Standing "Behind" Someone

I don't get all that bothered by someone standing behind me when I putt because it takes a lot to throw me off my focus when putting.

What kills me is when someone makes a movement while I'm hitting irons or a drive. Had this happen a week ago...was playing out of my shoes for the first 8 holes and licking my chops. Then on 9 had a very simple 110 yard shot to the green. In the middle of my backswing my caddie who was about 40yards ahead of me starts walking across the fairway directly in my line. I see him out of the corner of my eye and completely duffed my shot.

Certainly had a few words with him after that shot.

Hmm, getting distracted by someone 40 yards away? I can see that happening but still.

Hey Q. Maybe should have been clearer in my description. I don't get easily bothered by distractions but he was literally walking in front of my shot while my swing was in motion...not standing still.

As a kid I never caddied, but thought about it and did attend an orientation session when I was about 13. The only thing I remember from that day was being told "don't stand behind the golfer." That statement confused me then, and continues to do so. Where is "behind?"

Is it to the golfer's rear (butt side)? That makes sense to me as it meets the common definition of behind. However, golf-wise that seems like the proper spot as you would be out of the golfer's field of vision.

Or, in golf, does behind mean down the target line (to the golfer's right as he addresses the ball). To me that could be considered behind as it's behind the direction of play. Plus it potentially could be in the golfer's line of sight.

As I've always struggled with "where" stand when partnered with someone I usually focus on the "how far" away part and make sure I'm not even close enough to be crowding. I also make sure I'm still.

Where is your "behind"?

Behind the golfer, and behind the ball are the distinctions you should be aware of, i think.

Played with a guy that, on the very first tee, told me "do you mind - I don't like anyone standing behind me while I hit."

I was about 20 yards behind him just off of the cart path.

So...

I moved over behind the cart and he hit. He moved only about 10 yards behind the tee area and there he stood while I teed it up. I turned around and said "Your turn. Now you can move too."

He moved back to the cart and then asked me if I really minded where people stood. I replied that I didn't but if someone is going to tell me to move when I am already that far away two can play at that game.

He apologized, told me he just hates when people wiggle around behind him, and we ended up having a great time together and a good round. And no, we didn't make each other move any more. He was just in the habit of doing what he did I guess because he had played with people that were moving all over the place around and behind him while he was addressing the ball.

I personally am so much into my shot that I could not care less where anyone behind me is so long as they aren't going to get nailed by my backswing. The normal group of guys I play with are also pretty good about not caring but not walking and talking when others are hitting.

Now if you want to get my gander up a bit, hit out of turn on the tee. Everywhere else I like playing "ready golf", but when I made a bird and you made a double don't even think about getting up there first. I earned that right! That could be the makings up an entire new thread. "Anyone else bothered when someone takes your honors?"

This one guy a couple of months ago was up on the tee first each and every hole. At first I just let it ride. But then, on a hard par 3, I managed a great tee shot and made the bird. He walked up to the next tee even though I was already there sizing things up and figuring my shot, and started to put his ball on the tee. "Hey, you beat a bird did you?" He replied "I thought we were playing ready golf." To this I said "we are, and I am ready."

Drives me nuts when people do that. Sort of like line jumpers I guess.

Totally agree. In a match keeping the box is a very good thing. And when I get on a run I'll put the hammer down to keep the box. If some a** decided to jump I'd let him hit then inform him he hit out of turn and make him hit again. Two can play that game.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Interesting. I've played a lot of golf and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with someone being directly behind (as in you're staring at their back) the person hitting. I guess I could see it as being unsettling if you thought they might be close enough to be hit, but I've never given that much thought as I'd hope that whomever is playing with me is smart enough to not get hit with a backswing. I know it's generally taboo to stand directly behind the shot line. I remember as a youth, my uncle chewed my butt big time because I was there-probably 30ft back just as I'd been the entire round except this time he hit a bad shot so it was an issue. I wasn't moving and I think he just wanted an outlet to blame his bad shot on so lesson learned. All that said I have a very hard time following my own tee shot. I encourage someone to stand there to track my shot, provided they're not right on top of me and not doing a rain dance or something. For me it's a combination of aging eyes (and being too stubborn to admit it probably-I pass my driving vision tests!) and training myself to watch the impact point instead of lifting my head early. I'm almost at the point where I won't play a solo round due to this. I can tell if it's left right or straight generally but it makes finding it a bear at best. I might see one in three tee balls with driver.

Behind not in the literal sense but in terms of your target line. I play with a buddy of mine who is notorious for standing behind. I don't mind it as much but you have to be very still. There are those players who intentionally stand behind other players and figit away becoming a distraction. Best is to stand either directly behind them as not to be in their periferal vision.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I didn’t want to say this, but having brought an “almost 6 years old” thread, which happens to include the word “behind” in the title makes me say it, after the lengthy discussion in http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1519562-the-drop-by-spieth/

Is it really a coincidence? LOL (If you didn't read that thread, my advice is DON'T DO IT! LOL)

I guess we’ll have to search for the new implications of anything “left behind”.

Have a good day and an even better weekend! :victory:

A problem with standing behind someone on their line, is that peripheral vision makes you look closer than you are.

Also almost nobody stands completely still and many who stand behind start walking in the middle of the guys swing.

Some think they can see better that way. I don't think it helps.

Stand to the hitters chest side, if you can. On about half the tees, you will be on the hitters butt side, which is also OK.

When a tour caddie takes the bag away after club selection, where does he go? About 7-10 yards on the golfer's chest side.

When someone asks you not to stand behind them, odds are you have done it multiple times and they are tired of it.

Yes some say it doesn't bother them, but that doesn't make it OK. Maybe they don't need their concentration.

Being in my 70's I have a hard time picking up the ball flight if I'm not near the target line. I play in a senior league and as my habit was near the target line and about 8 to 10 yds back when another player asked me to move as that bothered him. The last thing I want to do is interfere with another player so I moved. After he hits he asked If I saw where it went "nope". After 2 lost balls and penalties he decided it would be fine if I stood where I could see the play flight. Seems as it wasn't that much of a bother after all.

A problem with standing behind someone on their line, is that peripheral vision makes you look closer than you are.

Also almost nobody stands completely still and many who stand behind start walking in the middle of the guys swing.

When someone asks you not to stand behind them, odds are you have done it multiple times and they are tired of it.

This ^^^

My absolute pet hate, I don't mind it too much on the tee box on the first on comp days when the round is starting and there is a collection of people building to tee off.

But after that move away, it's a golf course, there's no need. Part of the thing I enjoy about golf is the quiet and space that is associated.

I regularly tell people to move out from behind me (but usually after I've given them the benefit of the doubt on a shot or two), I played basketball for 25 odd years at a reasonably high level and my peripheral vision is pretty tuned so it does my nut in.

• 6 years later...
On 12/10/2011 at 9:42 AM, Shwagin1066 said:

I'm sorry there is just no debate here. The proper place to stand is back and to the right for a righty and back and to the left for a lefty. That is it. Watch a pro tournament or play in any Amateur event and no one stands anywhere else.

One single solitary soul directly behind you whether on the tee box, hitting from the fairway, chipping, or on the green is simply improper and rude.  Watch a caddy, and do exactly what they do, and all will be good.  Golf is hard enough without any outside distractions IMHO.

Even " 6 " years ago I found this to be poor etiquette.  As a name pro once told our group in a pro am on the first tee, "when I'm hitting just stand where you're opposite the front of me or the back of me,  preferably the front".

And then there's my request to be quiet, and don't move for the 20 seconds before I hit my shot. Reducing your chatter to a whisper doesn't help, its actually worse.        

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Forget the topic, I'm more curious how somebody found a topic that hasn't been touched in 6 years.

I think that 75 posts are needed to get into BST. They aren't required to be meaningful or enlightening. So, they start somewhere. 😉

• Haha 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Growing up in NY and playing on LI where pace of play is a great source of tension, it was always common for 3 golfers to stand behind you on the tee to ensure your tee shot was found,spotted or followed into trouble, all done quietly and still. That’s considered poor etiquette in the south. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

Growing up in NY and playing on LI where pace of play is a great source of tension, it was always common for 3 golfers to stand behind you on the tee to ensure your tee shot was found,spotted or followed into trouble, all done quietly and still. That’s considered poor etiquette in the south. 

This SHOULD be the etiquette on all tee box driving holes. Especially if guys in your group aren’t exactly straight hitters. 

Let’s start the campaign and make it so. 

49 minutes ago, Augster said:

This SHOULD be the etiquette on all tee box driving holes. Especially if guys in your group aren’t exactly straight hitters. 

Let’s start the campaign and make it so. 

What about standing off to the side?  I don't have any problem following the ball from the side, just have to pay attention.  I played with one player who couldn't stand anyone behind him (on an extension of his line of play) and wouldn't play until everyone had moved away (and he was a stickler for proper etiquette for himself and others).

Edited by rogolf

I could care less where you stand. Don't even care if you are talking. Then again I wear hearing aids so I probably can't hear you anyways!  I intentionally put my cart inches from my ball to improve concentration. 

Everyone is different. The proper

thing is don't stand in line, or as said, behind the player. And be quiet. 

If you are so annoyed by seeing people or hearing people when you play, we probably won't be playing together anyways. 

I don't care, but I played with a lady in a tournament that would complain if you were 10 yards behind her or in front of her (basically if she looked up). It was weird.

She could never play in a tournament with a gallery! She wasn't even very good but she definitely wasn't an enjoyable playing partner. Another person got a curt "don't talk to me during the round" on hole 1. 

In my last tournament, one of my partners would stand directly behind me; he was analyzing my swing as he has been working on some similar things. He complimented me later and I didn't mind. As long as it wasn't because I am a train wreck!

Edited by RoyalMustang

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 12:58 PM, mickpiper said:

One single solitary soul directly behind you whether on the tee box, hitting from the fairway, chipping, or on the green is simply improper and rude.  Watch a caddy, and do exactly what they do, and all will be good.  Golf is hard enough without any outside distractions IMHO.

that’s why I said back and to the right, aka not directly behind them 

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport