2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Greater Seattle - Best Public courses - top 10 list

parpar41

Do you agree with the big golf magazines??
According to the major golf mags, these are the 10 best public courses in the Greater Seattle area.

Do you agree?

1. Chambers Bay, University Place
2. Druids Glen, Covington
3. Gold Mountain (Olympic Course), Bremerton
4. Home Course, DuPont
5. McCormick Woods, Port Orchard
6. Newcastle (Coal Creek), Newcastle
7. Port Ludlow (Tide/Timber), Port Ludlow
8. Trophy Lake Golf & Casting, Port Orchard
9. Washington National, Auburn
10. Whitehorse, Kingston

A few important comments:

Golf Magazine; Golf Week and Golf Digest all publish course rankings from time to time; the list of 10 courses above is based on a mix of the lists in all three magazines; It is not my personal list. All I did was remove the courses located more than about 50 miles from the Seattle area. So please feel free to agree or disagree with the courses on the list.

Moreover, the list of 10 courses above is in alphabetical order; that means the courses are not in order of “quality” ( although Chamber's Bay just happens to end up in first place that way, too!)

Golf Magazine's list of the top 15 courses in each state is called “Best public courses in state”; all of these 10 courses have made it on to the Golf Magazine list at one time or another, although the Home Course and Whitehorse are no longer on the most recent (2010) GM list: http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/best-public-golf-courses-washington-2010

Golf Week's list of the top 10 courses in each state is called “Best courses you can play”; Only four of these 10 courses made it on to the GolfWeek list : Chamber's Bay; Gold Mountain; Port Ludlow and Trophy Lake, although Port Ludlow is no longer on the most recent (2011)GW list: http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/mar/10/golfweeks-best-courses-you-can-play/?RANKINGS-GolfweeksBest

Golf Digest's list of the top 10 courses includes private courses as well as public; its list is simply called “Best in State” ; Only two of these 10 courses made it onto the Golf Digest list: Chamber's Bay and Gold Mountain, although Gold Mountain is no longer on the most recent (2011-2012) GD list: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/washington

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1325006893' post='3992623']
According to the major golf mags, these are the 10 best public courses in the Greater Seattle area.

Do you agree?

1. Chambers Bay, University Place [b]I GUESS, BUT I'D PUT IT AT LOW ON TH LIST
[/b]2. Druids Glen, Covington [b]SURE, I PLAY THERE A LOT, GOOD TRACK
[/b]3. Gold Mountain (Olympic Course), Bremerton [b] DEFINITELY
[/b]4. Home Course, DuPont [b]MOST DEFINITELY!!!
[/b]5. McCormick Woods, Port Orchard [b]NO CHANCE IN HELL
[/b]6. Newcastle (Coal Creek), Newcastle [b]NOT COAL CREEK, HATE THAT COURSE
[/b]7. Port Ludlow (Tide/Timber), Port Ludlow NEVE[b]R PLAYED IT
[/b]8. Trophy Lake Golf & Casting, Port Orchard [b]5 YEARS AGO? OH YA! SINCE OKI TOOK OVER PROBABLY NOT. COULD BE AGAIN
[/b]9. Washington National, Auburn [b]DECENT COURSE, HATE THE SERVICE. THE LAST FEW TIMES THEY WERE *****S AND IT'S OVERPRICED
[/b]10. Whitehorse, Kingston [b]HAVE ONLY HEARD NEGATIVE REVIEWS.

[/b]Suncadia Prospector is in my opinion the best in the state, that i've played. It has everything you could ever want.

Mccormick Woods shouls not be on the list, but most of the top public courses are listed. If i made a list it would be:

1-chambers bay
2- Gold Mountain (olympic).... Im so biased as it's my home course though
3-The Home Course
4-Druids Glen*
5- Washington National*
6-Newcastle*
7-Trophy Lake
8-Whitehorse (conditions have improved alot out there)
9-Port Ludlow
10-Fort Lewis Golf course (also biased about this one as it was where I won my first tournement when I shot even par on 9)

*- have not played this course

I think the state has some solid course that are all good but few stand out as "must" plays.

I would add Chambers Bay, Gold Mountain and Suncadia Prospector to that list.

Some solid choices would be, Wa. Nat., Trophy Lake, Druids, Lake Spanaway, Apple Tree, Port Ludlow, Whitehorse, Desert Canyon.

Also these I have not played but I have heard so much about. Most of these are in Eastern Wa. which not one was listed.
Wine Valley, Paluose Ridge, Suncadia Rope Rider, Canyon Lakes

Also, I did not see Loomis Trail on the list which I have not played but hear plenty about.

The main meca for golf in this state is really in four areas,
Bellingham, Tacoma, Bremerton, and Spokane.

I love playing Chambers, Gold Mountain, Prospector, Lake Chelan, and Apple Tree

[quote name='ninothing' timestamp='1325156107' post='4000069']
Generally, how is the weather in the Seattle region in late April? Considering making a trip to Chambers Bay - what should I expect?
[/quote]

Expect 50's. Might be nice out might be drizzling. Hopefully it works out for you weather wise.

I love Chambers but if it's wet it's no fun on the greens. The time I played it when it sprinkled a few times. They had just done a sanding. Sand would collect on the ball as it was rolling.

Whitehorse is a very nice course. Don't know why it would get negative reviews. I heard they've made it a bit easier since opening. It's out of the way, but a very challenging course. Plus out of the way means not crowded!!

I'm not going to comment on courses I havn't played.

My favorite ones are Druids Glen, Chambers, White Horse, Home Course, Trophy Lake, Wash. National (def overpriced in summer for primetime rate), Lake Spanaway.

1) Gold Mountain Olympic Course (2006 USGA Pub Links..over an hour drive over the Narrows bridge or a 1 hour ferry ride from Seattle)
2)Home Course (Assisting Course for 2010 US Am at Chamber's Bay). Fun course and you can play it up to 7400+ from the tips.
3) Chamber's Bay-Great view and 2015 US Open...greens are sketchy at best. I don't see how they will get them going for the 2015 US Open?? With such a short growing season and fungus problems they are still not mature for a course open since 2007. Fun track though.

All of these courses are at least 50+ minutes from Seattle without traffic. If you are pressed for time and want something local just note that Seattle is not a great golfing city. 3 Munis in Seattle with West Seattle being the best of the 3. Usually in pretty good shape and some great views of the city on the back 9. 10 minutes from downtown and under $40.

Newcastle-20 minutes from Seattle but way overpriced in my opinion. I agree with an earlier poster that Coal Creek is not a great course (but it is the most expensive). I would not take an out of town guest there for $125.

Washington National-Home course for UW..fun but still 40+ minutes away from Seattle.

Whitehorse-Hard to get there (Ferry ride)..greens are hard as a rock

McCormick Woods-Good greens, excellent sliding price scale...surprised that so many locals hate that course.

Have fun and bring your rain gear!!

[quote name='kingsalmon' timestamp='1325713476' post='4028801']
Also right in Seattle is Jefferson Park. Not a bad little muni track, and add the Fred Couples factor.
[/quote]

What is "the Fred Couples factor?"

I looked up the course to see if I could figure it out. Discovered it was designed by Tom Bendelow in 1915. Wonder if anything original remains? Could be interesting to visit, a bit of a history lesson.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1325768524' post='4031777']
[quote name='kingsalmon' timestamp='1325713476' post='4028801']
Also right in Seattle is Jefferson Park. Not a bad little muni track, and add the Fred Couples factor.
[/quote]

[b]What is "the Fred Couples factor?"[/b][size="5"][/size]
I looked up the course to see if I could figure it out. Discovered it was designed by Tom Bendelow in 1915. Wonder if anything original remains? Could be interesting to visit, a bit of a history lesson.
[/quote]

IIRC, Freddy grew up playing the course and his father was the greenskeeper (either there or another local muni).

Legion Memorial is a pretty simple track up in Everett, seems to be the driest in the area. Weekend round can be very slow, but weekdays are pretty good.
The greens always look good but are very inconsistent.
Whitehorse is a tough track designed by Pete Dye's niece. Recently purchased by a local tribe and they have worked to improve playability by removing some bunkers. Greens should be improving with age.
McCormick Woods- I played it once and won't go back unless it's free, and maybe not then.
Snohomish Golf course is a fun, challenging track in the early summer. Poor Drainage in winter.
Gold mountain courses are nice.
Home Course and Chambers Bay are the best conditioned courses that I've played in the greater Puget sound area.
Of couse alot of the courses are great in the summer.
I just joined up w/ Jorgensen golf out of Mukieltio. ( [url="http://www.jorgensengolf.com/%20)You"]http://www.jorgensengolf.com/ )[/url] You can carry your GHIN handicap through their site and they have tournements through out the area every Saturday and some Wednesdays at some great courses. Looking forward to meeting some new people and playing some new tracks.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I enjoyed McCormick Woods the one time I was out there, it was August so it was a little brown but the design is great. Pretty tough from the tips especially if you have never played there though. Druids is also a good course, but can get soggy quite quickly. Port Ludlow is an absolute beauty too. Love that place, I just wish they would open the 3rd nine hole course that they shut down a while ago.

• 10 months later...

Don't know why McCormick Woods is so hated. I love the track. OB's on every hole i guess. Here is my list of 5 for favorite Washington courses.

1) Chambers Bay......nice experience...nice change from tight tree line fairways....slightly different style of golf....lots of low hit and run shots...distinctive holes
2) Suncadia......lush greenery everywhere.....distinctive holes....nice condition.
3) Harbor Pointe.......front side has lots of water while the back side has rolling terrain....distinctive holes....very fun course to play....little on the expensive side
4) Classic.......solid track....distinctive holes......undulating greens with greens raised......very challenging course....
5) Gold Mountain (Olympic)........solid track.....nice conditions usually....distinctive holes.

• 2 weeks later...

If you dont like McCormick Woods you are crazy. It might just be too tough for you. great track.... Another course that needs more love is Kayak Point. In the middle of nowhere and its not in great shape but the shot values are unmatched as far as public courses go in the seattle area

Epic Flash SZ 8° LA Golf Red Tie 60X
Epic Flash SZ 15° Tensei blue 75X
Apex 19 hybrid 18° KBS Proto 95X
Apex 19 hybrid 20° KBS Proto 95X
Apex pro 5-PW KBS $ TAPER 130
MD4 Raw 50°, 56° KBS $ TAPER 120
PM grind 2.0 60° KBS $TAPER 120
Toulon Las Vegas 

[quote name='bandonman91' timestamp='1355860016' post='6087009']
If you dont like McCormick Woods you are crazy. It might just be too tough for you. great track.... Another course that needs more love is Kayak Point. In the middle of nowhere and its not in great shape but the shot values are unmatched as far as public courses go in the seattle area
[/quote]

MCcormick woods is in the worst shape of any course around here. The fairways are so wet, and the last time I played in a tournament there, the greens must have been running at around a 6 on the stimp. It was pathetic. It's a nice layout, and can be nice in dry weather, but it is off limits for me in the winter.

[/quote]

Use to play it a lot when it was a young course....when I play it now I have to ask myself....are these really good golf holes on quite a few of them.

I played Port Ludlow on a visit a few years back. It was scenic and fun to play, some interesting holes but nothing really remarkable. At the time, they had 27-holes, the original RM Graves eighteen, (Tide and Timber nines), and a newer nine called the Trail. Just now looking at the satellite maps (checking out some of the courses mentioned in this thread) and it appears as if the new nine has been abandoned. Anyone with the scoop on that? I had heard it wasn't very good.

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote]
I like Kayak as well except for about 3 holes. #9, 10 and 11. Otherwise great layout.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Drove up with 3 others last weekend to play the Home Course. Portland courses have been frozen and closed and when we got the notification Sunday that Pumpkin Ridge was going to be closed again, we jumped in the car and headed up. Definitely worth the drive up. The course is maturing nicely. Greens were bumpy but for this time of year, not bad.

[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1359005274' post='6287193']
[/quote]
I like Kayak as well except for about 3 holes. #9, 10 and 11. Otherwise great layout.
[/quote]

You like hole 7? Hmmmm....any down hill hole is cool, but I cannot count how many drives I have hit there that I thought was ok and then turn out to be not. I agree with you on the other three. Funny, use to play there a fair amount when it opened and never thought much about those holes or others till you go back 25 years later and say...WTF were they thinking!