2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golf Digest 2012 Hot List Clubs

CBedo

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1325278923' post='4006475']
Smaller boutique companies have virtually no chance of getting in there. I'll admit that it's something I hold onto and read quite a bit, because it has a lot of club info in one place, and has a ton of equipment ads.
[/quote]

Did you look at the list? Not only the big boys.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think us WRXers need understand that 95% of the golfers have no idea about golf equipment. I don't mean that they are ignorant, I am just talking about how most people don't actually follow which 900 series titileist is selling now or which MP-50 something is available.

I think the GD Hot List serves a great purpose as a buying guide for the general golf population.

If there was a GolfWrx Hot List I would pay attention, but the Hot List after being on here for a while does seem a bit post dated. I guess we are a bit spoiled here.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='norge5' timestamp='1325286354' post='4006935']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1325277242' post='4006365']
I use it as one source of information on clubs that might fit my game and be worth trying out.
[/quote]

Best reply I've read so far on the subject.

What's not too like? It's just information put out there on clubs to consider. It doesn't proclaim to be the only source of information on clubs out there. For people who enjoy this site, I find it hard to believe they aren't also interested in reading the "Hot List." We read reviews and opinions on clubs on this site frequently. We don't necessarily know the qualifications or knowledge of equipment that the poster has. It shouldn't be an affirmation or an indictment of clubs. Just more information to consider.
[/quote]
Funny everyone here bags on the hotlist but what clubs do the majority of players here use..... Ap2, and taylormade....just like the hotlist, the big ads and what the tour guys use so it has tons of merit...... I would bet more than half of the golfers here go into a store with a preconceived decision already made on what clubs there going to get..... Where do you think those preconceived notions came from...... That's right , all the ads.... Hotlist and other magazine reviews and what they see tour guys on T.V. Using.......... So this process works though most on Here will never admit it, they are no different than Johnny "I just started golfing" yesterday......

There is a big demand for these reviews.......... If there wasn't than the ap2 and burner, razr hawk wouldn't be selling so many clubs........ They' re are plenty of other clubs that are just as effective and would produce the same results/ score but they never even get a
Chance....... If they do get a chance the favoritism to swing the way of the majority or most popular has already diminished it's chances so it would have to be incredible to change ones mind.......people are the same wherever you go or whatever sport,.. They want to fit in and have the coolest latest stuff regardless, it's the American way!!!!...... Yes I have some of it too though I am definitely willing to go outside the box as some others are but for the most part Wilson staff has no chance regardless if they're stuff is as good as titty or not....... Marketing is very ingenious, they study human behavior and know all of this..... Pretty clever and smart people, a lot of you prolly aren't even aware of this and think your not this way but I guarantee you are and just don't know it.....

The purpose of golf magazines is to ... make money. They do this, primarily, by ... selling advertising (no magazine survives by subscription fees ... the bulk of their revenue comes from ads). This is just ... truth. Not just in golf ... but in every sport ... or, in fact, in GQ or Vogue or ANY magazine. Content is driven by ad sales.

Not to say the edition isn't fun to read ... but I'd sure as hell never pick a club to play with based on a high rating in a "hot list" ...

Maybe I sound very cynical? But when a golf mag comes out with a 2012 hot list ... it is actually a list of the OEMs most likely to buy ad space in the mag in 2012.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='jrk' timestamp='1325299186' post='4007785']
In looking at the iron list, I don't understand why Mizuno, Callaway, Adams, etc. all have their blade/mb's offered, but no Titleist MB.
[/quote]

Good point, but at least they tested some MB's/blades this year. The writers at GD last year said that there is no reason for anyone to use a MB/blade, therefore they didn't test them in 2011 (unless you include the short irons of the VR Pro Combos). I am assuming they got a good deal of backlash from their sponsors and readers over this, so they relented this year and included them. All in all it's a good issue that I definitely go through a few times, and I personally don't think it's sponsor driven as some of the conspiracy theorists believe. I would like to see more Iron Byron testing, but as we all know, a robot can't tell you how a club feels, which is a big part of their data. At least put the drivers on the Byron and gives us the scoop.

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

To those that say it is based on ad dollars, popularity, or size of the company must not have been on the site after the 2011 list was released. The editors of the Hot List were on Golfwrx discussing the 2011 Hot List and debunked all of those comments. They also had a very thorough article on their website explaining how the Hot List is tested and compiled because of the discussion on Golfwrx.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

interesting mostly for pictures. I could care less because someone else is hitting a club and has a certain opinion of it. Half the time they only have what is available at time of the testing but many clubs still come out that aren't in the test. I also know a couple of the testers and I wouldn't take advice from them on golf equipment period..

I got mine today and immediately went to the irons because I sold mine and currently have none.

Im impatiently waiting to hit the i20's so I started there. Editors choice, good reviews, only complaint cast not forged. 6i- 30, PW- 46...guessing that they'll follow i15 lofts.

Anyway- what made me chuckle is they weren't a category leader (performance, innovation, look/sound/feel or demand). Yet they won editors choice. The irons that WERE listed as a catagory winner in 3 of the 4- the MP-59.....received Gold but not editors choice.

Late-

The Hot List is a source of information. Just like these forums are a source of information.
It's interesting, the thought, that this site would really be that much more valuable or precise, b/c it seems like everyone who gives an opinion here studied clubmaking at MIT and plays to a + handicap. People on this site DEFINITELY DO NOT HAVE brand name biases and they would NEVER LET THOSE BIASES influence their assessments of new products or technologies.
(Take a second to digest that.)
NOW, let's reexamine if GD Hot List is necessarily any better or worse.
It would be nice if they included more info on launch monitor numbers etc. But I do like that they include opinions from people of honestly differing skill levels. I have in the past given clubs a shot on the launch monitor that I normally wouldn't have, based on the list. I can't say I would ever just BUY something based on it's GDHL standing.

By the way, if it were all based on OEM ad buys, would there be anything else but TMAG on the list? They would just bought the whole issue and painted it white by now.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

I bought the Adams a7 irons because of 3 reasons

A) They had a great value-450 dollars for 6 irons and 2 hybrids-no other golf companies where offering anything close to this kind of package.

B) All of the information about these iron on the web-the majority of the information was from this web site.

C) The Adams A7 irons won had a gold in the game improvement category for irons. This however was a minor reason since I also read threads like these bashing the Golf Digest hot list.

I look forward to reading it. A highly rated club is going to peak my interest. As far as purchasing a club, it'll have to past [u]my[/u] requirements. Obviously the issue is catered towards large companies. Those looking for smaller names are not going to be looking at GD or publications for answers in the first place. These lists prompt more competition among manufacturers which is good for the consumers.

its an ok read

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 2 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Uh oh. I don't see a Kombi-S in the mallet section!

I was hoping for a blacked out, deep milled Kombi-S this year. :'(

Hope titty still releases a new version. I loved the Kombi-S when I rolled it a bunch of times (not the aluminum Kombi).

Grrrr...

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S 

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SUPER SELECT / GOLO 6 (H)

[quote name='Ballhound' timestamp='1325298091' post='4007699']
Golf Digests biggest selling issue for a reason. Compiles lists of popular equipment into one source of reference. The "Ho's" bible.
[/quote]

This, for me at least. I was so pissed when my wife threw out last year's issue after like a week. It's a reference, something to read, well, you know where. Central location showing lots of new clubs that I'll be looking to pick up used for a fraction of the new price 6-12 months from now.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

This is not a good example for the conspiracy theorists.....Nike bought their way into the golf business but now they can't afford ad space in Golf Digest?? LOL russian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gif

Its rigged, just how much the OEMs pay for advertising. talyormade and callaway always gets gold while nike no matter how good of a club they make always gets silver

Only to criticize how they do their ranking.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

say what you will about the list, but the GD ipad app is great, the pics from the Feb. Hot List issue look great on the ipad.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1325304533' post='4008203']
The Hot List is a source of information. Just like these forums are a source of information.
It's interesting, the thought, that this site would really be that much more valuable or precise, b/c it seems like everyone who gives an opinion here studied clubmaking at MIT and plays to a + handicap. People on this site DEFINITELY DO NOT HAVE brand name biases and they would NEVER LET THOSE BIASES influence their assessments of new products or technologies.
(Take a second to digest that.)
NOW, let's reexamine if GD Hot List is necessarily any better or worse.
It would be nice if they included more info on launch monitor numbers etc. But I do like that they include opinions from people of honestly differing skill levels. I have in the past given clubs a shot on the launch monitor that I normally wouldn't have, based on the list. I can't say I would ever just BUY something based on it's GDHL standing.

By the way, if it were all based on OEM ad buys, would there be anything else but TMAG on the list? They would just bought the whole issue and painted it white by now.
[/quote]

Agreed. You just have to take the hot list with a little grain of salt, because they tend to favor the bigger golf companies. You can pretty much guarantee that Titleist, TM, Callaway, and Ping will get quite a bit of gold, and then Cobra, Mizuno, Bridgestone will get the silver. Now, I'm not saying sometimes a company doesn't deserve gold, but if you put a big name company against a less known company people already have preconceived notions and will usually vote for the big name even if the less known was better for them.

That is why I come here for expert golf opinions. This forum is known for its objective opinions and lack of bias towards any one OEM.

The Hotlist has it faults, but at least they use the same metrics (even if there is some subjectivity) when evaluating clubs, and their results are validated in a controlled environment. Yes, I am still enticed to go buy a driver when I read some other poster on here can "stripe it 380 yards down the center of the fairway", but the Hotlist has is merits as well, and I find that there is a strong correlation between clubs that make the Hotlist and clubs that will find their way into my bag over the course of a season.

• M5 w/AD GP
    XR Pro w/AD BB
    Apex w/AD DI
    0311T 4 - PW w/PX LZ
    0311 50* 54* 58* w/PX LZ
    ER2

[quote name='cthoend' timestamp='1325348836' post='4009615']
That is why I come here for expert golf opinions. This forum is known for its objective opinions and lack of bias towards any one OEM.

The Hotlist has it faults, but at least they use the same metrics (even if there is some subjectivity) when evaluating clubs, and their results are validated in a controlled environment. Yes, I am still enticed to go buy a driver when I read some other poster on here can "stripe it 380 yards down the center of the fairway", but the Hotlist has is merits as well, and I find that there is a strong correlation between clubs that make the Hotlist and clubs that will find their way into my bag over the course of a season.
[/quote]

You really have to know who to listen to here though. To say there isn't bias on this forum is pretty laughable. Several people (including guys with 1K+ posts, who are active on the boards) have extreme bias, way more then golf digest even so you have to be careful

A couple of years ago i would say is when the OEM's "discovered" this site, since then there has been a ton of giveaways, invitations to visit OEM's facilities, special reports given to our media here, plants from OEM's posting here (i can't prove this but i've seen a few posters i'm positive were). There are a couple of people here in particular who are senior members and have visited major OEM's as parts of promotions, and i've seen both of these people jump all over anyone who bad mouths anything that OEM does since then. You really think we're that objective? The people who went to the kingdom last year said very clearly that TM has a huge interest in these boards and actively reads them. You don't really think they haven't thought of having a few temps sign up as posters and constantly pump TM right?

Just to be clear, i love the site. It's not the mods or owners fault. You can't control this type of stuff

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

i remember they had some ugly cobra putter rated as gold.

Also remember they rated Nike slingshot OS as editor's choice iron.

russian_roulette.gif

In the Bag:

Driver- M2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Mini Driver- X2hot Pro 12.5° Aldila Tour Green 70S
3 Wood- 915 F 15° Diamana S+ 70S
Hybrid- XR 19°
Irons- Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-PW
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 50°, 58°
Putter- Oddy#7 White Hot 34"