Standing "Behind" Someone

Please answer a question I've had for 25 years
As a kid I never caddied, but thought about it and did attend an orientation session when I was about 13. The only thing I remember from that day was being told "don't stand behind the golfer." That statement confused me then, and continues to do so. Where is "behind?"

Is it to the golfer's rear (butt side)? That makes sense to me as it meets the common definition of behind. However, golf-wise that seems like the proper spot as you would be out of the golfer's field of vision.

Or, in golf, does behind mean down the target line (to the golfer's right as he addresses the ball). To me that could be considered behind as it's behind the direction of play. Plus it potentially could be in the golfer's line of sight.

As I've always struggled with "where" stand when partnered with someone I usually focus on the "how far" away part and make sure I'm not even close enough to be crowding. I also make sure I'm still.

Where is your "behind"?

To me behind is, down the line. i.e. to the right of a right handed golfer at address. Personally , don't care where playing partners stand, just don't crowd me. Have a regular playing partner that crowd's and has a nasty habit of beginning to "step" into the teeing area before the player is finished his/her swing. Does the same on the putting green.

• Like 1

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

The proper etiquette for a right hander golfer would be to stand behind and to the right about 5 paces each way. If he is Lefty, same thing on the left side. While you may still BARELY be in his peripheral vision, this is considered more proper than being behind his back completely out of sight.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

I think there are different rules if you're on the tee box versus on the green. It's not uncommon, and not poor form IMO, to stand behind someone teeing off or in the fairway. On the putting green however, like the posters above said, behind = down the line. On the green, a good rule of thumb is to never stand anywhere you can see the golfer's eyes (right or left). With that in mind, the best places to stand are either at their back or on the complete opposite side (where you'd be looking at the top of their head).

I do not care where someone stands as long as they stand still! If you walk in behind me while im hitting a tee shot ill freak out. Only cause I hit a person one time and they blamed me. But in Arizona a ton of our desert courses have small tee boxes surrounded by fauna that bites back. So guys walk behind me and i know they are close. All I ask is stay still

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1323459447' post='3917317']
As a kid I never caddied, but thought about it and did attend an orientation session when I was about 13. The only thing I remember from that day was being told "don't stand behind the golfer." That statement confused me then, and continues to do so. Where is "behind?"

Is it to the golfer's rear (butt side)? That makes sense to me as it meets the common definition of behind. However, golf-wise that seems like the proper spot as you would be out of the golfer's field of vision.

Or, in golf, does behind mean down the target line (to the golfer's right as he addresses the ball). To me that could be considered behind as it's behind the direction of play. Plus it potentially could be in the golfer's line of sight.

As I've always struggled with "where" stand when partnered with someone I usually focus on the "how far" away part and make sure I'm not even close enough to be crowding. I also make sure I'm still.

Where is your "behind"?
[/quote]

I brought this pet peeve up in another thread. [b]Behind is at the back of the tee box, in my case to my right. [/b] And, they usually stand on the tee box.

Golfers too often like to stand behind me. Its not age related because all ages do it. Not sure if they just like to watch ball flight or think their helping to keep track of ball direction... what ever it is, many can't track the ball because they can't see very well, or they loose the ball in flight due to sky/sun. Its annoying because they typically can't stand still. Someone ends up picking their nose, azz or moving around enough that it causes a distraction, that's picked up out of the corner of my eye as I turn away from the ball into my back swing.

PS; second though has reminded me that I have a minor case of ADD, that was diagonse long ago. My point is a great many people have it but never been diagnosed. So, the miss step of someone standing at the back of the tee (behind) or behind in the fairway, can case someone to make a shot error. Sadly they might not ever know the cause was a playing partner was fidgeting about. Another reason its so important to take golf course courtesy to heart.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Dont stand behind me, and to cure it, I will back up til you have to move. If that doesnt work, I will ask you not to stand behind me, if that doesnt work,,I will motion to move away until the guy moves.

The two reasons others want to stand behind you is to just watch the ball flight and the second is they think it wont bother you since it doesnt bother them. I dont need them to track my ball, and it does bother me.

