2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

DEC. 20 CHAT WITH TAYLORMADE (Read what TMag replied to all of your questions pg 12)

HipCheck

Sakman asked a similar question, but I'd like to know about what the possibility of the speed slot being moved into other clubs like hybrids and drivers? What would be the benefits and what are the current limitations that are preventing it from happening at this point?

What was the reasoning between the three different price points now?

How far away are we from seeing adjustability in irons--is this something we will in game improvement irons or can the technology be applied to irons for all different levels of players?

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is simple. With all of the breakthroughs that Taylormade has had in the past few years (the replaceable face wedges, the 5 layer ball, adjustable drivers, white putters and driver) what's next? How will the brand continue to move forward and grow? It seems like so much has been accomplished so quickly, how much longer will you keep releasing great products?

TMag,
As a relatively new to TaylorMade consumer (been playing golf for years just never really got into TMag product), my question as a club ho is this:

What all lofts will be available in the RBZ line of fairways, and what are the differences in the RBZ driver and R11s? I noticed the speed pocket isn't on the RBZ driver also, how would this effect distance versus the RBZ fairways that are reported to be longer than any previous model? My reasoning behind that question is in relation to gapping.

My other question is a more general one in relation to one of your technologies. That tech is MWT. I own an R11 and believe in it, but I've read studies by highly respected individuals in the industry and such reporting that MWT is a placebo effect as opposed to the relocation of weight having an actual effect on flight. The number they keep throwing out for the amount of weight that has to be relocated to change flight and it not be placebo is 40 grams. I'm curious as to how that has been debunked, as I believe the MWT works as they're looking at it from the grams of the weights and not considering the actual weighting bias differences when moving one weight from heel to toe actually being double the bias weight difference (example relocating a 10 gram weight actually changes the polar weighting by 20 grams as you're subtracting it from one pole and moving it to the opposite pole, this adding that weight again). Just curious if someone could provide a technical explaination as to how it works.

And lastly, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and providing this opportunity.

I'm intrigued by this latest line of offerings. Taylormade was arguably one of the first to go after the light-weight shaft and light-weight head market, trying to add distance for the higher handicap/lower swing speed players. The Superfast lines are pretty much the ultimate fruition of this kind of innovation. This drew mixed reviews among our fair community (though was ultimately super-popular), depending on who you talked to, as a lot of lower handicapped players found this to be a pain to get the right swing weight and balance in their clubs, but at the same time was very popular to the less-nuanced audience, who definitely found the benefits in the Superfast technology. My question is this: After many competitors have also moved to this technology, from Adams to Cleveland, why is it you are now (seemingly) moving away from it with the RBZ line, or are you? I have to say that from my point-of-view, it seems that you are and that actually is very refreshing for me. lighter weight doesn't always have to = distance, nor do 48" shafts (which I think are ridiculous in a non-long driving situation), and I'm glad that so far, it seems that isn't your approach.

Can't wait for the chat. I'm off that day so it will be awesome timing for me. :)

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

I have a question in which I can never seem to get an answer:
Why doesn't any OEM make a more forgiving, longer distance set of irons for the aging better players who have played "players" clubs all of their lives, that tends to play a draw and now is looking for some help but WITHOUT the offsets all of these clubs have?

There is a big group of people in the baby-boomer category who learned with and have played non-offset blades and blade-like profile cavity backs.

I am a +1 to 1 hdcp, 59 yr old small guy (5' 7"- 150 lbs) similar in size to Pavin and Sluman. Right now I am playing the R9 TP-Bs, after this I don't have a place to go an I have tried everything current. How about a "B" version of the R11's?

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Who is your target market for the RBZ series?

Do you think sales will exceed the R11?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

my question is about adjustability.

now you can have five different lofts on the same driver, in the past with the 440 r11 you offered two lofts, 9 & 10.5. would you offer also two lofts? what wolud they be? or only one? as a 10 can go from 7.5 up to 12.5.. tnx for this great chance of getting something that will knock out my i15 3 wood.

[size=2]G25 8.5° phenom NL 60 s[/size]
[size=2]xcg7 13° fuel ts 70 s[/size]
[size=2]G20 16.5° nvs 85 s tipped 1.75"[/size]
[size=2]G20 3,4,5 & 6 hybrids nv 105 s[/size]
[size=2]G25 7-u irons s300 ssx1 +1"[/size]
[size=2]EYE XG s & l wedges 8 iron x100[/size]
[size=2]G2 ally c ss fatso 5.0[/size]

Yet again TaylorMade reaches out to the envelope of evolution.............

Question.............The new 3 wood looks like it will be a huge success. Are you considering this technology for your other fairway and hybrid offerings?

P.S............R11S will have a huge impact and love the changes you've made from the original R11.................You've improved an already excellent product and made it even better.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

The rbz chanel looks deeper and wider allso not on the crown this looks much better then the f11 to me, so how does it compair to the adams f11 ? Ide so give my right rocket ball for one of those boxes please pick me lol. TY TaylorMade for all you do for us.

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

With the radical change in head design (speed slot), will we be seeing more traditional fairway wood lengths? Or will we continue to see longer shaft lengths as part of the equation for longer shots off the tee and fairway?

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.5* Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 915F 13.5* Diamana S+ 70X
Ping G 20.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 9.2X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW C-Taper 130X
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F, 54S, & 60K DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock #6 or Mizuno Bettinardi C-03

Are all of the TM Tour players on board with this new technology? Seems like it could get a little troublesome always having to change your numbers because the equipment is getting longer.

Also, How long did it take for TM to develop this new technology? Was it being developed even when the Burner technology was being introduced?

Why did TM decide to take advantage of the COR in fairway wood now and not previously? How do you think other OEM will follow TM in this innovation?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

The RBZ appears to have a very deep face compared to other fairways. I can see a benefit in this when the ball is hit from a tee but how will the deep face effect the club from a fairway lie?

Thanks.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

The 3 wood I am sold on with all the descriptors and hype. I need the distance. What I am curious about is why should i replace my R11 Driver for either an RBZ or R11S? I see the extra size in the R11S as well as added adjustability, but will I truly see any performance gains if COR is already maxed out? I recently went through a fitting at the TMAG performance lab here in Plano, TX and got fit for the R11, but now do I look at switching come February? It's a great experience that i recommend to all GolfWRXers.

Thank you for your time and the opportunity to interact with TMAG.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

What was the thought process behind changing the color scheme in the new RBZ line? Seeing as you have used red as one of your main colors in your lines of clubs, especially the Burner line, it seems that switching to green signifies a new direction in the marketing of your clubs. Did you switch to green after doing some type of research on the effects of aesthetics to consumers, or was it simply something you thought would be better looking and maybe separate the new RBZ line from the direction the Burner line was going in?

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

Lots of great questions.

My question is with the USGA restricting size and COR, what other factors besides lower weight are you researching to increase distance?

And related to the first questions, what areas are being researched to help the player with his consistency of ball striking, not just distance?

Thanks.

"what makes the average golfer choose either the R11 or RBZ lines over any other drivers out there right now?

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant