Golf Digest 2012 Hot List Clubs

CBedo

I have actually sold myself looking at that B.S. hot list!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jeffrey r' timestamp='1325338402' post='4009109']
[quote name='Ballhound' timestamp='1325298091' post='4007699']
Golf Digests biggest selling issue for a reason. Compiles lists of popular equipment into one source of reference. The "Ho's" bible.
[/quote]

This, for me at least. I was so pissed when my wife threw out last year's issue after like a week. It's a reference, something to read, well, you know where. Central location showing lots of new clubs that I'll be looking to pick up used for a fraction of the new price 6-12 months from now.
[/quote]
I agree it's a good reference point! I always keep mine for the year & look what I can ho for the next year.
As for the wife throwing out the mag! Two words: Divorce Lawyer! :)
Just kidding! My wife plays and looks at it from time to time and we play a lot together during the summer!

Putter? Whatever Works

I care about the "hot-list" as much as the guy on the radio telling me which politician is the best. Advertising dollars are the main motivator with that "list". I've seen so many garbage clubs get a gold or silver just because the manufacturer advertises heavily on GD.

So many different skill levels in golf. For a dedicated player the stock shafts don't mean anything anyway.

I enjoy reading the opinions and looking at the pics but it does not influence me one way or the other on what I purchase.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I love the Hot List. I still have last year's issue and continue to reference it when making purchases. I even went to a store and bought the current issue off the rack knowing I would get the same issue in the mail two days later. Because manufacturers dictate the retail price of clubs and because that price is almost always much higher than the true market value (Ebay), I find myself buying equipment at big discounts online without the benefit of extensive in-store testing or fitting.

I would much rather buy a year-old club at a big discount and see how it performs over several rounds on the course than pay full retail and make a decision based on a simulator. I can always unload it and not lose much. The Hot List is one of the best references to help me make decisions for my online purchases. I am much more interested in hearing what real golfers have to say as opposed to robotic testing.

My only complaint is that they didn't list all the products they tested like Consumer Reports would have. I want to know how a product tested even if it tested poorly.

I remember a few years ago was it Golf or Golf Digest had all the new woods and had an independent group, HotStix, test them all for length and dispersion. That was pretty informative but of course I see why they stopped doing, I'm sure there advertsing revenues from the losers dropped dramtically.

It's nice reading during these cold ohio winters but you have to go hit it to see for sure.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1325624640' post='4023233']
The only value I get is when they make sound files of the driver impact sound - I haven't checked if they did that this year.
[/quote]

That's incredible! I would love to hear that.

My take - I still like the Hot List, but indeed do take it with a grain of salt. I'm almost always focused on the driver and Players' irons, and then wedges. It's good reading, but it still takes personal preference (or bias) to determine the final decision.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1325627387' post='4023485']
It's kind of hilarious that only 5% of the rating is for demand yet no boutique company would EVER get on the list. meh.
[/quote]

Ever? Do you mean companies like Scor, Rife, Seemore, Scratch, Fourteen, Bettinardi, and Heavy? Because they've all made the list in the last two years alone?

Smaller boutique companies have virtually no chance of getting in there. I'll admit that it's something I hold onto and read quite a bit, because it has a lot of club info in one place, and has a ton of equipment ads.

Did you look at the list? Not only the big boys.

...and the smaller brands were treated like Jagdish, Flounder and Mustang at the Omega rush party in Animal House.

tumblr_lge39pbHaD1qaw48do1_500.png

Missed Muhammad....."We've already met. SUPER!!!!"

It is important to get this correct. The four gentleman are Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton.

Yesterday the Golf Digest Hot List arrived. In the past I have come to be disappointed but this year I was particularly excited because of there wide range of clubs that were going to be put to test. However, when I opened it up I was once again disappointed. All they had was the same old thing and seemed no different from the past. Biased unthurogh reviews of the big name brands. The funniest part was how the picked the R11s as the category leader in innovation. What exactly was so innovative about it? All they did was add 3 more option to the sole plate (which is just decoration to begin with) and increase the size from 440 cc to 460 cc. Also, have you noticed in the player comments section they only publish the most positive comments from the players, what about the other side of the story?! All in all it was just another let down. So what did you guys think of the 2012 hot list?

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1325624640' post='4023233']
The only value I get is when they make sound files of the driver impact sound - I haven't checked if they did that this year.
[/quote]

Yep, they're there.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[/font][font="Arial"]Golf Digest Senior Editor of Equipment Mike Stachura discussed the comprehensive process of the Hot List and addressed some of the complaints we've seen in this forum about the ninth-annual equipment review in a [b]Q&A Podcast[/b] with GolfDigest.com Editor Sam Weinman.

Let us know what you think after listening to the Podcast here: [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2012/01/podcast-discussing-the-2012-ho.html"]Podcast: Discussing the 2012 Hot List[/url]

[quote name='Bubb' timestamp='1325628622' post='4023603']
[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1325627387' post='4023485']
It's kind of hilarious that only 5% of the rating is for demand yet no boutique company would EVER get on the list. meh.
[/quote]

Ever? Do you mean companies like Scor, Rife, Seemore, Scratch, Fourteen, Bettinardi, and Heavy? Because they've all made the list in the last two years alone?
[/quote]

It looks like that was a 1 off

This list loses credibility without those companies. But we all know who they are marketing for anyway.

How is the Trusty Rusty wedge on that list? They should put the Ping Eye 2's on there since you can still get replacements.

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1325696595' post='4027389']
Funny the big 4 each get an editor's choice. Also every club is gold , not helpful at all.
[/quote]

great point Golfjunki71 -- as a lifelong journalist, that was truly hilarious...almost like a planned "let's give all our biggest potential advertisers a nice plug right at the FRONT of the article and let's give them EACH an attaboy so there are no ruffled feathers"

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1325385109' post='4011747']
One year, either Golf Digest or Golf Magazine put detailed specs in the magazine - amount of offset, length of blade, height of blade, etc., which I found to be very interesting in comparing clubs.
[/quote]

It was Golf Mag, at least two years ago I think. The dimension information was particularly useful (included topline thickness) in comparing "players" irons.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

They need to test MB irons. I found it dumb how they said the Titleist CB irons lacked forgiveness and therefore were docked points, well obviously it's not going to be forgiving! People who buy those irons aren't looking for forgiveness!

Taylormade SIM2 8° Fuji Pro 2.0 8
Titleist 910FD 13.5° D+Plus 80
Titleist 818H2 Tensei White
Mizuno MP-5 KBS C-Taper
SM6 52/08 & SM5 58/08

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

[quote name='Titleist710MB' timestamp='1325720683' post='4029419']
They need to test MB irons. I found it dumb how they said the Titleist CB irons lacked forgiveness and therefore were docked points, well obviously it's not going to be forgiving! People who buy those irons aren't looking for forgiveness!
[/quote]

there is a chance that there is a preposterous built in bias against "players clubs"; i believe one of the editors actually inferred here on golfwrx awhile back that [u][b]no one [/b][/u]should be playing MBs -- i'm a 7 hdcp -- i have tried to give cavity backs and even the odd GI iron a shot and i HATE the clunky look and awful feedback on shots; i'm not a pro by any stretch, but i hit my MBs more consistently -- for distance and dispersion -- than any cavity back i've tried

The "hot list" never fails to create controversey does it?

For some its a "Hot List", for others its a "Not List"
For some its a "Go List" for others just a "Ho List"

For me its simply the latest list of new equipment for the purpose of selling magazines and new/renewal subscriptions. It would be unrealistic to conclude there is not "some" degree of bias towards the largest OEMs responsible for huge adversting revenues for the magazine. That is not to say the information is untruthful, and not worth reading. I personally fine it very entertaining to read.

We all know it is best to test clubs yourself whenever possible, but testing all the new clubs is simply not possible. Given that reality, the greatest value of Magazine "Hot Lists" is to help you narrow down your personal list of the clubs you hope to test. For that, I give some credit to Golf Digest.

Unfortunately there are plenty of brands/clubs that would work great for you that will never appear in the "gold" section of the hot list. Those with a smaller market share, and a very small or non-existnet revnue contribuion to the magazine are obviously at a disadvantage.

It a very tough industry and it takes money to get attention and market share. Smaller equipment companies in the golf industry have been failing at an accelerating rate over the past decade, while companies like TaylorMade and Callaway have the R&D bucks and the advertising budgets to stay ahead of the curve. That trend would likely continue even in years when their latest clubs were not any better than those of much smaller OEMs.

:rolleyes:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

You just can't please everyone. The GD Hot List is based on opinions, just like GolfWRX equipment forums. Ask ten GolfWRX members to name the best irons, driver, putter, etc. and you will probably get ten different answers for each. It is all subjective. My guess is that GD will never please everyone because we are all different. I look forward to the Hot List and will continue to do so.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1325720265' post='4029397']
[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1325385109' post='4011747']
One year, either Golf Digest or Golf Magazine put detailed specs in the magazine - amount of offset, length of blade, height of blade, etc., which I found to be very interesting in comparing clubs.
[/quote]

It was Golf Mag, at least two years ago I think. The dimension information was particularly useful (included topline thickness) in comparing "players" irons.
[/quote]
It wasn't Golf Mag, it actually was Gd. The have dimensions 4 top lines & soles etc on the iPad version. I think a lot of stuff that's not in print is for space consideration. Publishing is taking a bath now and those little lines add up. Apparently the lens are spending as much as some think.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1325717434' post='4029187']
[quote name='wesr' timestamp='1325716844' post='4029143']
How is the Trusty Rusty wedge on that list?
[/quote]

Why shouldn't it be?
[/quote]

Because it first came out in 1990. And a big percent of the score is innovation. It's a good wedge, but this list is getting more pointless every year. I played one from 96-99. Duval shot 59 with it.