• Haha 1

To me behind is, down the line. i.e. to the right of a right handed golfer at address. Personally , don't care where playing partners stand, just don't crowd me. Have a regular playing partner that crowd's and has a nasty habit of beginning to "step" into the teeing area before the player is finished his/her swing. Does the same on the putting green.

I know "that" guy and I'll pull a Tiger, stop at top of back swing reset move just to erk him. laugh.gif

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I was always taught that when a player is hitting I should be able to see one pair of cheeks - either on his face or on his butt. If I could see one of each I was standing in the wrong place. That rule of thumb has never failed.

In a match that rule can change a little, but gamesmanship is a different topic altogether.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Playing tournament golf growing up with coaches and players and scorers it gets crowded on the tee. It's normal to stand close to the player teeing off directly in front of him, which is where his toes are pointing. Never stood close behind him (where his heels are pointing) and NEVER to his right (direction of his backswing).

[quote name='Shwagin1066' timestamp='1323460734' post='3917409']
The proper etiquette for a right hander golfer would be to stand behind and to the right about 5 paces each way. If he is Lefty, same thing on the left side. While you may still BARELY be in his peripheral vision, this is considered more proper than being behind his back completely out of sight.
[/quote]

I think this is the best answer. I want to be able to see the people behind me out of the corner of my eye. This way I can tell when they stopped moving and are paying attention to the fact that I am going to hit. If they are out of my vision I dont know what they are doing and cant focus as well. When they think you cant see them they are more likely to move and make noise cause they think I cant see them, so they make a pratice swing or some other movement that can make a distracting noise. But if they know you can see them they will be more quiet and still

Sometimes if I sence a guy is strugling to find his swing que or seems uncomfortable I will ask where he would prefer I stand when he is hitting. And if someone is standing where I cant see them and repeatedly distracting me by moving or making noise I will also ask him where he would like me to stand so he will counter with, where do you want me to stand when you are hitting so I can politly tell him what I would prefer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent.

Played with a guy that, on the very first tee, told me "do you mind - I don't like anyone standing behind me while I hit."

I was about 20 yards behind him just off of the cart path.

So...

I moved over behind the cart and he hit. He moved only about 10 yards behind the tee area and there he stood while I teed it up. I turned around and said "Your turn. Now you can move too."

He moved back to the cart and then asked me if I really minded where people stood. I replied that I didn't but if someone is going to tell me to move when I am already that far away two can play at that game.

He apologized, told me he just hates when people wiggle around behind him, and we ended up having a great time together and a good round. And no, we didn't make each other move any more. He was just in the habit of doing what he did I guess because he had played with people that were moving all over the place around and behind him while he was addressing the ball.

I personally am so much into my shot that I could not care less where anyone behind me is so long as they aren't going to get nailed by my backswing. The normal group of guys I play with are also pretty good about not caring but not walking and talking when others are hitting.

Now if you want to get my gander up a bit, hit out of turn on the tee. Everywhere else I like playing "ready golf", but when I made a bird and you made a double don't even think about getting up there first. I earned that right! That could be the makings up an entire new thread. "Anyone else bothered when someone takes your honors?"

This one guy a couple of months ago was up on the tee first each and every hole. At first I just let it ride. But then, on a hard par 3, I managed a great tee shot and made the bird. He walked up to the next tee even though I was already there sizing things up and figuring my shot, and started to put his ball on the tee. "Hey, you beat a bird did you?" He replied "I thought we were playing ready golf." To this I said "we are, and I am ready."

Drives me nuts when people do that. Sort of like line jumpers I guess.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1323472417' post='3918209']
[quote name='Shwagin1066' timestamp='1323460734' post='3917409']
[/quote]

I think this is the best answer. I want to be able to see the people behind me out of the corner of my eye. This way I can tell when they stopped moving and are paying attention to the fact that I am going to hit. If they are out of my vision I dont know what they are doing and cant focus as well. When they think you cant see them they are more likely to move and make noise cause they think I cant see them, so they make a pratice swing or some other movement that can make a distracting noise. But if they know you can see them they will be more quiet and still

Sometimes if I sence a guy is strugling to find his swing que or seems uncomfortable I will ask where he would prefer I stand when he is hitting. And if someone is standing where I cant see them and repeatedly distracting me by moving or making noise I will also ask him where he would like me to stand so he will counter with, where do you want me to stand when you are hitting so I can politly tell him what I would prefer. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent.
[/quote]

Despite some of the other replies in this thread it is also absolutely the correct answer.

