here in Virginia got the newest release of Stagg Jr on Monday....they post their inventory (and what stores have what) to the website around 10 each morning.  With COVID, stores open at noon, so depending on the bottles that show up, lines begin to form anywhere from 10 to 11.  I scored some Old Fitzgerald a couple months back....sat out front starting at 10. My wife called me a loser.  Picked up a bunch of Stagg Jr, Weller Antique, EH Taylor, Blanton's as well by just showing up a little early.

16 minutes ago, gregh729 said:

Where in VA? I am in Maryland (DC suburb) and am seeing the same thing here. Lines every Friday on delivery day

I'm in Virginia Beach....I've found that we get stuff here on Mondays and sometimes Wednesdays.  NOVA generally gets their stuff on Tuesdays, and sometimes later in the week.  Richmond is usually Wednesday.....this isn't an exact pattern....just what I've observed.

Virginia is exhausting, especially Northern VA. Its the worst state to live in for anything remotely hard to get. Last year I showed up to a location that had two bottles of Blantons showing on its inventory - people had slept out overnight. This year? Same thing. At 7 AM I saw their inventory and rolled over an hour before opening - didnt matter. The kid in front of the line said he spent the night on the *offchance* that they got some Blantons he read on Reddit that they might. LOL. No pattern, no rhyme or reason, no definitive number. People have no problem sleeping out overnight.

This year, its even worse, they have stopped their lottery system. God knows how they will give the stuff away. Same corrupt way they used to, giving it to friends that work in ABC stores and those guys running grey market lotteries on the side. Probably...I definitely dont know from experience LOL.

Meanwhile I walked into Jack Rose in DC last week, they have Blantons sitting right there. $125 for a bottle, here you go. Ripoff? Maybe. Its double what I would have paid in VA but my time is more valuable than that garbage - and its right there, cash in hand, take bottle, leave. Man that place has gotten A LOT of business from me the last few months, they were selling off a lot of their collection to keep their folks employed and the bar open. Massive collection. Here, take my money.

TLDR - Virginia sucks, LOL

/rant

So it looks like its been @ six years since I posted in this thread. My collection has definitely become more 50-50 scotch than bourbon. Its also taken over what used to be two shelves for dishes. I have three bottles of Buffalo Trace and a bunch of other stuff just sitting on the floor or sitting on a side table.

First shelf - Blantons, ER, Yamazaki 12, Balvenie 12, Balvenie 14 Peat Week, Lagavulin 16, Hibiki Harmony, Nikka Coffey Still, John E Fitzgerald VSR 20

Second shelf - Whistlepig Farmstock Rye, EH Taylor BIB, Glenmorangie 15, Jefferson Reserve Roth Cask, Glenlivet 18, '17 PVW 15 yr, Jack Single Barrel, BT, Kilchomen Single Batch, Willet Pot Still, Woodford Double Oaked

20201224_143310 (1).jpg

20201224_143317.jpg

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

Virginia is exhausting, especially Northern VA. Its the worst state to live in for anything remotely hard to get. Last year I showed up to a location that had two bottles of Blantons showing on its inventory - people had slept out overnight. This year? Same thing. At 7 AM I saw their inventory and rolled over an hour before opening - didnt matter. The kid in front of the line said he spent the night on the *offchance* that they got some Blantons he read on Reddit that they might. LOL. No pattern, no rhyme or reason, no definitive number. People have no problem sleeping out overnight.

This year, its even worse, they have stopped their lottery system. God knows how they will give the stuff away. Same corrupt way they used to, giving it to friends that work in ABC stores and those guys running grey market lotteries on the side. Probably...I definitely dont know from experience LOL.

Meanwhile I walked into Jack Rose in DC last week, they have Blantons sitting right there. $125 for a bottle, here you go. Ripoff? Maybe. Its double what I would have paid in VA but my time is more valuable than that garbage - and its right there, cash in hand, take bottle, leave. Man that place has gotten A LOT of business from me the last few months, they were selling off a lot of their collection to keep their folks employed and the bar open. Massive collection. Here, take my money.

TLDR - Virginia sucks, LOL

/rant

So it looks like its been @ six years since I posted in this thread. My collection has definitely become more 50-50 scotch than bourbon. Its also taken over what used to be two shelves for dishes. I have three bottles of Buffalo Trace and a bunch of other stuff just sitting on the floor or sitting on a side table.

First shelf - Blantons, ER, Yamazaki 12, Balvenie 12, Balvenie 14 Peat Week, Lagavulin 16, Hibiki Harmony, Nikka Coffey Still, John E Fitzgerald VSR 20

Second shelf - Whistlepig Farmstock Rye, EH Taylor BIB, Glenmorangie 15, Jefferson Reserve Roth Cask, Glenlivet 18, '17 PVW 15 yr, Jack Single Barrel, BT, Kilchomen Single Batch, Willet Pot Still, Woodford Double Oaked

20201224_143310 (1).jpg

20201224_143317.jpg

Very nice!  If I could make an unsolicited suggestion, Bruichladdich Classic Laddie (or any of their unpeated single malts) was an interesting experience to taste the barley mash that forms scotch absent of the peat smoke.  I love scotch, and bourbon, and the unpeated single malt was just another adventure on the whiskey path.  Like a dry wine (single malt barley mash) vs sweet wine (bourbon mostly corn mash).  FWIW. Cheers!

Drinking Whistlepig Rye as I write this. 

bang for buck, Four Roses, Weller Reserve. 

go to at most bars: Woodford Reserve

Favorites:  Woodford double oaked, Blantons, Willet, Jefferson Reserve is good, Knob Creek is great when you are in the mood for some burn.  

so many good choices. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

going to visit my niece and her husband ... he has blanton's single barrel (rye bourbon), and I will bring four roses small batch select and old forester 1920 (rye bourbons), old larceny barrel proof/wellers antique 107/makers mark cask strength (wheated), and whistle pig 6 year old and jack daniels single barrel rye (rye) ... that jd single barrel rye is very smooth ... not a bad bottle at all ... 

• 2 weeks later...

in our quest for high premium bourbons, don't miss out on under-rated, accessible values ... 

very good whiskey, here ... goes really, really well as a dessert drink with s'mores pop tarts ... probably for b'fast, also ... not that there's anything wrong with that ... 

Buy Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select Whiskey | ReserveBar

• Like 2