To me, behind me means you're looking down the line or to my right. I personally don't care where you stand but just ask you to be still after I address the ball. To do otherwise is rudeness and like Captain Woodrow Call, "I can't stand rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Good question and can be answered in so many ways based on the actual situation.

What I go by is simple, I try to never be in a position were I can see that person "[b]eye's"[/b] when they are putting or hitting. If I can, then they can see me which is not good in my book and this is how I explain it to other people. Simple rule to live by if you are not sure and what I feel is proper golf etiquette.

When it's my turn to play, I want the same treatment.........BUT, it all depends on the situation.

Example, your playing in a scramble......you better get use to someone standing behind you while you putt unless your the last person to putt, so be it.

If your all standing on a tee box and there is no real room to side to the sides, and the place to stand is behind the player, then so be it also.

My biggest issue is when people do not even attempt to stand in a proper position while you putt or drive. Now to be honest, I really could care less as it really [b]does not[/b] bother me, but it just bothers me that people just do not know nor even attempt to learn basic golf etiquette before setting foot out there with certain people.

Golf has changed and etiquette is a lost art form at this point at most levels, so sad.

I know "that" guy and I'll pull a Tiger, stop at top of back swing reset move just to erk him. laugh.gif

Good advice. I'll give it a try.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Standing in the the players line is poor etiquette, especially on the green. Some folks, mostly older, like to stand their because they have trouble picking up the shot off the clubface, others are just clueless., others are desperate for a read. I have learned to hit ignore them. It's easier than to hit the shot then tell them to move. The times I have asked guys to move, I would normally hit a bad shot. I used to have trouble in these situations so my coach would purposefully try to annoy me during some playing lessons - those were pretty effective training sessions.

This past weekend I played with a guy that set up in the left side of the tee box while golfers were over their ball on the right side of the tee. I've seen him do it a number of times in the past 3 years. Rummaging through his pocket for a tee, moving all over the place; it's just about the most discourteous habit I've been around. I asked him politely to stop on the 3rd hole after he had done it to my partner 3 times in the first 3 holes. He did it to me on the 11th hole and I had a few words with the guy. He said he didn't realize he was doing it, and then later he said he "knew who he could get away with it."

It doesn't much matter where folks stand, just stand still and be quiet. At pro events they stand very close to the golfer on some tees, but they don't act like they're in a hurry to get anywhere like a club golfer whose wife and kids are waiting at home.

I'm sorry there is just no debate here. The proper place to stand is back and to the right for a righty and back and to the left for a lefty. That is it. Watch a pro tournament or play in any Amateur event and no one stands anywhere else.

This is just like with pool. If you are close to the table and its notnot ur shot, don't standknow directly down someone's shot line. There's no2 rule but it pretty standard etiquette. Don't stand near someone's target line. Not that big of deal really, though, in my mind.

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

[quote name='Shwagin1066' timestamp='1323556973' post='3921801']
I'm sorry there is just no debate here. The proper place to stand is back and to the right for a righty and back and to the left for a lefty. That is it. Watch a pro tournament or play in any Amateur event and no one stands anywhere else.
[/quote]

I agree.

And the place to avoid is behind the player's back where he can't see you. That's the only thing that unsettles me as I'm not sure it's safe to swing.

And these should apply when you're in close quarters. If you're 20 yards away, don't move and you're fine.

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1323470047' post='3918071']
I was always taught that when a player is hitting I should be able to see one pair of cheeks - either on his face or on his butt. If I could see one of each I was standing in the wrong place. That rule of thumb has never failed.

In a match that rule can change a little, but gamesmanship is a different topic altogether.
[/quote]

This is what I go by as well. The only time I setup behind the target line of a fellow golfer (or have them stand behind mine) is if a spotter is needed.